| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:21 am 
Huffs Nooch

lillianp wrote:
She thinks it's either a spasmed muscle or a strained muscle. And tendonitis or inflamed tendons or something in my shoulder. So yeah. Lots of time off which means it's time to work on my running times! Huzzah! (Well, once I give it another week or so for everything to calm down a little more)

Hey, speaking from experience (as someone who's trained for many years around a persistent lower back issue) I wouldn't be running if I had an injured muscle in that area. To be honest if your back is really sore you should just stop exercising for a while & focus on rehab. Then once you're on the mend IMO it's actually far safer to be in the gym using sensible exercises i.e. no conventional lifts (like squat, deadlift, bench) but exercises where you can keep you spine neutral to keep the pressure away from lower back muscles e.g. chins, dips, prolwer/sled for legs.

You can do a lot of pro-active stuff to increase the recovery time for back muscle issues - copious amounts of ibuprofen, ice the affected area for 10-15 mins every few hours & plenty of rolling (probably just something soft-ish like a foam roller to begin with, then progressing to something harder like a lacrosse ball). Good luck with the recovery.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

A) my doctor said it was fine. B) im not going for a run until my back stops actively hurting (which is mostly at this point) C) i disagree with your assertion that deadlifts and squats aren't sensible, they are whole body strengthening, i made a bad miscalculation one day and i should have known better. That does not make them insensible, just that i can't do them for another 5-6 weeks.

Im currently heating rather than icing because that feels good and seems to reduce pain. Taking this one day at a time and will probably wait and see if running's ok next week. Biking seems to be fine at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I feel like I haven't check in in forever! I just finished the second week of my first 5/3/1 cycle and I'm really enjoying it. I'm not lifting anything I've never lifted before, at this point, but I've set a few rep PRs (195x9 deadlift, 78x9 bench), front squats are going well, and I'm enjoying adding in more assistance work. Those bulgarian split squats w/dumbbells are literally the only thing that has ever made my glutes sore. Dear god. I'm slowwwwwly starting to work on back squats again as well. The fourth week of every cycle - next week for me - is supposed to be a deload week and while I'm tempted to skip it since my weights are still pretty low, I want to follow the program as written for a while before I start messing around with it.

My only gripe at the moment is that I'm having a lot of neck/shoulder pain, but I don't think it's lifting related - it's my right side (drawing/mousing hand) and I've always had issues there because I spend most of my time at a desk and my posture is terrible. I've been trying to make a conscious effort to sit up straight and keep my shoulders back and down and it's made me realize how awful I usually am by comparison - hunched forward, shoulders tight and scrunched up - it's no wonder they hurt. It's a hard thing to correct, though, because I have to be aware of it allllll the time. Ugh.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:50 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I know, I haven't checked in in forever either. 195 DL! Awesome. Glad you like 5-3-1 - Its good to get feedback on what everyone is working through. And I agree with you - Bulgarian split squats are the best-worst for glutes! I like those and split squats.

I'm working on Simply Shredded with some modifications for working at home. Got through week 1 and also added in a 5th day of just the Cathe STS leg day for strength. By doing so I'm essentially swapping a cardio day if I want to hit legs again, otherwise its too much. However, as I sllllooooowwwly cut a little fat I'm seeing that I don't have as much muscle as I thought? I'm trying to preserve what I have and maybe get a little stronger until I feel good to bulk, so I added in another leg day. Plus I just like it :) Her routine is 4 sets of back squats, stifflegged deadlifts, front squats, and split squats. Reps are 6-8 with 6 at 90% 1RM, 7 at 85%, and 8 at 80%. Yesterday I did 7 reps at 85% weight, and I am feeling it today for sure. Also, I'm noticing that doing proper back squats hits my glutes way more than when I was attempting them previously and using too much quad and hip flexor. I seem to be experiencing some good noob gains by starting over, because every week I'm able to add a little more and still go A2G.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

lillianp wrote:
A) my doctor said it was fine. B) im not going for a run until my back stops actively hurting (which is mostly at this point) C) i disagree with your assertion that deadlifts and squats aren't sensible, they are whole body strengthening, i made a bad miscalculation one day and i should have known better. That does not make them insensible, just that i can't do them for another 5-6 weeks.

Im currently heating rather than icing because that feels good and seems to reduce pain. Taking this one day at a time and will probably wait and see if running's ok next week. Biking seems to be fine at the moment.

Sorry I guess I was unclear in my previous post - regarding squat/deadlift I just meant they're best avoided whilst your back is recovering; I wasn't suggesting you give up on these exercises for good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:19 pm 

Thanks for yhe clarification Jim! I should say i was coming off work and had had a margarita so my self grouch censors werent working as well! I can't do aany arm strength training because ive got an inflamed rotator cuff. So I'm waiting six weeks for any weightlifting which sucks.

My lower back seems to be a little less sore, but i'm waiting until at least next week before adding anything besides biking or walking back in, such as running up stairs. Im so impatient!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

Hey everybody. Glad your all doing okay (or recovering back to okay in the near future, lillianp). Sucks not lifting!!

I have gotten so used to eating, eating, and more eating that it took a while to get back to normal food amounts without feeling weird. Progress is slow but it seems to be going in the right direction but I feel so lazy/guilty walking past all my lifting stuff every time I cross the room. I have been concentrating on cardio and that is going well except I have dropped 7 1/2 pounds which will be good in the long run because I can straight back into bulk mode when I start up again. 1 hour on the Nordic track followed by 1 hour on the bike is a killer cardio workout.

Yay for Bulgarian Split squats...love those: I should see if I can rig up a way to do those wearing plates over my shoulders.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:28 pm 

Ugh, I am having SUCH a hard time not eating as much. I pretty much am anyways. (And I can tell by how my jeans are fitting) My weight swings a bit anyways so I figure once I can get moving more in the future, it'll shift back down (especially with more sunlight!!). I may actually have to do an intentional micro-cut at some point. Not a fan!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:26 am 
Nailed to the V

lillianp wrote:
Ugh, I am having SUCH a hard time not eating as much. I pretty much am anyways.

I gave up on eating less and settled on adjusted the veg/fat/carb/protein levels to reduce the calories back down to where they need to be. Lots of veggies, smoothies (really basic without all the extras) and soups are fooling my stomach into believing it is in control.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Yay for Bulgarian Split squats...love those: I should see if I can rig up a way to do those wearing plates over my shoulders.

It might be a little bit of a pricier solution, but maybe keep your eyes peeled for a weight vest? I wonder if that would bug your shoulder? Its too bad we don't live by each other, you could pop over and try on mine and see if it works.

Also, eating less = sad times. I know this. I'm in maintenance week this week, just to give by system a rest from the cut, and I thought "yay, I get to eats more of the foods!" Except so far, I'm also somewhat deloading and haven't done cardio aside from walking in almost a week. Work is brutal and I can't get my arse out of bed in the morning, so my activity is down. This means not a lot of the extra food I was anticipating, and I'm bummed because I just got VCIYCJ and made the chocolate PB pillows, which are like 200 cal each I think. But so far I'm eating them anyway and no regrets. Nom nom nom.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

emmalv wrote:
It might be a little bit of a pricier solution, but maybe keep your eyes peeled for a weight vest?

Yes, that would be ideal but money towards more equipment right is not available. I am planning on selling some weight stuff to reinvest in other weight stuff and a vest is top of the buy list.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:11 pm 

I'm going to see if walking doesn't hurt the back. I'm hoping it doesn't!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:45 pm 

Emmalv, how do you plan your deload weeks?

Im starting to think that maybe i should do some mobility work with my shoulder. I know i need to do the lower back exercises.

Any goods suggestions for working on mobility and flexibility in general? This seems to be a good time for that!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

lillianp wrote:
Any goods suggestions for working on mobility and flexibility in general? This seems to be a good time for that!

I am also interested in this! I've been trying to be better about stretching out my hamstrings, calves, and ankles but I don't know if it's actually doing much. I should probably work on shoulder and upper back stuff too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:41 am 
WRETCHED

I'd look at mobilitywod.com or if you are really interested, Becoming a Supple Leopard is a book by the guy who runs mobilitywod.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:17 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh, to be a supple leopard. I've seen things from that guy before though. Seems like he knows his shiitake.

My shoulder is still a burning mess and I really do not know if it's from my desk/posture or something else. STOP.

I never did much assistance work when I was doing 5x5, and now that I'm doing 5/3/1 and it's part of the program I'm having this problem where I feel the need to do ALL THE ASSISTANCE WORK. Like I'm trying to figure out what works for me and what supplements the main lifts well but I end up with, like, 5 different accessory exercises per workout and it's getting out of hand. Programming (when you don't know what the hell you're doing) Problems.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

[quote="lillianp"]Emmalv, how do you plan your deload weeks? [quote]

I have a pretty laid back approach to deloading (which really to me means backing off on activity a bit, not necessarily still lifting but at an easier pace/weights, which is what I think deloading really is?). I travel periodically for work and generally know about it with enough advance for me to work that into my schedule as my deload week. If I'm following a program, I follow its recommendations in terms of reduced activity breaks, which seems to generally be every 5th week. And other times, I just take a break when I feel I mentally need it, and I know when that is because I just straight up don't look forward to working out. I take rest days during the week when I feel I physically need it, so usually my body is ok but my brain is all "meh." Then I back off for 5-7 days and just do stuff I feel like doing.

Diet, while not necessarily deloading per se, is still kind of relevant because its a stress on your body just like exercise. So I am taking breaks from cutting on every 8th week. Since I've started this my breaks have happened to coincide with fun travel, so I just didn't count kcal; this week is my first break where I can track, and I'm just trying to eat at what I believe is my maintenance level for the activity level I have laid out for the week.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:54 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Emmalv, I think it was you who recommended those uneven dumbbell overhead squats - I tried them out tonight and the note in my training log just says "JFC!!" They are so hard! It's basically everything I'm bad at so I kind of expected it, but damn. Definitely have to keep working on those.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:51 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

emmalv wrote:
And other times, I just take a break when I feel I mentally need it, and I know when that is because I just straight up don't look forward to working out. I take rest days during the week when I feel I physically need it, so usually my body is ok but my brain is all "meh." Then I back off for 5-7 days and just do stuff I feel like doing.

I felt like this last week. Just was not mentally in the mood at all, I was sick of physically being at the gym. This week seems better, I actually looked forward to working out yesterday and enjoyed myself.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

amandabear wrote:
Emmalv, I think it was you who recommended those uneven dumbbell overhead squats - I tried them out tonight and the note in my training log just says "JFC!!" They are so hard! It's basically everything I'm bad at so I kind of expected it, but damn. Definitely have to keep working on those.

I know right! They are very humbling, as you don't need a lot of weight to get to the JFC point...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:04 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Work is totally getting in the way of my workouts, and this time change does not help at all either. Its been a tough 2 weeks - how is everyone else faring/healing?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:08 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

It's deload week for me, and I'm kind of happy about it because my arm/shoulder/neck/elbow/whatever is still hurting and I'm just generally really tired. I think it is the time change, emmalv! It's throwing me off. I've still got three light lifting sessions planned, but the volume and weight is down so they shouldn't be too taxing. I'm trying to focus more on mobility, particularly hip/hamstring/ankle stuff to help with squats.

I'm hoping that this light week will help whatever is up with my arm, otherwise I'm going to need to go to the doctor... which would be fine if I didn't just find out that I apparently haven't had health insurance since OCTOBER. What? So here's hoping rest is enough until that gets sorted out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:33 am 

My shoulder is getting better! I did some light (15 pound dumbbells) incline bench presses and bent over rows. I also finally got around to doing some of the exercises my doctor gave me to do and they help. So I should do them every day.

But if anyone has any arms/upper body only workout suggestions that don't put pressure on the lower back, I'd love to hear them!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:22 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yay, Lillianp is back! Hmm... I'm not sure if these will totally leave your lower back out of the equation, but I'm doing Simply Shredded and its an upper/lower body split program. The upper body days are as follows:

A - dips, pullups, side lateral raises, tricep cable pulldown, and curls
B - bench press, bent over row, DB shoulder press, lying tricep extension, barbell curls

The program is 3 sets, first 4 weeks 8-12 reps, next 4 6-8, final 4 4-6.
So that is an actual program someone put together. Otherwise, I'm thinking you could do a variety of bicep work with no problem and fool around with incline, isolations, and static holds (like 21's for example). Same thing with triceps. Kickbacks, lying overhead, skullcrushers, etc. Can you do shoulders with light weights? Overhead presses if the weight is light enough, side raises, front raises, scarecrows, those horrible prone Cuban raises from NROLFW (do you remember those? I hated those.)

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

I just discovered the above link that might help. It gives you options based on equipment available and a visual on how to do them.

I am determined to work my glutes more, and by that I mean isolate the glute. I really am so quad dominant, I know I've said it before but will say it again. So yesterday after my Simply Shredded leg workout I added weight to the leg extension bit on my bench and donkey-kicked it up, if that makes sense. I also did goblet squats with my toes elevated on a plate. Yowza. Let me tell you, elevating the toes makes unconscious shifting-cheats to the quads impossible. My butt is so sore that is actually what woke me up this morning. My first waking thought was "ow, my asparagus." Good workout, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:08 pm 

I was thinking of doing Simply Shredded before this whole injury thing happened, so maybe in April or so when I've healed from this I'll start doing that on light weights. (And actually use the personal training sessions I have on a gift card, hah)

Bookmarking the site as that'll be helpful. I know sort of how to do dips but some of the isolation exercises I know nothing about so I'll definitely have to check them out. I'm going to keep the weights low because I'm just trying to maintain muscle mass/strengthen the area lightly to support the tendons that got inflamed. I'm starting to feel like I want to do workouts again which is a good sign. (But I know there are several weeks where it's going to feel like 'yeah, ready! But Not! And having to fight the impulse to work through it)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 48  Next