| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:00 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Glad you're starting to feel better, lillianp! Being sidelined against your will is super frustrating.

Emmalv, that is indeed a good problem to have! Do you work out at a gym or at home? The smith machine isn't ideal for squats, from what I understand, but it's certainly better than trying to press up weight that's too heavy.

My squats are slowwwwwly getting better. Long journey. It's a deload week for me, so lightish weights. No new weight PRs, but some rep PRs last week: OHP at 70 lbs x 4 and bench at 87 x 6. 70 lbs for reps actually felt pretty easy, which was a nice surprise. Next cycle should get me to 75 for reps and into the mid-90's for reps on bench. Progress!

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:41 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you lilianp - I agree though, its a good sign that your body at least wants to run. At least you are going about this smartly and not just making your injury worse.

And what I meant is that I could conceivably get up to 150 lbs on my squat at home using the dumbbells - but I am not there yet. Right now I'm at 115 or so.... but I feel I coud do more if I was backsquatting rather than DB squatting. Yes, I work out at home BUT my community workout gym surprisingly has a Smith machine, so I do have access to one and think I'll try and get in there occassionally just to use it. I know they say that free weights is better because you are using more muscles to stablize, but hey. I'll take what I can get.

Nice PR's Amandabear! My progress report, aside from upping my squats a little, is that I am back to 155 for deadlifts doing 3 sets of 6-8. Its been awhile since I've done "normal" deadlifts as part of a program, so I'm excited to see how far it can come in the next few weeks. There's just something so bad asparagus about deadlifts...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I still need to call my doctor for the physical therapist! Ahh, motivation. But I seem to be biking well without repercussion so I'm happy about that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

Not a powerlifter but love to workouts with weights regularly! I usually do a high rep, low weight, weight lifting group exercise class at my gym that I love and when the class times don't work for my schedule I usually do some weight training with weight and my body weight on my own. Love squats and working out my legs. I've always been a lot weaker up top so I've been trying to focus on increase the amount I can curl and need to improve my shoulder strength. I like the idea of doing pull-ups but at the moment I really cant get more than 3 full ones. I've been thinking about getting a pull up assist bands like this one from beachbody- http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_gear/p90x-chin-up-max-pull-up-bar.do I've never used one but it seems like it's exactly what I need to help build up my strength. Anyone use one or familiar with one?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've never used them myself, but I know you can use large resistance bands for pull-up assistance too. And three isn't bad! I can't do one! Something I've been doing and really enjoying are inverted rows, which are basically like horizontal pull-ups... I do something between the regular version (linked) and the high bar version. They're pretty fun.

Something pretty awesome/adorable happened today that is tangentially lifting-related: My boyfriend is in and out of people's houses all day for work, and today one of his clients was a 60-year old vegan weightlifter! He texted me that this guy was initially not so fond of him, but that he was able to get in his good graces by talking about how I lift and stuff he's learned from me constantly talking weights at him. It pretty much made my day. And what the heck are the odds? I told him I wanted to be this guy's friend because he sounds awesome and could probably teach me to squat properly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:51 pm 

That's awesome, Amandabear, I would LOVE to meet more vegan weightlifters, especially ones who've been doing it for a while!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:48 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Same here! I have no real life lifting friends, let alone vegan ones. I'd love a more experienced lifting buddy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:29 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

jennyg wrote:
Not a powerlifter but love to workouts with weights regularly! I usually do a high rep, low weight, weight lifting group exercise class at my gym that I love and when the class times don't work for my schedule I usually do some weight training with weight and my body weight on my own. Love squats and working out my legs. I've always been a lot weaker up top so I've been trying to focus on increase the amount I can curl and need to improve my shoulder strength. I like the idea of doing pull-ups but at the moment I really cant get more than 3 full ones. I've been thinking about getting a pull up assist bands like this one from beachbody- http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_gear/p90x-chin-up-max-pull-up-bar.do I've never used one but it seems like it's exactly what I need to help build up my strength. Anyone use one or familiar with one?

I bought one because I can't even do 1 unassisted pullup, and its helping quite a bit. My strategy is that I try to eek out 5 good ones consistently and then I decrease the resistance. I'm steadily decreasing the resistance and now have a much easier time jumping up to the bar, holding for awhile, and then slowly lowering myself down. Before I could hold a little bit and lower most of the way, but the last 15% or so was not what I'd call controlled. At all. So for me its worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Amandabear, that's pretty awesome, and its awesome that he's 60 and still at it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:12 pm 

I'm going running with november project again tomorrow morning! So I'm hoping another 3-4 weeks and I'll be able to lift again. I got 'training' shoes today that are pretty thin soled shoes, only a bit of higher on the heel than toes. Hoping they'll be useful for lifting, more so than running shoes! The converses are way too narrow for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:13 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Have fun with the November project! That sounds like so much fun.

I am trying to split my time between lifting and my new hot pilates place and find that balance. The pilates place is a lot of fun and its way more hard than I thought it'd be? Regardless of the 95 degree and 40% humidity room. Its circuit-based with traditional pilates moves, bodyweight training, and HIIT intervals (like the dreaded burpee). So its not at all the zen/ballerina thing I had in my mind, lol. But I like this way better. I think I'm settling on committing to 2 full body lifting workouts per week....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:44 pm 
Impressive boner

I'm competing in the biathlon tomorrow at the Manchester kettlebell open. I feel so unprepared.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Good luck 8ball!

My third cycle of 5/3/1 is plugging along. I'm supposed to OHP/deadlift tonight but I've had a massive headache for like 2 days that I haven't been able to medicate away so I'm not sure that's going to happen. Tomorrow, if not tonight. My squats are improving! It's exciting. I'm working with a shorter squat box now (12'') and I've been throwing in a set or two without the box here and there and they actually look pretty okay! Still not getting quite deep enough, but way, way closer than I ever was before. Definite progress. It's encouraging.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Good luck 8ball! Pbly going to sound really dumb right now, but what kettlebell moves are at a biathalon?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:59 am 
Impressive boner

They're jerk and snatch.

I achieved PBs on both, 206 reps on jerk and 209 on snatch with the 12kg kettlebell. Waiting for final scores now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Congrats on a PB, regardless of how you place. That is a shiitake ton of reps!

I know no one here is an expert but as I said a bit earlier, I joined a hot pilates studio that also does TRX suspension training and kettlebell training. Right now I'm trying to figure out a loose schedule that allows me to take the classes I want to a couple times per week but still make sure I'm fitting in good old heavy lifting and not backsliding strength wise.

So I'm looking to bounce my idea off of you guys: The hot pilates classes are a lot of core work and HIIT intervals, so abs and cardio are covered. I'll go to these when I can/when I feel like it, maybe 2 times per week.
The TRX/kettlebell classes are bodyweight training with the TRX (generally upper body and not easy - I'm still sore from Thursday's class) and the kettlebell classes are lower body/core and higher reps. I figure I'll go to 1 class, maybe a 2nd but no more.
I am thinking that if I can fit in 2 days of the basic full body compound lifts (bench, row, curls, tricep extensions, DL, SDL, squats, OHP, lunges) and keep it heavy (like 4 - 8 reps) I can still progress even just slowly in strength?

So the short version is given that I'll still be getting some bodyweight and high rep/lower weight weight training, do you think a full body, twice a week heavy lifting schedule is enough?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:41 pm 

I think it's probably enough! NROLW recommends 2-3 full body a week and you're adding in strength training through bodyweight later so I think you'll be fine!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks lillianp, I think I feel good now about my tentative schedule.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:37 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oof. Apparently I messed up my back! I do not know how. Or, I guess I do, but I don't know why. It was kind of sore after deadlifts on Friday, but I figured it was just muscle soreness, but then after I finished squats + bench on Sunday it started hurting again, and today it's just... ow. I don't know if I was being careless during deadlifts or if I tweaked it during squats or what, but I'm glad I have two days off. I'll push my workouts back toward the end of the week if it's not feeling 100% by Wednesday, but I'm hoping it's nothing major.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:43 pm 

Oh goodness amandabear, do not touch weights until it's 100%! I speak from experience!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thankfully it's been mostly better. Minor achiness still, but I've been working out as normal without any issues. Next week is a deload week, which will be a nice break.

It's week 3 of my current cycle, which is max effort week. Today was OHP and deads - 75x4 and 225x4 respectively. When I started 5/3/1 75 was my 1RM so this progress pleases me greatly. I've lifted slightly more than 225 before on deads, but never for multiple reps. On Sunday I get to see if I can bench 92 for reps. I'm optimistic.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:18 pm 

That's awesome, Amandabear! I think I'm going to start lifting again in about a week to a week and a half. I did bodyweight work today with some lightish dumbbell upper body work (incline chest press with 15lb DBs, bent over rows w/20 lb DBs, 12.5 lb DBs for OHP, 70 for lat pull down on a machine that was dumb). My back is kind of tired sore but whatever. I'm going to spend the week working on mobility/flexibility/etc.

One fun thing: if you take 2 months off from lifting, you can still have some arm muscle definition if you're like me and get the definition there & shoulders first.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:47 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ha, I have zero muscle definition anywhere despite all the lifting. Too much body fat I guess. If I flex, sure, but otherwise not so much.

I'm glad you're feeling well enough to start working with weights again!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Amandabear, nice numbers! How'd your bench go?
And I'm jealous of Lillianp's arm definition, there I've said it:)

No news here, but next week I'm going to start the last stage of Simply Shredded (slightly modified to allow for other workouts and you know, work and life and stuff). I'm excited because its heavy - 3 sets of 4-6 reps and most are big compound moves. I'm hoping I can beat my last 1RM of deadlifts of 165. I've been lifting 3 sets of 7-8 at 155, so maybe?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks! Bench was okay - 92x4. I was kind of unhappy with it until I remembered how long I was stuck around 75 lbs. I'll take 92x4! This week I deload, and then next week I start a new cycle, and I'm debating cutting the weight increases in half (adding 2.5/5 to my working maxes instead of 5/10) If I don't do it this cycle I'll probably have to do it next cycle. We shall see.

If you are doing sets of 7-8 at 155, I don't think you'll have any problem beating your deadlift PR! I bet you get 175, easy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 48  Next