| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh mine's not visible unless I flex, but it's there when I do! That's what I meant. I've a long way to go before it's visible without flexing.It was better while I was working out and most visible right after a workout because you know, water retention in muscles and things.

I did lunges on monday AM with november project and pushups and my legs are still sore because they were sore going into that. YAY DOMS. I suck at pushups, can barely do one real one anymore, which makes me sad.

I'm going to talk about getting a personal trainer first visit next week or so and am really excited!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:18 am 
Tofu Pup

For $15 a week or $50 a month, the trainers hope to draw in members who can't afford a high-priced gym.
HIIT is also a fantastic way to burn off that fats and get involved in great shape quick.
http://adjustabledumbbellscenter.org/

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:10 am 
Bathes in Braggs

lillianp wrote:
Oh mine's not visible unless I flex, but it's there when I do! That's what I meant. I've a long way to go before it's visible without flexing.It was better while I was working out and most visible right after a workout because you know, water retention in muscles and things.

I did lunges on monday AM with november project and pushups and my legs are still sore because they were sore going into that. YAY DOMS. I suck at pushups, can barely do one real one anymore, which makes me sad.

I'm going to talk about getting a personal trainer first visit next week or so and am really excited!

Ha, love the post workout pump. After Hot Pilates yesterday I had just ever so barely visible shoulder caps (non-flexing) and I was super annoying to my husband, I'm sure, with my "can you see it? can you see it?! I'm awesome, ha!" But this morning they are gone, sad face. I'll just keep at it...

Pushups are horrible. I am discovering that its not so much weakness in my arms but my core. After doing HP for about a month, I noticed my pushups are improving - and if anything I've been lifting less. I know you are still rehabbing, but I'd totally recommend core strengthening stuff to help with pushups - planks, supermans, bow and boat pose, those types of things - when you are ready.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

Hey everybody. Been awhile but I have been keeping tabs on everybody, lifting vicariously through you all. I haven't been posting because I feel a bit of fraud if I am not lifting myself: been 5 months with this shoulder and I still have a couple of months to go before I can return to light lifting. Really sucks! I must have the worst possible case of shoulder tendonitis ever! I haven't lifted a weight since December and it is really hard losing weight, losing weight, losing weight and not being able to do anything. I have been supplementing my exercise with tons of bike riding which isn't helping with my weight retention; however, I need to exercise or I go mental.

I am going to make myself a safety squat bar tomorrow so at least I can start squatting again....I miss it the most but I can't hold the bar on my shoulders without modifying a bar. Hopefully this will at least get me sort of back in the game.

I miss the gains and progress with everybody, but I am happy to see your all doing well. Soon, I will be eating my massive meals again and be able to compete with you monsters.

And....my freaking elbow is worse now because I have been playing 4-5 hours of guitar a day which seems to be worse for my elbow than lifting weights. Elbow pain I can deal with, but this shoulder stuff is really limiting what I am able to do during the day....ie. work!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:29 am 

I was totally wrong about getting the trainer sessions. Going to finally find a physical therapist near me because I overextended myself and low grade soreness is back. :(

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:09 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Boo, lillianp, I'm sorry! I hope you find a good PT and it gets better soon.

Jonny, I'm sorry it's taking so long for your shoulder (and elbow!) to heal up! I'd be going crazy too, I think. I hope you're able to mod yourself a safety bar!

I haven't been sleeping enough and I can tell it's taking a toll, because it's a deload week and everything has still been feeling hard. I'm also trying to eat at a bit of deficit for the first time in a while, and that might be part of it too. Blah.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I can't believe how long its taking your shoulder Jonny, I feel for you. Maybe to stop losing weight but still get the mental benefits, can you add in more bodyweight lunges, squats, corework? This way you'd be getting in some time, getting some resistance benefits, and not necessarily doing straight cardio?

Injuries suck. Deficits suck.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

^yeah, I figured a couple of months and I would be back. BUT....my safety squat bar manufacturing was a total success thanks to my brother in laws workshop and help. I should of made it months ago.

I just had my first weight work-out with it doing squats, lunges, calfs, good mornings and it worked wonderfully. It was totally stable in high squat position and I was able to hold onto the perpendicular bars out in front of my chest (shoulder couldn't hold bar on shoulders safely with regular bar). My Doms are gonna be big tomorrow but I am so looking forward to them.

You are correct emmalv, I should of done less cardio and more body weight but body weight stuff just isn't as fun as pushing weights around so I just got into a funk about it. I am not very mature about these things.

And yeah, deficits do suck. No excess energy and everything is harder (including just thinking clearly).

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

Jonny Guitar wrote:
My Doms are gonna be big tomorrow but I am so looking forward to them.

Such a fool!!!! OMFingG.....my legs hurt so much today, I have been dragging my feet everywhere I go! Day after was regular bad for hams and butt but the today my calf hurt so much I can seriously barely walk. I did reduced squats and lunges but I did my regular calf weights. Nothing like doing nothing for 5 months and then jumping back in with 4 sets of 35 at your max weight to really damage your calfs.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

eek jonny! happy to hear you're back, but be careful!

i guess this is a bit more of a peeve, but recently my roller derby team has decided to do bodyweight squats as a group, and i've had players who maybe squat halfway between parallel and upright and tell me i don't do 'real' squats because i do a2g? one came up and was like, "let me give you some pointers, because when you go all the way down you don't get the full benefit." i'm like, "????" but i diplomatically say i feel most comfortable doing them that way because that is how i do them when i lift weights, lets all do what we're familiar/comfortable with, etc.. with everyone's egos it's not really a battle worth fighting, but it irks me nonetheless.

welp, off to lift a bit before bed!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Jonny, yeah, I hear ya - bodyweight stuff just isn't the same, is it? But.... sounds like you made up for lost time : ) Enjoy your DOMS! (and be careful!)

Postnothing - that is sort of comical. Is s/he trying to give you pointers on trashing your knees perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

Postnothing - did they give you a rationale behind their thinking? Did you do it with skates on? I have a bum knee and my surgeon told me to go to that level around 55-60 degrees because it is easier on the back of the kneecap but you sacrifice a large amount of the benefits, and you pretty much take glutes out of the equation. Glutes are a big part of skating so I can't understand the reasoning. Regardless of my surgeon's advice, I squat A2G because I find it easier on my knee rather than reversing direction at 50-60%, the point when the shearing pressure is the highest on my kneecap.

P.S. My ex was a derby girl but she had to quit because she was tiny and older and her body just gotten beaten up too badly. Super cool sport!

Lastly: Ah, day three is a heavenly reprieve!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:22 am 
Saggy Butt

ahhh neat! i know a few older skaters, and i honestly don't know how they do it.

we do them both on and off skates. the only rationale was that going a2g is easier, apparently, therefore i'm cheating...

even just personal experience-wise, quarter/parallel squats make me feel like my kneecaps are made of sandpaper if i do them enough over a period of a few weeks, and i don't have problems with my knees otherwise. it's not a good ache. a2g feels super for me knee-wise, and i worked hard to get to that point, dammit! i feel like if they knew what they were talking about, they'd at least acknowledge that there's a big a2g vs. parallel debate and respect that some people prefer different things because bodies can be picky sometimes.

I have upper body DOMS right now and it feels awesome. muscles... muscling... oh yeah!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:47 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

If I saw someone doing a2g squats I think my first instinct would be "TEACH ME YOUR WAYS" and not "you're doing that wrong." HOW IS A2G EASIER TELL ME WHAT IS YOUR SECRET. I've had to work my butt off for every single millimeter of depth increase, so a2g squatters, I salute and envy you. I've been working on mobility and core strength for months and am juuuuust barely getting close to parallel when I do box-free back squats.

In other news, I started my 4th cycle of 531 yesterday and I don't know if it's the calorie deficit or the shitty sleep schedule or my impending period or what, but everything was so hard. What I could front squat for 5 reps two weeks ago (pre-deload week) I had to do for 3, then rest a second, then 2, and my alternate OHP session (aka the not super heavy one) was a struggle at 63x5 where two weeks ago I put up 75x4. Fuuuuuuuuuu. Not a fan.

But! I have a visible shoulder muscle! Visible when I'm not flexing! Just on the one side (right arm, of course, since I'm right-handed) and I thought I was hallucinating when I saw it, but nope, it's there. So I'm pretty stoked about that.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:41 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Weightlifting was my passion for 5 years. Now I can only manage some running and bodyweight stuff. It has only been half as year since I had to give it up but oh how I miss it :(.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:11 pm 

Aww, potato, too bad! I also envy those of you able to get A2G. I got how to be a supple leopard and they had a tip for dealing with back tweaks that has really helped my back. Enough that I did a weights workout today! Goblet squats with a 25 pound dumbbell, one set of barbell only squats and 1 set of 65 pounds! Deadlifts for three sets at 65 (smallest bouncy plates are ten pounds) also some incline chest presses and rows. My back is feeling pretty good and I have a physical therapist appointment next week! Hopefully, he'll give some exercises to continue working on my back strength.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:27 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Nice work on those lifts! You are working past a back injury?

I'll be able to lift again one day. Waiting it out is brutal though. A break is kind of nice too though!

I'll just keep around all my shirtless pictures and lifting logs to motivate me when ready lol.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:14 pm 

Yeah, I strained my lower back in late February and it's just starting to be better enough to be active again. I am so very excited!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:33 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Potato, that sucks! Hopefully you will get to go back to it at some point. I've been lifting for less than a year and it's become something I enjoy so much that it's dictating our apartment search (first floor only - no deadlifting on the upper floors of creaky old Victorians).

Lillianp, you'd recommend Supple Leopard, then? I've been curious about it.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:06 am 
Nailed to the V

Potato wrote:
I'll be able to lift again one day. Waiting it out is brutal though. A break is kind of nice too though!

Did you blow a disc in your lower back? My Sherlockian senses alway go toward disc problems when people talk about having to stop lifting....says the guy who hasn't lifting in 5 months because of a shoulder injury ;-)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:39 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Awesome amandabear! Slow, steady and smart.

Ugh, sorry about the shoulder injury! How has it been improving?

Great guess haha. Thankfully that isn't the case. I am currently managing an illness which includes medication that doesn't allow my body to lift like I once did. With that said, I will get there again. I just need to wait things out and ease back into it when the time comes.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:41 am 

Supple leopard is engrossing in some ways. He's definitely promoting his book/product as best but it's interesting so far and enjoyable. I haven't dived into the how to be more mobile part but the tips on squatting have really helped for me to maintain depth and not compromise my back in any way.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:18 am 
Bathes in Braggs

amandabear wrote:
Potato, that sucks! Hopefully you will get to go back to it at some point. I've been lifting for less than a year and it's become something I enjoy so much that it's dictating our apartment search (first floor only - no deadlifting on the upper floors of creaky old Victorians).Lillianp, you'd recommend Supple Leopard, then? I've been curious about it.

Amandabear, I like that you have your priorities straight.

Potato, welcome. Hopefully you can join us soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:27 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

It's really inconvenient, honestly - everything we see in the neighborhood we want to move into is on the second or third floor! But I don't want to have to join a gym, so that's just how it's got to be. The issue isn't even so much with the floor being able to take it (obviously it holds way more than 200-something lbs), but I don't want to be the obnoxious neighbor upstairs dropping heavy things on the floor all the time, you know?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Are any of you members of the Vegan Ladies Who Lift group on FB? It was such a great place to see other strong vegan women who were into weight lifting, but now they have changed the group to "secret" and it sounds like they are going to delete all of the members and you will need to submit an application and they will decide if you're good enough to be let into the group. It sounds really elitist and it's kind of a bummer. But that's what I'm glad this thread exists on the PPK! So many inspiring peeps (both ladies and non-ladies)!

Amandabear good luck finding a lifting friendly place! I let my gym membership go and have been using my husband's kettlebells at home. It took me awhile to get used to not training with a barbell but so far I really like it! I haven't done much lately because I've been getting over a nasty flu, but I think in a day or so I'll be good as new.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 44  Next