| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Lobsteriffic, I am not on FB so no, but I agree, that is kind of weird to me...It does sound snobbish. I'm glad that this thread exists on the PPK too, because yes I lift and am fairly active and like to discuss to see what other people are doing and to give and get support.... but I also like wine and Oreo's and mac and cheese, and the PPK at large is a group that supports that :)
I get the impression that other groups might have a sanctimonious "no room for anything but spirulina and tofu and looking down on other people" lifestyle/attitude, and that's just not me.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:15 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks Lobsteriffic! I think I'd be fine on the second floor with everything but deadlifting... but that's not something I want to have to give up and we have some time still, so the search continues.

I'm not really on FB either, but having to submit an application to join seems pretty douchey. What, do you have to squat/bench above a certain weight or something? Many other lifting communities I've come across while looking for information come off as pretty harshly judgy and elitist, which is why I've never ventured into them as a member.

Friday's workout was even shittier than Wednesday's - I straight-up couldn't lift the prescribed weight/reps on OHP despite having done it at the end of my last cycle, and just barely got it (with questionable form, I'm sad to admit) on deadlift, even though it was a number that was previously pretty easy peasy for me. Today went significantly better, so I'm hoping the other two were just flukes due to the time of the month and lack of sleep. I guess I'll find out next week.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I was part of one vegan ladies who lift and while the main person who ran it insisted that she was about eating enough food and fueling everything, it seemed like ALL of the discussions were about how to eat 'healthy' & 'perfect' and it drove me up a wall.

Amandabear, maybe your body just needs the rest? You'll probably be back at it in no time!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

Shoulder is recouping way faster now so I should be lifting all lifts soon whooo hooo. Squat bar is working great and Doms are back to normal amounts (Thank Jimi!). I bought some super heavy chains to use for my lifting to really make things interesting when I start going again.

Anybody listen to OHH this weekend with the author of Vegan Paleo Diet (or something like that)? Very interesting take on nutrition from a great athlete.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:34 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Nice Jonny! I didn't hear (what's OHH?) but any interesting takeaways you might care to share? A vegan paleo diet sort of makes my brain explode, ha, so I'm curious what s/he has to say.

I haven't yet attempted my DL PR of 175 - I think Saturday's the day - but I can now consistently bench 5-6 reps at 90 (which is not great, but hey, its the most I've ever benched). Now I'm greedy to break triple digits... I'm also consistently (but oh so slowly) loosening the assistance on my pullup assist contraption. A chinup shall be mine. Hopefully.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

^OHH is Our Hen House podcast and this specific one was episode 228 with Ellen Jaffe Jones. She is on for about 10 minutes about 1/3 of the way in. Nothing really to share other than she was a very inspirational athletic lady. She wrote a book about the Vegan Paleo Diet after entering into the world of Crossfit and being inundated with Paleo Paleo Paleo. I guess it would be pretty close to what most of us are eating.

Last day of internet for the summer so my posting will be less frequent; however, I will be forced to do more activities which is always a good thing. Wish me luck.

Oh and this site http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/rehabilitation-exercises/shoulder-exercises has THE BEST exercises for anybody having shoulder pain. If you click on each stage it has several exercises with description and videos. Really top notch. I had to Word for Windows the whole thing so I would still have it on my computer.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:39 pm 

Good luck with being active!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:56 pm 

I went to PT and he thinks its my spine but seems to think mobility stuff should help? I dunno, I'm kind of confused, but I"mhoping it helps get me on the right track of healing and getting away from this stupid injury.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:04 am 
Nailed to the V

lillianp wrote:
I went to PT and he thinks its my spine but seems to think mobility stuff should help?

Yikes. What the spine issue he figures you have. Speaking as someone who collapsed a disc and had resulting nerve damage, spine shitake is really scary.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:44 pm 

It was along the lines of pinched nerves or something, I will ask for further clarification. My spine mostly doesn't hurt unless I do the mobilization exercises.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

That's some scary stuff. Pinched nerves from bulging discs can really knock you out if your not careful. I didn't take my pains seriously and eventually ended up having to get an ambulance to emergency. I hope it heals up fast for you and your soon back on track.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:13 pm 

Jonny Guitar wrote:
That's some scary stuff. Pinched nerves from bulging discs can really knock you out if your not careful. I didn't take my pains seriously and eventually ended up having to get an ambulance to emergency. I hope it heals up fast for you and your soon back on track.

Me too! I'm definitely going to have to ask about healing, what they really think it is, because my doctor thought it was muscular. And how long to heal/lasting side effects.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:52 pm 

So, turns out, they don't think it's spinal. Since I havne't had imaging, they can't say for sure but also agree that since I"m not experiencing nerve pain, it's likely muscular. However, turns out I have very little mobility in my lower back. It doesn't like extension at all so they're going to work on with me to make it better and better support my lower back in general.

I'm still off lifting but i'm not off lifting forever, hooray!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

That is great news! Good luck with the mobility work.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ah, so glad it's not a spine issue, lillianp! That's so scary. I hope the mobility work does the trick!

Johnny - I'm glad your shoulder is getting better!

I hit two PRs tonight, though one was a bit disappointing - OHP 79x1 and deadlift 234x4. 79 is the most I've ever OHPed, but it was frustrating because I feel like I should've been able to do more. I failed my first try and only just barely got it up on my second. I know OHP is the first to stall out - it's happened before - but I've been making good progress and I thought I'd be able to go another cycle or two before I had to step back a bit. Deadlift was pretty awesome - 234 is a weight and rep PR and it felt good.

Squats are improving nicely and bench is bench, but going well. Emmalv - benching 90 is awesome! I'll be going for 96 on Sunday and am pretty excited.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:16 pm 

I'm so impressed with all of your PR's, Amandabear & Emmalv. Im going to try and be consistent with the pt exercises I'm supposed to be doing.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:57 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Thank goodness its not your spine lillianp! That does so scary. Let us know how your mobility work is going.
Amandabear, nice PR's! I've been too scared to go for my DL PR and keep pushing it back. Don't know what's up with that. This weekend though....wish me luck...

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:51 am 
Nailed to the V

Great work on the PR's! MP is frustratingly slow progress but it is coming up slowly so try to be patient with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

DL PR of 185 today, y'all!! woot woot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:17 pm 

emmalv wrote:

Amazing! Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

emmalv wrote:

That is great! What was your DL goal when you started lifting?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:54 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks guys!

When I first started lifting about a year ago, my DL goal was my body weight, which seemed daunting at the time. But I reached that and went into this year with a DL goal of 200, 1 unassisted chinup, and a bench of 100. All those carrots are still out there dangling in front of me, but hey, progress. I'm also making this a little harder on myself by trying to cut body fat at the same time, technically eating at a deficit versus bulking or even recomping. I'm still relying on newb gains to get me there...we'll see for how much longer. I know I'm going to get to a point maybe sooner than later when I will want to be done with this slow cut and switch to slowly pushing my maintenance cals as high as I can, maybe even to bulk territory.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:50 pm 

I have not done my take home exercises today because I got home 20 minutes ago (and left the house at 6:30am, 15 hours ago). I have PT tomorrow so hopefully it goes well! My spine's been feeling a lot better this week than the previous despite slightly more consistent mobility work, so maybe there's something to this! (ie, my spine was not happy with the original mobility movements and being shoved into line again but is getting used to it)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:41 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Fingers crossed for you, lillianp! I was thinking about you the other day because my back was just run of the mill sore, and I can't imagine having chronic back/spine pain....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:13 pm 

Thanks emmalv! My PT thinks its just muscle/mobility/strength in my hips issues. I went for a run yesterday and it didn't hurt, so that was good. (But I did a 60 mile bike ride a couple weeks ago and that hurt a lot)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 45  Next