| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan sport/ fitness books
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:23 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I find reading about sports people really motivating & I also like to learn about other vegan runners.
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good vegan nutrition/sports books.

I read Scott Jurek's book Eat & Run. I loved how it was set out, with the inspirational quotes & the recipes. I'd really recommend it.

Post subject: Re: Vegan sport/ fitness books
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:49 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The No Meat Athlete guy just came out with a book, also called No Meat Athlete.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

Not a book but Rich Roll has a fantastic podcast featuring lots of Vegan ultra athletes...first 10 minutes is all advertising but the remainder of the episode is usually very informative and inspiring. I think the No Meat Athlete was on it within the past couple of weeks. You can get the podcasts on Itunes or his site you can find by googling his name. Oh, he has a good book too called Finding Ultra.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:30 am 

I've seen the No Meat Athlete book. Anyone read it yet? Would you recommend it? What about the Thrive series of books? Anyone got a favourite? I've also seen the vegan athlete by Ben Green & Brett Stewart. Anyone read that one?

I got Vegan & Sports: Vegan nutrition & endurance sports by Arnold Wiegand, a while ago, but I have to say I wasn't too impressed. It was just ok & I wouldn't particularly recommend it.

Thanks for the Rich Roll info Jonny. I've not hear of him but I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:52 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Is Scott Jurek vegan? I didn't know that. Not that I knew that much about him...I'll have to check that out.

I'm a member of the Nerd Fitness forums and while they are full of supportive people who know a lot about fitness, almost everyone is all PALEO PALEO BACON BACON STEAK all the time and some differing viewpoints would be nice. I just added No Meat Athlete to my Feedly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:17 pm 

Bagelyo wrote:
Is Scott Jurek vegan? I didn't know that. Not that I knew that much about him...I'll have to check that out.

I'm a member of the Nerd Fitness forums and while they are full of supportive people who know a lot about fitness, almost everyone is all PALEO PALEO BACON BACON STEAK all the time and some differing viewpoints would be nice. I just added No Meat Athlete to my Feedly.

Yes he is. I really enjoyed his book but I haven't managed to make any of the recipes yet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:01 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I made his almond red curry sauce (or whatever it's called) and it was fantastic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:45 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm reading No Meat Athlete right now and I'm only half way through but so far I haven't learned anything new. I think if you were either new to working out/training or new to plant based eating it would be more informative. But maybe the last half of the book will prove me wrong.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:27 pm 

lobsteriffic wrote:
I'm reading No Meat Athlete right now and I'm only half way through but so far I haven't learned anything new. I think if you were either new to working out/training or new to plant based eating it would be more informative. But maybe the last half of the book will prove me wrong.

That's interesting to know. Thanks. It'll be interesting to hear what you think once you've finished it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:47 am 

It's not a vegan book but I've just finished running like a girl by Alexandra heminsley. It's a great read and I found it really motivational. Some of her comments really ran true to me & I cried a few times as it was quite moving sometimes. The last part of the book is about endurance running women who were not allowed to run in public races of further than half a mile in the 1960's but who pushed for changes. Then it moves on to give lots of tips and advice for new runners. I like the writers style and she comes over as a great person. I think it's definitely worth a read.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:45 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Has anyone read The Vegan Athlete, by Ben Greene and Brett Stuart? The comments on Amazon are not so great, but I'm really trying to find some reliable nutritional information for my fitness routine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:00 am 
Nailed to the V

Chickpea wrote:
It's not a vegan book but I've just finished running like a girl by Alexandra heminsley. It's a great read and I found it really motivational. Some of her comments really ran true to me & I cried a few times as it was quite moving sometimes. The last part of the book is about endurance running women who were not allowed to run in public races of further than half a mile in the 1960's but who pushed for changes. Then it moves on to give lots of tips and advice for new runners. I like the writers style and she comes over as a great person. I think it's definitely worth a read.

I was reading that for a while, and not sure why I stopped (I'm usually in the middle of multiple books at a time, and just choose the one I'm most in the mood for). Thanks for reminding me of it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:48 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm currently reading Thrive Fitness, by Brazier.

Aside from that, I mostly just listen to vegan fitness podcasts like No Meat Athlete and Rich Roll.

A lot of motivation to be had in those things.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:33 am 

Chickpea wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

That's interesting to know. Thanks. It'll be interesting to hear what you think once you've finished it.

I got this for my birthday. I didn't learned anything new either BUT I love the dinosaur kale recipe! It is a good book, but maybe more suited to a new runner or new vegan or a new vegan runner...