| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Girls and Weightlifting
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:09 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Free weights should be every girl's bff, in my opinion. I'm doing Rippetoe's Starting Strength and getting really good results so far!

Anyone care to share experiences, programs, thoughts?

edit: unexpected filter! changed for clarity.

Post subject: Re: Girls and Weightlifting
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:11 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I like The New Rules of Lifting for Wome. I've jumped around to other strength training methods, but when I want to lift, I use this book. I super appreciate that it shows you how to use not only free weights but also the machines at the gym, which can be intimidating.

But yeah, I want to get back into strength training! It feels soooo good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:25 am 
WRETCHED

I do Crossfit which is a mix of things including heavy lifting/barbell training/olympic lifting as well as kettlebells, endurance, etc. I love it.

I started weight lifting in high school when I took my first weight lifting class but it was all machines back then. I did use some dumbbells at home. I have done weight lifting off and on for 20 years or so basically. I became anti-machine a few years ago when I read up on functional fitness and realized that free weights were really the way to go. Unfortunately most gyms today don't support functional fitness and are very machine focused. One reason I'm glad I found Crossfit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:48 am 
Not NOT A Furry

+1 for New Rules of Lifting- I LOVED it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:52 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

So how are the rules of lifting different for women? I'm always wary of books that target women specifically as they tend to have a lot of bullshiitake included. I take it this one's different?

Machine-focused gyms bug the heck out of me too. My old gym back home is just like that, they have absolutely no free weights and they have a smiths machine which the boys use for 'bodybuilding'. I don't see the point of that machine, frankly. I think I'll need to find a new gym when I go back home for the month of December...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:22 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

cosmiclettuce wrote:
So how are the rules of lifting different for women? I'm always wary of books that target women specifically as they tend to have a lot of bullshiitake included. I take it this one's different?

I really don't know how this book differs from the men's one. I'm wary of women-specific stuff, too, because too often "women" is translated into "sissy" and "don't lift too heavy or you'll look like a MAN and nobody will want to sleep with you!" But this book is really good and details different lifting plans with progression as you get stronger. As far as I could tell, the only thing that made it a women's book is that they used women models. Obviously I ignored the obligatory diet chapter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:51 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

linanil wrote:
I do Crossfit which is a mix of things including heavy lifting/barbell training/olympic lifting as well as kettlebells, endurance, etc. I love it.

I started weight lifting in high school when I took my first weight lifting class but it was all machines back then. I did use some dumbbells at home. I have done weight lifting off and on for 20 years or so basically. I became anti-machine a few years ago when I read up on functional fitness and realized that free weights were really the way to go. Unfortunately most gyms today don't support functional fitness and are very machine focused. One reason I'm glad I found Crossfit.

I've been interested in CrossFit for a while--the only (slightly big) problem with CrossFit Chicago is they support a paleo diet. Gross.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:10 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

What's a paleo diet? It sounds disgusting.

So is New Rules worth reading just for general knowledge on training? I really wanted to read Rippetoe's book but it seems to be out of print everywhere. I'd love to have a good book for reference since I'm only a beginner and don't always trust the internet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

A lot of the crossfit people are in the paleo cult. Some groups aren't as pushy as others I have found. I do kettlebell classes and I love it. I get my cardio and weights all in one. Then again, I haven't been in weeks, damn travel and then sickness.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5. I know some people like the variety of New Rules better, but I don't have much time and I enjoy going to the gym and knowing what I need to do. I've noticed large increases in strength, especially my abs and core, even though there is very little ab stuff in the program. I'm not following the nutrition recommendations of the program - no shakes, etc... for me after workouts.

What do you guys squat? Bench? I'm having the most trouble with overhead presses.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:43 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

almiratanner wrote:
I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5. I know some people like the variety of New Rules better, but I don't have much time and I enjoy going to the gym and knowing what I need to do. I've noticed large increases in strength, especially my abs and core, even though there is very little ab stuff in the program. I'm not following the nutrition recommendations of the program - no shakes, etc... for me after workouts.

What do you guys squat? Bench? I'm having the most trouble with overhead presses.

I like having a simple set program too. What is the difference between a 3x5 program and a 5x5 in terms of effectiveness, for a beginner?

Overhead presses KILL me. Standing military press is always my most dreaded exercise, it makes me feel like such a weakling... Last I did it I managed 3x4 at 15kgs (33lbs) and it was A Real Struggle.

At the moment I'm benching 20kg (44lbs) which I'm so proud of, since I'm coming back from a pretty horrible chest injury. Squat is at 23Kg (50lbs) and deadlift at 25Kg (55lbs). I'm hoping to get all of these up tomorrw, except maybe bench press since I'm taking it easy for that one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:55 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

cosmiclettuce wrote:

So is New Rules worth reading just for general knowledge on training?

Yes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

cosmiclettuce wrote:

THere a few threads about it in the Parlor--it's a fad diet. YOu're supposed to emulate the diet of the paleolithic era (though the common understanding of what a paleolithic diet consisted of is under question, and, well, we don't live according the "nature" and there are all sorts of logical loopholes with it). But, it's Atkins with vegetables: lean meats, berries but not dense fruit, some root vegetables that aren't too "starchy", no refined sugars, and absolutely no grains (at all).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:20 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

tinglepants! wrote:
cosmiclettuce wrote:

THere a few threads about it in the Parlor--it's a fad diet. YOu're supposed to emulate the diet of the paleolithic era (though the common understanding of what a paleolithic diet consisted of is under question, and, well, we don't live according the "nature" and there are all sorts of logical loopholes with it). But, it's Atkins with vegetables: lean meats, berries but not dense fruit, some root vegetables that aren't too "starchy", no refined sugars, and absolutely no grains (at all).

Right... I never understood what people have against grains, all the science to back up anti-grains claims seems so shaky to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:49 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I love free weights. I don't follow any sort of program really. I just write down workouts at home (lately I've been into full body workouts) and bust it out at the gym. I make sure to come up with exercises for each major muscle group and I throw in some core/ab stuff too.
Then every 3-4 weeks I'll come up with a new workout, to break the boredom!

I am still trying to get to a point where I can do at LEAST one full pull-up on my own. I can do a couple chin-ups, just not pull-ups yet! But I'll get there one day...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:08 pm 
WRETCHED

tinglepants! wrote:
linanil wrote:

I've been interested in CrossFit for a while--the only (slightly big) problem with CrossFit Chicago is they support a paleo diet. Gross.

I would say almost all Crossfits support a paleo diet but its not a big deal. My gym had a paleo challenge recently, about 15 members participated. But its not like we are told every day "now did you eat paleo today? remember to eat your meat". Basically, there are a lot of non paleo eaters at my gym, it is a recommended diet because honestly I think recommending a diet is better than not and because it is probably a better diet for omnis than the standard american diet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:11 pm 
WRETCHED

cosmiclettuce wrote:

I am generally wary of woman focused books too but this is good and there is even a section that describes why it is geared towards women. Basically, women generally have underdeveloped hamstrings and overdeveloped quads so one thing the book tries to do is balance that out. You could also just buy The New Rules of Lifting and use that as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:17 pm 
WRETCHED

almiratanner wrote:

I don't know my max back squat although I did a few reps of 133 lbs the other day. The max deadlift I've done is 213 although after doing a few 203s the other day, I think I can go over 213 now. My front squat is a lot weaker just because of the form is awkward and I'm under 100 lbs on that but couldn't give you an exact number. I have done a few 63 lb overhead squats and those really require a lot of balance and coordination.

For overhead presses, the other day I did a few at 68 lbs. My shoulder has been bothering me lately and I really feel a weakness in my right shoulder. My shoulders aren't hurting any more though which is good.

We don't do bench presses, we do pushups and I do mine on an incline.

Also for those building up to a pullup, we use bands at our gym. I bought some for home and was using them today. When I first started though, I couldn't even use the band or do a dead hang. I can definitely tell I am building strength.

If you are interested in bands for pullups, I recommend these:
http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:37 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Lifting bores the hell out of me, and I haven't done it regularly in several years. But I took a really great weight lifting for ladies class at the school I went to as an undergrad (a mostly male engineering school) where the teacher really helped us learn how to use the free weights and not just the machines, and told us to tell people who told us we were going to get all bulked up and nasty looking from lifting to go fork themselves. (I liked her a lot.)

I really enjoy this website on the subject: Stumptuous.com, woman-oriented lifting/fitness site.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Last edited by coldandsleepy on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The monkeybar crossfit gym chain is vegan owned and they emphasize a vegan diet. http://monkeybargym.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:38 pm 
Chard Martyr

I only lift 2lb weights max and my arms are super toned and lean. And no, I'm not genetically like this- it took me a while to get where I'm at and if I don't keep it up, I lose it. I do a 12-15 minute arm series as part of a power pilates routine or a barre exercise routine. It's still difficult after nearly two years of doing it (we always switch it up a bit; muscle confusion). It's amazing to watch women who regularly lift amazingly heavy weights not be able to finish one of these arm series with 1 pounders in good form! (just like I wouldn't be able to lift heavy weights, I would guess?) It's all about form and working the small muscles that are typically not worked.

I do this type of lifting (I suppose many of you won't even call it lifting, but I'm using weights and strength training!) because I build muscle insanely fast and would bulk up if I lifted heavy weights.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:24 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I probably should come up with some sort of weightlifting routine, but I generally just do whatever exercises I feel like doing that day - some upper body, some lower body, sometimes more of a focus on one than the other. I do abs/core every day, but everything else depends on my mood. I think I'm going to try and create some sort of workout plan that I will stick to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:35 am 
Not NOT A Furry

cosmiclettuce wrote:
I like having a simple set program too. What is the difference between a 3x5 program and a 5x5 in terms of effectiveness, for a beginner?

I'm not sure... I guess it's just more volume. I think the important part is the 5 reps.

Linanil, 68 lbs for OH press is crazy impressive. I finally managed 5x5 on 22.2kg, and now I'm struggling with 24.4kg.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:25 am 
WRETCHED

almiratanner wrote:
cosmiclettuce wrote:

I'm not sure... I guess it's just more volume. I think the important part is the 5 reps.

Linanil, 68 lbs for OH press is crazy impressive. I finally managed 5x5 on 22.2kg, and now I'm struggling with 24.4kg.

Low reps generally build strength while higher reps build endurance. We do both high reps and low reps and on our strength days 5x5 is usually what we use unless we are going for a PR in which case we do something like 3-2-1-1-1.

The girl I was working with on the shoulder presses ended up going up to 73 lbs although I think both of us had the highest weights of the day of the girls. I would also say 22.2kg is impressive. Not many women can lift the equivalent of 2 20 lb dumbbells over their head and that is more than that :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:00 pm 
Chip Strong

coldandsleepy wrote:
I really enjoy this website on the subject: Stumptuous.com, woman-oriented lifting/fitness site.

Yes, Stumptuous is really great. She's a Lierre Keith-head I think, but it's a great resource overall. I hope to start going to Crossfit classes when and if we move.