| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Girls and Weightlifting
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:31 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

vegimator wrote:
The monkeybar crossfit gym chain is vegan owned and they emphasize a vegan diet. http://monkeybargym.com/

Good to know! Thanks, dude.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:58 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I love lifting. I've been focusing on my legs for a while now, and I feel so much better about myself when my legs look nice. yeuuhhh!

@inmypies
Texas VegFest 2012

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:56 am 
Not NOT A Furry

linanil wrote:

Low reps generally build strength while higher reps build endurance.

This is super important for people to understand. Sets of five do not bulk you up. They build strength. You will bulk up if (1) you do sets of 1-3 reps AND (2) you take steroids. We just don't have the testosterone, so don't be afraid of lifting. You will not look like a man!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:56 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

almiratanner wrote:
linanil wrote:

This is super important for people to understand. Sets of five do not bulk you up. They build strength. You will bulk up if (1) you do sets of 1-3 reps AND (2) you take steroids. We just don't have the testosterone, so don't be afraid of lifting. You will not look like a man!

I wish more people would understand this. Most of my friends don't really understand why I lift and everyone, literally everyone!, always asks me why I lift and if I wanna look like a man... Or they tell me to "be careful or you'll end up looking like a guy". I just smile and nod, there's no point.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:06 pm 
WRETCHED

cosmiclettuce wrote:
almiratanner wrote:
linanil wrote:

I wish more people would understand this. Most of my friends don't really understand why I lift and everyone, literally everyone!, always asks me why I lift and if I wanna look like a man... Or they tell me to "be careful or you'll end up looking like a guy". I just smile and nod, there's no point.

Yeah, the odd thing is I don't know why people point to pictures of elite body builders with extremely low body fat flexing and think they'll turn into that overnight lifting anything heavier than a 3 lb dumbbell.

I have a friend who actually aspires to be a body builder although I think some of those goals have faded. She has been lifting heavy for years, she had slightly broad shoulders which makes her waist look super tiny but she wears a size 4. Looking at her, you can't tell she lift weights unless she really flexes her muscles and even then, only when she is trying to get her body fat low can you really tell.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:32 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I loved doing weights at the gym before I started p90x in September. My husband has been going to the gym for 10 years and he set my programmes for me. We had to cancel my membership to pay for our p90x stuff, but they stuffed it up and now owe me a month for free, so I might go back for four weeks after we finish this round of p90x [right on Christmas] and see if I notice much difference/improvement in strength...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:59 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I know this is silly, but how do you deal with people telling you you look fat or bulky? I've lost some fat since I started training but I've put on a lot of muscle and as a result my clothes are a bit tighter, especially my jeans. I think my figure is greatly improved when I look at myself in the mirror, naked, but apparently with clothes on I just look 'fat'?

I've actually had to flex and tell people to feel it to make them believe that's actually muscle on my arms and legs... And then they give me the line about being careful or I'll end up looking like Ms Olympia. It's a little discouraging, to say the least.

Not that I'm trying to please anyone other than myself, but I'm visiting home after a few months away and it's a real put-down to have everyone say things like "I thought you had been going to the gym...?!"

edited for grammar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Wow, what kind of jerk tells someone they look fat or bulky? I'm sorry, lettuce. It would take 'roids or at least a full time job as a weight lifter to it to look like Ms. Olympia, and even if you did, who cares? Muscles are awesome things to have.

I would shame them by saying, "Working out has really made me stronger and more confident and I love my body, so thanks for being a crasshole trying to make me feel bad about myself."

Actually, I wouldn't say that because I'm really avoidant, but I would definitely think it!

Don't let them get your down is the point I'm trying to make. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

That sucks cosmiclettuce! I think girls with muscles are really hot!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

I look fat and bulky when I don't weight train. Hence me squeezing in my workout clothes, rolls and all to get to my kettlebell class tonight. I'm so sorry lettuce that someone called you fat or bulky, that's ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:34 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thanks guys! I think I'm just having a case of over-sensitivity. After all, even my own mother (!) said "ah, you don't look skinny after all."

Anyway I'm feeling better about it today, and I'm off to the gym to lift the shiitake out of some weights! :D

How is everyone's lifting going, by the way?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:15 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Had the best lifting session in weeks, today! Hit PB for every lift, which was pretty cool especially since I had missed my other two sessions this week. Left the gym feeling so awesome :D

And then I met an acquaince and the first thing she told me was "You put on some weight, didn't you?"

I just can't win. I was even wearing a t-shirt so if she looked she could have seen the definition in my arms... Granted it's not too much yet but it's there and it's something I've never had in my life. I wish people would notice THAT for once!

Am I gonna have to go on a cut here?? What's your experiences with the whole bulking/cutting cycles thing?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:33 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've been using the Women's Health Big Book of Exercises and think it's a great! I like how I can just pick and choose different exercises for different body parts, and I even learned a few new ones.

I wish more women lifted weights. And I really wish guys at the gym didn't scope out my asparagus everytime I do straight leg deadlifts. It's creepy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:50 am 
WRETCHED

School has gotten in the way of me working out. I'm going to go tonight but it is going to suck. No dedicated weights tonight but lots of body weight stuff.

Cosmic - it sounds like you need to lose some of the fat covering your muscles which basically means cut your calories. Do you watch your calories now?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:54 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

cosmiclettuce wrote:
I know this is silly, but how do you deal with people telling you you look fat or bulky? I've lost some fat since I started training but I've put on a lot of muscle and as a result my clothes are a bit tighter, especially my jeans. I think my figure is greatly improved when I look at myself in the mirror, naked, but apparently with clothes on I just look 'fat'?

Challenge them to an arm wrestling match. Be sure to brag when you win.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:22 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

haha arm wrestling match! I'll be sure to remember that for next time.

linanil, I don't count calories as I find it too much of a hassle but I eat clean 99% of the time, plus I'm sugar-free. I guess I can eat less quantity but won't that end up affecting my lifts? I care more about progression than people's opinion of my figure. I'm thinking adding an extra cardio day might be a better option. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:23 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

luftpost wrote:
And I really wish guys at the gym didn't scope out my asparagus everytime I do straight leg deadlifts. It's creepy.

An old guy was checking me out when I was deadlifting today. Had I not been on my second-to-last rep I would have dropped the weight and told him to peas off. I dislike pervs. =/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:23 am 
Baking In The Flavor

lecttuce, what the fizzle?? That is so messed up that you've had multiple people make comments to you about your weight. Coming up with a canned response for those kind of situations might be a good idea, to let the other person know that those kinds of comments aren't okay and to let yourself know that you're worth standing up for. I'd probably say, "actually, I've been taking really great care of myself lately and I feel awesome and really strong. I'd appreciate it if you didn't make comments about my weight or size unless I specifically request your opinion."

It sounds like you're doing great. I don't know your history or where you started from, but lifting weights and getting strong is awesome, no matter what you look like.

I went to a fun lifting class last night that was HARD! I love classes so I don't have to think about the exercises I'm doing or how many of them I'm doing--I can just focus on form to get the most bang for my buck. It was funny, though, because there were a bunch of apparently not-in-great-shape women lifting super wimpy weights and I just wanted to give them some heavier weights and say, "here, try these, get back to me in a month," but instead I was just happy that I'm not afraid to lift heavy :).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:52 am 
WRETCHED

cosmiclettuce wrote:
linanil, I don't count calories as I find it too much of a hassle but I eat clean 99% of the time, plus I'm sugar-free. I guess I can eat less quantity but won't that end up affecting my lifts? I care more about progression than people's opinion of my figure. I'm thinking adding an extra cardio day might be a better option. Suggestions?

Keep doing what you are doing then! I figured if you wanted to cut down some calories/increase activity, then that would get some of the fat off. It might limit your progress some though to cut calories but you can always see how you go.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:15 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Saw a few friends over the weekend and got all good comments regarding weight/shape -- happy! I'm still contemplating that cut, though not as seriously now. I'll add a bit more cardio this week and see how that goes. Thanks everyone for the support!

Pop!, that weightlifting class sounds good! have you tried a simple lifting program? most have only 5 or 6 exercises that you do, it's very convenient.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:56 am 
Huffs Nooch

I finally ordered that New Rulse of Lifting for Women book or what-not because my best pal has been recommending it and says there is a program you can do entirely from home, so I plan on starting that soon. I'm all for strong lean women! Muscle is sexy! I quit my job where I lift big bags of dog food...and dogs..pretty regularly, so I need something to keep me strong and tough! Feeling that muscle build makes me feel so dang sexy and strong and confident. Down with the haters!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:14 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

[quote="cosmiclettuce"]

Pop!, that weightlifting class sounds good! have you tried a simple lifting program? most have only 5 or 6 exercises that you do, it's very convenient.[/quote

I'll set up a program like that for myself sometimes when I go to the gym. I just love not having to plan or think about pushing myself because the teacher takes care of that--I just have to show up! And I inevitably get a better workout in a (good) class than I do when working out by myself. I love classes!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:27 am 
Tofu Pup

If you have men compared to women of the same size and weight the men are much stronger in their upper bodies.

http://articledirectory.com/Art/514529/ ... eview.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:49 am 
Nailed to the V

I puked in class last night. Well, I ran to the bathroom. That has never happened before. I can't even say I pushed myself too hard since it was about 10 minutes in. Eek. I think it was the drastic up and down in the warm up that did me and my equilibrium in. I think. Or I haven't been going enough and I suck. Damn, I love weights too, but I'm so embarrassed! Trainer said to just practice things like jumping jacks then mountain climbers before I do kettlebells all the time and I'll get used it it. Yeah...I better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

Pop! wrote:
cosmiclettuce wrote:
So how are the rules of lifting different for women? I'm always wary of books that target women specifically as they tend to have a lot of bullshiitake included. I take it this one's different?

I really don't know how this book differs from the men's one. I'm wary of women-specific stuff, too, because too often "women" is translated into "sissy" and "don't lift too heavy or you'll look like a MAN and nobody will want to sleep with you!" But this book is really good and details different lifting plans with progression as you get stronger. As far as I could tell, the only thing that made it a women's book is that they used women models. Obviously I ignored the obligatory diet chapter.

I'm brand new to this forum, as of today actually, and this is only my second post. So hello everybody!

I'm a strength & conditioning coach, personal trainer, massage therapist, and I specialize in functional training, corrective exercise, and pre/post-rehabilitation.

You guys were referring to a "new rules" book I believe. I'm not familiar with that book. But I can tell you that there aren't any different rules regarding strength training for women versus men. That being said, one important thing to remember is that they way you see most people work in a gym, both men and women--the muscle split routines is not an effective way to train year round, either from a strength perspective or from a fitness one. It comes from the body building hey day, which those of us in the gym can thank for the fact that gyms are so pervasive these days. But what many people don't realize is that your training should be "periodized," i.e. look at your work out in terms of a year, where during that time, you work in smaller micro cycles where you would work on muscle endurance (lighter weight/more reps), core stability (you have to have a very stable core first before you can have a strong one), balance, stability, and general neuromuscular adaptation (that feeling you get when it feels like your body is finally all connected and moving and working as one unit.

The next cycle of training would typically be hypertrophy (muscle gain), i.e. what you typically see in the gym. Women, please don't get scared here. The amount of muscle your body can amass depends predominantly on the amount of blood testosterone levels present in the body. Hence the reason that men have much more muscle tissue than women. After that would come a strength phase (just because you have muscle doesn't mean you have functional strength), and then maybe power, sports specificity, etc. Your training would cycle through these micro phases each year, always working to increase many aspects of your total fitness.

Then there are programs like Crossfit, P90X, etc. that do different workouts every time, or much of the time. These work very well too, provided that you have a good foundation of fitness, proper biomechanics, core stability and strength. But one thing that many people don't realize is that these are not beginner programs, which is why you need that proper foundation to start. They work well because they are constantly working as many large muscle groups as possible and working on the principle of muscle confusion, i.e. your muscles never know what to expect, which is also one of the reasons for the micro cycle type of program design that I mentioned above.

Oops, sorry. I guess I veered off topic just a bit. But everything I've stated above is related to the topic actually. There is no different way for women to train than men. You should always work to tax your muscles, no matter what phase or program that you're in. For instance, doing more reps and less weight is not effective if for instance, you do a set of 20 dumbbell presses with 5 lb. dumbbells. I'd only use that weight for very deconditioned or elderly people. If you finish your set and you could have done more than 2 more with proper form, you weight is too light. On the flip side, the concept of "working to failure" should only done if the proper form is maintained.

I hope I didn't ramble too much. I hope that some of this is helpful and I'd be happy to elaborate on anything that I've mentioned.

What's the new rules book that was referred to?