| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Resources for vegan eating whilst training/building muscle?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Please can people give me some resources for being vegan and eating whilst training and building muscle?

In context, I need some suggestions for someone who is omni and thinking about coming to stay in my flat (which is strictly vegan) for 2 months or so this summer, and is currently in serious training and trying to build muscle. She's a professional dancer and learning aerial dance.

I'm already aware of Vegan Fitness (http://www.veganfitness.net) but beyond that I don't really have any more resources to hand.

However, this is something I'm interested in myself anyway, so I'm looking forward to reading more about it.

Post subject: Re: Resources for vegan eating whilst training/building musc
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:08 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Vegan Bodybuilding is a vegan bodybuilder website and community. The guy who runs it published a book, I think. I don't rate the site that highly, but others like it. There's also a German language site that I can't remember the name of.

The principals are essentially the same: plentiful protein, sensible carbohydrates and fats. Things just come from different sources. It really depends on what your friend eats now. If she eats nothing but lean chicken and egg white omelettes, she's going to find it a bit of a challenge. If she eats lots of daal curries and tempeh, she's more or less sorted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:57 pm 
Nailed to the V

I learned a lot from Brendan Brazier's book, The Thrive Diet. I don't follow his menus per sae but it really helped my to understand what kinds of foods I should be eating pre workout, recovery, during exercise etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:13 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Bumping this thread: What Brendan Brazier book should I get? I'm requesting a couple from the library, but just wondering which one(s) people have. Thrive? Thrive Food? Thrive Fitness? Thrive Diet?

I want to get my diet more consistent (not like in the diet=weight loss sense, in the this is what I eat sense), so I can have more energy and strength gains. I really, really want to be able to do pull ups on my own.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

Sorry for the delay, I lost track of the this thread. I have the Thrive book and it is good for ideas but it goes way overboard for someone below the level of elite athlete .

I have found that the secret to the diet you are looking for is to eat protein 5-6 times a day. I think the best thing to do is just read up on standard body building nutritional info (avoid gagging from all the steak consumption) and apply the same principles veganised.

I include protein with every thing I eat now. I usually add a half cup of legumes (which I cook up huge batches weekly and keep the large pot in the fridge) -- smoothies, salad, oatmeal, soups, etc all get the scoop of beans. I also have protein powders which I will add to smoothies, salads (pumpkin powder tastes great on a salad) and just as a drink if I am in a rush. Protein, protein and more protein, but spread out throughout the day so you can absorb it all: your body can alone absorb so much in a single meal.

If you are trying to really build muscle, you need to be excess of about 400-500 calories over your normal calories and include more fats (like coconut oil in your smoothie) than normal. The bulk and cut cycle works really well for building muscle and strength but you do gain a little flesh in unwanted areas during the bulk phase; you can lessen the surplus to minimize this effect but you will also sacrifice total muscle growth. I do about 300 surplus and it has worked out really well for me.

You should also try to eat a nice meal as close to finishing off your workout as possible to give the muscle repair as much fuel as you can.

I think a lot of it is common sense and vegans are usually pretty good about their diet being well balanced, so it comes down to lots of protein, eat a surplus, eat well balanced, and hydrate really well.

BTW: sleep is equally important in building muscle! Your body really needs as much time in the repair state as possible to fix up the damage you are doing to your muscles.

Lastly, preworkout, have something with high percentage of fast release carbs (fruit) to give you lots of energy for your lifts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:44 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Thanks for the information, but as an update to the original post, in the end she never came to stay in my flat and an incredible vegan friend has been living there instead, so it all worked out for the best after all.

Definitely keep it going if it's useful for other people though :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:06 pm 

Thanks for the info Jonny Guitar! I ended up getting Thrive, and I see what you mean. I'm following some of the overall principles between that and Racing Weight, both focusing on the net gain from food and nutrient timing especially around a workout.

I'm so intrigued though, beans in smoothies and oatmeal? Can you taste them?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

In smooties, you can't even notice the bean addition, it just seams to make them thicker. The exception to this is something like kidney beans which have those really thick skins which you do notice. IMO they don't take like beans at all, either in a fruit based or veggie based, they work really well.

In oatmeal, you can taste them but they taste earthy which goes with the whole oatmeal thing. I don't make my oatmeal really sweet though so it may be more noticeable in a sweeter concoction. Pumpkin protein power, oats, raisin and cinnamon is really yummy though!

Try adding a couple of T of beans into your smoothie and see what happens. I don't actually measure, I just chuck a handful in and I don't recall ever thinking it was too beany; to kaley, to sprouty, to banana'y happens but never too beany.

Those Thrive Date/Kiwi/Coconut oil thingies are super yummy and really effective for instant energy and so yummy!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:35 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Does anyone know of any protein powders that are tasteless? Or that at least would work with savory things? I have a protein powder I like for berry or green smoothies, but I was toying with the idea of being able to add a bit of protein powder alongside pureed beans to things like butternut or carrot soup. I'm not a huge smoothie fanatic, but soup on the other hand I could eat every day. Am I living in fantasy land?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:09 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I wouldn't say look for flavorless, not sure that's possible. But find one which flavor works with the soup! I bet (and I'm talking pure 1 ingredient style here) hemp protein powder would work in some soups, maybe your more powerful flavored green/dark soup. Like kale and black bean or something. And then Jonny Guitar is talking about pumpkin protein powder, I've never heard of it, but I bet it'd go great in any squash or root veggie soup! I wouldn't add it in until the end though, or as serving, because I get the feeling that you're going to cook out a lot of some desireable qualities if put in to start. Oh just realized, soy protein powder is probably really suitable for almost anything, too. Yeah if you're just buying the single ingredient type powder, not a mixture they intend for smoothies, I have a feeling that literally any of them would work just fine in savory.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

yeah, flavorless would be a better descriptor. i ordered both hemp and pumpkin, so we'll see how this works!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:59 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Whatever you do, just don't lick your fingers after reaching into the bag of hemp powder like I did once... That shiitake tastes really weird by itself. Seemed to blend into things fine luckily. But wow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:07 am 

Mars wrote:
Whatever you do, just don't lick your fingers after reaching into the bag of hemp powder like I did once... That shiitake tastes really weird by itself. Seemed to blend into things fine luckily. But wow.

I was thinking about getting this to add to oatmeal; how did it taste in stuff? I'm afraid it'll make everything taste like rope.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:04 pm 
Nailed to the V

Pumpkin works great with savory stuff. I sprinkle it on salads, I add it to oatmeal (with a touch of tahini..yum), I sprinkle it on my the rice in my nori rolls, stir into a bowl of lentils or soup, etc etc. It is a really tasty addition to anything. Anything where taste matters, I use Pumpkin; everything else gets Hemp. I use the Omega Nutrition Pumpkin powder.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I ordered that same Omega pumpkin protein powder, and you are so right. I stirred some into my (already hot) AFR butternut squash soup, and it worked really well. Blended right in. I'm a fan.