| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fitting fitness into your life
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm so impressed by the PPKers here who have managed to make fitness (and healthy eating) a regular part of life. There was a very brief time in my life where I exercised regularly, but it was brief and my life is so different now.

I know everyone has the same 24 hours in a day, but I'm wondering if you can share the times of day you work out and how you fit fitness (and anything else related to being healthy) into your schedule.

I'm a teacher and I often feel destroyed at the end of the day. I eat dinner, chill on the couch, and then go to bed really early. I know the reason why I'm so tired at the end of the day (my eating habits are total crepe at the moment), but I'm having trouble fixing that in a sustainable way.

We got rid of our gym membership for financial and time reasons, but that's not going to stop me. I like running and have tried now and again to do the couch to 5k thing, but I never stick with it.

Any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Fitting fitness into your life
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:47 pm 
Chard Martyr

I work out at 3pm M, Tu, W, Fri, sometimes Saturday if I'm not working.
Sometimes I work out at 5pm with friends, but I prefer 3. I just force myself to go those days, even if I'm tired, because I know I'll appreciate having done it, once it's done. I crave and appreciate my Thursday rest day.

I work my job 4:30a-12:30, but when I didn't have those hours (or when I'm off) I love working out in the morning because it helps me make better food choices during the day for some reason.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:53 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

If you schedule it into your week, you are a lot more likely to do it. If i just work out whenever i feel like it, i never work out. But if i plan on going Tuesday and Thursday, chances are i will actually go.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:04 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, I have a weight lifting routine that I'm now scheduled tues/thurs/sun to do mostly because when I started it I was fanatically going to a free outdoor fitness thing called november project that met monday/wednesday/friday. (Now I'm injured due to running/had a half marathon, so I'm going a lot less but hope to pick it back up soon!) The fact that it was ONLY mornings on m/w/f helped so that that was when I got my workout in. The times I don't go are when I'm either too busy (ie travelling) or injured (like right now). It's harder to talk myself out of it too since it's a set time so I can't do the 'oh I'll do it later thing' that never actually works out.

I also bike to and from work. I live about 7.5 or 9 miles away (depending on my route). If you live farther than that and like cycling, you could drive part of the way to work and bike the rest?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Lillian, I live stupid close to work. I should be biking every day, but I was focused on cutting myself some slack this past year due to depression and a bunch of other stuff. But I have no excuse for not biking every day since it's close and I am in the Netherlands after all. I just punk out when it's cold or give in to the temptation of some extra time. To be honest, it takes me nearly as long to get to work by bike as it does by car!

I'm impressed that scheduling a workout works for you. As soon as I set a date for anything that doesn't have a real consequence, the devil on my shoulder is determined to fail at reaching it. I also haven't found a reward that really tempts me. The usual tricks don't seem to work with me!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Well, I've been failing recently! But mostly due to injuries. A part of it is that if you verbal (which I don't need that motivation to go, so I don't), and you don't show up, they mock you in a blog post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It's really, really hard. I try to bike most days because that's what I like best and if I don't bike right before or after work then I usually don't have time and currently don't live somewhere when I can use a trainer inside. Those days I have to go to the gym and run, and if that happens, it happens really late at night like around midnight. I hate staying up that late (not to mention it disturbs my sleep cycle) that it's usually motivation for me to wake up earlier or jut make sure I move other things that are more move-able so I can jazzerciser before work.

Also, I find it helpful if I can't do cardio for whatever reason to not give up and throw in the towel for the day. Even a simple 20-30 minute regime of stretching, using a foam roller, core exercises, or a simple free weight circuit is much better than nothing and i can do it while I'm watching or listening to something and or even when i video chat with my bf (who doesn't mind).

My problem is I am not really good with moderation, and so I have to remind myself it's not all or nothing. It's not defeat to just do less, and in fact it makes it much easier on days when you have time or motivation for more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I recommend finding something you love doing that also happens to be exercise. My job is terrible to schedule around. I work from 9:30-6:30 or 7:00 most days, sometimes later and sometimes six days a week. But I love climbing so I still usually manage to go three or four days a week (mostly right after work) and then have dinner at like 10:00.

I have been slacking on the cycling though. It's a lot easier in Oakland than in London.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I second vegimator's suggestion. Maybe signing up for some kind of class even if you don't stick with it can be a way to find something you are passionate about. I love roller derby and whenever I'm on a team, it's a commitment and I won't break it. I used to take aerial fabric art classes and I never missed a class (in part because it was so pricey!) Maybe you (you said you had budgetary constraints) can do just a single drop in class? Like yoga, spinning, capoeria, dance class, etc?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:15 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

i third finding something you love and letting everything else fall into place. part of the reason i'm motivated to exercise is that i want to be in tip top shape for roller derby, and it gives me a point to my exercising - i know if i just had a vague idea of wanting to be in better shape, i would not be as committed. i also try to make biking/walking to places a normal, everyday thing - where i live, it's do-able, and even if it's not much, its better than nothing.

i am the worst at having a good workout time - i usually do some sort of exercise (yoga/skip rope/run/just started lifting weights) for an hour before i go to bed every other day.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

another one for finding something you love and digging in. for me, i wake up at 4AM (5) times a week and 5AM the other (2). i drive 20 minutes to the yoga studio where i practice ashtanga yoga (mysore style) for about 2 hours every day. i am in love. i cannot imagine not practicing ashtanga - it makes me a better person and i love how challenging it is. well, it's kinda a love-hate relationship sometimes, to be honest. ha! for me, doing something at the very beginning of my day is best, because i lose all motivation after work because i'm wiped (i'm a massage therapist). before ashtanga, i would swim a mile a few times a week before work. i loved that as well. for me, there's something about doing something good for myself physically while most people are still asleep. i feel accomplished, energized, nd i'm in such a great mood driving home for a shower and getting ready for work knowing that i already kicked some booty early on. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ditto finding something you love. I started lifting weights several months ago and now for the first time in my life, I actually get bummed when I have to miss workout. Part of it is because for the first time I'm not exercising in an attempt to lose weight - I'm exercising to get stronger and as a form of stress relief. The motivation really seems to make a difference, at least for me.

And I second scheduling it into your week - I lift Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays, only shuffling those days around very occasionally. On weeknights I workout in the evenings after work (8-5:30, roughly, including commute), and on Sunday I just do it whenever it's more convenient. My weights are in my house, which obviously makes it easier, but I feel like setting aside the time is key regardless, because in the past I'd come home from work, be exhausted and cranky, and just think, "ugh, I'll do it tomorrow" until I never did it at all. If it's a Tuesday, I know I'm working out. I need consistency to stick to things. That hour or so also functions as my "me time," which helps.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:18 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I bike commute to work, which means that I get some exercise in pretty much every day.

Beyond that, I just try to get my exercise done as early in the day as possible and keep a consistent schedule. And, on the consistency note, I track how often I exercise. It's kind of nerdy, but it works two ways-- first of all, I often will feel like skipping a workout but I look at my streak and I don't want to blow it, so I go anyway. Secondly, it just makes the exercise feel more satisfying to me! Because otherwise I kinda forget I exercised and then I forget how awesome it was.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:02 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I try and make fitness a specific part of my day just like anything else - work, meetings, volunteering etc.

I run Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays with a group of my running buds. To make this happen I pack my running gear and stay at work for 1-1.5 hrs after I'm off (I use this time to catch up on personal projects, reading, etc) then leave directly from the office. If I actually went home, I probably wouldn't leave. Being committed to others helps my accountability. Plus, its a social activity as well. I've been running on Sunday mornings for years, so it's just routine now. Mentally, my day isn't over until I've met my pals and run. It means that my days can be long but they are long when I have other non-fitness commitments too. My friends and family now all know that I have these standing commitments, if brunch is scheduled for Sunday morning, I'm probably not coming!

I pack my yoga gear and leave straight from work (or get up early and go before) to help me get to my 1-2 hot yoga sessions I week. The other workouts I fit in (1 strength/weight workout plus a couple individual runs) I honestly just do it. It seems simple, but I actually don't allow myself to think about it much. I don't wait until I "feel" like it because if I did, I wouldn't do it half the time. My workouts are only an hour or a bit more (except Sundays), which in the big scheme of things isn't much. When I think about how I would otherwise use that time, I often would just waste it by dicking around on the internet or procrastinating on chores or something. I rarely feel worse after my workout than if I hadn't done it at all.

I huge part of why I feel like I am able to fit fitness into my life is because a) I love running. Like love really love it. The other stuff I do is stuff I like, but I really do it to compliment running. And b) my husband is a big motivator. We do lots of out fitness together and he is extremely dedicated to his fitness regime. His no-nonsense attitude has rubbed off on my over they years.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Netherlands isn't so great at having flexible hours. In the states when I was working out often I would bike to the Y at 5:30, get ready for work there, then bike to work. It was awesome. Here the gym opens (at the earliest) at 7 on weekdays. Also, they didn't have locker rentals so that just made it more annoying to lug my stuff around.

At my last teaching job in the states I also ran with some friends at a park, but that's where school ended at 2:45. Here lessons can go until 4 and with tasks I'm usually there until 5:30. It was great. When I moved here I experienced a pretty severe depression and just lost touch with all of that. I'm trying to figure out some new ways to get motivated to exercise, but I'm a bit of an all-or-nothing person like fupapack mentioned. I'm working on this!

One thing I know I love doing: weight training and lifting. I don't have weights at home, but I'm planning on buying some of those adjustable dumbbells and a Kettlebell since I found I love that, too.

I wish dropping into a class here was easy! The hours are what kill me. Most yoga classes happen during work hours since so many people work part time. I live in a smaller town and I've given up on gyms and classes since the times just aren't convenient or flexible.

I like running and lifting. Need to make that happen! Or at the least do some stretching each day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:57 am 
Impressive boner

I used to work out every Mon, Tues and Weds before work and Thursdays after work. I cancelled my gym membership as I was tired of queueing for the squat rack and that the gym didn't have competition sized kettlebells, so I bought my own, but now I don't train as often as I did. I got into a funk with being ill for a lot of 2013 and my training suffered as a result, so now that I'm feeling better I'm trying to get back into a routine with training but I'm finding it hard at the moment.

In the new year I'm moving my equipment out of my bedroom and into our spare room. I'm hoping that having a separate room for training will help with my motivation.

This week I'm training today, tomorrow and Thursday.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

pickledtreats wrote:
One thing I know I love doing: weight training and lifting. I don't have weights at home, but I'm planning on buying some of those adjustable dumbbells and a Kettlebell since I found I love that, too.

Mr. Cornelie and I got some dumbbells and exercise with youtube videos as our 'class'. We did a 10 min arms workout for a while (need to start doing that again...). It's great that you can do it at home, it's free once you have some small equipment, and you don't have to commit to a long workout.
We also try to use our bikes more often for transport and recreation and we take walks in the evenings and on the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:00 am 
Ninja Master

I find I have to go before work during the week or I won't go. Once I get home and have dinner and put the tv on, that's it. I'm not moving. I've got out of my routine a bit at the moment and my ankle/foot is injured so I can't run. Hopefully it'll heal over Christmas and i'll be able to get back into it in the new year.

I do go to dance classes 2 nights a week and I only miss them if I HAVE to. So I guess that counts as exercise, but really it's just a big part of my social life and I love it.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:08 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I go to ballet two nights a week with a coworker. Every day we need to go, one of us is dragging her feet and we encourage one another in a friendly and jokey way. I have problems with self-nagging about getting exercise because I was addicted to exercise in my early twenties and I have no interest in going back there. I also bike commute, which I LOVE because it's an easy ride but still amounts to about an hour of exercise in any given day. I have a desk job now for the most part, which I don't like, but I volunteer for and seek out every work-related activity that will get some movement into me. Often this ends up being strenuous activity for more than an eight hour session, so even though it is stuff that probably isn't that kind to my body (repeatably heavy lifting huge cases of cider upstairs, running around like a crazy person running events), I still see results and feel stronger and exhilarated. I try to go to yoga classes or practise at home on days off. Unfortunately I have a mentally difficult time fitting in yoga on work days.

I really hate the gym, running, and cycling for fitness rather than practicality, so I've been forced to be kind of creative. When my dad was raising my sisters and I he used to do stuff like park the car in the furthest spot from the grocery store and sprint to and from the store to fit in tiny bouts of exercise, and I always think about that and try to fit that "every little bit counts" philosophy into my life.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

If you like lifting maybe check out New Rules of Lifting For Women (or For Life - there are a few different ones out there). They are books so aren't a big investment like DVD's or a gym membership, and are totally do-able if you buy the adjustable dumbbells. I totally agree that if you like it you are more likely to be motivated to stick with it.

As for me, I schedule my routine onto my calendar. Generally 3-4 days of lifting with maybe some HIIT and running/DVD's/yoga on another 2-3 days. I have to fit it in before work otherwise it is just considerably more challenging to get gone. This means getting up between 5 and 6 depending on the planned workout so I can be at work at 8. After work, assuming I can leave between 5 and 6 and not later, I walk or lightly run with my husband and dogs as soon as I get home. Then its dinner and martini time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

I get really depressed if I don't work out. I have had periods in my life, due to major injuries, when I was unable to exercise for years at a time and I went into a deep hole of depression. It is so counter-intuitive to get up and do something physical when you feel awful (physically and/or mentally) but it is the best thing I have come up with to combat depression.

I switch back and forth between strictly regimented hours/exercises and just doing whatever pops into my mind during the hours available to me. At the very least I will get in a brisk couple of mile walk even if it cuts into my sleep time....I get more out of that time spent exercising than I do the equal hours of sleep with no exercise. I have my exercise bike park right in front of my TV and for the past 2 years, I have allowed myself to watch Tv/Movies only when I am riding the bike.

Stuff like Tabata interval training has been shown to be beneficial to aerobic and anaerobic stimulation with one 4 minute cycle (after warmup of course). Some days I wake up feeling blah/tired/unhappy and the last thing I want to do is get on that damn bike; but, within 15 minutes those three feelings disappear and start to feel better.

Craigslist, if you have it, is your friend for buying adjustable dumbbells cheap. Exercise ball and a couple of dumbbells is all you need for great fast workout. Kettlebells rock though so you are right to get one of those too.

Lastly, get in on the weightlifting thread and you celebrate/commiserate with the rest of us.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:44 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Take this with a grain of salt, because I've only been working out regularly for about 2½ months - not that long. The key for me is that it doesn't take too long every time. Short workouts, where I can change and shower at home, are what works for me. Normally I pick up R from daycare, go home, change into workout clothes, and start cooking dinner. Then my husband comes home and either he takes over cooking, or if the kid needs attention one of us finishes cooking and the other does the childminding. Then I work out before I eat - sometimes J and R wait for me, sometimes they eat while I work out. The workout is either Couch 2 5k, or a variation on StrongLifts 5x5 (all with dumbbells and without a bench). After stretching, I'm usually too hungry to shower before I eat, so I eat in my workout clothes, then shower and change into jammies.

Another thing that helps is that I make sure to have a substantial snack in the afternoon so I can stand eating dinner a little later. With this routine, I'm able to work out two days out of every three and I really don't feel that I have much less time than before. After a couple of months I'm beginning to notice definite improvements in how I feel.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:49 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

It is definitely a challenge! I work Tuesday - Saturday from 10AM- 6PM and it takes me about an hour to commute each way. I usually hit the farmer's market and cook a soup, some grains, and some proteins on Sunday in addition to prepping raw veggies for salads, making hummus, granola, and some kind of healthy sweet treat so we have lunches through the week. Because of my late start work schedule, I use mornings to prep for dinner, to read, to have leisurely breakfasts, to stretch, and frequently to just take a little walk 30 minutes- 1 hour. Because I tend to rise early, I can really make a lot of my mornings! I usually have two- three hours to get ready and do other stuff. I practice yoga, hike, and walk as my main exercise, so I tend to do yoga in the evenings and then I get home between 8:30 and 9:30 depending on the class, have a late dinner, and pass the eff out. I usually practice 5- 6 times / week. If evening yoga is feeling difficult, I either hike or walk for an hour in the AM. I will say that my commitment to keeping a healthy lifestyle takes up time that would otherwise be spent keeping my relationship romantic, hanging out with friends, and working on projects that make me feel inspired and excited. It's a HUGE commitment if you work full time, so I say, be realistic! 30 minutes of power-walking or practicing yoga at home totally counts as a workout. For me, the key to getting through the 12 hour work + workout days is lots of snacks. I keep a giant cache of hummus and cut-veggies in the fridge at work and bring 2- 3 pieces of fruit with me every day in addition to a healthy and hearty lunch.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:40 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I've found that for me I have to do something consistently for 30+ days or more to find out if I truly love or hate it. I thought I liked going to the gym, but after consistently going a few days a week for a few months I realized I hated it. I thought I hated running, but I made myself complete C25K (which took 8 weeks) and now I'm passionate about running. Once I know I love something I find it easier to schedule it into my life, so it doesn't feel like as much of a chore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:50 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oh, yeah. The other thing that really made me start making fitness part of my every day life is a sort of counterintuitive psychological thing... I got really really forking busy, and then I started thinking of exercise as sort of stolen time. Like if I spend an hour running, I'm taking an hour I "should" be spending doing any of a million other things I'm using it just for meeeeeeeeee. It's ridic, because of course exercise is a thing I "should" do too but I've moved it out of responsibility territory and into this special treat category in my brain.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!