| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fitting fitness into your life
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:04 pm 
Hip Goiter

I have to get enough sleep or I don't function, but I've also come to need exercise in order to function too. It's really hard to choose between the two (I have a long commute in the morning, and the morning is the only time I like to exercise) but both are really important. So I'll get up at 6am on a weekday and force myself to exercise one day, and if I need to I'll sleep an extra 45 minutes the next day. I try not to sleep in 2 days in a row. I also go to bed earlier than I ever have before (like...right now).

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I started doing squats while i brush my teeth, or while i am stirring pots or microwaving something.
ed: I also heard something on the radio today about putting adult-sizing playground equipment at parks, so adults can play and exercise while their kids play and exercise. I don't know about you guys, but see-saws are pretty much the funnest ever. I was too big for them, but now there is hope.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:50 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I'm struggling with this, too. I made a goal to actually get in 10,000 steps a day (I wear a pedometer) and to do a squat challenge for the month of January. The squats are easy to fit in because they're an anywhere activity, but I'm only on day three of my 10K steps and I was flummoxed by a big snow storm which meant I worked from home (and even then, only 5 hours) which meant I felt guilty for taking any more time away from my family today because they were *right there* all day being sad that I was around and not having fun with them so I couldn't force myself to then go to the gym after that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I worked out today! Granted it's Saturday morning, but I was feeling a little hungover from some wine the night before so I see this as a huge success.

The more I think about this issue in my life the more I realize the hurdles are very basic self-care things that I'm not doing well: skipping meals, eating shiitake, irregular sleep or staying up too late on my phone, etc.

I need breakfast and lunches and dinners if I'm going to be able to function AND work out. Maybe even some snacks. I also need to turn out the lights at a decent hour at night and get up on time. These things are hard for me at the moment, but I have some food prepped for next week when I go back to work. Hoping that will give me the energy I need to consider exercise.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:53 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:05 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I am in a similar boat as you, pickled treats. I get so down on myself, and so anxious and full of self loathing. It's all because of simple self-care things: eating better, actually exercising. I just don't want to do these things, even though i know in the long run it will make me happier.
I need to take advantage of my parent's basement while i am home. There's an exercise bike in front of a tv, a bunch of weights and weight machines, and a WiiFit. I have no excuse!
The WiiFit isn't the best exercise, but it is fun and gets my off my butt. I really like the strength training. Plus it's fun to dress up as a penguin and slide around.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:46 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Thanks for this thread! I wonder the same thing. As long as I can bike to work I at least get some movement in, but in winter...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:13 pm 
Tofu Pup

I recently got into fitness dvds! I still attend the gym for classes but I would only go a few times a week and wouldn't do anything else if I didn't make it there. Running outside is frigid now, plus I have an irritated hip flexor which doesn't allow me to run more than one mile (ugh). So far the combo of the fitness dvd (as cardio) and my gym classes (as weight training) has been nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:27 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

When you get up early and directly go to your work out, when do you manage to eat? Before or after? It takes some time to digest properly and I can't see myself running right after breakfast, so I'd like some advice!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:53 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I wake up at 5am and I don't eat anything before I work out. Afterward is when I have my breakfast (usually a smoothie). If I'm doing something particularly strenuous or I think I will get hungry, usually a medjool date or two right before working out keeps me going.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, if I'm working out in the morning, it's either nothing (especially pre-work) or a spoonful of peanut butter if I feel like I need it. I don't lift in the mornings for the most part (because it's always way harder for some reason, even after breakfast) and I do fairly well on fasted cardio.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:48 pm 
Saggy Butt

I eat afterwards. If I'm running for an hour in the mornings I may have some syrup in a decaf coffee. But usually, I get up, I put on my running kit & I get out there. Food on return.