| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 128  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:07 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This is the first time I will have run outside in the winter. On my beach run the other night it was really dark by the time I had finished. How do you guys manage to fit in runs when the morning & nights are so dark? Any tips would be really appreciated. I'd rather keep treadmill running to a minimum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:08 am 

monkeytoes wrote:
Coach T posted this to the book of faces this morning. Cute, and accurate enough.

Love it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:25 am 
Dead by dawn

Chickpea wrote:
This is the first time I will have run outside in the winter. On my beach run the other night it was really dark by the time I had finished. How do you guys manage to fit in runs when the morning & nights are so dark? Any tips would be really appreciated. I'd rather keep treadmill running to a minimum.

Hate the dreadmill with a passion. I'd rather put on a headlamp and some reflective tape (pretty much all my running clothes have reflective detailing anyway) aand run somewhere safe in the dark. In the morning I just run an out and back on the main street near me because it's well traveled even at 6am. In the evening I have a park trail near me, which doesn't sound safe unless you know there are as many people running it on a dark Thursday evening as there are on a sunny Saturday morning (thankfully, Seattle loves to run Green Lake!) Which is all just to say that if you take the necessary precautions, running in the dark isn't too bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:41 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I struggle with the dark mornings every year. I just don't feel safe running in the dark (because of tripping over things) and can't deal with a head lamp (glasses + ponytail + head lamp = too many things on my head), so I haven't been going in the mornings. I've been going during my lunch break at work, but the problem with that is there's only time to go so far. I'm supposed to be training for a half marathon but all I've been managing is a couple 3-milers during the week, whatever classes at the gym, and a long run every weekend (10 miles tomorrow - whee!).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:55 am 
Dead by dawn

Chickpea, do you have a local running club? If so, there are probably weeknight group runs and there's definitely safety in numbers. Likewise, check with local running stores. Mine has a free group run every Thursday evening; you just have to show up on time and fall in with the folks at your pace.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:45 am 

Thanks guys. There are a few running clubs around. They are all about 25 minutes drive from my house. I've looked at the websites. One looks very friendly & seem to be encouraging new members. The others just seem to want to do races & talk about races with little information for newbies. I'm a little nervous about going to one on my own though. I'm such a wuss.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:37 am 

4 miler today in probably a month. AAaand I'm supposed to run a half marathon on the 26th! Haah.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm in. I'm running again after having a baby, a huge burnout from overtraining a few years ago, and tons of other excuses.

I think I'm over the beginner hump. This time I started from scratch and built up to 30 minutes over several weeks. Today I ran 5 miles! It felt great. The weather was perfect and the cold I'm getting didn't bother me (at least while running).

Anyway, I've been lurking here and everyone has been inspirational.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:32 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I need to run, I want to run. I'm stepping up my cardio/fat loss stuff to compliment weight training. Basically my body building/weights side is good but cardio is rubbish hence me still being overweight.

I went from no exercise whatsoever to starting a run a year ago. I could barely shuffle and even then I felt so heavy and like a tank. I want to be one of those graceful gazelle runners. Eventually as I lost weight I felt light but I still plod along. Who am I kidding-- I plodded along the last time I went for a run which was aaaages ago. I'm hoping to go tonight. First run in a long long time and I want to see if I can beat my best time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:34 pm 

Nice one Butternut!

Hope you managed your run Violet.

This week I have 35 children from my lunchtime running club entering an after school cross country competition against some local schools. It is also a qualifying event for the county cross country event. I'm really looking forward to it but I'm nervous for them all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:45 pm 

Violet, I also want to be one of those graceful runners. I think my running is more penguin-like, though. I did start running about three weeks ago, and it's sort of getting better - plus I ram two miles straight yesterday and it felt pretty ok.

Anyhow, no advice, just commisseration. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ack, I've been pretty absent from this thread. After my full in July I had this mental block toward running and needed a rest...somehow that rest turned into a ~3 month hiatus. BUT, I ran a half marathon this past weekend, super under-trained. I was much slower than usual, and I have wicked DOMS in my legs, but I think it rekindled my interest in running so yay! So I guess I'm back in this thread. :)

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:00 pm 

Hey Lobsteriffic, nice to see you back.

Today I ran/walked for 45 minutes with two friends who want to start running. Then I went & ran for 25 minutes on my own as it was such a lovely evening. My kids cross country event was cancelled due to the weather. So have to wait until next Thursday now.

Olives it took me months to get to 2 miles. Well done you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:13 pm 
Inflexitarian

My hiatus was only a couple of weeks while I finished up a major project, but I got back into it yesterday! Just a short 5k. Took 30 minutes which isn't as good as my best, but is better than my worst, so I'll take that as a sign that I haven't lost too much ground.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:04 pm 

I managed three miles today after being so sick all week. Finally feeling a little better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:47 pm 

45 minute run on the cliffs as the sun was setting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:09 pm 

Woot! Running's getting a little easier for me. To motivate myself, i signed up for a 10k and am now doing a training program for it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:31 am 
Double double, toil and trouble

I've been really busy with school and so haven't posted here much, but just checking in to say that I'm running my first HM in 1/5 hours! I had planned a full marathon but after sloooowly healing from some arch pain issues decided not to risk incapacitating myself and switched to the half. I'm nervous and excited!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:41 pm 

Wow chop_socky that's a fantastic achievement. Well done.

Nice one SD, when is your 10k?

Yesterday I ran for an hour on the beach. Today was half an hour round town.

Hoping my school running club will be able to go to the cross country event tomorrow night & it won't be cancelled again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:35 am 
Seagull of the PPK

glad to see you folks have been busy!!
i'm back running again, after a hiatus of god only knows how long. i was dithering about about which gym, scheduling, etc etc and finally just went and plonked down the cash for 3 months at my old gym, problem solved. I am taking it really slow as I have been feeling some changes in my knee (when i was running the most, i was unable to squat, the tendons were too tight, now i can squat again) and i don't want to push it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:21 pm 

Chickpea wrote:
Wow chop_socky that's a fantastic achievement. Well done.

Nice one SD, when is your 10k?

Yesterday I ran for an hour on the beach. Today was half an hour round town.

Hoping my school running club will be able to go to the cross country event tomorrow night & it won't be cancelled again.

Its Dec 15th, the Santa Stampede. I even get a cheesy santa hat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:45 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

Thanks, Chickpea! It was kind of a rough race. The "gently rolling hills" the organization advertised were more like "3 mile uphill stretches," and the "beautiful trails" upon which we were supposed to be running were actually "asphalt and gravel." The weather was lovely, but I would have killed for a few more clouds after a few miles on the road! But I made it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:50 pm 

lobsteriffic wrote:
Ack, I've been pretty absent from this thread. After my full in July I had this mental block toward running and needed a rest...somehow that rest turned into a ~3 month hiatus. BUT, I ran a half marathon this past weekend, super under-trained. I was much slower than usual, and I have wicked DOMS in my legs, but I think it rekindled my interest in running so yay! So I guess I'm back in this thread. :)

Hey, the same thing happened to me yesterday! Ran a half marathon with almost no training. My hip is super achy, but I'm stretching it and I think that was the appropriate kick in the pants to begin again. I figure if I can run over 13 miles, I can still do regular running.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I ran for 45 minutes today and had shin splints in my L leg. That's a new one for me- if I have problems it's usually my L IT band or R plantar fascia. It seemed to settle down after I did some calf stretches, and when I could keep off pavement more. I may have to try and stick to trail running for a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:34 pm 

5k, achived!
I am still not hating running, which is a major victory.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 128  Next