| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:29 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Like monkeytoes said, I ran a marathon. Signing up for another one tonight.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:14 am 
Dead by dawn

Ooh, when's the next one? How'd it go?

I missed my more aggressive goal time in Austin and started plotting immediately when the next crack at it would be. A couple months on, I'm not quite as enthusiastic. I mean, I'll definitely do another one, I just don't know when (NYC would be nice...)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:41 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm so jealous of you guys running marathons. I did a lot of long distance running last year, and it was my goal to run a marathon. But I just had so much trouble keeping weight on doing that much cardio. Now I run a total of about 1h/week. Maybe when I get older I can take up long distance running again :(

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:40 am 
Saggy Butt

Congratulations, studio!
Congratulations, lillianp!
Congratulations, luckyklutz!

More details, please! I love hearing about races.
Love Child, I eat constantly when i'm marathon training. Seriously, constantly.
And I too have already signed up for another!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:46 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

luckyklutz wrote:

You are the awesomest. Enter the lottery for NYC, damn it! Stay with me if you get in!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:41 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Congrats, lillianp & luckyklutz!

I was in Philadelphia this weekend with a friend and one of the things we did was a guided running tour. You get a personal guide and they plan a route of however long you want and go whatever pace you want. It was awesome because I had never been to Philly before and we did the run at the beginning of our visit so we got to go past lots of stuff and see where it was and get oriented. My long run had to be 10 miles that weekend so that was the distance we did. Perfect weather, too. So if you are ever in a new city, I definitely recommend a guided running tour. They have them in a bunch of places.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:34 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

That is such a brilliant idea! Running is normally my favourite way to explore a new city anyway :)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:37 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm preeeeetty sure I have a shin splint on my right leg. It sucks since I've gotten really into running now and are able to do it faster and longer (guess that's the problem). So now I guess I have to rest and cross train?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:48 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

monkeytoes wrote:
Ooh, when's the next one? How'd it go?

I missed my more aggressive goal time in Austin and started plotting immediately when the next crack at it would be. A couple months on, I'm not quite as enthusiastic. I mean, I'll definitely do another one, I just don't know when (NYC would be nice...)

I missed my goal by a few minutes because I went crazypants in the beginning and ran way too fast. My headphones also punked out on me at mile 20, so I spent the rest of the race cheering on every runner I saw (the last 12ish were out and back) and thanking all the police for directing traffic. I'm signing up for the Rock N' Roll Denver Marathon on October 20th. It looks nice and flat.

alice1drland wrote:
luckyklutz wrote:

You are the awesomest. Enter the lottery for NYC, damn it! Stay with me if you get in!

That's so expensive. I would totally love to do a race in NYC with you though! You are my runspiration.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:41 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

luckyklutz wrote:
That's so expensive. I would totally love to do a race in NYC with you though! You are my runspiration.

I'll cover your eyes when you swipe your credit card, don't worry. That's what I'm here for.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:30 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

alice1drland wrote:
luckyklutz wrote:

I'll cover your eyes when you swipe your credit card, don't worry. That's what I'm here for.

That is not helpful.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:51 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

And I just registered for the Boulder Marathon. It's all on easy dirt roads and suburban streets. That sounds so nice to my knees.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've started running again! My stress fracture finally healed up around February, but then I strained my calf, and because I walk a few miles every day getting around it took a while to heal fully. But I've been running 3x a week (3-4 milers, keeping it easy still) and absolutely no pain or discomfort! I'm going to start running 4x a week again this week, and then next week start building up my long runs again. I wanted to run the Seattle Marathon this year, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea? By the time it rolls around I will have been running again for over 7 months, with about 4 months off before that (there were some sporadic runs and elliptical usage during that time, but I hadn't been running regularly since the end of November due to injuries and depression.)

Thoughts guys? I more of want to run one just to see if I can than for any particular time. I had a really shitty start to the year, and running my first marathon seems like a good way to end it.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:22 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

yay!
Finally a decent run! Second time this year (baaaah!!!) but in my park, usual route, and I ran about 40 minutes!!!
Not sure exaclty because my watch was out of battery (that's what I get for not running since last summer, I didn't even notice), but I ran all through my 40 minutes playlist and then a little more, so considering the 1.5 songs walking breaks I took, it's about 40.
Yay!!!
Now I really really really want to find enough time to keep it up, I was feeling great at the end!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:13 pm 

So I've been holding off the running because of probable shin splint. How do I know when I can get back into it?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:15 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ugh, that's a hard one.

i am so completely not into running right now. of course, i just signed up for another 6 months of the gym. le sigh.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:52 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

pannkakan wrote:
So I've been holding off the running because of probable shin splint. How do I know when I can get back into it?

Wait until there is absolutely no pain doing daily activity, or even just lingering soreness. It's obviously not the same, but my calf strain took forever to heal because I tried to run two weeks after it happened because I thought the tightness wasn't a big deal and was just from being inactive. Until the last mile, I felt fine. Then the tightness became pain and the next day I was back to limping around like day one. This time I waited until it felt totally normal, which was about three weeks later. I feel like if I had just waited an extra week the first time I probably would have been good to go, but I pushed myself too much, too soon and I just ended up reinjuring myself. I have definitely learned to err on the side of caution now.

Oh, and when you start running again, start slow (literally and figuratively). Just run at a comfortable speed and keep your distance short, and give it a few weeks before you start to build up (slowly!) again.

Hope everything heals up quickly for you!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:09 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I did pyramid intervals on the treadmill yesterday, really fun! 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 minutes in 5k pace with 2 minutes easy running in between.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:31 am 

Simply_Love wrote:
pannkakan wrote:

Wait until there is absolutely no pain doing daily activity, or even just lingering soreness. It's obviously not the same, but my calf strain took forever to heal because I tried to run two weeks after it happened because I thought the tightness wasn't a big deal and was just from being inactive. Until the last mile, I felt fine. Then the tightness became pain and the next day I was back to limping around like day one. This time I waited until it felt totally normal, which was about three weeks later. I feel like if I had just waited an extra week the first time I probably would have been good to go, but I pushed myself too much, too soon and I just ended up reinjuring myself. I have definitely learned to err on the side of caution now.

Oh, and when you start running again, start slow (literally and figuratively). Just run at a comfortable speed and keep your distance short, and give it a few weeks before you start to build up (slowly!) again.

Hope everything heals up quickly for you!

Thank you. The daily pain is gone finally, but when I try to take a step "running", it hurts. So I guess I'll wait until that's gone too.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I need to add some structure to my running, so I'm looking for a running plan. I want to incorporate hills and speed days, as well as a medium run day and a long and slow day. My goals are half marathons, slow-med speed, and general fitness improvement. Does anyone here have a plan they love?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:11 am 
Saggy Butt

I used the 12/55 plan (that's 12 weeks peaking at 55 miles per week) from the Advanced Marathoning book for my last training cycle and felt so good after my first 20 miler I told my husband I was gonna kiss the author on the lips if I ever met him. So yeah, I liked that plan. It's meant for marathoning but perhaps it could be adjusted for half-marathoning. I did speed work for the first time on this plan and couldn't believe how much stronger I felt.
I also have the book Brain Training for Runners and want to use one of the plans soon. This book has several plans for 5k, 10k, half marathon and marathon. I like that it incorporates strength training moves and stretching into each day's workout so at the end of the week you've done a whole circuit of strength moves for only a few extra minutes per day. But the plans are long (24 weeks, i think) so I'm waiting til I have more time between races to start one.
I've also used Hal Higdon's free online plans with success.
Good luck! Let us know what you find!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:55 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, I like that 12/55 idea. Though I plan on actually running halfs, I don't mind longer mileage.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:32 am 
Saggy Butt

It's a great book!
Turns out the speed work in that plan really improved my 10k time. I ran my second 10k today a full 3 minutes faster than my first 10k last year. I even beat my goal by over a minute and ran a 47:24! And my team took first place in the business team competition!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:13 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Congrats inceptisol! I am so not motivated to do speedwork but I wish I could run that fast!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 135  Next