| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:09 am 
Saggy Butt

monkeytoes - you have much bigger things going on this year! I hope to hear about your training races in the tri thread. Good luck on those PRs!

My halfm just a week after my full was a mistake! Last year there were 3 weeks between bratislava and vienna so i signed up for vienna thinking it would be the same this year. I'd been planning on bratislava being my spring full for a long time* so when they released the date and it was just a week between i decided to go with it and just run the half for fun with a friend who is running the full. Assuming i can even walk.

coldandsleepy - that plan sounds fun! I ran at least one race every month last year and had a blast doing it. The pink thing sounds kind of terrible though. There must be some incredibly beautiful races in your area. And great weather for running.

*did i tell you guys that i've been picking full marathons based on whether they cross the Danube? It started out as an accident but when i realized all my fulls had crossed it i decided it was a pretty good theme.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:59 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Coldandsleepy, I ran that Santa Cruz half marathon in 2012 and it's great!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:31 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Ran 3mi today for #megsmiles. It felt great!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:13 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Help a newbie out? I am getting the first, slightest tinges of discomfort in a knee. I run about 5k 3 times a week (working up to 10k) with what i think are good shoes, a mid-foot strike and smallish strides. I run on trails and roads. What can i change? Cross train? Take supplements?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

aelle, possibly tight IT band? Or beginnings of runner's knee? There is a ton of very specific info around the internets that could help diagnose and treat either problem. Do you stretch? Or do strength training? The more I run the more i'm realizing how important those things are. Have you had your gait analyzed to make sure you have the right shoes for your feet/gait?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:01 pm 

My knee starts to hurt if I don't roll out my IT band regularly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:49 pm 

Ran for only a mi today. Have an aching pain in my left backside & don't know what's causing it. Frustrated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:10 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ran monday and had to cut out early because the same hip pain as ever started to hint at coming back. Going to try again on friday and stretch every day (did monday and yesterday and currently am stretching now)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:07 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I had a dream last night that it was the morning of my half marathon. I forgot until 15 minutes before the race started and had forgotten to train (???) and the furthest I'd ever run was 4 miles.

I think it's a sign it's time to get running again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:19 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Question for anyone who has ever come back from an injury! I have been laid up with my stress reaction since late November. I bought some new shoes and I'm ready to go on my first run tomorrow. I'm being cautioned by everyone to take it slow, but I'm not really sure what that looks like.

I was thinking of doing an accelerated C25K by doing only one of the weekly workouts over the course of 9 runs. For example, I'd do Week 1, Day 1; Week 2, Day 1, etc. So I'd be back to 5k in about 3 weeks, hang out there for 2 or 3 weeks, and then start back into my half marathon plan. Does that sound like a reasonable comeback schedule, or is that even too fast?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Probably a better plan than I had to go out there and run 3 miles today because I was tired of being injured. I did 2, (mostly) and then had to walk a quarter mile home (I did realize I was being silly while running and cut it shorter) because my hip started to kind of hurt again. I just want to be able to run again!

That being said, not running is making my weightlifting amazing. So there's that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:22 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I miss running! (What??) It's been so snowy and slippery here that I haven't run since whenever I fell and mucked up my knee. Forking winter!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:01 pm 

Had a beautiful 3miler today around Green Lake. And pretty sure I saw mtoes (or mtoes' doppelgänger!) if she was running around 11am there!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:11 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Today I ran my first race of the year...

5.3km in 18:04

And I won !!! I still can't believe it :D

to Nebraskalaska:

The first week after an injury try to run 20 or 30% of your weekly average distance before the injury.
Second week try 50%.
After 1 month you should be back to normal.

I've found that in my case I usually get a lot of ghost pains whenever I return, don't pay much attention to them, but also don't force yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:52 pm 
Dead by dawn

ScooterDiva wrote:
Had a beautiful 3miler today around Green Lake. And pretty sure I saw mtoes (or mtoes' doppelgänger!) if she was running around 11am there!

I was! I ran part of the outer loop on my way to Gasworks. Perfect running weather!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:44 pm 

PPK infiltration! It was a gorgeous day!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:08 am 

worldrunner79 wrote:

Wowza! Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:41 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

coldandsleepy wrote:
I kinda told a friend of mine I would run in the she.is.beautiful 5K/10K in Santa Cruz on 3/23 but I really don't want to. (It is billed as "the pinkest 5k in the wooooorld!!!!" and promises buckets full of pink glitter and woman-oriented self-affirmations along the course.

Oh dude, I hate that stuff so much. That one sounds particularly obnoxious. I'd avoid at all costs.

I ran 5 miles the past couple days, and it felt awesome. Just registered for the 1st SF Half in July! Plenty of time to train, so I don't feel too pressured right away. Should be fun!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:19 pm 

Anger is a great motivator. I was being all lazy today & then had a phone conversation that made me particularly mad. Only ended up doing 2.5mi, but it's 2.5 more than I had originally intended by plopping in front of the tv all day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:47 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

It's coming into marathon season here! (We do them all in the winter when it's not super hot and sunny. I did an early half that didn't go as well as I wanted in December, so I'm really looking forward to some redemption With the Tel Aviv and Jerusalem Half marathons on February 28th and March 21st. I've been running three times a week...generally two runs between 10-12 k, and then a longer weekend run, yesterday's was 17k. I think/hope I'll be ready!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:06 am 
Saggy Butt

worldrunner79 wrote:

So awesome! Way to go!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:09 am 
Saggy Butt

jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
It's coming into marathon season here! (We do them all in the winter when it's not super hot and sunny. I did an early half that didn't go as well as I wanted in December, so I'm really looking forward to some redemption With the Tel Aviv and Jerusalem Half marathons on February 28th and March 21st. I've been running three times a week...generally two runs between 10-12 k, and then a longer weekend run, yesterday's was 17k. I think/hope I'll be ready!

Hey, i'll also be running the half in Tel Aviv! Good luck!
Could you recommend any running routes in Jerusalem? What do you think the weather will be like at that time in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:01 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hi Addicted!
Good luck to you too! There are lots of good running routes in Jerusalem, although the air is pretty polluted in the city, which is no fun. I highly recommend running on the old train track path, which goes from the "First Station" at the beginning of the German Colony to the Malha Mall. A roundtrip is just under 10k. I also like looping around the old city, running to and in Gan Sacher (down below Nahlaot, near the center of town) and the Promenade by Dereh Hevron is another popular route. Let me know when you're running in Jerusalem, maybe we can meet up and run together!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:29 am 
Saggy Butt

jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
Hi Addicted!
Good luck to you too! There are lots of good running routes in Jerusalem, although the air is pretty polluted in the city, which is no fun. I highly recommend running on the old train track path, which goes from the "First Station" at the beginning of the German Colony to the Malha Mall. A roundtrip is just under 10k. I also like looping around the old city, running to and in Gan Sacher (down below Nahlaot, near the center of town) and the Promenade by Dereh Hevron is another popular route. Let me know when you're running in Jerusalem, maybe we can meet up and run together!

Thanks for all this great info! I'm excited to run in Israel. And not just because the temperature will actually be above freezing! It would be fun to run together, I'll be there 1-8 March and my schedule is pretty open right now besides sightseeing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:51 pm 
Married to the wolfman

So I ran my February race on Sunday... it was so hilariously awful. Well, the weather was awful, cold and windy and pouring down rain. The running was quite fun up until about the last mile (of a 10k) when the headwind became just ridiculous and the rain got harder. Usually the last 1/2 mile or mile is the best part of the race for me, like the part where I feel happiest (and go fastest) but that was just gruesome.

I decided on a race for March! The 5k of the Hellyer Half-Marathon/10K/5K. I decided to do a 5K next month just to sort of mentally rest after two 10ks... and also because I am really curious how fast I can run one if I know I don't have 3 more miles to go, heh.

Decided against doing the omg girl power one. Thanks for reassuring me that it sounded really and truly awful.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 134  Next