| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:14 pm 
A Bad Person

I've got a lot going on.

Two weeks ago was the annual 5K that my friend and I have been running since it started two years ago. It's always at the end of June/beginning of July and the last two years it was BALLS HOT. Like, holy shiitake we're dying hot. This year, it wasn't balls hot. It was actually a really pleasant low 70's! However, another friend of ours wanted to run it so we invited him to run with us. He did not prepare at all. We basically walked the whole thing. He finished and he suffered and we were proud of him, though.

We (my running partner and I) felt very unfulfilled. We run that 5K to suffer, and we did not suffer enough. So we did a raceday registration for a 4th of July 4 miler. However, my 15K training group just started up, and the 4 miler was the day after our first training 3 miler.

Some people in my group (also doing the 4 miler) recognized that running 3 miles the night before a 4 mile race might affect their performance, and they chose not to push it. I ignored that and put a 90% effort into my 3 mile run anyway. And then we ran our 4 miles the next morning, and I finally got the suffering that I was asking for. We still ran those 4 miles faster than 5K we did the week before.

And while we were running it, he talked me into doing a full marathon next year. You remember how I was hella jelly when my sister finished her first marathon earlier this year? His girlfriend runs a lot (she destroyed us on that 4 miler), and she talked him into doing that one, so now I'm going to suffer with them because I can't let my sister outdo me and I definitely can't let my running partner run a marathon without me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:57 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Arisaig wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
Pinko wrote:
...the real runners...

The only requirement for being a "real runner" is that you run!

Amen!

Well my first running coach told me:"congratulations you are now an official runner!", once I got shin splints for the first time, which happened exactly one week after I was finally able to finish my runs without suffering.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 am 
Bathes in Braggs

But I've never had shin splints!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Wah, not a real runner. Just kidding. I think I know what he might have meant - when you have your first challenge as a runner is when you start to feel like a runner.

I've been chatting with a runner on OKC and he ran 55 km the Saturday before last. Just a training run, supporting another runner who is training for a 100 run. Holy heck. I am not involved in the running community mainly because I don't have time but this guy is getting me interested in meeting more runners IRL (and not just for dating).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:50 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I need advice, runners. I'm kind of suffering through my marathon training. My long runs are just so uncomfortable; my knees and hips ache so badly that I worry I'm going to injure myself. But it's been so long since I've done these longer distances and I just don't know whether my level of pain is normal or not! I'm eight years older than when I last ran a marathon, but at thirty I don't think my body should be falling apart quite yet. Do I need to stretch more? Eat differently? Suck it up? I thought it was my shoes so yesterday I ran ten miles on brand new shoes (the same ones I've bought for years, so I didn't need to adjust to them) and felt just as crappy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:10 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Do you do any cross training? I wonder if yoga or swimming might help. Do you stretch after your runs?

You shouldn't be hurting that much. Maybe you do need to try a different type of shoe.

I would not suggest sucking it up if it's hurting so much. I sympathize though - we want to keep running no matter what.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:24 am 
Married to the wolfman

Hm. I dunno. I always experience some achiness at some point in my long runs, usually toward the end. (Usually it's my asparagus or my ankle bones though.) For me, I think that's the key distinction-- if I'm feeling pain throughout my whole run, something is wrong. If I'm just feeling it in the first mile (when everything always feels like shiitake) and towards the end, then it's probably normal.

Sorry you're suffering moooo! I hope it eases up for one reason or another soon.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:24 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

Do you warm up before you run? My training group generally has us do this dorky, but effective warm up. We start with a quick jog around the block followed by this

Could it be your form? I had my form analyzed earlier this year, and a few minor adjustments made a big difference. A sports medicine doctor of physical therapist in your area might offer gait evaluation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

mooo wrote:
I need advice, runners. I'm kind of suffering through my marathon training. My long runs are just so uncomfortable; my knees and hips ache so badly that I worry I'm going to injure myself. But it's been so long since I've done these longer distances and I just don't know whether my level of pain is normal or not! I'm eight years older than when I last ran a marathon, but at thirty I don't think my body should be falling apart quite yet. Do I need to stretch more? Eat differently? Suck it up? I thought it was my shoes so yesterday I ran ten miles on brand new shoes (the same ones I've bought for years, so I didn't need to adjust to them) and felt just as crappy.

I think a bit of ache is normal, at least for me. I remember the last time I trained for a marathon I had to quit wearing my regular work shoes and start wearing squishy trail running shoes to function.

On the other hand, sharp or constant pain is no good. There is marathon training and then there is marathon training....if you are trying to improve your time or hit some specific goal it takes so much more training than just running to finish. Maybe you can reconsider your goals and scale back a bit if needed?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:26 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Thanks guys! It's never sharp pain like an actual injury, but it's pretty intense ache that I don't remember from last time I did this. It starts after 4 or 5 miles. I'm doing all my training alone so I don't have the distraction of company, which I think would help, but sadly my schedule is too weird to be part of a group. I stretch as much as I can, but I really don't have time to do full yoga classes on top of running. I'm trying to replace some shorter runs with long bike rides and might consider some swimming. I just get annoyed with other exercise options because it takes so much more time to get the same workout as I would with running, and I don't have a ton of free time. Thanks for the warm up ideas, N, I will try those! And I will look into whether my health insurance pays to see a physical therapist. That would be awesome but honestly if I had to pay out of pocket I wouldn't do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:53 pm 
Dead by dawn

Warming up and running through some drills before your run, and stretching and foam rolling religiously after may help. If your hips are aching, rolling out your piriformus on a tennis ball is good in addition to foam rolling as well. I was really close to having a gait analysis done when I was suffering a few months ago, but a couple of massages, scaling back my training and putting some of my run time in on the elliptical instead, and dedicated aftercare helped immensely.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:35 pm 

mooo wrote:

Probably you are adding more mileage than what you can handle...
I would suggest to stop when you start feeling those pains. If you've to do 10 miles in one day try to do as much as you can without pain in the morning and the rest in the afternoon. The little pain might change your running form and a wrong running form might lead to injuries. If you do not have time to do two runs a day do not worry, just run less. It is much better to run less pain free than having to stop for some days because of an injury.
It would also be good to go to the gym and do some leg press, leg extensions and leg curls at least, or some other type of workout to strengthen your legs at least once a week.
Check also your running technique it is also very good to do once in a while some running form exercises.

I would be really careful about stretching, specially static stretching since there are several studies proving that it does not help to prevent injuries and it can lead to some other problems like damaging the efficiency of your muscles. (if a part of your body is already injured stretching can help, but if your body is healthy I would not recommend it)

To my experience unless you have a tear, massage always helps a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:24 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

Big Sur registration is next week. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to try to register...but I'm still toying with the idea. Its nuts to sign up for a second marathon when you haven't even run the first, right?

I had a great run today! It was hot. For some reason I actually do pretty well in the heat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Today was my long run day (11 miles). I tried walking for 1 minute every mile and it seemed to be a lot easier on my body. When I finished I felt like I could run a few miles more, and usually I feel like "thank goodness I'm done, my legs want to die now."

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:55 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sounds good lobsteriffic!

Nebraskalaska, I know people who have! I don't think there is a right or wrong answer I'd go with your gut feeling. You know how your training is going and how you are feeling. Let us know what you decide.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

lobsteriffic wrote:
Today was my long run day (11 miles). I tried walking for 1 minute every mile and it seemed to be a lot easier on my body. When I finished I felt like I could run a few miles more, and usually I feel like "thank goodness I'm done, my legs want to die now."

I do this too, even on normal runs. I know some people think you should run the whole time no matter what, but my legs feel a lot more fresh and my splits are usually more consistant (and even a bit faster even with the walking) than if I run the whole time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:12 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I ran my longest long run in a while today! After my HM back in May, I went through a weird stretch where I felt like my long run was shrinking and shrinking until it got stuck around 14 miles. Today I busted out a 17 with no problem. Confidence boosting!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:20 pm 
Dead by dawn

Simply_Love wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

I do this too, even on normal runs. I know some people think you should run the whole time no matter what, but my legs feel a lot more fresh and my splits are usually more consistant (and even a bit faster even with the walking) than if I run the whole time.

I think it's way better to plan a walk/run scheme ahead of time, rather than waiting until you are exhausted and your form is breaking down and then taking walk breaks because you have to. On long runs your overall pace isn't likely to suffer much from planned walk breaks because you are able to finish strong. Even some pros use walk/run in training. Typically I will run my whole run, but today I had two hours scheduled after a brutal bike ride yesterday. I just knew my legs were tired going in so I did the same thing; walked a minute at the end of each mile. I finished with my shoulders relaxed and in good form, so I count it as a win.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:28 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

You guys! This morning I was running on my usual trail and I looked to my left and there was a doe about 5 feet away from me. We just looked at each other for awhile and then she got a bit spooked by some cyclists, so I started running again. But then on my way back I saw her again and she had her baby with her! The fawn couldn't have been more than a few months old. So cute!

Also, today's my birthday so it felt like a little present.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wow that's amazing! What a great birthday present! (And happy birthday!)

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:49 pm 

Nebraskalaska wrote:
You guys! This morning I was running on my usual trail and I looked to my left and there was a doe about 5 feet away from me. We just looked at each other for awhile and then she got a bit spooked by some cyclists, so I started running again. But then on my way back I saw her again and she had her baby with her! The fawn couldn't have been more than a few months old. So cute!

Amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:36 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Nebraskalaska wrote:

It's just the best isn't it. I love seeing the deer on my local run.
We are birthday running twinsies! Happy birthday!x

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:09 am 
A Bad Person

Tuesday was hill sprints. My hips and the ball of my right foot are still sore. Today is an interval run. Despite still being sore, I'm totally looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:01 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Chickpea wrote:
We are birthday running twinsies! Happy birthday!x

Woo! Hope you had a good birthday run!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:12 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Happy birthdays Nebraska and Chickpea!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128  Next