| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3698 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:28 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Awesome, quagga! Way to go. Training for consistency and avoiding injury is really smart - I admire your restraint!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

dandykins wrote:
Awesome, quagga! Way to go. Training for consistency and avoiding injury is really smart - I admire your restraint!

Well, speed is really out of the question, so those two are leftover by default...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:08 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Heh, well, for me at least, the other options are training too long at too high an intensity, which generally leads to injury. Hence my admiration of your approach!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:03 pm 

I think I spoke/typed too soon.The first workout for the 10K program is a "speed" workout. I guess I'm training with the big girls and boys now!

I'm really looking forward to the incremental, but measurable, improvements that steady training brings. And being a slow newbie, there's a LOT of room for improvement. There's always a PR just around the corner!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:59 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Anybody here can suggest a good place and time to run near or in Seattle Downtown?
I'll be travelling there on Sunday, will stay there for a week.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:23 pm 
Dead by dawn

worldrunner79 wrote:
Anybody here can suggest a good place and time to run near or in Seattle Downtown?

How long a route do you want? If you start from South Lake Union (where MOHAI is) you can do a 6-mile loop around Lake Union. If you add Portage Bay to your loop it's about 8.5. There's also a paved trail along the waterfront, though if you head north on it you will eventually end up on a not so scenic, bike heavy trail surrounded by railroad tracks. It's OK though, for immediately downtown. If you want a trail run, hop on a bus to Discovery Park. If the water taxi runs this time of year (I honestly don't know) you could take it from downtown to Alki and run the path along the beach. You can go about 6 miles out and head back the same way. That's a flat route. Let me know if you're looking for anything particular and I will try to come up with something.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

monkeytoes wrote:
worldrunner79 wrote:

How long a route do you want? If you start from South Lake Union (where MOHAI is) you can do a 6-mile loop around Lake Union. If you add Portage Bay to your loop it's about 8.5. There's also a paved trail along the waterfront, though if you head north on it you will eventually end up on a not so scenic, bike heavy trail surrounded by railroad tracks. It's OK though, for immediately downtown. If you want a trail run, hop on a bus to Discovery Park. If the water taxi runs this time of year (I honestly don't know) you could take it from downtown to Alki and run the path along the beach. You can go about 6 miles out and head back the same way. That's a flat route. Let me know if you're looking for anything particular and I will try to come up with something.

In particular I'm looking for a place as close to the hotel (downtown) as possible where I can run without having to stop ever 30 seconds for a traffic light and where I can run save without being run over by a car. Trail, flat, pavement, etc does not matter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:43 pm 
Dead by dawn

worldrunner79 wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
worldrunner79 wrote:

In particular I'm looking for a place as close to the hotel (downtown) as possible where I can run without having to stop ever 30 seconds for a traffic light and where I can run save without being run over by a car. Trail, flat, pavement, etc does not matter.

Then the waterfront is a good bet. You'll hit traffic signals on your way down there from your hotel, but notbing to stop you once you're on the path. Ditto the Lake Union loop. Traffic lights on your way from your hotel to the park at the south end of the lake, but on the west side of the lake and around the north end you are off the street so no stops and not much worry about cars. The east side of the lake has a couple of lights but no big deal. Alki would be zero stops and no car woes but you'd have to get there. The nice thing there besides the view is that it's impossible to get lost.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:23 am 
Dead by dawn

Anyway, worldrunner, pm me your email address if you want and I will try to scare up some maps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:10 am 
A Bad Person

Ran my last race for the year on Saturday! It was a 10K trail run. As far as all the non-race bits, it was probably the worst. Long line to pick up my packet. Terrible parking. Nothing but Bob Marley at the start and the finish. Terrible post-race snacks (chocolate milk, chilli, vegetable soup, hot dogs, and store bought cookies) that you had to go through a smokey cabin to get. Even the shirt was bad! It was an Abraham Lincoln themed run, and Abe's face is nowhere on the shirt! If I'm running something with Lincoln involved, there better be a penny, or Abe's face, or a stovepipe hat, or something Lincoln on that damned shirt! And I had to find the company who did the timing to get the results the day afterward because they weren't posted on the race's website.

The race itself wasn't bad though! Mid-November in IL is pretty brisk, but I got hot halfway through in my long sleeve and tights, so I popped off the long sleeve and ran through the woods without a shirt. Felt great. The course had some of the steepest climbs I've done this year, and at least three long stair climbs. My results were extremely mediocre, but I blame that on Bob Marley. And I haven't run in a month, which didn't help.

Unless something really cool pops up, or I get really bored, that's my 2015. 5 races, down from 14 last year. Most of that was a conscious effort to reduce how many I was running, but some of it was because I reduced my distances and focused on speed. Hard to compare results from last year to this year, because some races that I did compete in both years were at different distances, but I did cleanly shave 9 minutes off of a 5.7M trail run. I feel pretty good about that. I came 23 seconds away from getting under a 25 minute 5K.

I doubt I'll shoot for distances again next year. I want to stay in the top half or top third of results for my age group, so I need to move faster. I've kinda started to hate distances. I'm also starting to get a grip on which local companies are good at putting together races and which are not. I think that will guide what I sign up for next year more than anything.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:30 pm 
Hip Goiter

I would be so FORKING pissed that I didn't get an Abe Lincoln tee.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:26 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I have so little patience for races that don't have their shiitake together - I'd rather they charge a higher fee and get the logistics right. I'm glad it was a good run itself, though. And man - that sounds like a great season! Congratulations on the speedy results!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:23 am 
Nailed to the V

I ran a "5k" the other night. I did for reasons of Principle anyway...it was a Jewish/Arab Unity run in Jerusalem, and was awesome. However, they mis-measured the distance. Instead of being the 5k everyone thought, it turned out we actually ran 5.56k. Not that I can't...normally I don't run races less than 10k, but when you've mentally prepared and paced yourself for a certain distance, it's kind of annoying when that's inaccurate.

The organizers laughed it off as "well everyone ran the extra, so it's fair"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:22 pm 

W00t! Thanks to monkeytoes, I learned that the MioLink wrist-based heart monitor will sync perfectly with my Garmin 620. No more core chill and no more chafing from the chest strap! So happy! I don't do heart rate training, but I like reviewing HR after my workouts to confirm my level of effort and to see how quickly my heart rate drops back down during recovery. Thanks MT!! <3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:29 pm 
Dead by dawn

You're very welcome, I hope you love yours as much as I used to love mine... I lost it at the race on Sunday. I think it got dumped out in the dark, muddy changing tent and we didn't see it when I was packing back up. So sad! I will definitely get another though. Gotta keep REI in business!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:52 pm 
Hip Goiter

I think I have what the internet so helpfully calls 'runner's knee'. Both knees. UGHHHHHH. Anyone have experience with it? They hurt when I'm moving about and feel alternately strained, or tight, or pinched, &c. I feel like I'm the Tin Man and I need oilcan. UGH I hate getting older. Every other time I've had any sort of injury I'm better with one or two days of rest but now it's been like a week almost.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:51 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

RandiJM wrote:
I think I have what the internet so helpfully calls 'runner's knee'. Both knees. UGHHHHHH. Anyone have experience with it? They hurt when I'm moving about and feel alternately strained, or tight, or pinched, &c. I feel like I'm the Tin Man and I need oilcan. UGH I hate getting older. Every other time I've had any sort of injury I'm better with one or two days of rest but now it's been like a week almost.

Not that this applies to you too, but whenever I have anything on both sides (and it has happened with runner's knee), it means it's time for new sneakers. I hope it gets better soon!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:18 pm 
Hip Goiter

Dave the Cat wrote:
RandiJM wrote:

Not that this applies to you too, but whenever I have anything on both sides (and it has happened with runner's knee), it means it's time for new sneakers. I hope it gets better soon!

That's a good point - I am actually on new sneakers, and I followed the general guidelines for easing into them super slowly, but maybe it was still too rushed.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:34 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I am running a 5K on Thanksgiving (because I do almost every year). I haven't continuously run a 5k in a while. I have been doing November Project here in Boston which includes running Summit Ave on both sides (amounts to ~2-2.5 miles) up and down the steep grades on both sides. I'm hoping that plus the stadium seat climbing will get me through the race. If I get under 30 minutes I will be pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:53 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

lillianp wrote:
I am running a 5K on Thanksgiving (because I do almost every year). I haven't continuously run a 5k in a while. I have been doing November Project here in Boston which includes running Summit Ave on both sides (amounts to ~2-2.5 miles) up and down the steep grades on both sides. I'm hoping that plus the stadium seat climbing will get me through the race. If I get under 30 minutes I will be pleasantly surprised.

I bet you get under 30. Summit Ave is no joke! f your 5K is flat it'll seem like nothing. I'm doing the gobble gobble gobble 4-miler in Davis Sq and it'll be my 5th (non-consecutive) time doing it. I looked up my old times out of curiosity and there's no way in hell I will PR (34:39 in 2007), so my goal is to beat last year's time (36:31).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:50 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've been less excited for my runs lately. I've developed allergies of some sort and I started using an inhaler about a week and a half ago. I'm hitting the gym and using the bikes and stair machines more often, but I ran my usual 4.25miles three times this week. Trying to get in a fourth day of it tomorrow because I'm traveling and won't be able to hit the gym again until Monday. :/ Anyway, I just wish my breathing wasn't compromised.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:00 am 
Nailed to the V

Hi Guys! I could use some advice. Until about 8 months ago, my workout routine was mostly a lot of long runs, with some yoga/core exercise thrown in on the side. I was running about 30-40 miles a week, and doing lots of 10k races and a couple half marathon here and there. Then I joined this AMAZING studio/gym, running basically got cut down to the jog to and from the gym (about a kilometer and a half each way) and the OCCASIONAL 5k run with my dog when I don't have time for a longer/slower walk. I've signed up for and run a couple 10ks and a 5k in that time, and been fine even without long training runs...better than fine in fact, I got PBs on each race I ran.

But now half marathon season is coming again, and I'm signed up for the two halfs I really love running annually, one in february and one in april. The February one is mostly flat and I'm not too concerned, but the april one is hilly, and TOUGH. I know this won't be like the 5 and 10ks where because of all the other training I'm doing (I workout 7 days a week, spinning, trx, boxing and strength training - And one day of just yoga) I'm fine. I feel like I really do need to get some run training back in. Problem is I'm already working out probably more than a sane person should, and I really don't have the time for more, even if I had the energy. Anyone have suggestions for some real essentials I could potentially throw in to my current plan to make sure I'll survive the halfs? 2 hour training runs like I used to do just aren't an option right now...but maybe there are some specific "up the ante" sort of things I could throw into my Wednesday two hour spinning marathons? Or gait/sprint exercises to add into my runs to the gym/5ks with the pup?

Any advice is seriously appreciated here!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:17 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Hmmm... so if I understand, you're currently running about 1.5k to/from the gym (3k total) each day (x6 days, figuring in a rest day) with the occasional (once weekly?) 5k with the dog - about 23k/14 miles total per week?

Of course some of it will depend on your goals for the race. If you want to just get through, you can get away with a less running-intensive schedule than if you want to PR. For a distance of a half marathon, you'll probably need one long run a week (progress slowly, every six weeks or so cut back, and overall build up to about 10-12 miles, then make sure to ramp down again a couple of weeks before the race to allow ample recovery time), and since you're training for a race with hills, at least one session of hill repeats or speed workout each week (probably 45 min total); you can alternate the speed/hills workout from week to week for variety (that is, one week do a hill repeat workout, the next a speed workout, then back to hills, then speed, etc.).

I'm thinking you could probably fit the hill/speed training into your usual 5k run time if you stretched it out for another 10-15 min. Alternatively, you might be able to fit mini versions of the speed workouts into the 3k between the gym and back for a couple of days a week instead of just one.

Speed workout options (probably ok to do with your dog during your weekly 5k):
Multi-paced fartleks - http://running.competitor.com/2015/04/t ... tlek_15247
(I would add a 4 to the top of the pyramid at your marathon pace, but that's just me)
Mini (1.5k) version - perhaps cut the times in half and/or use fewer paces?

Kenyan outbacks - go out slow for 10 min; turn around and get back to your starting point 20% faster (8 min.) This is great for teaching going out slowly, because that last 8 min is a bear if you do the first half too fast. Do this drill twice.
Mini version - figure out the halfway point of your 1.5k run to the gym, and do the second half 20% faster than the first half.

Hill repeats - find a long, relatively steep hill that's about a quarter mile long (400m?). Warm up on a flat surface for 5 min out/5 min back, then start at 4 or 5 hill repeats. Every time you revisit the hills, add 1-2 hills to the repetition. Cool down 5 min out/5 min back. Because you're turning around so often and covering a relatively small area, this one might not be ideal for the dog.

You might be able to do the speed workouts on your bike, but since you're training for a running event, I'm guessing you'd want these high quality training times to be running.

Is that helpful at all...?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

SUPER Helpful Dandykins!!! Thanks you so much!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:54 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Tomorrow is 6 months since I had an operation which meant I couldn't run. Tonight I went out in the pitch black dark onto the beach with my head torch & ran a slow mile. It felt SOOOOO good to be running again after such a long break. Just hope I'm all recovered now & that I can slowly start to build my mileage back up again...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3698 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next