| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3698 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

As part of my training I'll run a 21km trail race tomorrow. I'm not supposed to push myself that hard but anyway I'm still a bit scared. It will be my first trail race ever and the 5th time in my life that I race such a long distance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:06 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

After 1 hour 29 minutes and 42 seconds of Mud, Snow, uphills, downhills and spending 2 minutes trying to find my left shoe in a pool of mud I was able to finish the 21km trail in a very honorable 2nd place. Very good way to start the running year in a distance and type of race that I'm not used at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

Wow, congratulations worldrunner 79! That is fantastic and very inspiring.

I've taken up running and am very excited about it. I've been a yoga student for 15+ years, I practice 6 days a week. It's woven into the fabric of my life as much as being vegan. But something recently has led me to think about running and getting out more, yoga is such a personal, private thing. I want a little more movement and action. So, I do my practice in the morning and then a modified Couch to 5k in the afternoons. I'm doing more minutes running than the program suggests because I feel like my level of fitness is a bit higher than "couch". It does provide a nice framework though. It's hard for me to take the days off! I'm going to briskly walk for 30 minutes today then run tomorrow.

I've joined a gym so I can use the treadmills. I tried it on the streets and I am not ok with cars. I live around multiple great gyms so I just walk 2 blocks and pop on the treadmill. I really am enjoying it. It's fun to be a beginner! You longterm runners inspire me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:01 pm 
Dead by dawn

That's a great time for a trail half worldrunner, congrats! I hope you had fun. I love muddy technical trail running.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:40 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

worldrunner79 wrote:
After 1 hour 29 minutes and 42 seconds of Mud, Snow, uphills, downhills and spending 2 minutes trying to find my left shoe in a pool of mud I was able to finish the 21km trail in a very honorable 2nd place. Very good way to start the running year in a distance and type of race that I'm not used at all.

Wow, that is a fantastic time! Congratulations on placing!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:25 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks Alin, Monkeytoes and dandykins :-)

I do not like technical trail running, specially downhills I do not know how to run them fast ( I almost walk them) and I'm a bit scared of them.
Monkeytoes, do you use trail running shoes for the trails races? do they make some difference?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:05 pm 
Dead by dawn

I have a pair of trail shoes but I hate them so I trail run in my regular shoes. But I think my hatred is specific to the shoes so I do want to try another brand/model.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:12 pm 
A Bad Person

I trail run in my vibrams. Because I hate my heels.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:08 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

worldrunner79 wrote:

That's amazing!

I've been working my way back to my summer speeds indoors on the treadmill. I can finish my four miles in under 30 minutes again. I'm very glad... I also am seeing a doctor tomorrow about some foot issues, so hopefully that will get cleared up soon and I'll feel much better running again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:39 pm 
A Bad Person

I bought my first GPS running watch. I got a Garmin Forerunner 225 from Amazon. It should be here Wednesday. I'm so excited! I've been using my phone or just map/clock to track my distances and times, and I've never had a way to track heart rate and the Forerunner 225 does both. I know it's not the latest or best, but it was the right price and a GPS running watch is something I've wanted for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:34 am 
Nailed to the V

Last night me and Harley (my dog/lovebug) went for a run in the snow. Not a terribly long or fast one, but because snow was actively coming down, it was the warmest it'd been all day, it wasn't sticking, so it wasn't terribly slippery, and no one else was outside. It was the most relaxing thing I've done in weeks it seemed, and he didn't have a bad time either ;D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Something curios happened today in the track.

I finished my repetitions and was already jogging slow doing my cool down, when I saw one of the coaches in his knees and with a voice half in agony half laughing looked at me and told me: "I went out too fast on the first repetition."
I immediately remembered my first track workout about 14 years ago, I went out too fast on the first 300m and after finishing the third I had to crawl to the corner of the track to puke. After some lying there my coach at that time came to me laughing, saying:"I sure next time you'll try to do all repetitions at the time that I asked, and not faster."
Still once in a while I do the same mistake, and have to afford similar consequences later during the training.

When we all finished training I asked him: "How long have you been running?"
He replied: "A bit more than 35 years, do you think is time to retire now?"
I said: "No, I was just wondering if it was only me or newbies the ones who do the mistake of going out to fast on the first repetition, but it seems that even much more experienced runners after more than 30 years do not learn. :-P"
He replied:"Do not get any hopes, I think we'll never learn that."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:27 pm 
A Bad Person

I finally joined my local running club, for reals. Before, I'd get a membership through participating in a summer training program. It's included with the program, but I always felt like an impostor because I was only a member half of the year and didn't explicitly pay for it. This year, I've paid my dues and I'm a full blown member, and I went running with some of them tonight!

I'm glad running season is coming back, because treadmill season forking sucks. I'm lining up this year's races. I have a huge gap between May and September, but I'm also not running any races that sucked last time I ran them, so I'm looking around.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:21 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Today I did some trail race in a very nice forrest.

I started a bit fast because I did not want other runners to escape. After 1.2km during a sandy flat straight I took the first place. Then the first hard uphill came and my gap increased a bit, few meters after the first steep downhill came and two runners took overtook me and took a 50 meters lead (I can't run downhills I almost walk them). I was able to catch with them in the next flat phase, and saw that my pace on the flat was much faster so I decided to start pushing from there on the flats and uphills.
Around the 6th km there was a very muddy and slippery section and I hurt my hamstring, I wanted to stop but I was lost in the middle of the forrest and in first place so I decided to slow down and try to finish the race. Few meters I discovered that I could keep running more or less ok just with shorter strides, also the uphills were not a problem.
Around the 9km there was another slippery part and the pain in my hamstring increased a bit. There was then a small uphill, and later a very steep sandy downhill. After the steep downhill it was just a long steady downhill of more or less 400m to reach the finish line. With 60m to go I started hearing the steps of the 2nd place.
With some pain in my leg I increased the speed and was able to cross the finish line first with a time of 41:59 for 10.3km

Trial races are fun but not for me, I do not have the right technique nor the right shoes, I hope the recovery goes well to start good with the track and road racing season.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I just did my first race since 2014. I got ill had to have and operation last year and couldn't run until Christmas 2015. Then after a few runs I injured my neck (not running) so had to take lots of time off again. It was only the second time since the operation that I've run 3 miles & so I promised myself that I wouldn't be bothered about time and just see it as another step towards my recovery.
However, I'm finding it hard to keep to that promise I made to myself. I'm feeling a bit disappointed that I ran the 6 mile course two years ago and each of my miles today were still about 3 minutes slower.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:03 pm 
A Bad Person

I signed up for four races in the next two months. I missed my favorite first race of the year because I was out of town for training. I'm really excited. The first race is a 5K night time glo-run, followed by a 10K trail run the next morning. The park it's in is beautiful in fall, so I'm looking forward to seeing it in spring.

I'm feeling real good about the 10K. The other option on that race was a half, but I would not feel confident about that yet. I probably will by this time next month, but I didn't want to risk showing up for it and hating my life. Besides, a half on trails is probably little more difficult than a flat half on the street, which is what I'm used to.

I only meant to sign up for those two, but then I remembered that the next two were coming up soon and I didn't want to miss the early bird discounts because I'm cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Close to where I live there is this big yearly racing event.
In the even there are several races:
5 or 10km races for amateurs.
a 5km race for young talents where the top young runners of the country race.
Finally there is a 10km race for top athletes of the world. Many 10km world records have been broken in previous editions of this race so you can imagine how competitive it is.

4 weeks ago after winning a race someone asked I wanted to participate in the race and asked me for my 10km to get me a number to start in the front. I was thinking about the amateur race and agreed. Today the list of the participants for the top race was published and my name is there together with 159 athletes, which all of them except me and two others seem to have super fast times. The race is on Sunday and you cannot believe how nervous I already feel, my only wish is not to be the last one and I'm not sure how realistic that is...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:15 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Wow, what an honor to run beside such talented athletes! I suspect you will hold your own. There's a reason you were invited. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:09 pm 
Dead by dawn

Tomorrow I get to run across the world's longest floating bridge.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:07 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

So how was it, monkeytoes?

I've never been big into racing but I love an interesting run. I think I've plugged the Not Since Moses race here before but it bears repeating, in case anyone wants to come to Nova Scotia and have one of the most amazing runs of your life along the bottom of the Bay of Fundy when the tide is out. I did it in 2011 and haven't able to go back again until this year: http://www.notsincemoses.com/run.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:27 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I arrive to the race and asked for my number and a guy approached me and said, no sir your number is not here you are part of the top runners you can pick up your number upstairs... (it felt kind of good I must say)
I went upstairs and entered a room full of athletes that I could recognise for being in the podium of big races. In the room there was breakfast for everybody :) I picked up my number and a banana :P I placed carefully my number on my singlet, took a sip of water and went down to the streets to start to warm up.

I approached the starting line, and you could hear the announcer naming the other athletes that were arriving together with their achievements. I was really nervous and exited just thinking: "I must do a good job, so that I can return to these type of events." We grouped to the starting line I placed myself exactly as the last person of the pack. These few minutes before the start are horribly long, but at some point the sound of the gun started the race.

I started to pass few people after 200m and I was thinking well it seems that I won't be the last. I passed the first km a bit two fast, so I slowed down a bit and still I was getting closer to the runners in front of me. The race was going pretty good I was slowly overtaking other runners. At the 4th km I overtook the 1st of the non-African female runners in the race.
At the 6th km there was a little uphill I tried to push hard there but my right hamstring reminded me of the injured I got 4 weeks ago, therefore I tried to run as relaxed as possible. I continued overtaking runners, I even overtook two female Kenyan runners that were fighting for the third place.

At the beginning of the 9th km I overtook one more runner, but few meters later he started to kick and overtook me again. A bit later I could see the finishing line approaching I felt good enough to kick and go all out on those last 300m but because of my hamstring I did not dare, so I just opened my strides and finished the 10km in 34:33 and 65th place. It was a nice personal best I finally broke the barrier of the 35 minutes and now I believe that with good preparation ( I was only able to train hard again this past Wednesday because of the injury) I can go under 34.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:17 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Congratulations! Good story too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:22 pm 
Dead by dawn

Awesome worldrunner!

The bridge run was fun. Super crowded and if I had been running it for time I would have been very frustrated at how many people they registered. As it was, it was just 6.2 miles in the middle of a long training run.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:39 pm 
Dead by dawn

Just signed up with a team to do a Ragnar relay... two days in a van with a bunch of stinky runners, 196 miles, three runs inside of 36 hours. Sounds wonderful and a little bit terrible all at once and I'm SO EXCITED!

Oh yeah, and I ran a marathon last weekend. It sucked. I had not put in the mileage and I paid for it. Lesson learned: midweek runs are just as important as your weekend long run! Don't skip them!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:04 pm 
Dead by dawn

And here I was just doing it to look cool... thanks spammer!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3698 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next