| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 127  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:08 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I got this hat the other day: http://www.championusa.com/Champion/Pro ... C6780.aspx

I can now wear a hat AND a ponytail. I'm pretty excited about it (yes, I know I'm a dork).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:47 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

anyone dealt with a bruised heel before? have any tips besides just staying off of it?

i miss running :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My ears kill me if I don't wear a headband. I do have a dorky fleece one and I wear it with pride. Think of it as making you look more hard-core.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:50 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I am running about 15 miles a week and I'd love to be at 20 for health and strength. I'm a little too scared to start bumping up my mileage though - I've run 20 in the past, but not consistently, and there's just this little road block in my head that makes me feel like it's too much. Maybe I need cute new spandex or something to make me feel excited about running more!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:32 am 
Not NOT A Furry

How long would you guys leave to start running again after being ill? I think I'll be 100% better by the weekend, but it's snowing here, and I don't want to go out for an hour in the freezing cold if I'm just going to make myself ill again. Any ideas? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:13 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My last run on Saturday was 3.15 miles. I'm slowly inching my way toward 4 miles, three times a week. I'm fairly new to running (started in August), but I honestly don't feel right during the week unless I do some running. I think I'd like to stop increasing my mileage at 6 miles every run (if I ever get there) and run a 10k. I think that would be a good goal for me by next summer.

Anybody have to run in a frozen tundra like me? Any tips? My run last Saturday went well, but once temps go below 10 degrees, I'm either going to take a couple of months off (yuck) or run on a treadmill, which I LOATH TO THE CORE.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:22 pm 

Arisaig wrote:
Laser Ox wrote:
Noob question: I added a 5k jog into my weekly routine & my knees are sore. Is this something that goes away with conditioning like asparagus pain on a bike? Or am I stomping around too much?

If you are stomping at all it is too much. You should be moving vertically as little as possible and landing mid-foot.

Another thing I do is to think of my whole leg as propelling me, right from the foot to the top of my hips, so that all of those muscles are working to push me forward and none is taking the brunt. This also minimizes the side to side swaying that some people do, which adds a potentially damaging twisting.

Are the rest of your muscles sore? Whenever you start something new you're going to ache a bit. Have you gone from no running directly to 5k? Even if you are in good shape this would be hard on you.

Also, some good strength training could keep your knees healthy. Strengthening the quadriceps (front of your thighs) might be a good idea to take care of the knee pain.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:29 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

sarahnorine wrote:
Anybody have to run in a frozen tundra like me? Any tips? My run last Saturday went well, but once temps go below 10 degrees, I'm either going to take a couple of months off (yuck) or run on a treadmill, which I LOATH TO THE CORE.

Girl, you're crazy!! I'm always so impressed when people are running outside in the snow... I can't... my extremities go numb and I always feel like I'm going into hypothermic shock and get really sleepy. It's all about running on a treadmill in the winter and having a really motivating playlist!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:16 pm 

thedreamofhorses wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

Girl, you're crazy!! I'm always so impressed when people are running outside in the snow... I can't... my extremities go numb and I always feel like I'm going into hypothermic shock and get really sleepy. It's all about running on a treadmill in the winter and having a really motivating playlist!

How the hell do you survive a treadmill run? I'm so impatient with it. Are there any secrets to making a treadmill run less of a chore and more fun (ha)? I do listen to music, but I usually can run about 3-4 miles outside and not even make to 1 mile on the treadmill. Bleh. any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:14 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

sarahnorine wrote:
How the hell do you survive a treadmill run? I'm so impatient with it. Are there any secrets to making a treadmill run less of a chore and more fun (ha)? I do listen to music, but I usually can run about 3-4 miles outside and not even make to 1 mile on the treadmill. Bleh. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe you are going too fast? I notice I tend to run faster on a treadmill since I have to go at the pace I set the machine at, not the pace that my body wills itself to go. If it's not a comfortable pace I end up looking at the clock, the distance, and calories burned every forking second.

On the other hand, if you are trying to build some speed looking at the clock may not be so terrible. I'll start at a warm up pace and will then gradually increase my speed every half-mile, mile, 1/4 mile... whatever I feel like. If I am going at a pace I am not used to, I will try running a 1/4 mile and then will decrease the speed for another 1/4... and then repeat it. It makes looking at the clock have a purpose at least.

Your from minneapolis though, we should go do some yoga on a non-running day (and then maybe refuel by stopping at the hard times)!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:09 pm 

thedreamofhorses wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

Maybe you are going too fast? I notice I tend to run faster on a treadmill since I have to go at the pace I set the machine at, not the pace that my body wills itself to go. If it's not a comfortable pace I end up looking at the clock, the distance, and calories burned every forking second.

On the other hand, if you are trying to build some speed looking at the clock may not be so terrible. I'll start at a warm up pace and will then gradually increase my speed every half-mile, mile, 1/4 mile... whatever I feel like. If I am going at a pace I am not used to, I will try running a 1/4 mile and then will decrease the speed for another 1/4... and then repeat it. It makes looking at the clock have a purpose at least.

Your from minneapolis though, we should go do some yoga on a non-running day (and then maybe refuel by stopping at the hard times)!

YES. You seen my blog/heard about Donut Cooperative/are on Facebook? Affiliated with ARC/Ethique Nouveau or CAA? I might be following your blog already if you have one. You friends with a girl named Ryan? Seeing as Hard Times has the best biscuits and gravy ever and decent coffee, count me in. I live in NE. Anytime you want to meet up and do anything, let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:44 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

sarahnorine wrote:

I also hate running on a treadmill but it can become necessary at some point. I like to take a towel and cover the clock/speed/stats so that I can't focus on my mileage the entire time. If there is a treadmill at the gym with a tv available, I will turn that on and watch something mindless. I generally just watch the tv and listen to music on my ipod so that I'm distracted.

When I start to feel tired, or a show is ending, I look at the time to see how I'm doing. Usually I'm close to finishing my run (and a lot further than I expected!) and I can knock out the last bit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Podcasts are my go-to for treadmill running, especially funny ones. "Jordan, Jesse Go!" is my #1 favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:24 pm 
Inflexitarian

This is me...jealous of all of you. I hope to be a real runner some day *sigh*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:52 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Quote:

I don't know if NYC qualifies as frozen tundra, but right now it sure as hell feels like it. Today was 22 degrees (real feel 5 ) so this might be way wimpy compared to your hard-core 10 degree run.

I'd love to hear what other people have to say about winter running.

I find keeping my body warm is less of a problem than dealing with exposed skin on my face. I run in a thin wool baselayer hoodie (hood fits real tight) with a windbreaker on top, thermal tights and wool socks (love smartwool) gloves on me hands of course. (ETA: hope wool is ok on a vegan forum?) Today that kept me super toasty despite bitter NYC winds.

I am definitely investing in a mouth-covering balaclava this year though, as I plan to run ALL through the winter.

Last year I bought myself a pair of Yaktrax, which weren't ideal, but at least made it possible to run on snow without falling on my asparagus. I hear good things about Polar Cleats, though I haven't tried them myself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:33 pm 

monkeygirl wrote:
Quote:

I don't know if NYC qualifies as frozen tundra, but right now it sure as hell feels like it. Today was 22 degrees (real feel 5 ) so this might be way wimpy compared to your hard-core 10 degree run.

I find keeping my body warm is less of a problem than dealing with exposed skin on my face. I run in a thin wool baselayer hoodie (hood fits real tight) with a windbreaker on top, thermal tights and wool socks (love smartwool) gloves on me hands of course. (ETA: hope wool is ok on a vegan forum?) Today that kept me super toasty despite bitter NYC winds.

I am definitely investing in a mouth-covering balaclava this year though, as I plan to run ALL through the winter.

Last year I bought myself a pair of Yaktrax, which weren't ideal, but at least made it possible to run on snow without falling on my asparagus. I hear good things about Polar Cleats, though I haven't tried them myself.

You definitely have to use your own judgment of the way your body reacts to running in the cold as well! I got sick after almost every run outside since it got chilly here. It's also very hard for me because the day is so short here. I wake up for work before the sun comes out and comes home right when the sun is setting. Plus, running in the dark in Minneapolis is kind of scary. :( So I'm sticking to just the gym now. I'll start up again outside hopefully once the weather is mostly above 30 degrees and the days start getting longer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:49 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

sarahnorine wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:
Quote:

You definitely have to use your own judgment of the way your body reacts to running in the cold as well! I got sick after almost every run outside since it got chilly here. It's also very hard for me because the day is so short here. I wake up for work before the sun comes out and comes home right when the sun is setting. Plus, running in the dark in Minneapolis is kind of scary. :( So I'm sticking to just the gym now. I'll start up again outside hopefully once the weather is mostly above 30 degrees and the days start getting longer.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that everyone should do it. NYC is a lot warmer than some places. Everyone's body is different. For me personally, I feel like it's really important to cover ears and throat, or I tend to feel it in those areas the next day. Also, to stay as covered as possible with minimal exposed skin. I'm not a huge gearhead, in the summer I run in tights and wife beaters, but I find getting good technical fabrics (windproof jacket, wicking baselayers) really is of an essence in the winter. I love wool since it stays warm even when it's wet. I love the way it feels against my skin too, but I know some people feel it's itchy.
Also, here in NYC, no matter how late at night the streets never get completely dark due to all the lighting everywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:07 pm 

monkeygirl wrote:
Also, here in NYC, no matter how late at night the streets never get completely dark due to all the lighting everywhere.

Lucky. :( Minneapolis could get pretty dangerous at night where I live. If I ran in the middle of the city, it might not be so bad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:32 am 
No gift receipt, guess you're stuck with it.

I've been running for ages, but a couple months ago during a deployment, I was stricken with runners' knee for the first time. I think it was in late July or early August, and I'm still recovering. Just a warning for those of you who might have it, stop running ASAP so you're not out of your favorite activity for even longer!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm a treadmill hater too but it gets dark so early now and I'm home at my parents house where there aren't many good places to run so I'm giving in to the treadmill. Tonight I had a nice 2 mile run while I watched Sarah Palin's Alaska and laughed to myself.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:22 pm 
Kale Wreath

I've been too sporadic and not regular enough these past couple of months, but I'm going to sign up for another half-marathon in February and get to it for serious again. Woo!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:08 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I had a great running weekend. I also had a great eating and drinking weekend - brownies, mulled wine, indian chickpea stew, homemade bread, etc. etc. It's about balance, right? I even got around to entering my training schedule into my calendar for the half marathon on April 30.

I did 5.5 miles on Friday and 4.5 miles on Sunday. The shoulders of roads are somewhat snowpacked/ice covered and sidewalks are hit and miss. Screw shoes are awesome!

Has anyone else noticed more knee pain when running on snow/slush/uneven terrain? I thought it could be because there seems to be more twisting and odd movement happening, not to mention bounding through drifts and dodging plow piles. I'm not a trail runner so I don't know the difference. I think I need to strengthen the muscles around my knees anyway.

"It's like instead of meat I'm ingesting pure optimism!" - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:50 pm 
Saggy Butt

How many days a week do you guys run or would you ideally? I always feel weird/guilty taking days off but I know you're supposed to. I guess I run probably 4-5 days and do elliptical at the gym another 1-2 days.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:14 pm 
Kale Wreath

My ideal is 5 days a week, but it doesn't usually happen.

Those of you who live in windy cities and run, how do you deal with it? I'm visiting my parents in Halifax right now and staying for another week. I've been taking a break since I caught a cold and was mega jetlagged, but today I tried to do a 9-10k run. The first half was fine but in the second half the wind was against me and it was awful and I had to take some walking breaks :(

I'm really not used to the wind. Do you shorten the distance because of the added wind resistance? How is the best way to dress? Next time I'll definitely wear a hat (too bad I didn't bring my balaclava on my visit). Any suggestions would be great!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:43 am 
WELFARIST!

Nora wrote:
How many days a week do you guys run or would you ideally? I always feel weird/guilty taking days off but I know you're supposed to. I guess I run probably 4-5 days and do elliptical at the gym another 1-2 days.

I try and do three days a week (basically, every other day).

Sis and I were going to go running together today once I got over there but she called me to tell me it's too cold and the windchill is too much. Gah, I've been massively busy with work all last work and had no time to run so I hope to go tomorrow because I'm starting to feel out of shape having not run for more than a week now. I really wanted to go today with sis but when it's too cold...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 127  Next