| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:33 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Hell yeah! I totally got an iPod Suffle from my parents for xmas. No more running with huge iPod in hand. Yussssss

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:42 am 
WELFARIST!

My sister bought me a gorgeous new complete running outfit for Christmas (fitted black running pants, snazzy, vividly colored long-sleeved fuschia winter running shirt and support bra). I love it! Once again, the windchill is too much today for running outdoors and I don't want to waste my new couture on the paltry treadmill in my fitness room downstairs, where hardly anyone will see me fashionably striding about in my new garb!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:49 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

sarahnorine wrote:
How the hell do you survive a treadmill run? I'm so impatient with it. Are there any secrets to making a treadmill run less of a chore and more fun (ha)? I do listen to music, but I usually can run about 3-4 miles outside and not even make to 1 mile on the treadmill. Bleh. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah... I'm in St. Paul and feel your pain. Runner's World has a list of treadmill workouts to help keep us all sane in the winter... http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,712 ... -0,00.html

Mostly, it's a lot of intervals and "hills", but it'll get you through.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:03 pm 

GuineaPig wrote:
This is me...jealous of all of you. I hope to be a real runner some day *sigh*

I just started running about two years ago now and have done two marathons and two halves. There were a couple of books that were really helpful to me... "Running for Mortals" and "Marathoning for Mortals," by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield. They're for "adult-onset runners" (like me), and especially for the middle and back of the pack folks who are interested in pushing themselves (even if that's by just STARTING to run!) but not pushing so hard you hate running and never want to do it again. The books go through pretty much everything - nutrition, what to wear, different kinds of training, strengthening - and include training plans for everything from learning to run/5k to advanced runners.

Don't be afraid to run intervals (say, run 30 seconds and walk for 2 min) and increase your running time 15 seconds each week. I've run all my races in intervals (10 min running/2 min walking for my first marathon, and 3 min running/1 min walking for my second marathon, where I actually made better time!). It's easier physically and mentally, it breaks up the time and distance a bit. And don't buy into that crepe that you have to run faster than a certain speed to be a runner.

All to say... you can totally do it. Volunteer at a race sometime (www.active.com maintains a pretty good list of events) and you'll see folks of every skill level running. Some will break land speed records, but most of us won't, and that's ok too : )

Like John Bingham says - "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." You can totally do it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:35 pm 

I just started the C25K program yesterday... for the third time in my life.
About 10 years ago I did that program and worked up to a 10K and ran regularly for about a year. I felt great, had never been in better shape. But somehow let it go. Then I tried to start up again about a year ago but was having a lot of trouble with knee pain. I was about 20 lbs heavier than the first time around, and had a baby which may have affected my joints.
So, here I am again, all baby weight is gone, leg muscles strengthened from a weight training plan and yoga and I'm hoping to finally be the runner I (literally) dream of being.
The first day went well, it felt really good. No knee pain, slight muscles soreness.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:41 pm 

kasiakoz wrote:
I just started the C25K program yesterday... for the third time in my life.
About 10 years ago I did that program and worked up to a 10K and ran regularly for about a year. I felt great, had never been in better shape. But somehow let it go. Then I tried to start up again about a year ago but was having a lot of trouble with knee pain. I was about 20 lbs heavier than the first time around, and had a baby which may have affected my joints.
So, here I am again, all baby weight is gone, leg muscles strengthened from a weight training plan and yoga and I'm hoping to finally be the runner I (literally) dream of being.
The first day went well, it felt really good. No knee pain, slight muscles soreness.

Nice job! And it sounds like you're really well-prepared, with the weight training and yoga. I always find the hardest thing to get past are my own expectations, especially when I'm getting back into a plan (like now ; ) ). I just try to remember how awesome it is that I'm doing this at all...!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:51 pm 
Kale Wreath

dandykins wrote:
GuineaPig wrote:

I just started running about two years ago now and have done two marathons and two halves. There were a couple of books that were really helpful to me... "Running for Mortals" and "Marathoning for Mortals," by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield. They're for "adult-onset runners" (like me), and especially for the middle and back of the pack folks who are interested in pushing themselves (even if that's by just STARTING to run!) but not pushing so hard you hate running and never want to do it again. The books go through pretty much everything - nutrition, what to wear, different kinds of training, strengthening - and include training plans for everything from learning to run/5k to advanced runners.

Don't be afraid to run intervals (say, run 30 seconds and walk for 2 min) and increase your running time 15 seconds each week. I've run all my races in intervals (10 min running/2 min walking for my first marathon, and 3 min running/1 min walking for my second marathon, where I actually made better time!). It's easier physically and mentally, it breaks up the time and distance a bit. And don't buy into that crepe that you have to run faster than a certain speed to be a runner.

All to say... you can totally do it. Volunteer at a race sometime (http://www.active.com maintains a pretty good list of events) and you'll see folks of every skill level running. Some will break land speed records, but most of us won't, and that's ok too : )

Like John Bingham says - "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." You can totally do it!

That is totally inspiring.

In an effort to keep myself motivated in training for the half-marathon in February, I've just joined mapmyrun. I'm pistachiorose, if anyone is on it :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:58 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

dandykins wrote:
GuineaPig wrote:

I just started running about two years ago

This. I did not grow up running, or even liking it very much. Then a few years ago I just started running for exercise (slowly, and short distances at first) and found I liked it. I got kinda hooked and incrementally started running further and further. Baby steps. If I can do it, anyone can, really.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:16 pm 

pistachiorose wrote:
In an effort to keep myself motivated in training for the half-marathon in February, I've just joined mapmyrun. I'm pistachiorose, if anyone is on it :)

That's awesome, pistachiorose! Congratulations! Actually, WAY more kudos to you. I had the benefit of being part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training program when I trained for my marathons (which I highly recommend for anyone interested in running a marathon, half marathon, or tri and have never done so - over 80% of their participants have never competed in an endurance event and it's a fantastic program with coaches, mentors and professional staff, and of course you do it for a fantastic cause.) I can't imagine training by myself - that's awesome! You'll do GREAT!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:07 pm 

Day 2 of my first week of C25k. Felt good but a bit harder than the first day. It feels like it is going to be so long until I am back where I used to be :( Oh well, baby steps are better than nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Apparently the RunKeeper Pro iPhone app is free until the end of January, for anyone who uses apps for tracking. I usually use iMapMyRun, but I'm going to give this a try today.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:10 am 
Kale Wreath

I'm so bummed out guys. I was all set to go into more serious/regular training, and then I came down with a stupid stomach flu the day after my rest day so I haven't been able to run for 5 days :(. I'm feeling mostly functional now, but still a little weak and I have no appetite and still get tiny waves of sickness, so I don't think I'm ready to run today, either. But I really want to!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:18 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I am so envious of all of you who run in winter. I run ok in summer, but as soon as it gets dark and cold and rainy, I lose motivation and stop, so every year it's tragic to re-start.
What can I do?? It doesn't help that my favourite running route is not lighted, so after work running sucks after October. And I hate gyms.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:51 pm 

Finished up week 1 of C25k today and it felt great! I even kicked the speed up just a tiny bit and found I could still talk without gasping. Funny how accomplished you can feel for just running a few minutes.
I've been running on a treadmill at the Y since it is yucky here in MI, but the weather today and tomorrow is in the 40's so I kind of want to try some outdoor running tomorrow, but probably shouldn't push myself two days in a row :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:22 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Anek wrote:
It doesn't help that my favourite running route is not lighted, so after work running sucks after October. And I hate gyms.

Do you have an indoor track that you can go to? It's not a treadmill, though it's not as interesting as outdoors, but it might do during the dark months?

pistachiorose wrote:
I'm so bummed out guys. I was all set to go into more serious/regular training, and then I came down with a stupid stomach flu the day after my rest day so I haven't been able to run for 5 days.

How are you feeling now? Have you been able to get out?

I'm kind of fixated on running right now, and have gone out 5 times in the past week. I'm taking it slowly when I go out - verrry slowly - and I'm hoping to keep up this momentum, which is going to be hard because my natural instinct is to sit and couch, but I'm going to sign up for a 10k in April so I have an actual goal!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:18 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

No indoor track either (we're not so advanced here in good old Europe! J/K) but I took advantage of being on holiday and went running yesterday and today at midday, with sunshine. Man, it was hard. My leg muscles are frozen after 3 minutes outside (-3 C today, that's about 26 F), but still, I did it! Now I have to go post on the "I'm sore" thread though...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:10 am 

I just finished reading Running for Mortals and really enjoyed it. My husband and I did the strength routine in it last night and it made me feel all noodley.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:58 pm 

I am thinking of running in one of the Pittsburgh Marathon races. I need something big to kick my butt and this sort of fell in to my lap. I can walk forever but I can run about 45 feet so I may register as a walker. I'll have 7 hours to finish.
I am going to the training kick off Saturday-I work every Saturday and I just happen to be off this one so I am taking it as a sign.
I guess I'm going to a real running store tomorrow to get shoes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

I think I'm going to register for a 10k trail run in April as my first 10k. And it's 50 mi/50k/15k/10k so that will be good inspiration for me. I just need to find time and motivation for longer runs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:32 pm 

I just finished week two of C25k and feel really great so far! Looking at a local race for the beginning of June!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:27 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Seriously, at what point will my I stop feeling my asparagus jiggle like a fat dutch kid grooving to techno while I run?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:15 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Uh, Mishka, I don't know. Sorry for laughing but that's an hilarious way to phrase what may be a serious question. I would guess that if you keep running, even if you don't lose weight, your bum will firm up so it doesn't jiggle as much.

Even when I was 20 pounds heavier I didn't have much of a backside.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I read that description recently on a Facebook group :P

The question wasn't entirely serious - I'd just really noticed yesterday as I was running that my butt shakes a lot. A lot. And I'm using that as my gauge for how my body is toning from running :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:03 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

So after being a running purist for years, I'm getting onto the Galloway train. Not like I read the books or anything. Basically you're doing easy intervals for the length of your run with the idea that you will be able to run longer and recover faster. So far the longest "Galloway" run I've done is 6 miles. Yesterday I ran a 4-mile run-jog/walk and actually averaged my normal running pace without feeling exhausted at the end.

My big toe nail is black and blue from a 10 mile run two weeks ago. I'm kind of hoping that's going to go away real soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:16 am 
WRETCHED

I want to start running again, want to do a couple races this year. I'm a total fair weather runner though. This stuff outside now? no. Also, treadmills bore me to death and we don't have one and I don't belong to a gym with a treadmill.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 135  Next