| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:00 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Sun of Samsa wrote:

My big toe nail is black and blue from a 10 mile run two weeks ago. I'm kind of hoping that's going to go away real soon.

It will probably fall off! Get ready for that, one of the most exciting parts about running.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

I have strep throat so I probably shouldn't run but I really want to! I wish I had asked my doctor but I feel like the answer would have been "no! stay home and sleep" so I guess that's what I'll do for the rest of the week.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You know when you go out for a run, and halfway through you get period cramps and the need to period poop? And have to quickly but gingerly walk all the way home? Yeah. I hate that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:49 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Running on your period is the worst thing for me. Problem is, whenever I have my period I am overcome with a STRONG desire to run. So I always run for about 10 minutes and then gingerly crawl back to my apartment.

But I want to join this thread because I have been doing a 5k every week! It's not that much because of schoolwork and upcoming exams, but I figured it's better than nothing. It makes me so happy every time I do it. And in about two weeks, I will be doing this three times a week and I can't wait. Running clears my head better than anything else.

A question, though: how do you all deal with big-toe pain? Maybe my sneakers are too tight, I don't know, but my big toes remain ouchy for a long time after I run and I don't think getting a bigger shoe size will help because then the shoes will be too loose. Hints?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Try thinner socks. I bought some new socks one time that seemed like a normal thickness and they KILLED my big toe.

It might be worth trying on shoes a half-size up, too, just to see if they would work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:13 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

catfish wrote:
Running on your period is the worst thing for me. Problem is, whenever I have my period I am overcome with a STRONG desire to run. So I always run for about 10 minutes and then gingerly crawl back to my apartment.

But I want to join this thread because I have been doing a 5k every week! It's not that much because of schoolwork and upcoming exams, but I figured it's better than nothing. It makes me so happy every time I do it. And in about two weeks, I will be doing this three times a week and I can't wait. Running clears my head better than anything else.

A question, though: how do you all deal with big-toe pain? Maybe my sneakers are too tight, I don't know, but my big toes remain ouchy for a long time after I run and I don't think getting a bigger shoe size will help because then the shoes will be too loose. Hints?

You might need a different type of shoe, one that has a bigger toe box.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

I really want to start running but every time I do my knee starts hurting, and I don't have insurance right now. Someone I know suggested I was running wrong, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

catfish wrote:
But I want to join this thread because I have been doing a 5k every week!

WHOA! That's a lot in my world! Great work!

catfish wrote:

I found that sometimes I lace my shoes too tightly and your feet spread out a bit after you've run awhile (pretty hot), so my toe box was too narrow and squishing my toe. A chiro once showed me a trick that I've used ever since - basically, loosen the laces at the bottom of the shoe, then, when you get to that loop on the tongue of your shoe, tie the laces in a knot on the loop. Then you can tie the remaining 3-4 holes at the top of the shoe more tightly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:36 am 

You know, now that I think about it, I might need a bigger toe box. I wear really thin socks and make sure to not lace up too tightly, or re-lace, depending. Thanks for all your suggestions- I had no idea different shoes had different sized toe areas. I'm due for some new running shoes and I'll bring that up!

And dandykins, I know, 5k is a lot, but I used to do that about 3 times a week before having to cut down due to school-related work. I'm really itching to get back to running way more!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:29 pm 

So I went to two sports stores and checked out some running shoes. There are so many options! At both places, I was told to walk around and try on some shoes and even hop onto a treadmill so that they could check out how I run. It was pretty cool. Now I have to decide whether to spend 100 euros on some really awesome and light Nikes or 62 euros for pretty decent Adidas shoes. Both fit comfortably. How long should one keep running shoes? Until they get worn out, or is there a certain amount of activity they can take and then they get bad for your feet? If I can keep them for a while, I might splurge and buy the expensive ones.

Also, neat fact that I learned today: I've been wearing a size and a half too small. That's why my feets hurt!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:06 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

catfish wrote:
How long should one keep running shoes? Until they get worn out, or is there a certain amount of activity they can take and then they get bad for your feet? If I can keep them for a while, I might splurge and buy the expensive ones.

It depends on how much you run and on the shoes.
About once a year or every 500 miles, whatever comes first, is a rule of thumb that's often given.
You shouldn't use them for running for much longer than a year in any case, because even without heavy use they lose their cushioning properties over time.
If your run 400-500 miles in a pair of shoes you'll likely notice that they're losing their cushioning.
For example, I recently wore out a pair of running shoes and I could tell, because suddenly I was getting aches and pains in my legs and feet. (I run on the streets, asphalt and concrete, here in NYC). I went to the store and tried on a new pair of the same shoe and could immediately tell my old ones were worn out.
I bought a new pair and when I got home I tried on one new shoe on one foot, and an old one on the other, just as an experiment. It was like my legs were different lengths. No joke.

So the short answer is: running shoes don't keep for very long.

ETA: But if the expensive, light pair of shoes will make it more fun for you to run it may be worth it. Just a thought...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:52 am 

I think you're right- running is so important to me for so many different reasons, I should go for the more expensive ones because they would definitely make running a bit better :) In the end, those extra 40euros won't kill me- I just have to save up for a bit longer. And thank you so much for your detailed response. There is so much about running I don't know.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Nevermind...there is a "How to Start Running" thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

My plan was to run a 10k in april and half marathon later on but that doesn't sound so challenging anymore. There's a half on April 16 which is exactly 12 weeks (the length of Hal Higdon's training plan) away. Has anyone tried this plan? I'm a little worried by the one mile a week increase because it seems like a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:35 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

molly wrote:
Try thinner socks. I bought some new socks one time that seemed like a normal thickness and they KILLED my big toe.

It might be worth trying on shoes a half-size up, too, just to see if they would work.

I always buy 1/2 size larger running shoes.
anyone else getting tired of running in winter yet. I'm not coping with winter running very well this year. I did buy a treadmill in early december and am surprised at how much I've been using it and enjoying it. I thought I'd just use it for super cold days, like -20 and colder, but I use it for 90% of my runs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The thing I like best about the treadmill is that it gives me a great excuse to watch crappy TV. Yesterday I discovered The X Life on VH-1.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:50 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

molly wrote:
The thing I like best about the treadmill is that it gives me a great excuse to watch crappy TV. Yesterday I discovered The X Life on VH-1.

so true. I watch things that I'm embarrassed to tell anyone....mostly crappy "entertainment" type tv. but yesterday I watched a tennis match from Australian open and that was kind of inspiring to keep running while players were hitting the tennis ball.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

kecapcrazy wrote:
molly wrote:

anyone else getting tired of running in winter yet. I'm not coping with winter running very well this year. I did buy a treadmill in early december and am surprised at how much I've been using it and enjoying it. I thought I'd just use it for super cold days, like -20 and colder, but I use it for 90% of my runs.

I'm loving running in winter! But I live in Texas so I've only had a few runs below freezing and many have been in the 50s and 60s. What I'm dreading is March when it starts getting hot!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:17 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Nora wrote:
kecapcrazy wrote:
molly wrote:

I'm loving running in winter! But I live in Texas so I've only had a few runs below freezing and many have been in the 50s and 60s. What I'm dreading is March when it starts getting hot!

too funny!!! I don't have that problem in Northern Alberta! and there are very, very, very few days where it feels too hot to run even in the dead of summer. I supposed one problem is not much different from the other--only in terms of extremes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 am 
Saggy Butt

KarmaLily wrote:
I really want to start running but every time I do my knee starts hurting, and I don't have insurance right now. Someone I know suggested I was running wrong, but I'm not sure.

i am not a doctor.
but what really helped me run without knee pain was building up my quad strength. squats, lunges, etc. and really foam rolling the shiitake out of my IT band. i had been to the doctor several times and they could never tell me what was wrong. i have an HMO so i was having to try a few things before they would do an MRI and i finally said fork it and tried some things myself. i tried a few different types of braces and sleeves, but none of them really did anything except make my knee sweaty. i also tried taping it with only marginally better results. the quads and foam rolling are what finally worked for me, and i dont have any problems now on runs up to about 3 miles which is about as far as i run right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:03 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Just updating - finished week 4 of C25k and it's going well. So far it's been mostly treadmill since I just can't make myself go out in the 10 degree weather. Bleh.
KarmaLily - Yes, strengthen your quads! i tried starting to run a year ago and had horrible knee pain but this time around a spent about a month doing leg strengthening before I even started and so far so good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Hey runners, are these ridiculous or awesome? I'm kind of intrigued.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

there's a guy in my town i see running around with those tarahumara sandals. it looks kind of ridiculous....i dont know, when i read born to run i was absolutely convinced that barefoot running (minimal shoes like vibrams, etc.) was the way to go for sure. i was dealing with a foot injury at the time (capsulitis) and was convinced that when i started running again it would be some form of barefoot. but then i started working out in other ways so i never got into it like i was planning to. if i start having either knee or foot problems again im going to try it for sure. but i cant wear vibrams because my second toe is freakishly longer than my big toe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:26 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I've upped my running from 15 miles to 20 miles a week! Yay! Great!!! 2011 resolutions in action!
However, as a result I've been sooooooo much more hungryyyy - unproportionately so.

I'm aware that I might be not hydrating properly, but in general I was hoping to see what foods after runs make people feel full and replenished. I'm also thinking my body might be craving something that I'm just not giving it, so then I end up over eating. My goal is to run a marathon in 2012... so I have a lot of training to do and I don't want to gain weight and make it harder to run longer distances.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:46 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I still don't feel quite worthy to post in this thread, but I did my version of running in a 10K this weekend. It took me an hour and fifteen minutes, which I am okay with since I am barely a jogger. My next attempt will be in April so I should do much better with more time to prepare (and I can hopefully debut my awesome running shorts too).

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 134  Next