| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:54 pm 
Inflexitarian

I decided I wanted to try running, so I did 2k for the first time ever last Tuesday; turns out that was overdoing it and I was ridiculously sore all week. I swore to not overdo it ever again.

So, sensibly, today I completely ignored that and did 5k for shiitakes and giggles. It was fun. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:14 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Tea, you should try run-walking! That way you can get a whole work out in and not hurt yourself.
I got a free trial membership at the gym near my house and went for the first time today. I have a pretty reasonable fear of falling off of treadmills but I think I got the hang of it. Also, I'm going to try and break 30 minutes at the 5k I'm doing in a few weeks. According to my recent tempo runs I should be able to do it no problem, but we'll see...

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:07 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

A wonderful run last night, it was sunny and cool with a bit of wind. I did 4 laps instead of the usual 3, which means about 10 km, and it took me 58 minutes, yay! Considering last time I did 10 km (in december) it took me 1 hour and 13 minutes, it's a great improvement!

Onward!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:51 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Such a gorgeous morning on my 6-miler today. Ran under the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, and the East River was crashing against the rocks by my path. It's going to be an awesome day.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:32 am 

I just signed up for a 10-mile race at Rockaway Beach. Somebody stop me!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:45 pm 
Chip Strong

Another 5km & about 1/2 hour of swim drills.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:34 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

18 miler this AM - my longest run EVER! Keep up all of the great runs people!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:45 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Go lobsteriffic!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:46 pm 
Inflexitarian

Jogged 6k without stopping! Took about 40 minutes, so I'm still getting passed by just about everybody else on the track, but whatever.

Apparently endurance sports induce hunger, so now I am eating a mango! Mmmm.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:42 pm 

Short run today, but faster than average. Disappointed but not too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:08 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

You guys, I just made an unplanned shoe purchase that I'd like to ramble about!

So, I've been running in Newtons since last September, and they've been really good to me. Recently, however, my outer toes on both feet have started to hurt pretty badly during longer runs, and my ankle has been sore lately, too. I have some minor form issues that I'm working on (mild supination), so I had been attributing all of my discomfort to that, and not the possibility that my shoes might need replacing. I had never even considered that I might have worn through a pair of shoes, as I've only really been distance running for a year or so, and I've never had to replace a pair of shoes because of wear. Then, today I went to REI just to try on, but not purchase, some styles from the Brooks Pure series, as well as the Merrell Pace Gloves. The moment I switched from the Newtons to the others my toe pain completely disappeared! After running around the store for awhile I bought the Brooks PureFlows.

Then, I came home and looked up some online discussions on Newton longevity, and found quite a few photos of Newtons that people had retired due to wear. Mine look about twice as bad as those. The toes are completely worn down, and the fronts of the lugs are likewise pretty rough. I did a rough calculation of my mileage since buying them, and they're pushing 500 miles, if not more. I'm in Boulder, so all of my runs are quite hilly, and I train almost entirely on concrete. No wonder my toes have been hurting!

Anyway, I'm probably way too excited to have destroyed my first pair of shoes, but I had to post. I hope these new ones are good-- the Newtons run about $180, which is way too much money for me to spend every 6-7 months. The PureFlows were half that, and I'm an REI member so I always have some rebate money lying around.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:40 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

lobsteriffic wrote:
18 miler this AM - my longest run EVER! Keep up all of the great runs people!

That's awesome!!! Congratulations!

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:07 pm 

Ran a 10K in Central Park this AM. Totally killed it in 1:02:46 (10:07 mile). It was pretty humid, but overall I felt awesome! And I got a huge medal.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:03 pm 
Inflexitarian

alice1drland wrote:
Ran a 10K in Central Park this AM. Totally killed it in 1:02:46 (10:07 mile). It was pretty humid, but overall I felt awesome! And I got a huge medal.

Sweet!

I ran 6k again; shaved a couple of minutes off my time, which I guess is pretty negligible.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:28 pm 
Dead by dawn

Tea wrote:
alice1drland wrote:

Sweet!

I ran 6k again; shaved a couple of minutes off my time, which I guess is pretty negligible.

A couple of minutes is not negligible off 6k! I am trying to figure out how to shave 3:40 off my half marathon so I can come in sub-2 hours... and it's a huge difference in pace!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:19 pm 

I wish some of you guys were around to be my running buddy for my impending long runs! When I first trained for a marathon (2004), I had my mom to keep me company. I'm considering joining a local running club, but I'm usually the slowest in the pack and worry about injuring myself by trying to maintain a pace that's too fast for me. That's what happened when I attempted to train for the LA marathon and ended up getting coxa saltans (hip snapping syndrome). Bleh. I know I can do this, but sometimes it's better with a friend. A slow friend. Hah!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:24 pm 

Nice run on saturday, nice run today. Exact same course, 15 seconds faster today. Way to go!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:04 pm 
Dead by dawn

alice1drland wrote:
I wish some of you guys were around to be my running buddy for my impending long runs! When I first trained for a marathon (2004), I had my mom to keep me company. I'm considering joining a local running club, but I'm usually the slowest in the pack and worry about injuring myself by trying to maintain a pace that's too fast for me. That's what happened when I attempted to train for the LA marathon and ended up getting coxa saltans (hip snapping syndrome). Bleh. I know I can do this, but sometimes it's better with a friend. A slow friend. Hah!

Hey, are you calling the PPK slow?! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:08 pm 
Inflexitarian

Was still a bit sore but decided to run anyway; only managed to do 5k in 33 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
alice1drland wrote:

Hey, are you calling the PPK slow?! :D

Psh, always. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:36 pm 
Chip Strong

Killer track workout today. We did a lactic acid buildup workout which is always "fun". Feel the burn, baby!

After some extended coordination and neural drills, we did 13 mins of fartleks with 60% effort "easy" and 85-90% effort "hard". After a 3 min break (yeesh, thanks!) we then did a 2 mile progression run where you start out at 75% effort and increase your speed every 200-400m. We were told to cross the finish line feeling like we could not have gone a step faster/farther.

Whew!

I'm gonna sleep well tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:29 am 
Dead by dawn

Oh man, studio. Reading that makes me glad it's race week for me because at least I know whatever's in store for me at track tomorrow, it won't be that!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:32 am 
Chip Strong

Yeah, its killer. By the time you start the progression run, your legs are already fatigued. Its really great for mental training, though because its requires a LOT of gritting it out when you really want to quit.

Have a great taper this week! Rest up and break a lace! (Your race is this weekend, no? Your half ironman?)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:15 am 

So not jealous of you, studio. I'd probably vomit. I'd like someone to coach me with speedwork one day, but not while I'm in the midst of training for my 2nd marathon in nearly 10 years. One day! Just focused on staying injury-free at the moment.

6 miler this morning - I think my allergies are forking with me. Weirdly sore throat. Ugh! I guess I'll go to bed really early tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:25 am 
Dead by dawn

studio wrote:
Yeah, its killer. By the time you start the progression run, your legs are already fatigued. Its really great for mental training, though because its requires a LOT of gritting it out when you really want to quit.

Have a great taper this week! Rest up and break a lace! (Your race is this weekend, no? Your half ironman?)

Olympic this weekend. Half-iron is still 39 days out (and man do I need those 39 days!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 131  Next