| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 127  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:57 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Thanks friend!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:35 pm 
Dead by dawn

Awesome, lk!

Go team "sub-2"! That's also my goal, hopefully this year. I'm doing the lululemon half in Vancouver in August, so maybe then...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:04 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Well done lk!! Sub-2 in 2013!

I'm loving everyone's updates. I did my first long run in a while - 5 miles using run/walk intervals. I haven't run since last October... and not consistently since last March.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:39 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

pannkakan wrote:
Love Child wrote:
pannkakan wrote:
I'm having a hard time getting into a running routine. I go to a gym a couple of times a weeks on various classes and weight lifting, and I don't want to give that up to much, however, I want to run as well. Let's see how it will go! I do like running but never seem to get into the groove.

I was out running yesterday, below freezing as always but the sun was shining so it was really lovely. I ran 4 K. First downhill, then uphill. 30 minutes, felt like I was crawling uphill. I plan on running a 10 K in late summer here in town.

Where do you run? I'm just asking because if I'm not mistaken you live in Örebro too, right? Where do you find hills around here? Where I live it's just flat all around.

Brickebacken!

Uh, too far away!

Yesterday I did a 30 minute interval run on the treadmill, where I turned up the speed every five minutes. I think I underestimated myself because I could have gone on and on after those 30 minutes were done. Still felt really good afterwards though!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been absent from this thread since I quit running when it got cold outside. Kudos to everyone that kept running through the winter!

Anyway, we're having some gorgeous weather here this weekend so I went out for my first run in 4 months or so. I managed to do 3 miles, but geez I'm tuckered out! Oh well, I know it will come back eventually.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:13 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm right there with you lobster. I haven't done more than 20 miles total in the last 2 months. The ice just scares me for running. I did a couple of 4 mile runs last weekend but then we got more snow and a fresh layer of ice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

so.. 4 runs into my new training plan, and it's going well so far. I've done 5 runs though, since I headed out for the 4th workout (6 k) one morning but it was to darn cold to do more than 3. So I did the 6 k today and put more clothes on.

And! I bough a 2 great pieces of clothes at the second hand store, they look like they've never been worn before and will get me through the last month of winter. It's a long sleeve shirt and a thin wind jacket.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:25 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Beautiful weather today, ran a fairly fast 10 k. It's so fantastic to run without having to worry about ice anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Just signed up for my first half marathon! I'm super excited. I've never run more than 9.5 miles before (only on my own, a few weeks ago) but need to get my speed up as well as my distance! (If I run with people I run somewhere around 8:30-9 minute miles but on my own, I'm at 11:30 pretty consistently)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:51 pm 

lillianp wrote:
Just signed up for my first half marathon! I'm super excited. I've never run more than 9.5 miles before (only on my own, a few weeks ago) but need to get my speed up as well as my distance! (If I run with people I run somewhere around 8:30-9 minute miles but on my own, I'm at 11:30 pretty consistently)

Good luck with your training. When is the race?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:13 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lillianp wrote:

Hooray and good luck!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:53 pm 

Yay, 4 miles today! And it's snowing!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:26 am 

So I ran 6,5 K today which is a personal record! It's a bummer though, since I think I could've run quite a bit further, if I hadn't had a meeting to attend and didn't have time to try myself out. I'm following runkeepers plan to 10 k in 65 minutes and are in week two. I'm not sure what's happened but all of a sudden (like from one day to another) I've started to feel like it's not my heavy breathing that's holding me back at all, but my muscles, which I feel is easier to push through. Love running!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:13 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

good for you!! those first time numbers are sooooooooo awesome!! i also feel your pain as my gym time is usually limited and i just do what i can, and sometimes i wish i could do more.
(i'm not aiming at a 10k but am using some podcasts for 10k and they're pretty good.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:24 pm 

I usually listen to talking podcasts. Since I don't run fast at the moment I prefer listening to various interesting topics, but soon my training will include fast shorter runs and then I might turn on some Motorhead.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:42 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i am totally the opposite, i can't deal with the talking podcasts! too bad as i have a bajillion i'm subscribed to and waste my running time listening to running (music) podcasts. maybe it's time to try a talkie podcast again.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:32 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am training for a bunch of stuff and entered all the long runs on my calendar, which maybe was a mistake because I go into my calendar for a few weeks from now and see "Run 12 miles," which sounds awful. My first long run was yesterday - 6 miles - which I did with a vegan running group so it was awesome.

I want to listen to talking podcasts but my computer/phone/ipod setup is a bit clunky and I'm too lazy to do it. I can't find a comfortable way to run with my iphone but that's where my podcasts are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:19 am 

Dave the Cat wrote:
I am training for a bunch of stuff and entered all the long runs on my calendar, which maybe was a mistake because I go into my calendar for a few weeks from now and see "Run 12 miles," which sounds awful. My first long run was yesterday - 6 miles - which I did with a vegan running group so it was awesome.

I want to listen to talking podcasts but my computer/phone/ipod setup is a bit clunky and I'm too lazy to do it. I can't find a comfortable way to run with my iphone but that's where my podcasts are.

I'm getting equal parts excited and terrified when I look at the long runs ahead of me in my training plan, so I try to really focus on one run at a time and trust the plan and my legs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:07 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Quote:
I try to really focus on one run at a time and trust the plan and my legs.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm doing too. Also I'm trying to think about how the last time I had to do long runs, by the time the 12-miler came along I was definitely prepared.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:42 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I got lost during my run yesterday. I had planned a new 10 k route but ended up in the woods far from where I was supposed to run. So I had to walk/crawl/slide on my butt/climb through some parts due to ice and snow and fallen trees and whatnot. At least the last few kilometers were asphalt so that I could sprint.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:35 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Chickpea wrote:
lillianp wrote:

Good luck with your training. When is the race?

Sorry, I didn't see this! It is on may 5th. I couldn't do a long run due to travel woes this weekend but intend to make up for it next weekend. Or at least get back in the groove of things!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:22 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Dave the Cat wrote:
I can't find a comfortable way to run with my iphone but that's where my podcasts are.

I cannot run without my "apparatus"- but i got a smaller one than my old iphone-sized ipod so i could stick it inside my bra. i'm planning to upgrade next year and think the only way is to use one of those armband things.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:43 am 

I have one of those armband things that I use at the gym, but now when it's so cold here I use a jacket so I can just put it in the pocket. I used to have my ipod in the bra but I worried about the sweat.

I ran 9 k today!! Definitely a record, and I think I definitely would have manage to do a full 10 k but I was only supposed to run 8 k an the extra was kind of a mistake. I don't want to rush my distance. I'm really proud of myself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:11 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

After being off the forums for a long time because of taking a doctor's advisement that my diet was killing me, I think the NMA crew, Rich Roll and Mike Arnstein have convinced me that yes, I can finish my next ultra on a plant-based diet.

Also I need to get out and run more, because my next 50k is coming up in a few weeks and I'm slogging. I'm doing heart rate training in an aerobic zone which means my pace is somewhere in the 12-13 minute per mile range even for a two mile "run." The idea is I'm supposed to get faster with less effort the more I train in this zone. But I'm from New York, and I don't really know how to do slow, so I'm starting to get bored.

Any success with the Maffetone method?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:26 am 
Dead by dawn

My coach held me to zone 2 (aerobic) for the duration of marathon training (with the exception of hill repeats and speed work, of course.) The idea is that you're training your body to become more efficient at lower heart rates. I started off having to run ~10:30 and it was boring, but it definitely picked up. I panicked a bit when I did a run test and my fitness gains had lowered my threshhold (because now the top of my z2 was 5 beats lower.) I thought... oh, good grief, now I have to slow down again, but that didn't really happen because I wasn't running at the tippy-top of z2 anyway. Anyhoo... over about 4.5 months I gained a good minute on my training pace. It's frustrating, but I think you'll see the payoff (though if you're racing in a few weeks, you might not see much in that short time.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 127  Next