| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:31 pm 
Inflexitarian

My right knee has started hurting while running... But doesn't hurt even a little bit while cycling. Any ideas what might be going on?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:43 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Tea, you may have an issue with your running form. I had IT band issues in one leg for over a year, and it finally went away when 1, I chucked my heavily-supported running shoes to focus on my propioception, then 2, started playing with form drills. I noticed the problem was probably in my form when I saw my footprints--mine was heavily exaggerated, but even subtle abnormalities in gait can cause problems.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i have a cut on my toe, a stupid little cut on my toe, and i can't run or walk without it being excruciating. i'm going to go do elliptical today but god, such ado about something so stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:52 am 
Inflexitarian

Sun of Samsa wrote:
Tea, you may have an issue with your running form. I had IT band issues in one leg for over a year, and it finally went away when 1, I chucked my heavily-supported running shoes to focus on my propioception, then 2, started playing with form drills. I noticed the problem was probably in my form when I saw my footprints--mine was heavily exaggerated, but even subtle abnormalities in gait can cause problems.

I googled IT band issues, and based on where I feel pain, that sounds like it (though I'll probably go to a walk in clinic on Monday, just to be sure it isn't anything else). I could see it being subtle abnormalities; I sprained my ankle and hurt my toe a month or so ago, both on the right side. Both injuries feel better, but given that it's my knee on the exact same side that's bugging me, maybe my gait is still off.

I'm currently training for a cycling event, but had been running as cross training... given that it only hurts while running, maybe I'll switch to something else for cross training. Maybe swimming...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Went for a twelve mile run today! Took 2 hours 15 minutes or so. My half marathon's on May 5th and I'm wondering if shooting for under 2 hours on race day is feasible? I have a 10 mile race next sunday and plan on doing a slow extra 3 miles either before or after and will continue to build distance as well as do faster runs in the middle of the week/cross train/hill run.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ran 4 miles yesterday, head-on into the wind for most of it. Ugh! A huge gust of dust blew directly into my face, too. I felt like I was going sooo slowly and my heart rate didn't seem ideal, but when I got home and plugged in my Garmin, not only was my pace sub-11-min-mile (good for me), but my heart rate was the lowest it's been in about a year. Okay then!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:10 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Running with a sore throat- yay or nay? I don't have a fever and I'm not tired. My pulse is not higher than usual either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:33 am 

I'd say nay, just because you don't want to tempt fate and make it worse. Unless you think it's allergy-related, in which case, you're probably fine. If you're starting to get sick, though, sleep/rest will help stave it off.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:19 pm 

I always go by the general rule that if your symptoms are above the neck (sneezing, cough, sore throat) and still feel up to it, then a easier run should be fine.

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/shou ... age=single

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:54 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I did take a super slow and easy run, and it felt pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:41 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Tea wrote:
My right knee has started hurting while running... But doesn't hurt even a little bit while cycling. Any ideas what might be going on?

My knees hurt while running as well. I bought a really good knee brace, and as long as I wear it every time I run, there is no pain. I think it prevents me from bending my knee in certain ways that are clearly bad for it/ keeps the pressure off of it. It would be nice to be able to get to the bottom of the problem and not have to wear a brace, but I'm fairly certain my doctors would tell me to just stop running.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:42 pm 
Saggy Butt

Is winter ever going to end?!! I am sooo over running in the snow for this year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:03 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

inceptisol wrote:
Is winter ever going to end?!! I am sooo over running in the snow for this year.

No I don't think so! The Easterly winds just won't go away! It is SOOOOOO cold!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:51 am 

I had to take a week off running because I had vertigo symptoms (yuck!) but I am feeling much better, so today I ran 12km in the morning and another 5km later in the evening. It had been a long time since I'd run a double, and it felt great.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:34 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Today's interval run was absolutely amazing/horrible. I did 4x4 min intervals with 2 min walking between.
I gave my everything and towards the end it felt like I was going to fall of the treadmill. I didn't even think I would make it through one minute on the last interval. But I made it through the entire 4 min set. It was the longest 4 minutes of my life.

I feel incredible now though. Runner's highhhhh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:24 am 
Seagull of the PPK

good for you love child!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:33 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Do any of you run with a dog? I just got a new puppy (yay!) (lab mix) and I hope to be able to take her running eventually. I have to talk to the vet about when she'll be old enough, how far, etc., but I'd love to hear from you guys about what it's like to have a doggie running buddy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:36 am 
Seagull of the PPK

when i first started running i did [now i run in a gym]. The whippet was a fantastic running buddy but a dog usually needs a minimum of training to run with you so that he or she knows how to behave and not get you killed. My shepherd-pitty has not quite figured it out yet and he gets too hot so i don't run with him- he's constantly bonking into my legs and knocking me off balance, which the whippet never did.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:44 pm 

I thought I'd come join in this thread since I'm shooting for being able to run a 5k.
I'm not doing the C25K, since for some reason my iPod wont sync it, so instead I've just gone on mapmyrun, and worked out a 5k route from there. I thought I was pretty fit until I decided to start up running. Oh my god, I know I am a beginner but oh is it hard!
I'm able to do 5.5k in about 32-34 minutes with some small intervals of walking in between. The lung burn- arrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Huge respect to all of you, I've scrolled through this thread and seen the distances you all cover, and wow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:37 pm 

I have a shin splint. Ugh. Sleeping with foot elevated tonight and yoga tomorrow. Stadium climbing wednesday-here's to it getting not-worse by then!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:39 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

oh my god. i had shin splints for one agonizing spring in high school and i can still remember that pain. i know for me strong arch supports and taping helped [i was playing lacrosse that year and had to play/run anyway].

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:46 pm 

I think it's my shoes. I might have to run the half marathon in them because my regular running shoes cut out on me about a month and a half too early. (I'm getting FREE shoes from New Balance but I have to wait until the November Project can tally up attendance.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:50 am 

Welcome, VanillaDoe! It definitely gets better. I remember when I was starting out, I'd push myself to keep running until the tree, the next block, etc., and now it's rare that I run less than 4 miles when I go.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:43 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've been finding it really hard to get motivated to exercise recently. I've been managing to push myself to do 20 or 30 minute runs but it has been really hard work. Today I procrastinated all day putting off going out for a run off at every opportunity. I even watched the Auckland triathlon to try & help get me into my kit. Finally got out & ran for an hour. Felt good but I now have sore feet & blisters...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:06 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Chickpea wrote:
I've been finding it really hard to get motivated to exercise recently. I've been managing to push myself to do 20 or 30 minute runs but it has been really hard work. Today I procrastinated all day putting off going out for a run off at every opportunity. I even watched the Auckland triathlon to try & help get me into my kit. Finally got out & ran for an hour. Felt good but I now have sore feet & blisters...

I get motivated when I read blogs about running. Any recommendations?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 137  Next