| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:26 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yay everyone!!!!
i am still running, or rather getting back as i was too busy for a bit there. i have access to a nice track and have been doing little bits of sprint workouts now and again and it's lots of fun. i even got the kid running last night.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:58 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Dave the Cat wrote:
Yay, Alice! Summer races totally suck. I did a 4-miler on Saturday and it was probably 80 when we started, plus sunny and pretty humid. It was a small town race with 34 runners and I won my age group! My age group had a total of three people. Still, I got a medal! And a $5 gift certificate to a farm stand, so I got some strawberries.

That's so awesome! I placed in my age group years ago in a very small race with identical circumstances as yours, as well, hilariously enough. Getting a medal (even for participation/finishing) is half the fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:50 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

monkeytoes wrote:
Where you go from a 5k depends on what grabs you. You can work on getting faster or running further, or both. Or neither if you're so inclined. If you're interested in adding speed, try some faster intervals during one of your 30 minute runs each week. Maybe try doing four 1-minute intervals at a faster pace to start with. Runner's World has some training calculators available online where you can plug in your current time for a given distance (45 minutes for a 5k, for example) and it will tell you what your long run training pace should be, and what your tempo pace should be. Tempo runs, even when they start with very short tempo intervals, are what helps you learn to feel comfortable at a bit faster pace and your 5k time will start to reflect that. Congrats on hitting that milestone! (Or is it kilometerstone?)

I was also a bit confused how to progress after the Couch to 5K plan, and this sums up what I'm trying to do now. I worked on running further first, adding five or ten minutes to my run every couple of weeks. This week I'm up to 80 minutes, which I never dreamed would be possible after my first attempts at running!

I live in a very hot, humid climate so I'm struggling to add speed. So at the moment I'm doing one longer run a week and two thirty minute runs with intervals. Those intervals are hard work, but I think they're making a difference to my overall fitness, so hopefully I'll start seeing some benefits in my longer runs too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:43 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

So, what do you do when your performance suddenly tanks? My last two runs have been slow and completely lacking dignity for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:05 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Nebraskalaska wrote:
So, what do you do when your performance suddenly tanks? My last two runs have been slow and completely lacking dignity for some reason.

Rest, recover, cross train and get excited about running again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:38 am 
Dead by dawn

luckyklutz wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

Yup. Also take a look at the conditions of those two runs... like when/what had you last eaten, were you adequately hydrated, was it hotter/more humid than you're accustomed to? When your performance lags, it's usually overtraining, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:17 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yeah, it's been HOT out during my long runs, even when I go early, so my performance has been awful, but then I did a speed drill indoors, on a treadmill, and just killed it, so definitely look at the conditions of your run! My pace also slowed down considerably when I started running on a hilly bike path, instead of a flat park, but that was because I added a bunch of hills.

I also just read an article about how it's sometimes good to gauge your run by effort, rather than your pace, so that you're pushing your body according to what it can do for the day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:15 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

monkeytoes wrote:
luckyklutz wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

Yup. Also take a look at the conditions of those two runs... like when/what had you last eaten, were you adequately hydrated, was it hotter/more humid than you're accustomed to? When your performance lags, it's usually overtraining, though.

Yeah, normally I try to run every other day, but I I decided to skip two days after my last awful run. This mornings run felt way better! I also think it could have something to do with eating out a lot lately, but who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:12 am 
Saggy Butt

Hey hey runners! Congrats to everyone who is running through the heat and/or crushing goals! You guys rock.

I've had some running ups and downs recently.
The up is that I took 1st in my age group at a 5k a few weeks ago! It was a small race (60 in my age group) with no age group awards but i still feel pretty badass. Especially considering that I"m not all that fast and short races scare the crepe out of me because they hurt too much so I don't usually do them. It was only my second 5k.
The other exciting up is that I just registered for another fall marathon. In Seoul on Nov 3! It's not 100% that I'll run it because it's a work trip for my husband but today was the last day to register so we decided to just sign up and try to make it work. Fun!
Unfortunately the down is a major down. My runner's knee has flared up since returning from vacation 2 weeks ago. I'm supposed to be in the peak weeks of marathon training and i've missed a bunch of runs including last week's long run and probably this week's too. I'm pretty freaked out about what will happen to my september marathon that i'm really excited to run. Finally seeing the physical therapist (been waiting for 2 months) on Monday so wish me luck that she can magically heal me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:09 am 
A Bad Person

I need some help from running pros. I'm new to long distances. I'm in a training program for a local 15K run. My previous furthest distance was somewhere around 6 miles, and that was well over four years ago. Now I'm up to 8 miles, and I'm dying out there. The runs are in the evening and I never eat right before one, but yesterday I had kind of a light lunch and I think maybe I should have ate more. Should I be packing on the calories in advance of a long run?

Also, I have arthritis in my feet. Painkillers before a long run, yes or no?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:30 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have noticed there is a direct relationship to how many calories I had the day before, and their quality, and how good I feel on a run.

I'm taking a short break right now because I'm feeling a twinge in the calf muscle I tore last year, so I'm just Jazzercising for now, because I have no desire to be limping around for a month again.

I've always been told painkillers are a bad idea before a run because they can mask important pain that tells you that you need to stop.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:50 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

brian wrote:
I need some help from running pros. I'm new to long distances. I'm in a training program for a local 15K run. My previous furthest distance was somewhere around 6 miles, and that was well over four years ago. Now I'm up to 8 miles, and I'm dying out there. The runs are in the evening and I never eat right before one, but yesterday I had kind of a light lunch and I think maybe I should have ate more. Should I be packing on the calories in advance of a long run?

If I run more than 7ish miles or so I need to take in calories on my runs. Either in liquid (e.g., gatorade) or solid (e.g., gels, pitted dates, etc.) form.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:06 pm 
Dead by dawn

Yes to calories (easily digestable carbs) before and during long runs. I try to eat something like cereal before and take gu with me if I'm going longer than 7 or 8 miles (1 every 40ish minutes works for me, your mileage may quite literally vary!) Then I eat something a little heavier in protein after a long run for recovery.

No to painkillers because as karichelle said, they can mask pain that you might need to feel and because, in the case of advil anyway, something about increasing heart rate/metabolism/blood flow... means you can damage your kidneys with it in your system ahead of a run. After is fine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:57 pm 
WELFARIST!

I bought new running shoes today (recycled my old ones for St. Jude's after the Warrior Dash this weekend) and am SO PUMPED to go for a run tomorrow morning! They are the lightest shoes I've ever owned. I shall fly.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:00 am 
WELFARIST!

Update: Ran in my new shoes this morning, and it was great! It was actually difficult to not go too fast (thus screwing up my pace and getting tired too quickly). Yay, light as fork shoes!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:30 am 
A Bad Person

Last week's run was worse than I thought: shin splints. I tried to go for a short run on Saturday and I was forking dying less than half a mile in. I'm supposed to be going for another 8.5 miles tomorrow, but I think I should not because it'll be the same slanty, hard route as last week, and I've got a 10K run this weekend that I cannot miss.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:34 am 

AP what model of shoes did you buy?

Brian I would say definitely skip your 8.5 if it's slanty and you don't want to miss your 10K, but that's just my $0.02.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:49 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just looked back to when I first posted in this thread and it was June 3rd that I did my first run for 25 years - I ran 3K. Yesterday I did 7.5K and that's on my own (which I find harder) and in a very hilly area. I'm not timing myself at the moment because when I did that I ended up going too fast too early, ending up walking and hating myself. I'm just trying to go a little bit further each time I run now. It's hard because I live in a very ugly and very hilly part of town, but I am loving the feeling of doing it. I just hope I'll keep wanting to do it when the weather turns and it's dark at night.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:16 pm 

Awesome progress Efcliz!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

lobsteriffic wrote:
AP what model of shoes did you buy?

Brian I would say definitely skip your 8.5 if it's slanty and you don't want to miss your 10K, but that's just my $0.02.

They're New Balance and the model is 520. I bought them at a Shoe Dept., which is kind of like Marshall's for just shoes, and I can't find them on their website, so they may be old models or something. They had my last model there too, some trail runners that I just loved and thought were super light, but both of these shoes weigh the same as one of my old ones. Luff them. Also, they're black and the N is outlined in neon pink and the laces are bright purple, so that's an added bonus.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:44 am 

Neat! It's always a bonus when the shoes that suit you also come in a pretty color combo!

I've been thinking about getting a pair of lighter shoes, probably trail runners of some sort, and working them into rotation with my "normal" running shoes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:23 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've been transitioning into a lighter/more neutral shoe for a while now. I'm a mild over pronator but I have had dealt with chronic plantar fasciitis in the past so I was wary of aggravating it or some new IT band tightness I am now working out.

I have always had a few pairs of shoes for different purposes, I have a couple "regular" shoes I use for most runs, trail shoes for light hiking and trail running (and winter running when the snow or ice is bad) and a lighter, more neutral "speed" shoe for track and treadmill workouts.

I bought a pair of Nike Frees to do my strength training, warmups, and functional exercises in (because I didn't want to keep wearing my track shoes) but have recently worn them out on a couple of 5kms and now my "regular" (Sunday long run) shoes feel heavy and cumbersome for shorter/faster runs. I don't think I am ready to fully kick off a more supportive shoe, especially when my half marathon and marathon training amps up this fall, but it's definitely time to evaluate my "regular" shoe for something with a touch less stability.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

studio wrote:
I've been transitioning into a lighter/more neutral shoe for a while now. I'm a mild over pronator but I have had dealt with chronic plantar fasciitis in the past so I was wary of aggravating it or some new IT band tightness I am now working out.

I have always had a few pairs of shoes for different purposes, I have a couple "regular" shoes I use for most runs, trail shoes for light hiking and trail running (and winter running when the snow or ice is bad) and a lighter, more neutral "speed" shoe for track and treadmill workouts.

I bought a pair of Nike Frees to do my strength training, warmups, and functional exercises in (because I didn't want to keep wearing my track shoes) but have recently worn them out on a couple of 5kms and now my "regular" (Sunday long run) shoes feel heavy and cumbersome for shorter/faster runs. I don't think I am ready to fully kick off a more supportive shoe, especially when my half marathon and marathon training amps up this fall, but it's definitely time to evaluate my "regular" shoe for something with a touch less stability.

Have you tried a Newton or maybe something like the Brooks Cadence or the Ravenna? The Ravenna isn't as light or minimal as the other two but it's a good in-between shoe for someone who minimally pronates.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:03 pm 

I know someone with the Ravenna and she really likes it.

I oversupinate/underpronate quite a bit, so I'm a bit hesitant to go for something minimal, but it sounds alluring and I'd like to at least have a something lighter/less supportive to wear on occasion.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:34 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Today I ran my fastest 5 k ever, in 31.36 min! I think my previous fastest time was about 36 minutes, so it was quite a big improvement, right? I feel that it was very random that this time came today, since I haven't been running regularly since april. Today I just ran with my head and it worked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 138  Next