| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 128  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:42 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I haven't been running for like a month. And I feel better than ever! Amazing. And my body looks better, I'm more muscular and leaner (= I have less body fat! isn't that weird?) Not to mention stronger! Doesn't seem like I'm getting back into running anytime soon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:36 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

so, this maybe is stupid, but y'all usually have good advice.
I've been trying to run on the road here (still just a few miles but would like to build up a bit). I am having real problems figuring out when to run between sun and mealtimes (they eat so early where i'm staying and get upset if i don't cook/eat with them), etc. Most evenings I end up exhausted and too full to run and then before I know it i've only run twice a week.
So I'm thinking it will have to be morning, but I just can't seem to face a morning run. Any suggestions for transitioning to running in the AM? [i will admit a big sticking point is fear of the bathroom-emergency thing, any poopage will have to be done on the side of the road. Am I being ridiculous?].

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

lobsteriffic wrote:
I know someone with the Ravenna and she really likes it.

I oversupinate/underpronate quite a bit, so I'm a bit hesitant to go for something minimal, but it sounds alluring and I'd like to at least have a something lighter/less supportive to wear on occasion.

Oh I'm sorry, I read that incorrectly- if you suppinate you don't want ANY of the shoes I mentioned. Ha. Woops.

You could do a well cushioned minimal shoe. Maybe even the Newton Energy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:32 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

torque wrote:
so, this maybe is stupid, but y'all usually have good advice.
I've been trying to run on the road here (still just a few miles but would like to build up a bit). I am having real problems figuring out when to run between sun and mealtimes (they eat so early where i'm staying and get upset if i don't cook/eat with them), etc. Most evenings I end up exhausted and too full to run and then before I know it i've only run twice a week.
So I'm thinking it will have to be morning, but I just can't seem to face a morning run. Any suggestions for transitioning to running in the AM? [i will admit a big sticking point is fear of the bathroom-emergency thing, any poopage will have to be done on the side of the road. Am I being ridiculous?].

I transitioned to a morning runner, and now I can't face the idea of an evening run! In fact, I agreed to run this evening with my friend, and am dreading it. What I did to get myself in the habit and out the door is this: I lay out my running clothes right by the bed, and put them on FIRST THING. Shoes and everything. Then a big glass of water and an energy bar or something if I'm particularly hungry. While that's settling on my tummy, I do my bathroom stuff like put in my contacts, brush my teeth, pull my hair back and pick out music on my iPod for the run. By then the water/energy bar is usually sufficiently settled, and I'm out the door. I was worried about the poop thing, too, but more in that I would lose my poop time in pushing it back to after my run. But I've never had an emergency and it usually still comes right out after I'm done running.

Good luck! It really is nice to get the run over with and out of the way in the morning. I tend to talk myself out of it all day if I plan to run in the evenings, or I'm too full, like you said.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have been doing morning runs for years and I've only had 2 'emergency situations' and that was when I was on a long run of more than 10 miles. Now to be safe, if I'm going to run more than 5 miles, I go beforehand (usually a cup of coffee does the trick).

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:59 pm 
Dead by dawn

lobsteriffic wrote:
I have been doing morning runs for years and I've only had 2 'emergency situations' and that was when I was on a long run of more than 10 miles. Now to be safe, if I'm going to run more than 5 miles, I go beforehand (usually a cup of coffee does the trick).

Oh man, I just plain don't go for a run in the morning until I've gone. I've had a couple of close calls!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:37 pm 
A Bad Person

Yesterday was my 10K and I did better than I thought I would! I ran with two friends who've been training independent of me but we all kept about the same pace. I actually ran it a bit faster than I normally do. Shin splints didn't come back afterwards either, so I'm really glad I skipped my weekly squad run last week.

Thursday is the dry run for a 15K that takes place in three weeks. Even though I'm still sore from yesterday, I'm feeling pretty good about it. I'm muscle sore, and not bone and joint sore, so I should be good to go by Thursday evening.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:39 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

That's awesome, brian!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay brian!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:46 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Thanks for the advice, it makes it seem possible at least.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

My IT band pain went away after physio for a while, but then it came back a month later which is frustrating as all hell. But, I was able to run 5k today, with the pain coming just near the end. Usually it would start around 2k and I'd be forced to stop because I like being able to walk afterwards. The improvement can either be attributed to exercises or the shot of whisky I had before the run.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:43 pm 
Chip Strong

Are you still doing your physio exercises, Tea? Do you use a foam roller?

I have a minor IT issue, went to physio, did all my prescribed (torturous) exercises and foam rolling but stopped when I wasn't having pain/tightness. Well, things are flaring up again! It's a good reminder to keep on top of your physio maintenance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:56 pm 
Inflexitarian

Yeah, that's more or less what happened to me too. I stopped when schoolwork picked up hugely and I didn't have time anymore (or at least didn't feel like I did. I definitely could've but was emotionally tired and lazy) I've started doing them again and it seems to be helping a little bit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:18 pm 
Chip Strong

I know it's a pain in the asparagus but maybe try and think about it as part of your life in a different way?

I hate foam rolling because its awkward and it hurts, but it's the main thing that keeps my little running twinges under control. I've started rolling in the evenings when my husband and I watch our favourite tv series. I have told myself if I want to watch tv (and we only watch an hour, max) I have to roll. That way, I have a reward for doing sometime I hate but know is good for me and I'm distracted at the same time. Or maybe try to incorporate the exercises into your fitness/run time. So instead of thinking "ok, I'm going to run 5km" (which let's say takes 30min?) you say "I'm going to do 10mins of physio stuff and run 5km" and just dedicate a little more time to what you already allocate for yourself when you think about "running".

Just an idea because I totally sympathize.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Put me in the "I hate foam rolling but it's the only thing that keeps me running" camp. When I slack off on the foam rolling, boom, IT problems.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:41 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Can I ask about clothing for winter/dark outside running? I only started in June so it's been easy so far. However, I'm wondering what happens when it's cold outside and you start off cold but then get hot as you run. Also, do you need to buy new reflective coloured stuff? Sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm very new to this (but loving it).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Personally I feel like bright, reflective clothing is a must. I do see people running in the dark with dark clothing but I just feel like it's very unsafe. And definitely dress in layers! Once upon a time, a PPKer posted a link to a page where you could enter the weather conditions where you were (e.g., temperature, etc.) and it would tell you what layers to wear. It was really helpfulf! But of course I didn't bookmark it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:36 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

What do you do with the layers once you remove them? Tie them round your waste? It feels awkward.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:38 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I too am very interested in what to wear once it gets cold! I see people wearing long running tights, are those actually warm? What brands are good?

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:36 am 
Dead by dawn

Seattle is pretty mild so... In the coldest parts of winter I run in long tights (not thermal ones) and a long sleeve technical shirt, gloves and a hat. I warm up fast so I don't really do layers at all and that ensemble will keep me warm enough down to about 30F. If I do feel the need to layer I have a Pearl Izumi shrug, which is really just arms, shoulders and chest coverage and super easy to tie around my waist because it doesn't flap around like a jacket. I think everyone's ideal running temp and whether your prefer to be cool or warm when you're running is pretty personal so you just have to experiment. Last yeaar I bought a warm beanie but only used it for like two super cold runs; above freezing I found it too warm and just wore the same light cap I wear year round.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:04 am 
Saggy Butt

Through a lot of trial and error I think I've finally figured out what works for me in winter. I'm cold when I start out but the layers are perfect as I get warmed up.

Top: long sleeve and tight base layer, long sleeve and looser tech tee, very light weight and windproof jacket, hat, gloves. I can't find exactly what I use for a base layer but something like this: http://www.prodirectrunning.com/lists/w ... layer.aspx. The tight shirt under a loose one keeps the outer layer from getting too sweaty so i don't freeze. This combo serves me pretty well all winter in temps ranging from -15C to 0C. Above freezing I'll lose the base layer.

Bottom: long running tights, socks, shoes. On the coldest days (around -8C and colder) I'll add base layer tights under my running tights. I'm the only person I know who does this but my thighs are always the coldest part of me and this helps. If I had thermal tights this probably wouldn't be necessary but my tights are just regular, year-round running tights. I used to wear multiple pairs of socks but found that my feet warm up quickly and one pair is sufficient.

Hope that's helpful!

Also, the site lobsteriffic was referring to is on Runner's World i think.
efcliz: I rarely run in the dark but my jacket is white so it increases visibility (except on snowy days, i guess!).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:07 am 
Saggy Butt

I'd also like to add that I've grown to love foam rolling! I've been a dedicated roller since I started having problems with my knee in the spring and I think I'm kind of addicted now. I even bought one of those rollers with the knobby parts to really dig in. It used to be torture for me but now i think it feels good!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:24 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Woooow! Yesterday a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go running with him and so for the first time after 2 months I ran again. It felt so good (after it was over). We managed 6 km although I had to take some walking breaks. Now I want to start again, what with the rain and then heat and the erratic schedule I have, I only ran 5 times this year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

inceptisol wrote:

Thank you! If anyone else is interested, here's the link:

http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:42 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

lobsteriffic wrote:
inceptisol wrote:

Thank you! If anyone else is interested, here's the link:

http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

This is amazing!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 128  Next