| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:31 am 
WELFARIST!

worldrunner79 wrote:

Morrisey do you have a specific goal for running? Are you following a plan? If you want some help on those things you can always send me a pm, I think I can give you some tips in order for you to be expecting the next workout and not be thinking:"#%# I need to go out of the house and run a little"

Did you mean me? (My subnick is 'Fat Morrisey' right now.) I don't, really. I was training for a Warrior Dash, but ever since that ended, I've just been running aimlessly. I don't really see myself training for more than a 5K, and don't have the time at the moment to run for more than 30 minutes a day (at least until it cools down and I can run in the evenings). So...my plan/goal is just to run 3 days a week, at around 2 miles per run.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:39 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

AP, that is pretty much my rut right now. I occasionally go over 5k and occasionally do a track workout, but i've reached the ho-hum stage-- mostly just doing the same 5k course that i can do from my house.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:17 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

sorry, yeah it was directed to you allularpunk.

well it is kind of important to have a goal, it does not matter much if the goal is winning an Olympic medal or running 6 miles a week, or gain endurance, or whatever. But for motivation as for the running plan is important to have a goal. Otherwise having to leave the comfort of the house might be a challenge.

Second, lets say that your goal now is just to run the 6 miles a week... Instead or running 2 miles 3 times a week. It becomes much interesting when you run 2 miles the first day, 1 mile the second day, and 3 miles the 3rd day...
Also choose 1 day a week to push you harder, the other days should be very relaxed. Run much slower if you have to. Just one day a week push yourself.

There are a lot of types of running workouts that you might want to try, but before starting with them it would be good to have a goal, so that whenever you go out, you work towards that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:24 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Just back from travelling in Europe. I manage to run in France, Spain, Portugal & Sardinia. Bordeaux was amazing, people were running there all through the day & night. Seriously people still running at 1 am.
I also manage to run my furthest distance so far. Nothing compared to you marathon runners but I was pleased. I did 12.5 k & I felt I could have continued but I didn't want to add too much distance so I was sensible & walked the last 2.5 k as a cool down.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:18 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Great job, chickpea! I love running on vacation. It's such a wonderful way to see a new place. Great job on your farthest distance. I took my husband out for a 12km run this morning and it was his longest distance in a very long time. He has run a 1/2 marathon but almost 4 years ago now. It was a wonderful sunny run along the river.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:20 pm 
Dead by dawn

Nice job, chickpea! I'm envious! I also love running on vacation/in new places. You just see things differently as a runner even that you do as a walker/tourist. Plus, I love downloading the maps from my garmin and "collecting" all those routes in different places (maybe that just makes me a nerd.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:50 am 
Saggy Butt

Glad to see everyone is still running!
As for me, I finally admitted defeat and switched my marathon to a half marathon for next weekend. Which is still pretty wishful thinking because I've barely been running the last 6 weeks. This knee injury is really getting me down! It just won't get better and the physical therapist can't seem to figure out the problem. I'm almost embarrassed to admit how depressed I am about it.
And fyi: Brazil nuts are really high in selenium.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:50 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

That sucks, inceptisol! I'm right with you on the embarrassment about bumming out - I mean, I have to laugh at myself for being so sad that I might not get to run some races that I'm registered for - really, all that happens is I lose the registration fee! Big deal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:29 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Sorry to hear that inceptisol, I also feel also the same when I'm injured, and mostly because my friends and family who do not practise any sport find it impossible to understand that I could feel bad by having to stay home and resting instead of going out and getting tired doing what I love...

P.S. thanks for the Brazil nuts tip

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:01 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Since I read the Brazil nuts tip I've been having two as a snack in the evening - they're delicious! But expensive.

I had my post-op today with my podiatrist and he said I'm healing fine and I should be okay to run again in a week or so. I want to get out there before it gets cold!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:45 am 
Saggy Butt

Thanks for understanding, guys! I miss running so much.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:31 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Yesterday I ran again! 42 minutes, 6 km, just one walking break. I loooove running to my playlist, unfortunately it's embarrassing trying to do the Time Warp in the middle of a park full of runners... OTOH, who cares, I was having fun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:34 am 
Impressive boner

In a couple of weeks I'm going to start running again. I haven't since 2011, when I fell off a treadmill and came away bleeding. I'm going to train for a 5k to begin with and work my way up to the 2014 Robin Hood Marathon, which will be at the end of next September. I did the mini marathon in 2011 and it was fun running with so many people on closed roads.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:08 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i am waiting for it to either warm up a bit, or for my cold weather gear to come (just ordered long tights and a pullover). all i have are super thin tanks and lycra shorts. it is already 45 in the morning so i need gear.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:58 pm 

studio wrote:
Great job, chickpea! I love running on vacation. It's such a wonderful way to see a new place. Great job on your farthest distance. I took my husband out for a 12km run this morning and it was his longest distance in a very long time. He has run a 1/2 marathon but almost 4 years ago now. It was a wonderful sunny run along the river.

Thanks. Your 12k run sounds lovely.
monkeytoes wrote:
Nice job, chickpea! I'm envious! I also love running on vacation/in new places. You just see things differently as a runner even that you do as a walker/tourist. Plus, I love downloading the maps from my garmin and "collecting" all those routes in different places (maybe that just makes me a nerd.)

Ooh, that garmin sounds cool, definitely not like a nerd!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:00 pm 

8ball wrote:
In a couple of weeks I'm going to start running again. I haven't since 2011, when I fell off a treadmill and came away bleeding. I'm going to train for a 5k to begin with and work my way up to the 2014 Robin Hood Marathon, which will be at the end of next September. I did the mini marathon in 2011 and it was fun running with so many people on closed roads.

I know how you feel. I couldn't get back on the treadmill after my accident for quite a long time & I've still not been back into the gym it happened in. I really lost my confidence. Good luck with your running.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:02 pm 

inceptisol wrote:
Glad to see everyone is still running!
As for me, I finally admitted defeat and switched my marathon to a half marathon for next weekend. Which is still pretty wishful thinking because I've barely been running the last 6 weeks. This knee injury is really getting me down! It just won't get better and the physical therapist can't seem to figure out the problem. I'm almost embarrassed to admit how depressed I am about it.
And fyi: Brazil nuts are really high in selenium.

Sorry to hear your knee is still bad. Fingers crossed you'll recover in time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:59 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

my gearz came and i went for my first not-hot-summer run (i think, since college!! yowzers). Holy crepe, it wasn't even really that cold but I had forgotten that catch in the back of your throat and the feeling of holy-shit-my-ears-may-just-freeze-off from the wind we had this evening. time to knit a headband, i guess. upshot, not being drenched in sweat when i got back. and i sure did miss the smell of running among the hay fields in the fall, though. it was beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:28 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I had my first vaguely cold, dark and wet run EVER this morning and I loved it so hard. I really had to pluck up courage to go because I thought for sure I would hate it but that couldn't have been further from the truth.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:20 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ooh, thanks for posting that. i've been afraid of early morning runs but am up at an ungodly hour to get the kid on the bus, so since i'm already up.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:31 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Torque, I mentioned it in the c25k thread, but I run very early in the morning too, in the drizzle most days, and I love it. My main goal with this running regimen is to fight seasonal depression, and for some reason being out on a quiet trail just as the sun rises feels AMAZING. I swing by the bakery for warm bread as I finish, and it's such a great start to my day. The times I have had to run later in the day didn't feel as good. When I go to bed on nights before a run, I actually feel excited that I "get" to get up at 5:45 to go running.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:32 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I am afraid I hurt my heel/ankle last time I was running, as it hurts even when I just walk (although much less). I finished that run with a very very fast run and I think I was striking the ground with my heels and that is what caused it. I will give it some recovery time and see if it gets better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:10 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Anek, that sucks! I hope it gets better soon.

I didn't run for 2 weeks and my achilles wasn't getting better, so I went to the doctor. I thought she would refer me to physical therapy but she referred me to ortho, so I went yesterday and he said that as long as I don't mind the pain I can keep running and even do my half marathons. Whatever he saw on the x-rays made him confident that I am not in danger of a rupture. The pain is completely tolerable (a 2 out of 10 at most) so what he said is pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. I don't think I'll do my first half marathon (in less than a month) because I haven't been training properly and don't want to get a new injury. I'm bummed about that because I wanted to run that one last year but registration filled up too soon, so this year I did their whole distance medley to be guaranteed a spot, plus another vegan runner I know got shut out of registration - it would have been her 1st half marathon and they don't allow you to transfer your number. I feel bad for taking her spot and not even showing up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi, all! I am new to the board and only on the vegan road for about three months. As I stated in my intro, I signed up for a half-marathon in the spring. My goal is just to finish as I have never run a race and am a new runner:)

I look forward to following along with everyone else's running adventures!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:53 pm 

Efcliz wrote:
I had my first vaguely cold, dark and wet run EVER this morning and I loved it so hard. I really had to pluck up courage to go because I thought for sure I would hate it but that couldn't have been further from the truth.

Glad to hear you are still enjoying your running.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 138  Next