| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 132  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:53 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again

Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 1094
Location: Yorkshire, UK
scwendy wrote:
Hi, all! I am new to the board and only on the vegan road for about three months. As I stated in my intro, I signed up for a half-marathon in the spring. My goal is just to finish as I have never run a race and am a new runner:)

I look forward to following along with everyone else's running adventures!

Good luck with your training.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:30 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:03 pm
Posts: 2239
Location: I can't believe it's not England!
scwendy wrote:
Hi, all! I am new to the board and only on the vegan road for about three months. As I stated in my intro, I signed up for a half-marathon in the spring. My goal is just to finish as I have never run a race and am a new runner:)

I look forward to following along with everyone else's running adventures!


Awesome! Half marathons are great. I did a 5k last thanksgiving and a 5 miler in january which were really my only races before a half marathon last may. I'm going to register for a half marathon in early december with the aim of getting a better time than the last one (which was still damn good, in my opinion-1:59:17).

Runners who know more about training than me, can you see if this looks reasonable?

Sundays-long runs, incrementally increasing a mile each week (this sunday would be 9) Probably going to be doing lifting the same day after the run

Mondays-may be HIIT, may just be biking to work.

Tuesdays-3ish mile run, trying to run race pace/push, probably followed by lifting

Wednesdays-Either stadium climbing or interval running via the zombies run! app (or neither, if it feels like too much)

Thursdays-lifting if I feel up to it

Fridays-hill runs

Saturdays day off! wheeee (only movement would be possible yoga and some light biking to get places)

So I may fiddle with it since that looks like a lot to me. I just don't want to cut out the stadium if I can help it as I think it really helped last time. And I could cut down to 2 lifting sessions a week, so we'll see there... But I'm working my way back into the fitness level to be able to handle all of it, so that may be what it looks like in a few weeks. (Also, this is mostly based off the intermediate half marathon training plan that comes up with a google search for half marathon training-hal higdon or something?)

_________________
"Vegan to me means Oreos for breakfast." -Poopiebitch
"tl;dr: I quit working to drink beer paid for with gift cards" erikasoyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:50 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:17 am
Posts: 742
Location: Toronto
5k run yesterday, and my IT band didn't bother me at all. First time in some stupidly high number of months.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:07 pm 
Offline
Asked Santa for a pony
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 pm
Posts: 3047
Location: Portland
These damn shin splints! It's like, I can get about three runs in before I relapse and am back to hobbling around. I started practicing yoga again daily, and I really thought it was helping, but I guess not. I need to incorporate some PT-type exercises into my daily routine, I guess.

_________________
The Noochy Noodle, my personal obsession with discovering the worlds greatest vegan mac and cheeze


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:43 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:32 pm
Posts: 413
Yay, Tea!

lillianp, I probably know the same amount about training as you, but I think it sounds reasonable. My routine is pretty similar and also based on the half marathon programs online. I don't do hill training or speed work specifically (my regular route is hilly so I figure that's good enough) and I tend to take one rest day.

I need some advice about reprogramming my body or my eating habits. I usually run when I first get up in the morning, but with my recent Achilles problems it's more comfortable to go later in the day. I don't like to eat anything before I run, which is maybe the main reason the early morning works the best. Yesterday I ate lunch around noon and ran around 4, and it was horrible. I figured 4 hours was enough time to digest, but I guess not. I felt like I was going to throw up the entire time. I sometimes run at lunchtime before I eat, but not a long run because I have to be back at work. So I'm really looking at around 5:00 most days. I guess the answer is to eat a smaller lunch so I'm hungry by the time I start running, but I hate being hungry in the afternoon. Have any of you successfully switched from your preferred running time?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:50 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm
Posts: 4179
Location: Toronto, ON
Dave the Cat wrote:
Yay, Tea!

lillianp, I probably know the same amount about training as you, but I think it sounds reasonable. My routine is pretty similar and also based on the half marathon programs online. I don't do hill training or speed work specifically (my regular route is hilly so I figure that's good enough) and I tend to take one rest day.

I need some advice about reprogramming my body or my eating habits. I usually run when I first get up in the morning, but with my recent Achilles problems it's more comfortable to go later in the day. I don't like to eat anything before I run, which is maybe the main reason the early morning works the best. Yesterday I ate lunch around noon and ran around 4, and it was horrible. I figured 4 hours was enough time to digest, but I guess not. I felt like I was going to throw up the entire time. I sometimes run at lunchtime before I eat, but not a long run because I have to be back at work. So I'm really looking at around 5:00 most days. I guess the answer is to eat a smaller lunch so I'm hungry by the time I start running, but I hate being hungry in the afternoon. Have any of you successfully switched from your preferred running time?


I'm interested in the replies you get as I am in a similar situation. I am trying to go running after work because it's quite dark in the morning now and I don't feel comfortable being out running by myself. I also like running on an empty stomach and find after-work runs challenging.

_________________
I like my bagels like I like my men - big and covered with earth balance & nooch. - Bunniee

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:30 pm 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7912
Location: Brasil
ha, i never figured that out, i tried a few times and was just gearing up to start early AM runs when the cold punched me in the face and i've been down for a week. hoping to get back in the saddle by next week.

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:18 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2601
Location: England
I have a bad shoulder at the moment, a dull nagging pain. I had it before years ago when I wasn't doing any exercise at all. It doesn't hurt at all when I'm actually running but comes back later. Everyone is trying to tell me it must be related to running but I can't see how.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:35 pm 
Offline
Frees Bunny Slippers
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:58 am
Posts: 166
Location: somewhere lost in the 10th dimension
Quote:
Awesome! Half marathons are great. I did a 5k last thanksgiving and a 5 miler in january which were really my only races before a half marathon last may. I'm going to register for a half marathon in early december with the aim of getting a better time than the last one (which was still damn good, in my opinion-1:59:17).

Runners who know more about training than me, can you see if this looks reasonable?

Sundays-long runs, incrementally increasing a mile each week (this sunday would be 9) Probably going to be doing lifting the same day after the run

Mondays-may be HIIT, may just be biking to work.

Tuesdays-3ish mile run, trying to run race pace/push, probably followed by lifting

Wednesdays-Either stadium climbing or interval running via the zombies run! app (or neither, if it feels like too much)

Thursdays-lifting if I feel up to it

Fridays-hill runs

Saturdays day off! wheeee (only movement would be possible yoga and some light biking to get places)

So I may fiddle with it since that looks like a lot to me. I just don't want to cut out the stadium if I can help it as I think it really helped last time. And I could cut down to 2 lifting sessions a week, so we'll see there... But I'm working my way back into the fitness level to be able to handle all of it, so that may be what it looks like in a few weeks. (Also, this is mostly based off the intermediate half marathon training plan that comes up with a google search for half marathon training-hal higdon or something?)


In all my years running and with all the coaches I've ever had, the two most important things are the amount of miles you run each week and the recovery you get, that's why I've never done more than 2 speed workouts (interval training, tempo runs, hill runs, stadium climbing, etc) a week. And most of my training is based on easy runs.

Also as a rule of thumb from all my coaches, long runs should at maximum be twice as long, as the longest easy run I did over the week.

So if I would start your training plan I would modify it to something like this:

Sundays: Long Easy run
Mondays: Hiit or bike
Tuesdays: Easy run(3-6 miles)
Wednesdays: Either Stadium climbing, hills-run or interval run
Thursdays: Lifting
Fridays: 2 weeks of easy run(3-7 miles) and on the third week a tempo run(1 mile very easy - 3 miles pushing hard (15 to 20 seconds faster per mile than your race pace) 1 mile very easy)
Saturdays: off

hope this helps :) and good luck with the half :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:08 pm 
Online
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7820
Location: Seattle
I'm starting to sketch out the next year+ run up to Ironman Florida on Nov 1, including several running races. The team has a "5k fun" theme running October through February with a local race per month that we want to enter as many of us in as possible, so I will probably do all of those except October, which conflicts with a 10k I am already registered for. November will sort of double as a run test to reset my heart rate zones so at least that one will be all-out. After the 5ks (and a lot of strength training and swimming in the triathlon off-season) next year is shaping up:

February - Birch Bay half marathon
March/April - 10k TBD
May - Vancouver marathon
Triathlon season (aka, summer!) - at least two half-Irons, probably with either a half marathon or an Olympic distance tri in between
November - The Big One!

Who else has been working on their race schedule? Anyone else eyeing Vancouver? C'mon... you know you wanna! I've done the half and it's a fantastic course so I'm looking forward to the full a lot.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:40 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 985
Hey, MT! Sounds like a great year you are working towards. I have a 1/2 on the horizon for Feb and I'm also running the full in Vancouver. I did it last 2 years ago and the course was amazing. I'm also very seriously considering an ultra (50km) in June. It sounds a little nutty, even to me, but I know I can do it. I just have to decide if I want to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:33 pm 
Offline
Frees Bunny Slippers
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:58 am
Posts: 166
Location: somewhere lost in the 10th dimension
Dave the Cat wrote:

I need some advice about reprogramming my body or my eating habits. I usually run when I first get up in the morning, but with my recent Achilles problems it's more comfortable to go later in the day. I don't like to eat anything before I run, which is maybe the main reason the early morning works the best. Yesterday I ate lunch around noon and ran around 4, and it was horrible. I figured 4 hours was enough time to digest, but I guess not. I felt like I was going to throw up the entire time. I sometimes run at lunchtime before I eat, but not a long run because I have to be back at work. So I'm really looking at around 5:00 most days. I guess the answer is to eat a smaller lunch so I'm hungry by the time I start running, but I hate being hungry in the afternoon. Have any of you successfully switched from your preferred running time?


I've switched my preferred running time a lot of times. I started running in the very early mornings (6am) and my coach at that time told me to have breakfast before running because it wasn't good to run with an empty stomach, so I used to bring a banana to the track and ate it during the warm up run. My advice might not be so good since I can run and eat at the same time.
But I can tell you that if I'm not running relaxed I always end up feeling like throwing up regardless if my stomach is full or not, and when I run relaxed I can eat and run.

So maybe a good and relaxed running technique might help you.
Start very slow, run on your toes, relax your shoulders, swing your arms(many amateur runners do not pay attention to this, but the arms give you balance, control the length and frequency of the strides. If the arms get stiff, the whole body will get stiff, including the abs muscles and that increases the feeling of throwing up ), feel like a feather and do not force anything.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:37 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1481
Location: Hamburg, Germany
What should I be looking for in running tights? So far I've been running in regular leggings under a summer dress, but we're getting close to 0C in the mornings so that's not going to cut it for much longer. I tried a few pairs at a running store but felt a bit overwhelmed by all the options and their prices!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:39 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:08 pm
Posts: 285
Location: Vienna
lilianp: I agree with worldrunner that it would be best to switch out one of your speed days for more easy miles. You're getting too many of your weekly miles during just one long run.

Nice looking schedules, monkeytoes and studio! I love planning out my racing. I don't have anything definite yet for next year except Bratislava marathon in April and probably Tel Aviv half marathon in Feb. And thinking about a 55km trail race in June. I still have Seoul marathon on 3 November (which is going to be terrible because i've been out of commission for so long) and am looking for a redemption half for December.

My marathon-turned-halfmarathon 2 weeks ago was pretty bad. I had to walk most of the last 4km because of knee pain. I took almost 2 weeks off entirely then ran a 10km trail race straight up a mountain on saturday (over 1200m elevation gain) and i didn't do as well as I'd hoped. I really need to do more hill training. I have a 5km tomorrow night then another 5km on sunday (for Austria's vegan society!) both of which i'd like to do well in but I'm pretty out of shape. Whine!

Sorry for being such a downer lately!

aelle - One thing I'd look for is that they're tight enough that they won't slide down at all when you're moving. There's nothing more annoying than yanking your pants up when trying to run.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:25 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1481
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Good point inceptisol, thanks. I have a big butt and thighs and a small waist, and a bunch of the ones I tried were already too loose at the waist. Not desireable at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:11 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1308
Location: Nova Scotia
aelle, some of them have a drawstring which may help. I am built the opposite of you (rectangular) and usually discard the drawstring. I like tights with no bells and whistles. The ones I use now are basic ones made with several panels (to improve fit), reflective tape in several areas, and a small inner zip pocket but other than that nothing fancy. They were about C$45.

I have warmer tights for below 0C though and they are basic too except they have a zipper at the ankle. I like that because on occasion I want to take them off or put them on over my shoes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:26 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 539
Location: PDX
aelle wrote:
Good point inceptisol, thanks. I have a big butt and thighs and a small waist, and a bunch of the ones I tried were already too loose at the waist. Not desireable at all.


Hi Aelle! I have the same issue. What I ended up doing was buying a pair that fit the best and modifying them by adding a drawstring to the waist (cutting two holes into the waistband and threading a ribbon through them). It's actually worked pretty well!

I haven't posted about running in awhile (or, actually, on the PPK at all) but here I am! My running buddy and I decided our "race a month" challenge wasn't enough and now we are taking on a half marathon in every state! We already have Oregon and Washington down and signed up for the 3M Half in Austin in January. I'm both super excited and super nervous about the whole thing. It's going to take us something like 10 years to do this with our schedules.

I have such a radically different attitude towards running than where I was 3 years ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:19 pm 
Online
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7820
Location: Seattle
Steffers! wrote:
...taking on a half marathon in every state!

How fun!

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:21 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 am
Posts: 464
I need some advice. I am pretty new to running. I did the couch to 5K program starting in April, finished it, and have been running about 3 miles 3 times a week since. It looks like I need to take my workout inside for a little bit. It's too dark to wake up before my kids need to be up, which is what I did all summer, but too hot once I drop them off at school. Yes, I'm a wuss, but I hate running with the sun beating down on me. So for the next month or two, I need to work out in a gym.

Here's the problem. I can't run on a treadmill. I must hold my body funny or something, but within 90 seconds an old injury in my foot starts to hurt really badly. So what machine can I use that will keep all my running muscles in shape? I signed up for a 5K race on Thanksgiving, and I want to be able to kick its butt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:10 pm 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7912
Location: Brasil
this may be strange but have you tried setting it at a slight elevation? or fooling around with your form?
I sometimes mix it up with the elliptical, especially as an alternative for HIIT or just plain intervals, just for a change. the muscles are different (more butt and shin)

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:02 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 am
Posts: 464
Thanks Torque. I haven't tried adjusting the elevation. I haven't been able to fool around with my form in a way that fixed this. I think part of the problem is that I don't have a super even gait. When I look at my run map app after I'm done, the pace is very up and down. But the treadmill requires me to be even, and I think that makes my body go all wonky.

I tried the elliptical today, and it felt like a pretty good workout. I may just stick with that for the next month or so until I can run outside again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:48 am 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7912
Location: Brasil
okay, i have a question. when you're sick, how long do you wait to get back out? i had the worst cold i've had since i had pneumonia years ago, fever, weakness, etc, for at least 7 days there was no question whatsoever of running. Now it's been more than 10 days and i'm still coughing up crepe and stuff, although at least i can breathe now. will running make me cough all the shiitake out and feel better, or die, suffocating on my own secretions? i haven't run in so long it's shameful.

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:00 am 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm
Posts: 4179
Location: Toronto, ON
DEG I find putting the treadmill on a 0.5 or 1 incline helps with my form. Nothing too high, just a slight incline.

Torque maybe try a short, slow/easy run and see how you feel?

_________________
I like my bagels like I like my men - big and covered with earth balance & nooch. - Bunniee

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:46 am 
Offline
Frees Bunny Slippers
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:58 am
Posts: 166
Location: somewhere lost in the 10th dimension
torque wrote:
okay, i have a question. when you're sick, how long do you wait to get back out? i had the worst cold i've had since i had pneumonia years ago, fever, weakness, etc, for at least 7 days there was no question whatsoever of running. Now it's been more than 10 days and i'm still coughing up crepe and stuff, although at least i can breathe now. will running make me cough all the shiitake out and feel better, or die, suffocating on my own secretions? i haven't run in so long it's shameful.


If I do not have fever, I always go out running.
Very slow, without forcing myself at all and with sweatpants...
...and if it is possible in a place with no human beings so that I can let go of all the crepe that is in my body without any shame.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:02 am 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7912
Location: Brasil
of course i was planning to go out this morning and try it and so far (at 8AM) the day has already been a shitstorm and it ain't gonna happen. maybe this afternoon.

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 132  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer