| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:34 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm hoping to do a marathon within two years or so. I've been in a rut lately and just want to accomplish something. Go big or go home for me. Maybe at the end of this, I'll like running marathons. Maybe I'll like running 10ks. Maybe I'll decide "fork this" and not want to run at all. Either way, I'm currently using the free RunKeeper app for training. When I get some extra money, I can't wait to buy No Meat Athlete!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:01 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Brian, I'm sorry your half didn't go well, and I totally agree about doing non-miserable distances. I have no desire to run a marathon! I have other things to do with my time!

I ran a 10-mile race last weekend and wore my NMA shirt, then met another NMA at the finish!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:21 am 
Inflexitarian

I ran 5k yesterday and the day before! Two days in a row! With no knee pain at all! Such joy. I even tried going fast yesterday instead of merely trying to get to the end without irritating my IT band again. It felt really good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

My running has taken a bit of a dive lately because I've tried to incorporate some other types of exercise too and I've just run out of time for running as much as I obviously need to.
SO I dragged my asparagus out of bed this morning & was pounding the streets in the darkness that is 6am in the UK at the moment. I did about 4 miles & it was easier than my running disasters last week when I was struggling to run for 15 minutes.
Reading this thread helps to keep the motivation up when things aren't going well, so thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:16 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I'm finally back into running after a 3 week break due to shin splints. I've overhauled my running/yoga schedule in a way that I hope will prevent future injuries. I'm only running 3 days a week now: regular street run on Thursdays, a trail run on Saturday, and interval training on Mondays, all followed immediately by yoga. I'm hoping that by mixing up my routines, surfaces, and leaving two days between street runs it will help a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Dragged my butt out of the house to go for a run tonight. (weight lifted yesterday & half a tour of a stadium seat run this am) SO slow. (big surprise, womp womp)

But I ran! And I ran between long runs! So I'm sort of adhering to the idea of a half marathon training plan. (I do long runs after a day of rest off pretty much any activity and the lifting actually HELPS with my time there)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:15 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I'm not in top shape now, still I have not recovered 100% from the race two weeks ago but I'm planning to run a 5.3km race this Sunday. :)

On other notes...

Dave the Cat wrote:
I ran a 10-mile race last weekend and wore my NMA shirt, then met another NMA at the finish!

Do you have any idea on how comfortable are the NMA singlets? I would like to buy one, but I've not dared yet since I always like to try my running gear before buying it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:06 am 
Not NOT A Furry

My NMA shirt is a t-shirt so don't know about the singlets. It's not my favorite t-shirt - I would prefer a lower neckline. The t-shirt material has a bit of a chemical smell even after several washes (can't smell it while wearing, only when holding up to nose)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:57 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I've just signed up for a half marathon in March and am very excited/nervous! I only took up running 7 months ago and am fairly slow, but I'm really enjoying it and want to give myself a target. I've got a 10k run coming up in a few weeks, and am looking for a good training plan to start in December so I can build up to it properly. I never would have imagined I would sign up for a half marathon in a million years, so just the fact that I want to do it is an achievement in itself!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:12 am 
Dead by dawn

jennyc wrote:
I've just signed up for a half marathon in March and am very excited/nervous! I only took up running 7 months ago and am fairly slow, but I'm really enjoying it and want to give myself a target. I've got a 10k run coming up in a few weeks, and am looking for a good training plan to start in December so I can build up to it properly. I never would have imagined I would sign up for a half marathon in a million years, so just the fact that I want to do it is an achievement in itself!

I could have written that exact post two years ago. I took up running thinking I wanted to run 5k, maybe even 10k, so I could do short course triathlons without walking and a half marathon was not even on my radar... until it was. Good luck with your 10k, and there are tons of 12-week half training plan available to choose from.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:23 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks for the encouragement, monkeytoes! If anyone has a recommended training plan, I'd be happy to hear about it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:47 am 

I have no good training plans. I was supposed to run 12.5 miles today as I have a half marathon in a little over a month but since I've been neglecting my midweek runs, I ran just under 6 instead. I could've technically run more but I couldn't get my brain and legs to go. I was stiff and just plain not feeling it. I'm going to try running home from work tomorrow and tack a couple extra miles on. (If I take the extra long way, it's about 10 miles and I can just run a mile past my house and turn around)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:59 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Yesterday I ran a 5.3km race.
The winner of the 2 previous editions of the race is a runner who ran 30 seconds faster than me on the 15km 2 weeks ago. I got him identified and my plan was to let him do the hard work of leading the race, and catch him by surprise at the end. My plan changed since a guy from a semi professional running team joined the race.
As usual I let all the crazy people pass me and slowly started to catch them. At the 2.4km I caught up with the second place(this guy who was faster than me 2 weeks ago). For a moment I was thinking about securing a second place, race tactically and stay behind him until the last stretch. But something inside told me "what the heck go for the first even if you do not finish the race". So I started to chase the first place who at the moment was already some 50m ahead of us.
100m before the finish line I tried to kick in order to catch him but my legs had no power left to change gears. At that moment I relaxed my shoulders and open my strides a little bit more, but it was not enough. So I ended with a very proud 2nd place just 2 seconds ahead of the 1st one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:59 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Nice one, worldrunner79!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:51 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Thanks a lot Arisaig :)

Still thinking about buying the NMA singlet for the next year and hopefully be able to stand on a Podium wearing it :-P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm on holiday this week & I have found time to run for the last three days in a row. I managed to run for an hour today. It was such a relief to get back up to running for this length of time. It's been such a struggle over the last month & I'd really lost my confidence. I came back with a huge smile & feeling awesome. Yay! It's been a long time since a run has done that for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:51 am 
Saggy Butt

Stupid weather forecast said it was gonna be sunny all day today. SO I pottered around all morning & now it is chucking it down! I forced myself out for a 30 minute run but, ugh, it was cold & wet & windy. Yuck. A lady who was sat in her car gave me a lovely kind smile which helped me keep going.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:26 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Good for you, Chickpea! I hate running in the rain and avoid it whenever I can, but then when I end up doing it I feel like a badass.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:59 pm 
Dead by dawn

My run today was crazy fun. It was all windy and stormy and we were running at the beach. Running into the wind is fun if you don't care how slow it makes you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:59 pm 
Inflexitarian

I've been running inside for all of my recent runs, because I don't yet trust my knee pain to stay gone on less even surfaces or pavement. (though I've been able to do 8 ~5km runs in two weeks without any pain - a bit of tingling sometimes) The trouble with an indoor track though is, I can never tell if I actually did a personal record or if I just miscounted laps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:58 am 

I got hives from my cold wet run this morning. I was going to split 12 miles into 2 and do 6 early and the 6 (around now, actually) with a group of people but then I realized I was stressed over the rest of the day and kept going. Of COURSE, I got crampy and I had to make the run shorter than I wanted. Still managed about 10 miles (mapped once I go home, I had no idea how long or short I was running), so I should do another couple later today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

Dave the Cat wrote:
Good for you, Chickpea! I hate running in the rain and avoid it whenever I can, but then when I end up doing it I feel like a badass.

Thanks DTC!
I got some new thick sugoi running tights yesterday so I treated myself to a run tonight .They really helped to keep my legs warm which is something I struggled with last year in the winter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

lillianp wrote:
I got hives from my cold wet run this morning. I was going to split 12 miles into 2 and do 6 early and the 6 (around now, actually) with a group of people but then I realized I was stressed over the rest of the day and kept going. Of COURSE, I got crampy and I had to make the run shorter than I wanted. Still managed about 10 miles (mapped once I go home, I had no idea how long or short I was running), so I should do another couple later today.

Well done for keeping going LP!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:41 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Cheers and encouragement to everyone in this thread. I'm finally picking up my beginning running again after a 4 mo hiatus but finding I need motivation to do so. Which means I need a new fitness gadget. So I found a Garmin watch I'm in love with. But if I know myself, I'll use it for a couple of months, tops. Then it will become a fancy overpriced timekeeper.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've been horribly slacking on the running due to a new job that is about 60 hours per week and then I didn't register for this particular half marathon I love since I went to Italy this year during the race.

Trying to get back into it, so I ran 4 miles this morning and registered for a St Patrick's Day 7k.

I'll spend the winter working on speed, at least that's the plan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 138  Next