| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:12 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yay Nebraska!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:36 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Nebraskalaska wrote:
You all convinced me! I've started training for my half marathon, and I convinced my boss to do it with me!

Nice one Nebraskalaska!
I ran 6.5 miles on the beach yesterday. I was really pleased. I wasn't feeling great & was struggling for the first mile. I thought I would only manage 3 miles if I pushed myself really hard. The pace wasn't great but there was also an incredibly strong head wind which was hard to run into.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:00 am 
Inflexitarian

monkeytoes wrote:
Do it! I was up to ~7 miles when I started a 10-week program for my first half and I really didn't even need to be that far along... I think 5/5.5 would have been a fine place to start. You have a lot of time to build mileage before you start a structured training plan.

There's a half in nine weeks, and I'm at 5.5 miles... (was able to do much more previously but stopped and have recommenced). It's the Ottawa "Hypothermic Half-Marathon" which sounds hilarious and like it will be a run to remember, so I kind of want to give it a try. On the other hand, I'm wondering if signing up for it would be really unwise given the short time span to prepare.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

Way to go, everyone who's running!
I managed to finish 2 marathons during my month in Korea! My knee is still giving me trouble so I had to take a lot of stretching/walking breaks and took it really slowly but it was fun. I was back to the knee doc yesterday and got an MRI and it turns out my kneecap is being pulled out of place by some really tight muscles in my hamstring and IT band. I'm hoping the physical therapy will be more helpful with a more specific diagnosis because the PT had given up on me.
I really, really want to get back to a normal running routine soon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:46 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I am fairly certain I have a stress fracture/reaction in my left shin. I thought it was shin splints for a long time, but after doing some research I'm 99% sure it's a fracture. I have an appointment at a sports medicine clinic for a bone scan, so hopefully I can get a diagnosis soon.

After the initial shock and anger I did some research into water/pool running and apparently it's amazing physical therapy for runners with injuries. I was really bummed about not getting to train for my half marathon for 4 - 6 weeks, but runners report losing no fitness or endurance by switching to pool running and apparently you can continue training for races.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:18 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yikes, Nebraskalaska. Take it easy - that sounds incredibly painful.

I went out for a 4-miler in the beautiful weather this afternoon. I'm hoping to be able to run/walk the 10K I signed up for next Sunday. We'll see!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:21 pm 

Ouch, Nebraskalaska! Injuries are so frustrating. Good luck on your rehab/alternative training.

Today I had a fantastic run that just reminded me how much I love running. 20km, the weather was wonderful, great chit-chat with my running buddies and the route was beautiful and scenic. I felt super strong and kicked up the pace in the last 2-3km. I'm also committed to a Dec 1-Dec 31 run streak: 1 mile/day minimum. Fun!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:25 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have a half marathon in a week and this morning's run was the first one where I didn't feel like shiitake the entire time in a while. (I mean, things still hurt, I still feel like I"m falling apart, but nothing was AWFUL) It gave me hope for the half marathon!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:22 pm 
Dead by dawn

After my tri season ended mid-September we cranked things down for a bit and I was definitely feeling like I had lost some fitness (but not worrying about it because I trust my coach.) Now we are cranking the running back up in preparation for a half marathon and a marathon and, lo and behold, my zone 2 long run training pace is about 12-15 seconds/mile faster than it was this summer. Bodies are weird. (And coaches are smart.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:16 pm 
Inflexitarian

My IT band started inexplicably hurting again. I heard good things about foam rolling so I decided to try it but I must have done it wrong because now it hurts more. Aaaahhh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:05 pm 

Tea, yeah, mine usually feels better after foam rolling, I think it helps my next-day-recovery better than same day though? It does hurt a LOT during sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:04 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I didn't want to dig through 100 pages. I started a 10k program this summer and was able to finish the last workout before the bad weather hit. I intended to continue running in the winter, but now I'm thinking I'll probably end up slipping and crack my head open. What do people do for alternative workouts that keep the built up stamina? I don't want to start fresh come spring.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:29 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

fatcat wrote:
Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I didn't want to dig through 100 pages. I started a 10k program this summer and was able to finish the last workout before the bad weather hit. I intended to continue running in the winter, but now I'm thinking I'll probably end up slipping and crack my head open. What do people do for alternative workouts that keep the built up stamina? I don't want to start fresh come spring.

I do a lot of spinning during the winter (approx 3 times a week) and haven't felt like I've lost running stamina come spring. Fortunately the classes at my gym are good - I don't know what I'd do if I had to be self-motivated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:00 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

fatcat wrote:

There are steel nubs (sorry, I have no idea what they're called in English) that you put on under your shoes to prevent slipping. I used mine for the first time today and they worked great!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:48 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yaktrax are one option for continuing to run outdoors!

Is there anywhere near you with an indoor track? Some high schools have them.

Treadmills are an option too of course but uuuugh. (I feel the same way about the elliptical and stationary bikes though. Cardio in the gym just seems wrong to me.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:08 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The closest indoor track is 20 miles away. I thought about the gym, but I hate running on a treadmill, but I think i will check into these yaktrax. Thanks all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:25 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

It is so cold to run outside..

Helen Keller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:51 pm 

I did a half marathon today! 2:02:31, so 3.5 minutes slower than the one in may but I'm coming off injuries and it's 30 degrees colder, so I'll take it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:50 am 
Saggy Butt

Great job, lillianp!

I've seen people using yaktraks and they seem to work pretty well. Though I've been able to run through the winter by watching my footing when it's snowy and trying to avoid ice. I had some pretty fun snowstorm runs last year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:43 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yay lilianp!

So far we haven't had much ice, but I think our luck is about to run out.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:03 am 

Wow, great job lillianp!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:38 am 
Married to the wolfman

Yay yay yay! Congrats lillianp!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:44 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Nice job, lillianp!

I had my last race of the year yesterday - a 5K, and I wanted to get a good time because today is my birthday, but my friend and I got there at the very very last minute and were all the way in the back instead of getting to start in our pace group. It was so crowded that I couldn't really get going for a million years. That's bad enough, but then it turned out that they measured your time from the actual start of the race instead of when your chip crossed the start, so I was doomed from the beginning. Oh well.

No races on the calendar so far until June. My winter project is to get my dog running with me! I'm not too keen on running with ice/snow on the ground, so we'll see how that goes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:55 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

lobsteriffic wrote:
Yay lilianp!

So far we haven't had much ice, but I think our luck is about to run out.

Don't say that! I hate running in icy/slushy/snowy conditions.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:25 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Congrats, lilianp!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 137  Next