| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:29 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

j-dub wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
Yay lilianp!

So far we haven't had much ice, but I think our luck is about to run out.

Don't say that! I hate running in icy/slushy/snowy conditions.

Quiet, you! :P Don't give the weather powers that be any ideas.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:57 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ah DtC, what a bummer about your 5k. I ran one yesterday too and the start was so incredibly disorganized... they announced that line up was going to start in five minutes, and then 3 minutes later-- with NO warning-- sounded the gun. So everyone took off confused in a big unwieldy mass. My chip time was like 40 seconds slower than gun time and I spent the first two or three minutes of the race just squeezing my body into empty spaces and trying to get ahead of the throng without getting elbowed.

While doing so, I passed very close by to a young girl-- looked to be maybe 10-- who spat "bisque!" at me loudly when I passed her. My new favorite race memory.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Does anyone else feel like you are going to break the treadmill when you run fast on it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:33 pm 
A Bad Person

That's one of the few things I like about running on a treadmill. I'm going to crush that insipid machine with my feet! I'm going to run on it until it dies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

brian wrote:
That's one of the few things I like about running on a treadmill. I'm going to crush that insipid machine with my feet! I'm going to run on it until it dies.

hahah, that's great! You crush that machine.

I can't run inside, so I'm going to have to be creative and careful when running outside. I try running on a treadmill and I'm just kind of like "WHAT, NO" so I stop.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:09 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I used to be secretary for a fitness equipment repair company I've seen treadmill decks crack in half! The deck is the composite wood that the belt runs around on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:25 pm 
Married to the wolfman

It's part of why I can't bring myself to run on the treadmill... besides the fact that it feels awful in every single way, the sound/impact of my feet on it always makes me feel like the damn thing is going to bust in two. I used to think it was because I was fat or because my running form was bad, but I weigh drastically less than I used to and my running form is pretty good now and yeah, my experience is still the same.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:04 am 
Saggy Butt

Ugh, i'm still bitter because my fastest 5k time was at a gun-timed race and not chip-timed. I would have started at the front if i'd known!
But congrats on your races, Dave and coldandsleepy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:54 pm 
Dead by dawn

Yeah, if you're wearing a chip you have every reason to assume they're timing you from the mat at the start line to the mat at the finish line, not off the gun. Luckily my only gun start/chip finish race was a half marathon that I bested a couple of months later or I'd be very bitter about it!

I did a 5k on Sunday, but my time sort of sucked. It was SO cold that it was hard to get into a breathing rhythm, it started with ~.5 miles uphill, and the first mile was so everloving crowded. Oh well. It was my first actual 5k race so the next one should be an easy PR.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:02 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Today's run started out so nicely. Easy, quick, dealing with snow and ice like a pro. The second half was HELL because it was uphill and into a headwind. Then on my cooldown I slipped while putting my sunglasses back on and nearly lost an eye! Stupid winter!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:49 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Hooray! I went to the doctor and he said that I do not have a stress fracture, but I do have a stress reaction (the bone is stressed but hasn't actually cracked). I can go back to running today as long as I take it reallllllly slow! And he said I should be good to do my half marathon in April.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:23 pm 

Great news!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:02 am 
Saggy Butt

I finally got to run yesterday after nearly 4 weeks off due to injury & illness. I managed 30 minutes, so I was pleased with that. The nicest thing was a friend saw me out running & text to say how good I looked & how impressed she was that I was running so soon after Xmas. After not exercising & being poorly, I was really lacking confidence so it was a lovely compliment to get.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:49 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Yay for back to running everyone!
I went today for a rather short but very pleasant run, after a couple of months off due to laziness and a hurt foot. For the first time a running route at my boyfriend's place that is flat and nice! Of course, being on vacation I can run during daylight, which won't be possible after I get back to work, but let's see! I have plans for 2014, so let's at least get started.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:33 pm 

The weather here hasn't been very conducive to running lately but it has been nice the last couple of days so I got in 5.2 miles today.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:48 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

3.5 yesterday after a couple of inactive weeks. I'd love to hit 5 again in the next month or so.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:01 pm 

I had a terrible stomach flu over christmas and it has taken so much out of me! I haven't run in a week now (which may not seem like much but up until then, I ran every day in December) and I'm getting antsy. I want to feel better already!! I'm just whining and wanted somewhere to complain. Blargh.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:04 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I haven't been able to run much in the last weeks...
(Moving to a new country has not been easy)

But I put myself to test today on the treadmill.
I wanted to see if I could handle 1000m at a pace of 2min 58seconds. I felt really good after the 1st km so I continued at that speed until the mile...
I was amazed, I haven't trained for that distance in 8 years and today without feeling exhausted at the end, without the adrenaline rush of a race, without any competitor near me, I did a PB...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:18 pm 
A Bad Person

Today was the inaugural First Night 5K, which me and my friend brilliantly signed up for. Yesterday, the high was 53 degrees. Today, it was about 28 at the run, with spitting freezing rain. It was as typically flat as any midwest 5K, except for a giant hill right in the middle. My leggings were not as wind-resistant as I would have hoped, but we finished with a decent time. And then we went straight to Chipotle for burritos!

It was also a fairly low budget affair. No chips for time, they just started a gun time (airhorn time) and were recording runner numbers and times at the finish line. It's been a while since I've seen that!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:00 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I just signed up to volunteer for the New Years Eve 5K since my wretched back precludes me from run/walking it. I plan to full-on run it next year, though! And I'll ring in the new year supporting a neat event. Yay! Can't wait til I'm up to running again.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:32 pm 
Dead by dawn

brian wrote:
And then we went straight to Chipotle for burritos!

It's a proven fact that burritos are the best post-race food.

I am supposed to race a 5k on New Years Day, but I'm cringing at the early hour and the money factor. I think since it's on my schedule, I will just mosey on down to the nice paved trail around the lake at a decent hour, warm up and run a fast 5k on my own.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:19 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I'm running a 10k on New Year's Day! It should be really interesting to see if I can meet my goal time or not (54 minutes, which is twice my 5k time plus 2 minutes of padding). It seemed like a long shot initially but I've run two 56 minute 10ks in the past week as part of "easy" runs so I'm starting to feel hopeful that race day energy will carry me through...

Also if it's cold as balls (it's next to a river! It will be) maybe I'll run faster to get out of the cold sooner.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:34 pm 

I ran 4 yesterday and my calf is a bit achy/crampy, so I'll take today off and hit it again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:04 pm 

I bought myself a treadmill today! Yay! Obviously, I prefer to run outside and I don't consider myself a fairweather runner, but this December had unprecedented snow and ice and many forking freezing cold days (like -4F) and I just couldn't run outside day after day in those conditions. Now, instead of dragging my asparagus to the gym when I need to get in my training miles, I can jump on the treadmill at home. I never thought I'd be pumped at the prospect of treadmill running be the convenience in winter has me excited!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:42 pm 
Saggy Butt

studio wrote:
I had a terrible stomach flu over christmas and it has taken so much out of me! I haven't run in a week now (which may not seem like much but up until then, I ran every day in December) and I'm getting antsy. I want to feel better already!! I'm just whining and wanted somewhere to complain. Blargh.

Not being able to run is the pits...
Congrats on the treadmill.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 138  Next