| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 127  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

coldandsleepy wrote:
I'm running a 10k on New Year's Day! It should be really interesting to see if I can meet my goal time or not (54 minutes, which is twice my 5k time plus 2 minutes of padding). It seemed like a long shot initially but I've run two 56 minute 10ks in the past week as part of "easy" runs so I'm starting to feel hopeful that race day energy will carry me through...

Also if it's cold as balls (it's next to a river! It will be) maybe I'll run faster to get out of the cold sooner.

Good luck with the race. Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:29 pm 
Dead by dawn

Nice, studio! I'm no fan of the treadmill but it'd be a whole lot nicer to run on one at home than dragging asparagus to the gym.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:47 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

yay studio!
i also am getting back into it and am running on the treadmill in my mother's basement. it's not the fancypants one from the gym but it works just as well. i missed it, the treadmilly mustard, but it sure beats running outside and freezing my tail off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay studio!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:51 am 

My last run of the year. Got back before the rain. Yay! I definitely played it right. I ran along the beach with the wind in my back. It was lovely. I got an i pod for Xmas & a running log book. Happy running in 2014 everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:22 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Another run yesterday, this time much longer! Yay it feels good!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:56 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

You guys, I had the WORST experience volunteering! It was cold as balls and I spent about an hour route marshalling and couldn't feel my toes after about 15 minutes; the event director was super rude to several volunteers; they somehow forked up the route so that a whole bunch of people got lost and didn't run a full 5K; everything about the planning and execution felt rushed and poorly done; and for all the jogging in place I did to keep warm I should have just run the damn thing! My back is so angry because of it but I can't even say I ran it. And my experience was so negative I don't think I'm going to run it next year.

Also, say hello and thank you to the folks volunteering at your races! It's super weird and demoralizing to have people streaming past you and pretending you're part of the scenery as you're making sure they're safe and on route in -10 (c) weather.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ugh jdub I'm sorry the experience was so negative! Was this the race in Liberty Village? I was considering running that earlier in the year but if that is how it's organized I'm glad I ended up not registering. I hope your back feels better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:41 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Thank you! Yep, it's the one you're thinking of. And I didn't realize when I signed up that's it's a for-profit company that specifically specializes in marketing and branding through races. Which is fine, but that's not who I want to be volunteering for.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:22 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Aw j-dub, what a crappy and frustrating experience. :[

I ran a 10k this morning and it went great! I finished in 50:47 which was 3 minutes faster than my goal time. The funniest thing is the whole time I was running, I felt like I was going so slow... Buuuuuut I PR'd on pretty much every segment length possible according to Strava.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:30 pm 
Chip Strong

congrats on the PR coldandsleepy!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:04 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yay for everyone kicking butt! I've been slacking, but I signed up for a marathon, so it's time to get into gear!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:19 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Alright, not running the half marathon in April because my stress reaction keeps flaring up every time I try to run. I ran on Saturday and that was the first time I experienced any pain, but I can still feel the pain today. I'm going to rest up for about 2 months and shoot for a half in July instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:35 am 

Nice job Cold & Sleepy.

I hope you recover well Nebraskalaska.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Alright, not running the half marathon in April because my stress reaction keeps flaring up every time I try to run. I ran on Saturday and that was the first time I experienced any pain, but I can still feel the pain today. I'm going to rest up for about 2 months and shoot for a half in July instead.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:17 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

1) I ran with my dog for the first time yesterday! We went 4 miles, which is my usual route - I wasn't expecting to go that far on her first time but she was just chugging along so I figured why not. She did want to run off and play with other dogs, but it wasn't too hard to keep her reasonably on track. (I had her on leash)
2) I probably shouldn't have run at all because my old hamstring injury is acting up. It's snowing a lot today (& tomorrow) so there will be snow & ice on the ground for a while and I will definitely not run. I'm going to do the exercises I did when I had physical therapy for it, and I'm sure it'll get better eventually. I'm registered for a 5-mile race the 1st weekend in Feb - I will play it by ear.

Happy new year, everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:35 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Just registered for the half marathon in July! I'm so nervous!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:24 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm not really use to running marathon but I really wanna give it a try! Definitely one from my bucketlist.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:32 am 

Ran two days in a row, this time with music so I know more or less the distance, about 6.4 km. Both times in less than 40 minutes, and I took a couple of walking breaks. I see the improvements already! Today rest, tomorrow another long run (in the dark, with headlamps, and a friend. Let's see how that goes...)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:13 am 

The run in the dark went very well! We had headlamps but they weren't really necessary, enough streetlight for most of the way.
So yesterday I went again on another path, on my own, and it was perfectly fine too, enough bikes and pedestrians around that I never felt unsafe. Yay for winter running!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:22 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just finished Born to Run and am now longing to get outside and run. Too bad my hip won't allow it. Need to wait for that to heal first. :-/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I loved that book! I should re-read it, it's so inspirational and you are right, it really makes you want to get out and run. Hope your hip heals quickly!

Yay Anek!

I'm hoping the weather is nice enough here to get out for a run on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:13 am 

lillianp wrote:
I just finished Born to Run and am now longing to get outside and run. Too bad my hip won't allow it. Need to wait for that to heal first. :-/

Who is the author? Amazon gives me about 10 different "Born to Run" by different authors. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:28 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Anek wrote:
lillianp wrote:

Who is the author? Amazon gives me about 10 different "Born to Run" by different authors. Thanks!

This one: http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307279189

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:47 am 
Married to the wolfman

Ugh. I hit another thing on my "things I'm afraid of related to running" bingo card today... I was surrounded and barked at by a group of off leash dogs. When the owner (who was pretty far away to start with, and I mean these dogs really ran at me fast) finally came in sight of me he's like oh don't worry about them!! As they're barking at me and jumping at me. Really guy?

I'm fine but man what a crasshole. Also, my pace suffered because I slowed down when I saw the dogs coming.

ETA: this was in a public park with a no off leash dogs policy. Yaaaay.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 127  Next