| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:48 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lillianp wrote:
Anek wrote:
lillianp wrote:
I just finished Born to Run and am now longing to get outside and run. Too bad my hip won't allow it. Need to wait for that to heal first. :-/

Who is the author? Amazon gives me about 10 different "Born to Run" by different authors. Thanks!

This one: http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307279189

I have this book & I've tried to read it twice but I've lost interest not far into it. I don't know why. Everyone seems to love it & say it's a classic. I must try it again. I normally really enjoy books about running & I really loved Running with the Kenyans & Eat & Run.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:14 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Chickpea wrote:
lillianp wrote:
Anek wrote:
Who is the author? Amazon gives me about 10 different "Born to Run" by different authors. Thanks!

This one: http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307279189

I have this book & I've tried to read it twice but I've lost interest not far into it. I don't know why. Everyone seems to love it & say it's a classic. I must try it again. I normally really enjoy books about running & I really loved Running with the Kenyans & Eat & Run.

Maybe his writing style isn't catchy enough or something's off about it for you? I found it confusing at first how he jumped around but eventually got over it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:48 pm 
Dead by dawn

The team run tomorrow is a trail run in the mountains. It's been raining a lot the last few days and it's gonna be a muddy mess. I can't wait. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:07 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I guess this is running related: after our long run on Sunday (24km) my husband and I are hosting brunch at our house for our running group. I'm excited!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:34 am 

studio wrote:
I guess this is running related: after our long run on Sunday (24km) my husband and I are hosting brunch at our house for our running group. I'm excited!

That is so cool. I've joined Vegan Runners in the UK but there are no other vegan runners around here to run with (except my BF!) I've done it mainly to support the club & so I can run with the Vegan runners logo on to try & raise the profile of veganism & health. Whatcha gonna make?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:38 am 

lillianp wrote:
Maybe his writing style isn't catchy enough or something's off about it for you? I found it confusing at first how he jumped around but eventually got over it.

I will try it again but I've got a pile of books to work through at the moment.

Just back from an awesome 45 minute run on the beach. The sun is shining & it's the first time in ages I've run outside in daylight without a howling wind or rain. It was totally stunning. Just wish I was fitter & I could have kept going.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:06 pm 

I don't think anyone else is a vegan or even vegetarian. I'm not sure they know I am, either. People may be expecting bacon, but I'm just going to make a beautiful brunch and not focus on the fact this is a veg'n meal. Here's the menu:

-pumpkin spice loaf with lemon icing drizzle
-berry fruit salad with mint sugar
-peanut butter granola with a variety of toppings (soymilk, almond milk, etc)
-latkes
-chickpea flour frittata (which I'm going to call farinata as to not freak people out by "chickpea flour")
plus coffee, tea, oj & mimosas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:16 pm 

studio wrote:
I don't think anyone else is a vegan or even vegetarian. I'm not sure they know I am, either. People may be expecting bacon, but I'm just going to make a beautiful brunch and not focus on the fact this is a veg'n meal. Here's the menu:

-pumpkin spice loaf with lemon icing drizzle
-berry fruit salad with mint sugar
-peanut butter granola with a variety of toppings (soymilk, almond milk, etc)
-latkes
-chickpea flour frittata (which I'm going to call farinata as to not freak people out by "chickpea flour")
plus coffee, tea, oj & mimosas

Wow! I wanna come. Hope it goes well for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:17 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Studio, that sounds so good.

Yay for a run on the beach Chickpea!

It poured down rain all night and was supposed to continue throughout today, but it wasn't raining this morning so I snuck in a quick 4 miles. I thought today might be the day to break my streak but it doesn't look like it.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:44 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

coldandsleepy wrote:

It poured down rain all night and was supposed to continue throughout today, but it wasn't raining this morning so I snuck in a quick 4 miles. I thought today might be the day to break my streak but it doesn't look like it.

How many days is your streak up to now? The other day I was feeling lazy and didn't want to go running but then I thought of you and your streak and that motivated me.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:16 am 

Another 45 minute beach run today by a different route, the long slow incline home rather than the huge steep hill! It was frosty today but still beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:03 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

lillianp wrote:
Anek wrote:
lillianp wrote:
I just finished Born to Run and am now longing to get outside and run. Too bad my hip won't allow it. Need to wait for that to heal first. :-/

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:34 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I took advantage of the above 0 temperature to go for a run today but holy hell did I wipe out on a patch of ice. And this was during my warm-up! I wasn't even a block away from home. I was so tempted to turn around and call it a day but I powered through and I'm glad I did. Though, I gotta say, winter running is the pits.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:24 pm 

j-dub wrote:
I took advantage of the above 0 temperature to go for a run today but holy hell did I wipe out on a patch of ice. And this was during my warm-up! I wasn't even a block away from home. I was so tempted to turn around and call it a day but I powered through and I'm glad I did. Though, I gotta say, winter running is the pits.

I went out for a run today too and you are right - some of that ice was treacherous! I hadn't been running outdoors in 2 weeks though so it felt good to get out there. Way to be a trooper j-dub!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:47 pm 
Married to the wolfman

lobsteriffic wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

How many days is your streak up to now? The other day I was feeling lazy and didn't want to go running but then I thought of you and your streak and that motivated me.

Today was day 45 apparently! I thought I was at like 38 and was (pleasantly!) surprised when I counted.

Ow j-dub! Ice really is crummy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:30 pm 

The brunch was a HUGE success! I had one person bring turkey bacon (but only because he doesn't eat pork and thought it would be a bacon/sausage-fest and he was worried he would "miss out") I explained that I couldn't cook meat with my pans and it was no big deal. Everyone loved the food. Raved about it all, actually. Huzzah!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:45 am 

Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:29 pm 

studio wrote:
The brunch was a HUGE success! I had one person bring turkey bacon (but only because he doesn't eat pork and thought it would be a bacon/sausage-fest and he was worried he would "miss out") I explained that I couldn't cook meat with my pans and it was no big deal. Everyone loved the food. Raved about it all, actually. Huzzah!

Nice one!
I went on the treadmill today & found the virtual runs. I'm sure you guys have all used it before but I've never seen it. I ran through the American National Parks. Awesome. It made running on the dreadmill at 6.30am bearable. I think I may run around Chicago next week!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:11 pm 

I haven't done any running/training/anything since Sunday! I had a great 24km run but it was super icy and snowy and I kind of slipped and jammed my ankle a little. It hurt at the time but only in the moment. I kept running without issue. Monday it felt stiff, but I didn't think anything of it and wore heels to work and went about my business. Monday night it was bothering me and I looked and the damn thing was bruised and swollen all to hell. It's been bothering me all week and although its getting better (swelling is down) I'm going nutso with the forced rest. I know I should probably rest until Sunday again but I'm neurotic and getting antsy and crabby. Can you fine folks think of any exercises I can do in the meantime that won't aggravate it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:00 pm 

Would a spinning class or something bother it?

ETA: I hope you feel better!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:13 pm 
Dead by dawn

When I wrenched my ankle last summer, it would swell after running on it but not after riding my bike. I took that to mean it was a-OK to ride and that it wasn't aggravating it. Maybe try a stationary bike or a spin class?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:48 am 
Saggy Butt

Happy New Year of Running, everyone! Congrats to all on successful runs and races!
Anyone have spring races planned yet? I loved seeing your race schedules last year. Here's how mine is shaping up:

Jan 26 - Polar bear half marathon (training pace)
Feb 23 - Polar bear 28km (training)
Feb 28 - Tel Aviv half marathon
March 16 - Vienna half marathon
March 23 - Polar bear 28km (training)
April 6 - Bratislava marathon!
April 13 - Vienna half marathon
May 25 - Austria women's run 10k

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:27 am 
Dead by dawn

Wow, inceptisol, that looks like a fun schedule. I only have two running races planned this year since I will be Ironman-focused:

Lake Sammamish half marathon - March 8
Vancouver marathon - May (2? 4? Something like that)

Both will be A races with the intention of setting new PRs.

Edit: I just noticed that you're running a half a week after your marathon. The idea of that sort of makes me want to cry.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:46 pm 

studio wrote:
I haven't done any running/training/anything since Sunday! I had a great 24km run but it was super icy and snowy and I kind of slipped and jammed my ankle a little. It hurt at the time but only in the moment. I kept running without issue. Monday it felt stiff, but I didn't think anything of it and wore heels to work and went about my business. Monday night it was bothering me and I looked and the damn thing was bruised and swollen all to hell. It's been bothering me all week and although its getting better (swelling is down) I'm going nutso with the forced rest. I know I should probably rest until Sunday again but I'm neurotic and getting antsy and crabby. Can you fine folks think of any exercises I can do in the meantime that won't aggravate it?

Swimming? It's usually my default exercise when I'm injured or when I'm coming back from injury.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:35 pm 
Married to the wolfman

So I'm hoping to do 1 race/month until it's not fun any more (or I decide to change my focus). Tentatively I'll do:

January - 1/1 - 1st Run 10K in Eugene, OR (done!)

February - 2/2 - Super Guadalupe River Run 10K in San Jose, CA (registered)

March - I kinda told a friend of mine I would run in the she.is.beautiful 5K/10K in Santa Cruz on 3/23 but I really don't want to. (It is billed as "the pinkest 5k in the wooooorld!!!!" and promises buckets full of pink glitter and woman-oriented self-affirmations along the course. Even though I know the area it's in really well and it's a fun place to run and so easy to get to from my house (I could run over as a warmup) I don't think I can handle it. I just don't think I can.) But I'm thinking maybe I'll do the Hellyer County Park 5k or 10k on 3/1 instead.

April - not 100% sure yet but I *think* I'm going to run a half marathon in Santa Cruz. I know (and love) the course and again it's just down the street from me so I don't really have an excuse not to. There's a 10K if I decide I'm not up for the half but the course isn't as good. (Just sayin'.)

May - not sure yet

June - 6/13 - either 5k or half-marathon through the Forest of Nisene Marks.

After that I'm not sure! There's a big race that happens just down the road from my house in July (Santa Cruz Wharf to Wharf) and that would be fun even though I will be way WAY outclassed. I really haven't looked at the calendar past that yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 137  Next