| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:00 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Ran yesterday and according to the weather report it was 27 and felt like 15 with winds at 20 mph. No thanks! I am not running out in that again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:20 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I ran round Hollywood on my treadmill run this week!

I've just entered my first 10k race.
I have a 6 mile race in March & then a 10k in May.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:58 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ugh, guys I haven't been running in a month. And before that it had been a couple of weeks, and even then I hadn't been running regularly since like October? I think?

I like running in the cold, but not when I'm out of shape and its going to suck. Ugh, maybe I'll try to get out there for a bit tomorrow morning. Or go use the treadmills at the school gym? If I go a bit later in the morning I might be able to get one with a tv.... I can't decide what would be worse. Freezing my asparagus off or boring myself to death.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:57 pm 
Married to the wolfman

SL, that's been a constant debate in my head all winter long, and the coldest it even gets here is 20s. I really really loathe the treadmill though so I keep finding myself out there... Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

Today I ran my longest continuous run ever! 10.5 miles! In the rain. It was actually awesome.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:03 pm 
A Bad Person

I wish I could find an event around here! But it's winter, and we've been getting snow dumped on us weekly, so I guess that really limits participation. It'll probably be at least March until I can find something within 50 miles.

I'm taking advantage of the treadmill's static speed to force myself to run at a particular pace. Not that I have a problem keeping a pace, but I'm way slower than I'd like to be so I'm incrementally increasing pace per run using the treadmill. I was really stuck on 10 min/mi last year, but last night I ran a 8:24 mile and then I did a bunch of sprint/walk laps. My legs are pretty destroyed today.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:54 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm running a half marathon tomorrow in -15c with windchill around -20c (that's like 5F and -4F with windchill)

I've run in cold weather plenty, but honestly, -20 is my usual cutoff. If I die tomorrow from turning into a human icicle, it was nice knowing all of you.

sincerely,
studio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:54 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

You can do it Studio! I know you can!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:17 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oh man studio. I shivered reading that. Good luck! Hope you have a great race and you're able to get warm quickly after!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:25 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Good luck studio!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:23 pm 

Well, the conditions were not great (the paths were not clear - it snowed overnight) and really sucked the life out of me. This race turned onto a training run, which is fine, since I'm running another half in March and a full in May and the Ultra June. I'm disappointed in my time but not disappointed I still rocked out a decent weekend long run.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:59 pm 
Dead by dawn

Woohoo! Coach T took my 5k race results from yesterday and plugged them into the McMillan Calculator, a predictive model that extrapolates race results to a bunch of other distances, ranging from 100m to marathon. My 5k time predicts a sub-2 hour half marathon, which is my goal next month, and a 4:11 marathon, which is even better than what I was aiming for in May (4:15.) Somebody thinks I'm exactly where I need to be; all I have to do now is execute.

What marathon are you running in May, studio?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:10 pm 

BMO Vancouver! Will I see you there?!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:19 pm 
Dead by dawn

studio wrote:
BMO Vancouver! Will I see you there?!

Yesss!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:24 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Favourite gadgets for running? I'm thinking of what to do after I finish couch 2 5k, and I think running might be more fun with more stuff. So far, my ideas are a) buy a smartphone so I can use a running app and Spotify, or b) some sort of pulse meter watch thingy, and keep using my mp3-player for music.

So, what do you all have and how do you like it? And if you like running best without a lot of equipment, that's interesting too!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:03 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have an old Garmin Forerunner and I almost never run without it!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:36 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I don't listen to music while running because I like to be aware of traffic and oncoming people, and also because I use the time to think and plan. My only gadget is the cheapest Garmin watch I could find which I love to just keep an eye on distance. I am not in training for anything and only run for fun but it's nice to know how far you've gone and it generally means I push myself harder - 'just another 1/2 mile to make 5' etc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:43 am 
Married to the wolfman

I carry my iPhone which I run strava on for tracking. Also, I do listen to music, but with just one earbud in. Music makes it way better for me, but I've got to also be able to hear what's going on around me or I get freaked out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:26 pm 
Dead by dawn

I have a Garmin 310xt and I run with that, the heart rate strap that goes with it, and my ipod. I skip the music if it's dark out, but most of the routes I run often are fairly safe car-wise and I prefer music for training whenever possible (although I always race without it.) I get a geeky thrill out of poring over my Garmin files and maps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

I have a bluetooth headset that can also play music through the earpiece (I don't think all of them can?) which I use for running along with my phone. Even though it's small, I probably still look like an epic d-bag running while wearing it. But like coldandsleepy said it's better than getting run over by a car you didn't hear, and music does help motivate me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:41 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I carry my phone to track my runs with the Runtastic app, but I stopped listening to music a few months ago. I think my runs are a lot more meditative and seem less difficult without it. I keep my headphones in to hear the apps feedback (stats, and sometimes my husband sends me "cheers") so it's always there if I decide I really want it one day.

I have dreams of buying a GPS watch so I can stop carrying my phone with me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:53 pm 
A Bad Person

monkeytoes wrote:
I have a Garmin 310xt and I run with that, the heart rate strap that goes with it, and my ipod. I skip the music if it's dark out, but most of the routes I run often are fairly safe car-wise and I prefer music for training whenever possible (although I always race without it.) I get a geeky thrill out of poring over my Garmin files and maps.

Ugh, I looked up that Garmin 310XT and it looks awesome and now I want one! I'm probably way past due to stop running with a phone in my sweaty pocket and I could use it for biking and indoors.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:31 pm 
Dead by dawn

brian wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Ugh, I looked up that Garmin 310XT and it looks awesome and now I want one! I'm probably way past due to stop running with a phone in my sweaty pocket and I could use it for biking and indoors.

I like it a lot. I have the cadence sensor for it on both of my bikes. I really want the newer triathlon watch, the 910xt, because it has swim metrics capability too, which the 310xt lacks. Alas, I lack a job at the moment...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:13 am 
Saggy Butt

I want a 910 too! I have the 405 and love it for tracking pace, distance and intervals. I don't listen to music when running.My husband just upgraded from the 305 to a 220 which looks super fancy but he also just found out he has a stress fracture so he won't be using it for awhile. i know lots of people who really like the simplest one, the 110 i think? Love me some Garmin!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:41 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

After almost a month of break due to cold, family issues, and laziness, yesterday I went running again, 55 minutes! I was running really really slowly I guess because normally in 55 minutes I'd do 9 km and yesterday I think I did 7 or so, but still, yay!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:10 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I think I've pretty much decided on a smartphone, I really want to be able to use Spotify. The main negative I've seen about RunKeeper is that the GPS doesn't always work very well, but I don't mind using times instead of distances for now. It will have to wait until I start working though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 137  Next