| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 139  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:58 pm 
Chip Strong

I started running again! Was pleased to discover I hadn't lost much in terms of cardiovascular fitness, but oh my forking god, do my calves feel like bricks while I'm running.

My plan is to stick to 3 miles 3x a week for the next month or so, then go to 4x and build mileage a month or so later. I'm definitely doing another half this year, and am thinking about maybe doing the Seattle Marathon? I don't know, I'm almost starting from scratch, so a marathon in just over 9 months is probably a bit ambitious, but I think having a long term goal to focus on will help a lot with all that's going on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:46 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My goal this year has been to get seriously back into running. I decided I wanted to run 1000 miles this year, which requires doing about 20 miles a week to keep pace. So far this year, I've been able to keep to schedule on where I should be for the year in terms of mileage. While I know having this number isn't exactly rational, I do find it keeps me motivated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:41 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

That's interesting, Leonardo. How many times a week do you run? Do you split it evenly or do some longer and some shorter runs?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:30 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm so excited for my run later. The weather is much better than it has been and a colleague from work is picking me up to drive to a lake so we can run round the lake and along the canal. I normally run all the same boring unscenic routes round my house on my own, and I run much better with a partner, so I'm really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:41 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I live in Boston and there's been snow/ice on the ground forever so I haven't been running, but I was on vacation in California last week and got to run three times!
1) In Berkeley, it was pouring rain and my husband had to literally shove me out the door
2) In LA, I met up with a friend and we ran Runyon Canyon, where there's this horrendous uphill mile but you get to the top and have an amazing view
3) In San Diego, along the water!

Now I'm back to snow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:32 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

A colleague from work convinced me to run a half marathon this Sunday... It will be my 4th half marathon in total and the first one after 3 years... I'm already nervous :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Dave the cat, have you heard of November Project? I know it's snowy & icy but it's SO much more fun to run/exercise with other people when it's like this out. I go a lot (but have missed monday & today due to a shoulder thing and knowing that part of the workout for these days involves shoulder stuff) and it's a lot of fun!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:10 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

The stress reaction in my left leg is back. I was finally back up to the mileage I was at before I was forced to take a break, too. I'm so frustrated and I'm really sick of starting and stopping. This will be my 4th break due to this chronic injury ain year and I still don't know what the underlying cause is. Just resting isn't working. I'm taking the supplements my doctor recommended, working on my form, and even trying to lose weight to put less stresson my body. I don't know what to do at this point.

Maybe I'm not supposed to be a runner.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:40 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm sorry Nebraskalaska, that sounds really frustrating. :(

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:45 am 
Not NOT A Furry

lillianp, I have heard of November Project but I'm kind of intimidated by it so I haven't been, and also the schedule isn't 100% convenient for me. (also I'm not into the rah-rah teamwork aspect that I think it involves - correct me if I'm wrong!) Someone from work goes and also another vegan runner I know. I would be interested in trying it if I could meet up with you! When are you going again? (should we PM about this?)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:51 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Nice little run last night, about 40 minutes, and it was colder than I expected! I also run two loops much faster than I would normally do, and it wasn't so bad, but I had to take a walking break before the next loop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:55 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I am not training for anything right now, just running a few times a week and mostly on the treadmill because I have developed an inordinate sense of my own fragility in this very wintery winter. I am going to miss the Olympics so much next week! I usually watch Newsworld or listen to a book when I am on the treadmill but at my gym they have replaced Newsworld with constant Olympics coverage and it's been great.

[Just got an email that Canadian women hockey team won gold!]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:38 pm 
Dead by dawn

I'm bummed out right now. This was supposed to be my year to go sub-2 in a half, finally. My friend E and I are signed up for a flat, fast course on 3/8 with the same goal. Our teammate P, who is a ~1:40ish half marathoner offered to sign up and pace us so it should have been a total no-brainer. Then my piriformus started giving me grief about three weeks ago. That's gotten better, but my right quads got messed up by it and I'm on a scaled back training plan at this point. I was thinking to hell with it, I was just going to go for it. E is a pretty tough lady and we keep each other working hard at team track nights so I figured she'd pull me through and I'd worry about hurting later. Then she messaged me this morning that she's doubtful about running on the 8th at all because she passed out and had a seizure during a run last week and has been suffering a bunch of yucky side effects ever since. I guess this just isn't our race and it has to be OK. She will have other opportunities this year to go sub-2 and I have bigger and better things to move on to, but it sucks (and, of course, I'm worried about E because what happened was really scary and continues to be scary because they're not sure what's going on yet.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:32 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

That's super frustrating and also scary monkeytoes.
Anyway I used to train to achieve marks and it did not worked for me, it was too much pressure, I suffer from a lot of injuries, burnouts and bad luck by getting sick 2 days before the competitions.

What I did to overcome that was first telling my coaches that to hell with goals... I just train hard but do not prepare myself for any specific mark. Second thing that really helped me enjoy running and racing is to realize that whatever I do during the race, unless is something really really stupid, it won't affect the result at all. What matters in the race is what I've been doing for the past months. Wanting to do a perfect race in order to achieve a certain mark is just not for me, I can't handle that much stress.

By the way tomorrow is my half marathon... this time I've absolutely no idea on how it will go

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:47 pm 
Dead by dawn

Yeah, I get you worldrunner. For me it's always been training driving those race goals and race goals in turn driving training. And so far it's worked. It's a bummer that it may not work out this time but them's the breaks. Good luck tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:49 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I've been thinking about you wanting to go under the 2 hours on the half...
if you are not preparing specifically for a half ironman or a marathon now, if I were you I would talk with my coach and ask him to see if it would be a good idea to train me specifically for 5000m or even 1500m for a month or two.
With you physical condition, once you have one or two 5k around 25minutes, the 2 hours on the half should become a piece of cake.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:03 am 
Saggy Butt

Sorry to hear about the setbacks, nebraska and monkeytoes. I'm also injured again and getting really frustrated. I haven't run in 8 days and it sucks but i think i feel worse for my husband! I'm not super fun to be around right now AND he has a stress fracture. We were supposed to run a 28km race today but instead just took the dog and walked the shortest distance offered (7km).

nebraska, I don't think you're not meant to be a runner! Not if you love it. My recurring and mysterious injury last year took sooo long to sort out that i started having a lot of doubts about myself as a runner too. It's the worst. Have you had an mri? Sounds like there might be some confusion about what your injury really is and what's caused it.

monkeytoes, i hope your friend is ok. That sounds terrifying. Hope you're back to healthy running and goal crushing soon! Do you have another shot at breaking 2 this year?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:56 am 
Dead by dawn

worldrunner79 wrote:
I've been thinking about you wanting to go under the 2 hours on the half...
if you are not preparing specifically for a half ironman or a marathon now, if I were you I would talk with my coach and ask him to see if it would be a good idea to train me specifically for 5000m or even 1500m for a month or two.
With you physical condition, once you have one or two 5k around 25minutes, the 2 hours on the half should become a piece of cake.

Yeah, I actually just did a 5k in 25 and change and the McMillan pace predictor gives me a 1:59 half based on that. I know that, uninjured, I am capable of it. If this race isn't the one, it will have to wait until next year though, because I'm preparing for a marathon and then a full Iron. Speed work will still be part of the plan, but it can't be the focus. No worries. Next year I can play around all year with half-marathon and shorter distances if that's what I want to do.

inceptisol wrote:
monkeytoes, i hope your friend is ok. That sounds terrifying. Hope you're back to healthy running and goal crushing soon! Do you have another shot at breaking 2 this year?

Nope, but I'm OK with it. It'll still be there next year. E should know more about what's going on with her by Wednesday. I'm not sure what the best case scenario is in terms of what caused the seizure, but I'm hoping it's as un-serious as it can be.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:15 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

How to start?...
I still do not know why but since the June 2013 I started to run faster. My previous PB in the Half Marathon was 1:19:26 in Goteborg 2007, which I still think is a pretty good time. So today I was hoping to run a PB close to 1:18... or maybe 1:17 if I was inspired and everything was perfect during the race.
So today I started the race and after 2km I was already on the 6th position. At the 6th km I caught the group with the 3rd, 4th and 5th place and started to lead that group of runners. At the 10th km only one of them was keeping up with me, and we continued running together until the 20.6 where he increased the speed and I could not follow anymore. The last 100m I started to sprint again hoping to catch him but I couldn't. I finished in 4th place, 3 seconds behind the 3rd but with a new PB of 1:14:57.03.

Not even in my dreams I ever expected to run that fast.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:21 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've taken most of this crappy winter off from running, but then agreed to run a leg in a marathon relay first weekend of June. I promptly headed outside to try to start with a 3 mile run to assess my fitness level and instead had a horrible coughing fit. Apparently I have bronchitis. Yay! Hopefully it clears soon.

Sorry to hear about your friend Monkey.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:58 pm 
Dead by dawn

worldrunner, you are smokin' fast!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:26 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Most of the ice on the ground melted this weekend so I ran both days - with my dog!! (I had only taken her one other time, on her 1st birthday in January) She's a natural. We ran 5 miles each day!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:26 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Went for a short run in the sunshine yesterday, so nice!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:40 am 
Bathes in Braggs

monkeytoes wrote:
worldrunner, you are smokin' fast!

I agree! Congratulations!

I ran outside twice last week (Friday and Sunday noon) and it was fabulous. Usually I have to run in the early a.m. or evening and it's still dark, cold and icy here, so back to the treadmill this morning. I am still swimming three days, alternating usually.

I decided on the weekend I would do the Bluenose half in May for the first time in a while. It's in my city so I know I will be able to get to it (a lot of uncertainty in my family life right now so I don't want to make any big plans). One of the soccer dads is running too and we run at about the same pace - 1:45 or 1:50, not sure yet - so I may even have someone to run with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:52 pm 
Dead by dawn

Well, my friend is OK. Ish, anyway? They don't really know why at this point, but her body is over-reacting to pain by lowering her blood pressure and pulse so that she passes out. No half marathon for her this weekend, but she's hopeful that she'll be able to PR later this year. My hip/quad thing is good enough at this point that I will definitely run it, but whether or not I will be able to break the 2 hour mark not having run more than 4.5 miles at a clip in the last few weeks, and with no tough chick to drag me along... who knows?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 139  Next