| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:45 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Thank you aelle!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:08 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We'll done amonik. You've done the hardest part. Once you've been running 5k for a few weeks you'll soon find you can increase your distance or pace much more easily. I wouldn't worry too much about easy and tempo runs too much as a beginner and I definitely wouldn't go back to walking. Just slowly increase your distance or time you are running for if that is easier. After you've got your mileage up you can start to work on pace. Happy running.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:53 pm 

Thank you! I tend to overthink a lot of things. I am increasing the distance half a kilometre per week now, it feels about right.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:02 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Thanks everybody for the comments.

Amonik:
The purpose of easy runs is to build the aerobic capacity. There are many ways to test if you are doing an easy run correct, like having your heartbeat between 130 to 150 beats per minute, being able to talk while jogging, or just feeling comfortable during the whole run, once you feel uncomfortable slow down a little, it is always possible to slow down even when your jogging pace becomes slower than your walking pace, it does not matter just keep jogging.
In terms of increasing distance or pace... it really depends on what you enjoy most. Professional athletes usually train distance during the pre-season, pace at the beginning of the season and speed close to the important races. They do it in that way, because they are already very fast, and because they need a lot of endurance to keep up with their pace workouts. As recreational runner it does not matter which order to take, it is more about what your own goals and what you personally enjoy during training.
Just as a rule of thumb do work on your speed or pace while increasing the distance.

If you are doing 3 easy runs a week, try to do one just a little faster, just on the edge or a tiny bit over your comfort zone.

I also recommend to increase the work load for 3 weeks and on the 4th week take it easy. For example if you are planning to increase the distance. Lets say that on week 1 you run 15km, week 2 you run 15.5km, week 3 you go for 17km and on week 4 you run 14.5km.

One thing that I recommend everyone to train, is the running technique. There are a couple of running form exercises that help tons on that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:01 am 

worldrunner79 wrote:
...just feeling comfortable during the whole run...

If you are doing 3 easy runs a week, try to do one just a little faster, just on the edge or a tiny bit over your comfort zone.

This is what I'm not sure of - where is my comfort zone? To me, comfortable means being on the couch with a cuppa, not running around outside in the cold. Does it just mean that I'm not in pain? Not fighting for breath? Or not breathing hard at all? Because if it's the latter, that never happens.

If, as aelle seems to say, it just takes a while to be fit enough that easy runs really feel easy, that's fine by me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:47 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

well, I discover that comfort zone the first time I ran together with my first running coach, who told me to slow down, relax and take it easy while jogging... Because even when I felt like jogging slow I was doing it too fast, stressing a lot and my technique wasn't good.

Probably the right technique will help a lot.
Stand on your toes, relax shoulder, hold arms in a 90 degree angle, swing your arms, feel your wrist slightly touching your hips on every swing, foot parallel to each other. (maybe I'm still missing something right now but I think those are the basic pointers)

You can try to focus on one of those pointers on each run, focusing on all my drive you crazy.
Also if wherever you run is a place with grass, dirt or any soft surface instead of running the whole time non stop, you might want to stop, gain your breath and run as fast as you can while being relax for some 20 to 40 meters, walk gain your breath again and repeat that for 5 times.

You might want to look for videos of Bernard Lagat or Meseret Defar running they both have a very good style, look how effortless they seem to be running(don't pay much attention at their last laps, on those laps is not effortless anymore)
Running technique is far more important than what most people think. Ask any professional runner (which all of them have incredible endurance) to run 5km using Phoebe's from Friends Technique and they'll have to stop after 3km completely tired and probably injured too.

Easy runs should feel like walking or even easier, at least for the first 2/3 of the run. If you have to run less or slower that's ok, one day a week you might push yourself a little bit. Other days better focus on doing it correctly than in reaching certain pace or distance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:03 am 

I think I understand a little better now. I will definitely keep these points in mind!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:23 am 

Just back from a 6 miles sport relief race. I got fourth! But only because the field was so small! Oh and my wonderful boyfriend paced me instead of going out to win it. I'm pleased with my time though and it puts me on track to get my 10k target in my first 10k race in May.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:57 am 
Saggy Butt

Great running, everyone!

After a few weeks of frustratingly slow doctor's appointments, I finally have a diagnosis for my shin pain - stress reaction. We're in the same boat it seems, nebraska! You probably mentioned it before but have you had an mri? My doc could see pretty clearly from the mri that the bone wasn't actually fractured yet but close to it. He seems confident anyway. So 6 weeks off running. No marathon next month and not sure about the half I'm supposed to run. The half may be my first run back. First thing the doc did was send me for blood work to check my vitamin D level which was pretty low. He said this is really common. Guess it's no coincidence that my husband and I both developed stress fractures at the same time cause we have the same diet and started intense training at the same time. The weather has been really nice here and i'm pretty pissed off that i can't run!

Moral of the story: make sure your vitamin D isn't low!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:46 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

My sincere condolences, inceptistol. I know how frustrating stress reaction/fracture can be, and it really sucks when you have to miss a race. I hope you can still run your half, but if you're coming back from 6 weeks off you're going to want to take it really slow and go by the 10% rule.

Last Friday I got a bone scan (no MRI...yet). The doctor at the imaging center told me he couldn't see a fracture and that I should be fine to run, but I'm going into my sports medicine doctor tomorrow for further instruction, which might include PT or some running analysis.

However, yesterday I had an awesome running breakthrough. I tried the 180 cadence thing with a metronome and I feel like it made such a big difference in my form. I always thought I was taking really short steps and was doing good at landing on my midfoot, but I now realize I wasn't at all. It really did feel like a lot less impact on my body, and I didn't have any post-run pain yesterday. I'm pretty excited about this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:58 pm 
A Bad Person

My first 5K of the season is this weekend! Hopefully it'll be at least dry.

Last year, I focused on going longer distances. Now that I know I'm not into it, I'm going to work on running faster rather than longer. I've been kind of stuck on a 10 1/2 minute mile pace. Over the winter, I've been limited to a treadmill and a very short (1/13th mile) indoor track. Tuesday, I managed to run 5K in less than 30 minutes. I feel pretty good about that and my chances of repeating it this weekend.

It's been kind of hard for me to admit that I'm proud of a sub-10 minute mile because I used to run them in less than 7. But I'm not working out as often as I was when I was enlisted, so I'm not going to beat myself up too much over it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:01 pm 

Good luck with your race Brian.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:45 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Good luck Brian!

I went for my first run in 1.5 months yesterday. I went my usual 5 mile route but it was HARD. I took a few walk breaks, but in the end I managed to finish. I know my running will come back, it's just so hard at the start of spring after being lazy all winter.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I did my first run in my new shoes today! They're all sorts of awesome. Waaay lighter than my old ones, and so much easier for me to find my stride with. Plus, they have purple on them, which makes them amazing by default. Cause purple.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:19 pm 

I have shin splints. I'm getting insoles (they'll be ready on Thursday), and am taking it easy. I need to get some better everyday shoes though, the ones I wear now have no cushioning at all and are really uncomfortable when my shins are sore. I'm not running this week, will go for some bike rides instead and possibly swimming.

Eta: Show me your shoes! I love purple!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:41 pm 
A Bad Person

Oh hey, I forgot to update about that 5K! I underestimated the hills and cold, so I came in at 31 something. Oh well.

Next one is in a month. May 3rd is the Moonlight Marathon, which sounds fun, but my friends and I are not distance runners. I wanted to do the 6.55 mile route, but they're not ready (and neither am I, really) so we settled for the 5K. It won't even be dark, but oh well. It's still a fun run through the cemetery.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:39 am 

Brian: Cold as in you had a cold or was it cold outside? When I read about your times and goals I start to think that my goal of running a 30 minute 5 k in September is ridiculous. I mean, you've been running for years, right? I'm a short asthmatic novice (currently with shin splints).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:31 am 
A Bad Person

Cold as in cold weather! It was about 40 deg F outside. I've been running in a 70 something gym all winter, with zero incline.

I've been running regularly since 2004 but there was a solid year or so in there where I just stopped, and I've taken numerous winter breaks. I also weigh about 50 pounds more than I did when I was running sub 7 minute miles. I couldn't run a half marathon back then either, but I can't deny that I let my age catch up with me.

I think you can still achieve your goal, asthmatic short person with shin splints that you are. September is a long way away. Run as often as you can. I'm currently only running twice a week, and I'm alternating long runs (well, 3 mile runs) with shorter, faster paced runs. Ideally, I'd be running every other day. It takes discipline, but the more often you run, the better you get at it.

Then, figure out what you need to work on. If you're not up to 5K, that should be your first goal. Once you've run 5K, start tracking your times and how you feel. If it takes you 45 minutes to run a 5K, then you're at 9min/K pace, so maybe on your next fast run, you shoot for 2Ks at a 8:30min/K pace. And then on your next long run, you run 5.5Ks without losing your 9min/K pace. Just keep pushing yourself on distance and speed in small increments.

But, above all, don't run if you're hurt. You've got shin splints now. You should not be running. Do another cardio exercise though. A lot of people, myself included, mix in cycling with running. If you can get to a pool, swimming laps is a great workout. Seriously, the first time I actually swam laps and not just goofed around in a pool, I was dying. But running with shin splints just makes them worse, so don't do that. I'm personally very macho when it comes to running in pain and it's never, ever, ever a good idea and I frequently regret it.

And if you don't make it under 30 minutes by September, don't beat yourself up. When running's not fun because you feel like a disappointment, it makes it hard to get motivated for the next run. It's great to have goals, but don't let them become a burden. I didn't hit my goal on this run. Oh well! There's always another 5K.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:44 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Hi all! A new member here. A devoted runner (8 full marathons, a few halves, plenty of 5 and 10K). Glad to see so many runners around.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:18 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Hi PAdude, welcome! Have you been veg*n (vegan or vegetarian) through all of that running? - just curious.

I have been running for about 16 years but I rarely do races/organized runs. Mostly I just run :-) I am doing a half in May though.

amonik, I agree with brian about resting the shin splints. Running in the pool with a belt is another option. I have bright purple shoes (Saucony Kinvaras) that I love but the other pair I am working in now are brilliant yellow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:08 am 
Married to the wolfman

Short, somewhat fat* 30 year old lady here. I started around a 30 minute 5k (that I could barely finish) in the fall and now I'm around 23:30.

A 30 minute 5k is within the reach of most people with training! Assuming you're not injured. (Of course you have to deal with that first!) It's not an unrealistic goal!

* I'm the upper end of average for my height. I think my BMI may even be "normal" and not overweight now. For a distance runner this makes me unusually "huge."

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:26 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I ran a mile in under 6 minutes last night. I don't know if that's super fast but it was hard to do and I'm happy I could do it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:54 pm 

Oh, I'm not running right now. I swam today and will probably ride my bike this weekend. I've also started stretching the front of my legs (who knew there was muscle there? I thought it was just skin and bone (and fat)). I'm hoping the insoles and maybe new shoes will help keep it from happening again. I've been reading a blog by a middle-aged marathoner who's got two stress fractures from overtraining, so I'm good and scared :-D

ETA: fupapack, I think you're really fast! And I think you're cool for doing hard things you want to do.
coldandsleepy: That's reassuring! I'm probably a little heavier than you (definitely what they call overweight), but I have months to prepare, so I'll keep the 30 minute goal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:27 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Fupapack that's fast :)

Amonik: I do not know any runner who has not suffer from shin splints, and actually is something that all runners I know have learned to live with until at some point a new runner comes with that problem and we just realize that we do not have it anymore.
Ice massage helped me. I remembered taking couple of times a day an ice cube and massage the area with it until the ice cube melted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:47 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Arisaig wrote:
Hi PAdude, welcome! Have you been veg*n (vegan or vegetarian) through all of that running? - just curious.

I have been running for about 16 years but I rarely do races/organized runs. Mostly I just run :-) I am doing a half in May though.

amonik, I agree with brian about resting the shin splints. Running in the pool with a belt is another option. I have bright purple shoes (Saucony Kinvaras) that I love but the other pair I am working in now are brilliant yellow.

Yes, all the time. Vegetarian +dairy at first and full vegan in the last 3+ years. Not wanting to brag or anything but I do high mileage and it is all fueled by a vegan diet now. So don't let anyone tell you it's not possible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 135  Next