| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 127  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

yay! i've always wanted to do a marathon but I've never really set up a goal for one. I heard if you can run 10 miles you could probably run 26.2. I think the longest I've ever ran was around 7 miles though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:50 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

fupapack wrote:
yay! i've always wanted to do a marathon but I've never really set up a goal for one. I heard if you can run 10 miles you could probably run 26.2. I think the longest I've ever ran was around 7 miles though.

I would slightly amend this statement and say that if you can run 10 miles, you can train to run 26.2.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

How long is the training for a marathon?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:53 pm 
Married to the wolfman

12-18 weeks is pretty common for a marathon training plan, depending on where you're starting from.

I'm still doing the one race a month thing, but really waffling about my May race. For a while now, I've been planning to do a half marathon that's just down the street from me. Registration is filling up and if I'm going to sign up to, I really need to. But I just... am not sure I want to do it. It's silly really, I've been running greater than HM distance at least once a week for like a month and a half now, and I like running that far. But the idea of racing that far fills me with a sense of dread. (Which is weird because I love racing... see: racing once a month.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:11 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

fupapack wrote:
How long is the training for a marathon?

18 weeks seems to be the magic number that programs for novice as well as for seasoned runners use. There are shorter and longer programs. Hal Higdon's webpage is a good place to start.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:21 am 
Saggy Butt

Congrats, Brian!
Welcome, PAdude!
amonik, don't run on shin splints! It could turn into a fracture and then you'll be stuck jealously reading about everyone else's running while you heal.
coldandsleepy, you can do a half! Will it make you feel less nervous to know that I completely embarrassed myself at my first half by stopping at what turned out to not be the finish line? And everyone around had to yell at me to keep running?

Nebraskalaska wrote:
My sincere condolences, inceptistol. I know how frustrating stress reaction/fracture can be, and it really sucks when you have to miss a race. I hope you can still run your half, but if you're coming back from 6 weeks off you're going to want to take it really slow and go by the 10% rule.

Thanks. I know I'll have to start back slowly but I'm kind of clinging desperately to the half just to avoid complete depression. I hope your sports doc can help you.

PAdude wrote:
I would slightly amend this statement and say that if you can run 10 miles, you can train to run 26.2.

Yes! There's a world of difference between 10 miles and 26. Even between 20 miles and 26.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:05 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks for the tips.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:30 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I had a few running injuries during my years of running and I can tell you that shin splints were the second worst I had in terms of pain. +1 to not running on them. If they persist after taking time off, consider physical therapy. There is probably some strengthening (and stretching) you need to do. It's a painful one but at least easily curable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:28 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

You guys should I sign up for a 5k? Currently running about 30 miles a week (5 days) on a treadmill (because traffic around me sucks and mildly arthritic knees) averaging 8:30/mi. It should be totally doable, right?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:40 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

zwingtip, it sounds like it's absolutely do-able for you!

I officially started my half training this week. Still no leg pain!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

zwingtip you could definitely do a 5K!

Nebraskalaska so glad to hear that you are back at HM training!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:32 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

zwingtip wrote:
You guys should I sign up for a 5k? Currently running about 30 miles a week (5 days) on a treadmill (because traffic around me sucks and mildly arthritic knees) averaging 8:30/mi. It should be totally doable, right?

Yep. I'd add some speed work (intervals) once a week. Gradually.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:35 am 
Nailed to the V

I got my insoles yesterday and some advice about shoes. When I tried the insoles I ran with one of my old shoes (for extreme overpronators) and one new one for mild pronators. My old shoe felt like a plank! I'm going to wait a while longer to run, but I think I'm going to get new shoes. The insole guy (I don't know what his title would be in English, but he makes all sorts of orthopedic soles, wrist supports etc) thought I should have a neutral shoe or possibly one for mild pronators. This makes me very happy because there are so many more neutral shoes to choose from than extreme stability shoes!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:38 am 
Nailed to the V

zwingtip wrote:

Yes! A lot of people seem to sign up for one as soon as they can run 5k without stopping, you'll do great! I've signed up for one and I run a kilometre in the time you run a mile.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:18 am 
Married to the wolfman

Zwingtip, you can do it!!

Many people find the transition from treadmill to outdoors* jarring, so if you get a chance to try the distance outdoors before your race, that would probably be helpful. But mileage wise, lots of people run 5ks on less than 30 mi/wk so you are in a good place there!

* the opposite is true too... I run 45 mi/wk outdoors and can barely get through a mile on the treadmill.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:40 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I've been doing the same boring 3-4 miles 3-4 days a week for years, and am suddenly inspired to do something different! I started with a speed workout on a track today. I just randomly decided to sprint 200/walk 200 for like 45 mins. (I have never been fast and my sprint these days is probably like a 7-8 minute mile pace...) My problem is that I hate too much structure in my exercise, so I don't want to follow some sort of long term plan, I just want to go out and do what I feel like on any given day. Today felt awesome though and I am suddenly excited about running again, so yay!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:48 am 
Nailed to the V

Yay, moo!

I got new shoes, Asics gel cumulus in neon yellow and green. They're very soft and cushy and I look forward to trying them (but I'm going to wait - I have a cold now).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:32 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Running last night! I love the new daylight times so I can run after work again. It wasn't bad at all even though I have a slightly strained quad, but I did run much slower than normal. I am noticing that the older I get, the more easily I injure myself... I had never ever gotten muscle strains, even just two years ago! *sadface*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

I did my first trail run today. I had no idea how hard it would be! I probably only ran a third of the trail, walked the rest and even had to stop and sit down once because my legs were shaking. I'm gonna do it again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:41 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I squeaked into the top 100 in a 10k with 1300 participants today (99th!), and PR'd in just under 48 minutes. This week has been hellish due to the impending due date of my thesis (a week from today! But who's counting!), my asparagus has been dragging on every run, and I was really just concerned about finishing today. So I am so happy and relieved.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:53 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

That's awesome C&S! Wtg!

I really want to go for a run today but it's snowing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:55 pm 
Chip Strong

coldandsleepy wrote:
I squeaked into the top 100 in a 10k with 1300 participants today (99th!), and PR'd in just under 48 minutes. This week has been hellish due to the impending due date of my thesis (a week from today! But who's counting!), my asparagus has been dragging on every run, and I was really just concerned about finishing today. So I am so happy and relieved.

Awesome time, coldandsleepy! Congratulations on the PR!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 pm 
Dead by dawn

Congrats, c&s! You're going to need to change your name to coldandspeedy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:04 am 
Nailed to the V

That's great, coldandsleepy! Will you be changing your name to Dr Coldandspeedy or Coldandspeedy, Master of something?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:49 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I decided to sign up for some races since I've been woefully unmotivated lately:

May 4th- 5k
May 25th-5k
June 7th - 10k
June 29th-10k
July 27th- 10k
Either August or September- HM, still need to find one!
Will also probably sign up for a 10k in whatever month I don't do the HM in and another in October.

Then of course the marathon that I signed up for a few weeks ago on a whim on November 30th.

And now that I have spent quite a bit of money I will now be motivated to run so I don't waste the registration fees haha

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 127  Next