| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:43 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I joined a training group today, put together by the organisers of the race I'm running in September (my first). On the one hand, it was great, because I ran farther and faster than ever, and everyone was really nice. On the other hand, it sucked. We ran a distance workout in three groups. I was in the slowest group, and I was the slowest runner in the slowest group. The others had to stop and wait for me a couple of times, the coach gave me a lot of extra encouragement - and emotionally I was 14 and back in P.E. Basically, I suck at not comparing myself to other people. So now I feel bad because I'm slow, and ridiculous because I feel bad - because this was my best run ever and I should be proud.

Conclusion: I'll go back to running alone and try to push myself a little more, I can apparently do more than I thought.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:25 pm 
Chip Strong

Don't feel bad, amonik! I would suggest you try and keep running with the group plus run alone as well. I know I need the mix of both. My running buddies have been such a great source for advice, lent an ear to my running-related (and not) freak outs, pushed me when I needed it and have become trusted friends. There is something so bonding about running with others. Runners "get" each other.

Here's the thing about running (and life): there is always going to be runners out there who are slower than you and always going runners who are faster than you. There are ultra runners for whom your longest run is a tiny blip in their mileage but also lots of people who are in awe of the distance of your shortest run. Even world records get broken.

I have struggles with comparing myself with others, too, so I totally understand. Here's a little story for you: one half marathon I ran I was really trying to break 2 hours. I trained hard and felt good. Race day I crossed the finish line in 2:00:05. Five seconds! I cried at the finish of that race. I felt terrible and then I felt terrible that I felt terrible. But then I looked around I saw people hugging each other, hi-5ing and basking in the after race glow and they had times that were both slower and faster than mine. They came in all sizes and ages and all had different experiences. It reminded me that I love running and that I do it for a lot of reasons, not just for time goals. Running is fun and badass and I tried to remember that what I had just achieved was fun and badass, even if I didn't hit my time goal that race. It was a real lightbulb moment for me. I try and think of that race when I'm feeling down on myself.

Congratulations of your personal best for both pace and distance! That's awesome! I hope that you can feel comfortable running in a group - you have no reason to feel bad. I bet they were happy to have you join. Maybe you can talk to the coach about your feelings? Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:25 pm 
Dead by dawn

Yes, don't feel bad amonik! I couldn't even run a mile when I joined my triathlon team and everyone was SO supportive. I would never have gotten as far as I have without them. Usually on track nights, there are two main workouts: the regular workout and a modified workout for people who are racing the following weekend or recovering from a race. For the first four months or so there were three workouts: regular, racing/recovering, and mine. It was extremely humbling, but I stuck it out and eventually started doing the regular workout. Now there are still load of people on the team who are faster than me, but you learn to compare yourself with people in a more constructive way (I marvel at some of the fast people, but I only measure myself against the people who are in my group or just a little bit ahead of me, so that I am inspired rather than discouraged.) I think spinning being the slowest one in the group as "character building" instead of "humiliating" was helpful to me!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:46 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Chickpea wrote:
Hey Peanut,

Congratulations on completing the C25K!

I like to know I can run more than the distance I am racing. It helps me psychologically to know I can do more than I am asking of myself in the race. So for my 6 mile race I did a longest run of 7 miles.

It can be helpful to do some shorter faster runs and longer slower ones rather than just running 5k each time you go out. However I wouldn't worry too much about it. When I first got to 5k I stayed at that distance for quite a while until it felt easier & I was ready to run further.

Also I would not run for at least a day or two before your race to make sure your legs are fresh. Hope you enjoy it.

That's a great idea, I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:59 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've been off running for the most part for the last couple months due to a strained back but it's getting slowly better so I did a 16 minute (including 2 minute warm up and 1.5 minute cool down) speed work on the treadmill! I ran fast for a minute and slow for a minute (ranging between 10:50 minute miles and 7:30 minute miles) and it was fun for a treadmill. I'm not sure how to do the speed work precisely enough off treadmills although I prefer running outside, so tips are welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:45 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Is a two week taper a good idea for my first half marathon?

My schedule has me doing a 12 mile run followed by a 6 day taper, but the Race For the Animals 5/10k is happening one week before my race. I accidentally wound up one week ahead of schedule, so I thought I'd do my 12 miler two weeks before the race, and the 10k the week before. My only other concern is that I'm training for a very flat half and the Race for the Animals is apparently very hilly and with lots of stairs (whyyy?).

Anyway, other than the hills I think it's an okay idea. Any reason I shouldn't? I could do the 5k if that seems more reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:55 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

peanut wrote:
Actually all of those things sound great, but ultimately I guess I want to run longer distances. Maybe run a half-marathon next year. Really, it's just the next few weeks before my 5k that seem the most daunting, at least without having a specific program to follow.

Two weeks before a 5km race for someone who is training 3 times a week:

Week 1

Training session 1:
10min easy running
5 times: 2 minutes running fast and 2 minutes running very easy
5 min easy running

Training session 2:
4km easy running

Training session 3:
7km easy running

Week 2

Training session 1:
5 min easy running
8 times 30seconds(as fast as you would like to run the race) and 1min 30 seconds easy running
5 min easy

Training session 2:
3km easy running
rest a couple of minutes
400m( a little faster than what you expect to run the race)
10 times running 50m fast and return walking

Race:
(after 200m slow down a lot, close your eyes for a second, take a deep breath, forget about all the other runners, and concentrate on running comfortable with a nice technique)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:04 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So my Garmin FR 70 band broke a few weeks ago, and I've been trying to decide what to do. You can't replace the band, so it's pretty much useless now. The battery died shortly before this happened (I actually grabbed it off my dresser to go get the battery replaced and noticed the place it had been wearing was now an actual break..... booo), and I've been putting off getting it replaced. I could duck tape the crepe out of it and probably get a few more months out of it before the tiny thread holding it together gives, but that sounds irritating.

I was looking at running watches on Amazon, and the super fancy FR 310XT (that has replacement bands! so if this happens again it would still be usable!) is now listed at $150ish.... omg it's so pretty and I want it but I should probably not be dropping so much money right now.

This is totally a runner's PDGEGAWET problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:14 pm 
Dead by dawn

If it helps (or you know, doesn't help...) I do rather like my 310xt.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Totally helped!

I'd forgotten I had some Amazon credit from selling back a textbook.... so I may have just bought it since it only ended up being like $85 out of pocket, and that's basically free compared to the full prize, right? heh

It's not suppose to be delivered until next Wednesday, but I had it shipped to my parents house because I don't want it getting left outside my apartment building, so I won't even get to play with it till next weekend! *pouts*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:19 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Yay! I went running yesterday because the weather was too good not to, and I did two loops! This is far far from my best running form, but it's getting there. And today I signed up for the company run in mid July. It's "only" 6.4 km, and I did it once two years ago already, but at least now I have a goal to train towards. Maybe I can beat my time from two years ago! (which was very very good, for me)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:12 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Simply_Love wrote:
I'd forgotten I had some Amazon credit from selling back a textbook.... so I may have just bought it since it only ended up being like $85 out of pocket, and that's basically free compared to the full prize, right? heh

Totally my kinda thinking!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:37 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Had a nice 6 mile run today. Well, it was nice except for my husband's really bad allergy attack half way through, but we ditched the nature trail and ran back home on the pavement and all was well.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:05 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

worldrunner79 wrote:
peanut wrote:
Actually all of those things sound great, but ultimately I guess I want to run longer distances. Maybe run a half-marathon next year. Really, it's just the next few weeks before my 5k that seem the most daunting, at least without having a specific program to follow.

Two weeks before a 5km race for someone who is training 3 times a week:

Week 1

Training session 1:
10min easy running
5 times: 2 minutes running fast and 2 minutes running very easy
5 min easy running

Training session 2:
4km easy running

Training session 3:
7km easy running

Week 2

Training session 1:
5 min easy running
8 times 30seconds(as fast as you would like to run the race) and 1min 30 seconds easy running
5 min easy

Training session 2:
3km easy running
rest a couple of minutes
400m( a little faster than what you expect to run the race)
10 times running 50m fast and return walking

Race:
(after 200m slow down a lot, close your eyes for a second, take a deep breath, forget about all the other runners, and concentrate on running comfortable with a nice technique)

Oh wow, thanks so much for your help!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:32 am 
Dead by dawn

Meb will be pacing the 1:30 group at the San Diego half marathon on 6/1. Too bad I can't go to San Diego to run that one. (And that I'm not a 1:30 half marathoner, of course!)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:06 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Well, hell. I'm already thinking about doing a full marathon (something I swore I'd never do when I started training for my half, ha). I'm eyeing Big Sur next year. Registration is about a week after I finish my half, so I figure I'll really know by then if I want to commit.

I feel totally crazy for wanting to do this, but I just can't get it out of my head.

Also, my hydration belt arrived today and it was running nerd Christmas at my house.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ha! I know how you feel Nebraskalaska. My new Garmin is getting here tomorrow, and I pretty much feel like a five year old on Christmas Eve right now.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:23 am 
Chip Strong

Marathon tomorroooowwww! (Aieeeee!)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:58 am 

Good luck Studio!!!

Nebraskalaska - go for it!! I swore I'd never run a marathon either, and I'm not sure I'd ever run another one, but I'm so glad I did it at least once!

I had a nice 7.25 mile run today, which is my longest run so far in 2014. It was kind of rainy and windy out so the running trail was pretty empty. It was fantastic!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:45 pm 
Dead by dawn

studio wrote:
Marathon tomorroooowwww! (Aieeeee!)

Good luck! I'd look for you out there if I had the first idea of who I was looking for! What's your bib number/starting corral? I'm 6062, in the grey corral.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:55 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Good luck studio and monkeytoes!

I've been running the course for my upcoming HM (two weeks from tomorrow!) pretty much any chance I can get. The first couple of times I was like OH shiitake SO MANY HILLS but today I was so zen about it, feel like I'm finally getting the hang of the course. It is upsies downsies the whole time, but the last big uphill is probably around, I dunno, mile 11? So the last few miles are pretty smooth sailing.

My BFF is visiting and I was telling her about how I'm running this HM next month and she was like oh, have you run that distance yet? And I was like actually my long run has been holding steady around 17 miles for like two months now. And she was like, soooo you know that's like a half marathon and THEN a 5k, right? You're gonna be okay. And I was like oh... yeah... when you put it that way, maybe?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:31 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Lobsteriffic, I really think I'm going to! The only thing that makes me nervous is the amount of weekday training involved, but I really feel like I need to do at least one. The training is only a few months of my life, and will i(n all likelihood) be absolutely worth it.

We've probably talked about this before, but what gels does everyone like? I started experimenting with today and tried an orange Vega. I seriously thought I was going to vomit. Is there anything decent out there?

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:41 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah, gels make me feel sick. The only ones I've ever been able to stomach swallowing are the Gu chocolate and vanilla. The flavor+texture combo of the others make me dry heave.

I usually stick to chews. I really like the Gu watermelon, strawberry, and orange flavors. Clif has shot blocks (which I think are higher in calorie/oz, which I would prefer since it's less to try to eat while running), but I haven't tried those yet.

Have fun tomorrow studio and mtoes!

coldandsleepy: considering my longest run before both my HM was 10mi, you're definitely majorly prepared! It's only recommended to run about 20mi in training before a marathon, so for a half that's definitely far enough! Since your long runs have been so high, be sure to taper the next two weeks so your legs are fresh on race day :)

GUYYSS, I'M SO SAD. My garmin didn't get delivered today*cries*. It was out for delivery this morning, but apparently my stepdad didn't hear the doorbell (or the postman didn't ring it, since they often just knock when they're delivering packages), so now it's back at the post office. It said in my shipping updates they left a notice with instructions, but the didn't (booo). It also says I can pick it up at the post office, but by the time I'd found out they hadn't left it, the post office was closed. I'm calling Monday and hoping I reach them in time to have them hold the package there so my mom can pick it up (I had it delivered to my parents so they're closest), because I don't want it to get sent back after too many failed attempts.

tl/dr: this means I won't get my new toy until next weekend. So. Much. Sadness.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:36 am 

I'm the same as Simply_Love, the furthest I ran before my first HM was 10 miles so C&S you are more than prepared!

Nebraska, that's exactly the reason I'm not sure I'd ever do another marathon! I'm not a very fast runner, so that weekly mileage took me a lot of time to complete. But you're right, it's worth it to do at least once!

I could never get down with gels. I don't mind chewing while I run so I usually used Swedish Fish when I was running long distances. If I can though, I prefer drinking my calories and Powerade or Gatorade suits me fine.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:31 am 
Dead by dawn

I like Gu. PowerGels are runny and gross, like snot. I use Gu Chomps and ShotBlocks on the bike because it's easier to chew, but when I'm running chewing is a little much. Peppermint stick Gu is yummy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 134  Next