| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:03 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I ran for 5.5 miles today and my last two miles were faster than my first! First time I've had significant negative splits! (ie more than just one random mile in the middle)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:07 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Thanks for the tips! I went to the running store and picked a few different brands and flavors to try. Seems like the chocolate and espresso flavors are crowd pleasers. I also got some Clif blocks.

It looks like GU gels aren't vegan? As of a few months ago someone from the company said that they contain non-vegan amino acids.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:14 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I like the clif blocks the best.

Today I ran a 10 K mostly in deep mud, rocks, and streams (mountain trail). I think I'm going to have to retire the shoes. It was fun and I really do like the thrill of running steep downhills with tricky footing.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Hey running pals! I have to tell you about the race today. I had a great race - felt good throughout, fueled well and didn't hit the wall at all! I crossed the finish line in 4:12 which is a PB for me! I'm gonna be stiff tomorrow but it was worth it. I'm really happy.

MT, how was your race?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:05 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yay Studio, congratulations!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:08 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yay studio!!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:11 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lillianp wrote:
I ran for 5.5 miles today and my last two miles were faster than my first! First time I've had significant negative splits! (ie more than just one random mile in the middle)

Nice one lillianp! I've just started running negative splits and I ran my fastest 10k on Saturday. My boyfriend, who is much faster than me, was having a bad day and he couldn't keep up with me! It has really given me some confidence for my first proper 10k race this Sunday. I hope I can keep my nerves under control as I struggle with that. After the race I will decide if I am going to keep entering races or just run for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:18 am 
Dead by dawn

studio wrote:
Hey running pals! I have to tell you about the race today. I had a great race - felt good throughout, fueled well and didn't hit the wall at all! I crossed the finish line in 4:12 which is a PB for me! I'm gonna be stiff tomorrow but it was worth it. I'm really happy.

MT, how was your race?

Fantastic job, studio! Congrats.

I ended up at 4:33:45, which is about 4.5 minutes slower than my PR at Austin last year. I know I can do better than that, and I still have a goal of getting into the 4:15-4:20 range, but I'm OK with it. Austin was 14.5 months ago and because of my injury earlier this year, I hadn't run longer than 15 miles since and I hadn't been doing any speedwork to speak of since mid-February. I felt really good until about 17, but it was rough after that! We'd planned on having me walk 15 seconds each mile after 15, but I tried to keep the walking to the water stops.

What a soggy day, though! By the time we got to my aunt's so I could get out of my wet clothes and shower, my poor feet had been wet for 7 hours.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:22 am 
A Bad Person

Welp, my commitment to shorter distances didn't last long. My sister talked me into signing up for another half this September. I can't say I didn't see this coming. MBM and I went to see her finish her first marathon and I got hella jelly. I was already entertaining the notion of running the same half I did last year again.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:26 am 
Dead by dawn

One of us, one of us...

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:38 am 
A Bad Person

I know. I love to suffer. And it doesn't help that I ran the 5K fun run at a Moonlight Marathon event, where the whole purpose was to run a marathon or a half through a cemetery in the dark and get in before midnight. The sun was up the entire time for 5K runners. I had fun, but it could have been more fun!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

I ran my first 5k (not counting last year's Warrior Dash, since there were obstacles) on Friday. My goal was 30 minutes and to not stop and walk, but I ran it in 31.10 and only stopped to walk for a minute. I'm still really proud of myself!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:17 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yay AP!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:07 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

AP, that's awesome!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:08 pm 
A Bad Person

Congrats, AP!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:52 pm 
Huffs Nooch

monkeytoes wrote:
What a soggy day, though! By the time we got to my aunt's so I could get out of my wet clothes and shower, my poor feet had been wet for 7 hours.

For real. I went to watch the start and I felt bad for all the runners. How did you deal with the rain? When the half-marathoners were running by my apartment, a lot of them were still wearing rain ponchos or garbage bags.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:16 pm 
A Bad Person

Is anyone else going to do the RAINN virtual 5K?

http://www.rainn.org/news-room/lace-up- ... n-this-may

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:47 pm 
Dead by dawn

broseph wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

For real. I went to watch the start and I felt bad for all the runners. How did you deal with the rain? When the half-marathoners were running by my apartment, a lot of them were still wearing rain ponchos or garbage bags.

Oh, even towards the end of the full, there were people still wearing plastic bags. I can't imagine running for hours in a bag of sweat myself, but whatever works for you, I guess. I don't really dress any differently for running in the rain or anything, and I'm used to it so it wasn't really miserable until after I was finished. If anything it made me appreciate the spectators even more than usual.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 pm 
Huffs Nooch

monkeytoes wrote:
broseph wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Oh, even towards the end of the full, there were people still wearing plastic bags. I can't imagine running for hours in a bag of sweat myself, but whatever works for you, I guess. I don't really dress any differently for running in the rain or anything, and I'm used to it so it wasn't really miserable until after I was finished. If anything it made me appreciate the spectators even more than usual.

Wow. Props to you for soldiering through it. And to the people willing to run the full race in their own personal sweat-saunas too? I hope I'll never have to decide between those two options.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:17 am 
Saggy Butt

So much running going on in here! Way to go, everyone.

Huge, huge congrats to studio and mtoes! You guys rock.

I use gu also and didn't even think that they might not be vegan. I've checked the ingredients so many times! I can only stomach chocolate flavored gels or peanut butter gu. I hate any fruity flavors and I've choked on chewy things so I stay away from solids. I bought a small flask type thingy last year so I could make my own fuel but I haven't gotten around to using it yet.

I'm slowly, slowly getting back to running. Trying to toe the line between getting back in shape and overdoing it. I can tell I've lost a huge amount of fitness so it's really frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:55 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

monkeytoes wrote:

Oh, it was a sog-fest, alright! I rarely get blisters anymore, even in races (thank you injinji toes socks!) but my feet were a wrinkly, peeling, blistered mess by the end. Ewwww!

I'm still super pumped about my race. This training cycle was tough because we had a terrible, terrible winter (I'm talking record-breakingly bad) and although I pushed through most of my long runs, I slacked on tempos and speed so I am confident I can whittle down my time with a little more speedwork. I put my name in the lottery for St George marathon in October http://www.stgeorgemarathon.com/ which is a tough race since it's downhill but it was highly recommended by a running buddy of mine so I tossed my name in the hat. If I get in, my training will have to change in order to prep my legs for the beating they will take on the declines but I'd happily take another PB on that course (even if some runners say a downhill PB doesn't count).

Congrats to everyone is this thread on their running successes!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:01 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I did it. I'm registered for the Portland Marathon on October 5th. I'm joining a training clinic so I can do my long runs with other people.

I am sort of freaking out. That's normal right? I feel like I need to lay down.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:08 pm 
A Bad Person

Totally normal. I freaked out when I signed up for a 15K with training program when my longest running distance was 6 miles. The goal seems insurmountable until you actually start working towards it.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:10 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I'm at 8 miles right now!

That's like a third of the way there!

Or something.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:14 pm 
A Bad Person

See? You're basically at the finish line.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 137  Next