| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:17 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Geez, running a marathon is easy. I don't know why more people don't do it.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:34 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yay Nebraska!!!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:12 pm 
Dead by dawn

You should still be super pumped about your race, studio! You did a great job and isn't it amazing feeling when everything falls into place on race day?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:19 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I changed my registration for the race in September from 5k to 10k. I've been running twice a week lately and swimming once, which has been great.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

That's so exciting, Nebraska! I was going to say that I did the Big Sur marathon and it was one of the best days of my life. It's one of my favorite places on the planet and the marathon is the only day of the year that the highway is shut down and you get to see it on foot. I'm sure Portland will be awesome too, though! Now I'm kind of tempted to sign up...! I very much share your concern about the time involved in training, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:36 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

mooo wrote:
That's so exciting, Nebraska! I was going to say that I did the Big Sur marathon and it was one of the best days of my life. It's one of my favorite places on the planet and the marathon is the only day of the year that the highway is shut down and you get to see it on foot. I'm sure Portland will be awesome too, though! Now I'm kind of tempted to sign up...! I very much share your concern about the time involved in training, though.

DO IT! Think of how fun it would be to eat all of those carbs and run a lot! That's what I told myself anyway.

Ultimately, I chose to do Portland for a few reasons. I actually made a really extensive pros and cons list, and even though I was really attached to the idea of doing Big Sur because of its status as a bucket list race, Portland just made way more sens. It's supposed to be great for first timers, and I didn't really want to train for my first marathon in the winter. I was also able to hook up with a training program for the Portland marathon that has the half I'm doing in July as a benchmark race, so it seemed like a great plan.

I'd still love to do Big Sur if I decide to run another after this one is over. Everything I've read says it's just amazing, so I'm pretty jealous that you've done it!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:45 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've got my first 10k race in an hour and a half. It is pouring with rain, I have hardly slept for the last two nights, my legs are aching and I have stomach indigestion so I can't eat. Ugh, this is not how it is supposed to be!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:14 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Chickpea wrote:
Nice one lillianp! I've just started running negative splits and I ran my fastest 10k on Saturday. My boyfriend, who is much faster than me, was having a bad day and he couldn't keep up with me! It has really given me some confidence for my first proper 10k race this Sunday. I hope I can keep my nerves under control as I struggle with that. After the race I will decide if I am going to keep entering races or just run for me.

Chickpea, that's kind of awesome! I hope your race goes well. I find them really useful because I tend to be comparative/competitive and it's a safe/fun outlet for me to do that (rather than say, at work where I usually end up feeling like crepe)

I usually find walking around/distraction to help with nerves pre-race. Negative splits are funny for me because I usually go out too fast but maybe I'm finally learning pacing. (So there is some good to straining your lower back, hah)

Monkeytoes & Studio, congrats on your races! Even if they aren't PRs, you completed them, which is the most important part.

Nebraskalaska, you've so got this.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:01 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

Thanks lillianp!

Yesterday I learned a very important, very hard lesson about eating immediately after long runs. Usually I'm at home right after my long run so I can eat quickly, but yesterday I had to drive 15 minutes north to Vancouver for my first run with my training group. Before running 9 miles (1000+ calories burned) I ate a small piece of bread (60 calories), and during my run I ate some Clif blocks (135 calories). After running I started to drive home, but decided to get my car washed. I already wasn't feeling super and I was really hungry and thought about grabbing oatmeal across the street but my car was finished a lot faster than I thought it would be. I start driving home and after a few minutes I start feeling terrible. I'm pretty sure I'm going to vomit or pass out. I'm only a block from my house but there is a spot open right in front of a nearby cafe that I know has food sitting on the counter so I hobble in, grab a banana and start eating. At this point I'm having to lean on the counter for support and I'm shaking horribly. The barista seems confused and I start apologizing and explaining that I'm going to pay and he makes me go sit down before I pay and brings me water and orange juice. Pretty soon after I finish everything I'm feeling way better. The barista was really nice and gave me the oj for free, and I tipped him $4 on a $1 banana.

Then I went home and ate my body weight in pasta.

In conclusion, don't be like me, and always eat as soon as possible after long runs!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:36 am 
A Bad Person

Yesterday was a 5 mile race for me. I came in at 48:36! I'm personally quite happy that I've been able to keep up a 10 minute/mile race despite ramping up to 5 miles pretty quickly this season.

It was also the first time I've seen a race done without chips or bibs for time. They did it all with numbered popsicle sticks. It was a pretty small race.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:02 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I bought a Garmin and it's the most beautiful thing I own.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:37 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I broke my almost 6 month running streak yesterday because I had a 104F fever and couldn't stop vomiting. Now I feel sad about it.

Also, I'm totally buying myself a Garmin as a graduation present.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:55 pm 

brian wrote:
Yesterday was a 5 mile race for me. I came in at 48:36! I'm personally quite happy that I've been able to keep up a 10 minute/mile race despite ramping up to 5 miles pretty quickly this season.

It was also the first time I've seen a race done without chips or bibs for time. They did it all with numbered popsicle sticks. It was a pretty small race.

Nice one Brian! The popsicle sticks sound super cute!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:56 pm 

Nebraskalaska wrote:

Which one did you get?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:03 pm 

Well I managed my first 10k race & got a new PB too, even with no food & not being able to swallow water due to the stomach indigestion.
While I was at the 10k I saw there was a new half marathon advertised . It is in September. I'm tempted because it's flat but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I've been running 3 or 4 times a week with a long run of 6 or 7 miles once a week. I've never run further than 12.5k. (I also swim, ride & go to exercise classes so I do some form of exercise most days.)
What do you reckon guys? Should I sign up? Is it achievable?
Of course if I do sign up I think I need to get a garmin! That's the deal right?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:37 pm 
A Bad Person

Chickpea wrote:
Well I managed my first 10k race & got a new PB too, even with no food & not being able to swallow water due to the stomach indigestion.
While I was at the 10k I saw there was a new half marathon advertised . It is in September. I'm tempted because it's flat but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I've been running 3 or 4 times a week with a long run of 6 or 7 miles once a week. I've never run further than 12.5k. (I also swim, ride & go to exercise classes so I do some form of exercise most days.)
What do you reckon guys? Should I sign up? Is it achievable?
Of course if I do sign up I think I need to get a garmin! That's the deal right?

It's absolutely achievable. Last summer, I ran with a 15K training group, which was my longest running distance. That went from June to September. And then in October, I ran my first half marathon, and I pretty much stopped running long distances after that 15K. So if you're up to a 10K now, you can definitely be in shape with plenty of time before September. You can do it!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:40 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

coldandsleepy wrote:
Also, I'm totally buying myself a Garmin as a graduation present.

Chickpea wrote:

Nebraskalaska wrote:

I want one too! It's been on my wishlist for a while. If I don't get one from someone else as a graduation present I'm buying it for myself. I think I've decided on the 210. I want to be able to set intervals.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:12 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Doooo iiiiiit Chickpea. I ran my first 10k in Jan and ran HM distance for the first time in February (though I won't race it til this Sunday). If you're already running 7 miles now and you can commit to stretching that, you can for sure achieve a HM in September!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:33 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Chickpea wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

Which one did you get?

The 620. It does so many things!

You should totally sign up for that half! And get a Garmin.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:34 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I have the 220 & love it. Having a hard time finding my running mojo though. I work 12 hour nights and running is the last thing I want to do before I go into work. I've tried it & it makes me crash halfway through my shift. Not running when I get home from work - I head straight to bed. And on my days off all I can think about is sleeping. But the 220 is great when I use it! Just wish it synced via wifi.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:32 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Congrats on your race, Chickpea! I think that a September 1/2 marathon goal race is fully doable. That's plenty of time to build up your long runs. You should do it!

So I got into St George marathon. I still have a 50km race to run in less than 3 weeks, but honestly, after my success at the Vancouver marathon, the 50km is just for fun. I have no goal time and am most excited to say I've done it and to drink beer in the beer gardens after.

I'm excited for St George, but it does mean that I'll be heading back into training right after I recover from my 50Km. Oh well! I'm a sucker for punishment, apparently.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:58 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My race is tomorrow, and I'm feeling pretty nervous and like maybe I'm not prepared at all. It's probably just my brain over-thinking everything.
But my question is, do all races have the numbers that you pin to your shirt? My packet didn't have one, so I'm not sure if it just a mistake or if some races don't use them. There is a chip to put on my shoe, although there was no string or anything to attach it with.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:01 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Wednesday 14th

I arrived 1 hour before the scheduled time for the 5000m race, my first track race in 7 years. Seeing all these athletes lacing their spikes, walking on their heels after finishing the races, talking to their coaches filled my body with excitement and anxiety at the same time. I approached the control table and in my bad German I said that I wanted to run the 5000m, they fill in my name, age and asked me for my expected time.

I thought about my PB of 16:44 performed 10 years ago, and remembered that only 3 times in my life I was able to run under 17 minutes. "How cool would it be to run that fast!" I was thinking that my time would be close to the 17 minutes, but said to the lady 17:30.

30 minutes before the race I went to change myself and slowly started with the warm up. I tried to run a little but my legs felt tired, so I just stayed dancing to the music that was being played there. 5 minutes before the race I put on my spikes and step into the track, my legs were shaking. I did some 20 meters strides and went to the starting line, to join the other 21 runners.

The gun fired I started to run fast and lead myself to the front just to be in a good position and then I slowed down after the first 200m. We passed 600m and still nobody wanted to overtake me. When I passed the 1000m I heard someone yelling 3:27, and later I heard 3:30... At that time I realised that it was going to be an easy win, so I decided to go for a fast time, but after 3:27 it was going to be hard, I would had to increase the speed if I wanted to get under the 17:00 mark.

At the 2000m mark I heard 6:52, still a little bit above the 17minute mark and my legs were not fresh anymore. 2500m I looked at the watch and it was 8:30, exactly on the mark, but running negative splits is not an easy task.

At the 3000m I heard 10:13... I had to keep pushing usually, but of course in my mind I was thinking the last 1500m is when the pain really starts and when it becomes very hard to keep up with the fast pace.

I'm sure I heard some number at the 4000m but I was too tired to make sense about it I've no idea what it was. With 2 laps to go I said to myself if you want to go under the 17 here is the time, and I started opening my strides. One lap to go and I tried to go a little faster.

200m to go and I said is now or never lets put everything here. At that point the legs do not respond anymore they are completely stiff, I just remember the hint of Ato Boldon, "relax the shoulders and run with your arms, make big swings, look at your hands swinging in front of you"

50m to go I felt how my legs lost all their strength, I was just hoping not to fell down before the finishing line. Fortunately that did not happen and finish the race with a new PB of 16:37.22.

Before the race I would have never imagined possible to break my 10 years old PB by 7 seconds, running alone and having so huge negative splits.

Sorry for the long message but I felt like sharing that experience with someone :-P

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:07 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

amazingly incredible, wr!! congrats to you!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:29 am 
Huffs Nooch

ScooterDiva wrote:
amazingly incredible, wr!! congrats to you!

Yeah, well done! Great job writing about it too. The commentary totally made me feel like I was there in your shoes, which is the closest I'll ever be to running that fast.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 137  Next