| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Awwwwwesome. Congrats studio!

And congrats to you too aelle!

I've spent this week feeling like I was teetering on the edge of injury. I have a race on Sunday and am trying to just be mellow and not push things in the interim.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:43 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yay studio!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:56 am 
Dead by dawn

Awesome, studio!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:43 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Way to go studio!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:13 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just signed up for the June 100 mile running challenge. I'm fairly certain I won't get all 100 in, but I would like to see how many I can do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:45 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Great job, Studio!

Good luck, SD!

Has anyone used the Run Less, Run Faster training plans? I was thinking about using them for my half and full this year. I used one of the beginner HM plans from Hal Higdon for both my halfs in 2012, and though I always tried to get all 4 runs in, I had to break it up to two days in a row, break, run, break, long run instead of the three runs in a row, break, long run in the plan because three days in a row killed my shins. And sometimes I only got in 3 runs/week anyway because of school. The past year or so I've generally only been running 3x a week anyway, and I like the idea of lots of cross training in the RL, RF plan. I was thinking I could also do pool running (my gym has a class! So I would feel slightly less ridiculous doing it since I'd be in a group haha) for one or both of the cross days.

TL,DR: thoughts from people who've used the RL, RF plans or who've only run 3x a week for marathon training?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:24 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I got a free app made by Asics for marathon training and I'm a little surprised it only has me running 3-4 days a week, but also relieved since that's all I have time for. I'm no expert so I don't know if that's helpful to you, but apparently it's not too uncommon. And hopefully my marathon will go ok...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:40 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm interested in those too SL but I've only read about them.

Studio you are amazing! In the heat, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:29 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

mooo wrote:
I got a free app made by Asics for marathon training and I'm a little surprised it only has me running 3-4 days a week, but also relieved since that's all I have time for. I'm no expert so I don't know if that's helpful to you, but apparently it's not too uncommon. And hopefully my marathon will go ok...

I think that what matters most is your overall weekly mileage. When I started with Hal Higdon's plan I was only doing 4 runs a week, but some of my midweek runs were 9 or 10 miles. My new plan has me doing shorter runs almost every day (they don't exceed 6 miles), but the weekly mileage is about the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:21 pm 

Yeah, that makes sense that it's more about the total weekly mileage. I used to feel like I needed to exercise every day and would do the same 3-4 mile run every day, but running harder and less frequently actually feels better on my body. Wow, you're doing a lot of mileage already Nebraskalaska! My long day right now is 5-6 miles.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:36 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I decided to order the book since it was only $10 on Amazon, so we'll see!

moo: yeah, I've definitely seen plenty of plans that are only 4x a week, and HH has a 3x a week plan as well I just noticed.

We'll see how this goes!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Some guy started talking to me while I was at the gym running 7 minutes miles on the treadmill. I'm so prideful that I attempted to converse like I wasn't breathing hard.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:49 am 
Married to the wolfman

fupapack wrote:
Some guy started talking to me while I was at the gym running 7 minutes miles on the treadmill. I'm so prideful that I attempted to converse like I wasn't breathing hard.

Ha ha ha ha. Been there.

SL, I have a friend who has done the Run Less Run Faster plan for 2 or 3 marathons now and is really happy with her results. I think the downside of it is that every run is a "quality" run more or less... for some people, that sucks the happiness out of running. (On the other hand, for some other people, the day to day slow miles are what they dread, so it works out perfectly!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:43 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I got a gps watch as a graduation present! Not a Garmin, but a Suunto. My brother has the same one (he uses it for biking), and it has worked well for him. I'm going to try it out tomorrow!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ok, it's 90F out here today and I'm ready to post and say that running in heat is pretty much balls. I made it 5.5 miles and then actually walked the last half mile back to work because my body was like, yeah no. My speed wasn't too bad though? So that's something?

My next race is on Sunday, after which I'll have almost exactly a month to just train before my next-next race, which I'm hoping I can PR in! (This is my first 5 mile race, so it's a PR no matter what!)

The Emperor (almost 5) is going to run his first (kid) race on the 4th of July! That is going to be hopefully awesome. He is SO excited.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:23 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I got a gps watch too, I'm pretty excited about that. Do those of you with watches who run outdoors carry your phones with you as well? I was using my phone for gps and music, and was hoping the watch would replace that, but now I'm thinking I will need to carry both. I had to bail on my last run because there were no other people I could see, except for the person in their parked car on the side of the path, and to top it off, on my way back to my car I did see other people, but they just asked me for gas money. I'm just glad I got out of there, that parked car was setting off some alarm bells for me.

Edit: Running in the heat is the worst, my face turns bright red and stays that way for quite a while, it's pretty attractive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:52 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I always carry my phone with me. I bought my GPS watch specifically because it has a live tracking feature, so my husband can keep an eye on me as I run, but it has to be paired with my phone for that to work.

Other than that, it's just a good idea to have a phone on you. Accidents and scary situations do happen.

If you need something to stash your stuff in, I just bought a FlipBelt and it is great! It can hold so many things, including my giant smartphone. I haven't had any issues with it riding up or bugging me. Plus, my shirt totally hides it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:55 pm 

I ran 6 miles at a 9:30 pace today! That's really fast for me. I'm proud but I could not have gone any farther and now I might collapse.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:00 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

That's awesome, moo!

I ran 4 miles on Tuesday and today. And bettered my mile pace by a minute! Maybe running isn't so terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:23 am 
Saggy Butt

Studio! That is so awesome! Huge congrats.

And congrats to everyone else! So much running and so many gps watches going on.

The heat totally wipes me out too. It's just starting to get hot here and I have to remember to slow my pace so i'm not dragging. Also I have to remember to eat more salt. I ran a half marathon on sunday and was completely covered in salt afterward even though it wasn't that hot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:00 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I've started running again! I don't know if I should even have goals or what they should be, but I already hit my first goal of sub 5min/km.

should I aim for improving pace? distance? both? I don't even know.

I think I'll focus on pace, because I get bored quickly with running

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:25 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Yay, Josh!

Today I ran on a route I haven't run on in a really long time. I was sort of zoned out, and I started thinking "those hills are coming up soon, get ready!" but then I snapped out of it and realized I had been running up hill for a few blocks and I had barely noticed it! Those hills used to absolutely kill me, so I'm really pleased to see how much stronger I've gotten! I ran for approximately a mile uphill, which would have been impossible for me a few months ago.

Geez Mooo, you better slow down or you're going to leave my in the dust on marathon day!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:44 pm 

I had been planning on running a half marathon on October 19th, but my long run is already up to 11 miles so now I'm wondering if I should do the full. The last time I trained for my full I found all of the weekday running quite difficult to fit in, so that's the main thing holding me back. I swore I would never do a full again and would stick with half marathons, so I don't know. I was going to try to run 13.1 miles tomorrow and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:33 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

How much were you running on weekdays before? Is it the number of runs you have to do in a week, or the distance of the runs that's putting you off?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:55 am 

Nebraskalaska wrote:
How much were you running on weekdays before? Is it the number of runs you have to do in a week, or the distance of the runs that's putting you off?

A bit of both, but mostly the distance/time. When I'm not training for anything I run 15 to 20 miles a week. Towards the peak of my marathon training it was 40 miles a week. Also, I'm not that fast, so a 20 mile training run takes me sooo long. I realize this is all part of training for a marathon, I'm just trying to decide if I want to do it again or not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 138  Next