| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:24 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Disappointing race this morning... I did 5 miles at 42 minutes. To put this in perspective, I ran a 10k-- more than a mile more-- two months ago in less than 6 minutes longer.

My first mile was slow and I just couldn't seem to recover from that. Around mile 3, something popped/slid in my leg super painfully and that didn't really help either. Still not sure if I'm actually injured or what.

Oh well. On the upside, it was a gorgeous course, and now I have a time to beat next time I race a 5 miler.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:30 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

That's awesome c & s. Give yourself props for getting out there!

I ran 12 miles this week - which is more than I ran all last month!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hope your leg is okay c&s!

Good job SD!

I received RL,RF in the mail. It's interesting!* Their plans recommend you take the 2+ months before they start to working up to the intensity of the workouts they suggest before starting them, so I won't be using it for my September half, but I think I'll try to work in the some of the tempo and track repeats into my plan, since the HH plans don't include any in the novice plans, and then try to use it for my full. My half would be 13 weeks before the full, and there plans are 16 weeks, so I might just skip to week four (the mileage would be where I'd be anyway).

*Total nerd moment: I'm a science major and stats minor, so when they're talking about the differences being statistically significent, the first thought I had were "hmmm, what are the p values and Fstats for that?" hahaha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:26 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Hope your not injured C&S.

Nice one SD.

I've been looking at a half training plan from Run Keeper. It seems pretty full on, long run on the second week is 9 miles which will be the furthest I've ever run. It also works up to running 40 miles a week. That seems like A LOT to me right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:40 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

coldandsleepy wrote:
Disappointing race this morning... I did 5 miles at 42 minutes. To put this in perspective, I ran a 10k-- more than a mile more-- two months ago in less than 6 minutes longer.

My first mile was slow and I just couldn't seem to recover from that. Around mile 3, something popped/slid in my leg super painfully and that didn't really help either. Still not sure if I'm actually injured or what.

Oh well. On the upside, it was a gorgeous course, and now I have a time to beat next time I race a 5 miler.

That doesn't sound disappointing to me, I ran 4 miles in 48 minutes the other day. I was fairly impressed with that. The humidity here is 90 percent every day, and I'm convinced that it makes every run so much harder. My hands start feeling sticky almost immediately. Even with cooler temperatures like we have today, that humidity is a killer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:59 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Humidity is the worst! It is dry as hell where I live and although that comes with it's own problems, I'd much rather deal with dust than muggy. I feel for you folks.

I ran 7km today as my first run back after my ultra marathon last week. Man, did it feel good to get out there again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:01 pm 

Ran 3.5mi today and it was one of my worst runs. So exhausted & sluggish. Really made me not like running.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:09 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Humidity is so unpleasant. It just sucks out the happy.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm still a little miffed with how I did but that's both the wonder and the terror of racing-- it's one moment (well, 42 moments in this case) in your life as a runner and it can either be a time where you amaze yourself with how you stretch beyond what you thought was the limit or um... It can just be another run.

The really good news is, my leg feels mooostly okay today. I hoofed out 3 miles at lunch (in the 100F weather, kill me please) and it was fine. Stuck to the flats... I know it's the hills that's aggravating this leg so even though it's more boring, I need to be smart about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

coldandsleepy wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm still a little miffed with how I did but that's both the wonder and the terror of racing-- it's one moment (well, 42 moments in this case) in your life as a runner and it can either be a time where you amaze yourself with how you stretch beyond what you thought was the limit or um... It can just be another run.

This! Before both my HM's I was freaking out at the starting line waiting for them to start. I feel like I was even more nervous for my second than my first. And by that time I knew for sure I could do it, so I don't know why it was so bad!

I feel like I am going to be a wreck for my first full this November.

Glad your leg is feeling better! Take it a bit easy the rest of the week and foam roll the crepe out of it and hopefully it won't give you any more trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:36 pm 

I twisted my ankle on my run yesterday, thought it was fine, but today it is tender. Not unbearable, and not even with every step. I've also got a race on Saturday, so I'm wondering if I should skip my run for tomorrow. I'm on week 3 of the Hal Higdon beginner 10k program, so tomorrow is supposed to be a 2 mile run. So, run or skip it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:12 am 

I'd skip. In fact I may not run until the race. Rest, ice and take anti inflammatory tablets. You should be fit enough and in a few days you will not lose fitness.
Taper is good before race day. Hope it heals quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:03 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I would skip it too - better think long term and not make your injury worse.

Speaking of injuries, I am 6 weeks into Hal Hidgon's half marathon training, and I have to dial down because of knee pain. It's frustrating. I got a nice little physio program to do every day to improve my knee stability (lots of balance exercises, body weight & Thera-band exercises and foam rolling) and I can already feel improvements, but I am worried of losing so many gains. Could I replace all my runs this week with cross-training, or does it not work that way?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:38 am 
Dead by dawn

Do you have access to an elliptical trainer? As god-awful boring as they are, you can replace runs with them and not lose out on too much fitness over the short term. I spent lots of hours on the elliptical when I was injured during marathon training. I would have rather rode on the trainer but coach seemed to think the elliptical was the best compromise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:15 am 
Married to the wolfman

Hope the ankle heals up quickly peanut!

Aelle, are you timing your Higdon training with a goal race at the end? If not, you could always do some cross training this week and then do week 6 of the plan next week instead (when you'll hopefully be feeling closer to 100%). I like monkeytoes' suggestion of the ellpitical!

As for my mild-maybe-injury, still feeling a little off but okay. Yesterday I did 6.5 miles at a normalish-for-me pace (a little slow, but it was also 90F again so yeah) and the leg held out no problem. Today I'm going to try to get through my speedwork and see if it holds up. If I still feel okay, I may go ahead and reincorporate hills tomorrow or Friday. Running on flat stuff is bumming me out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks both. I don't have a gym membership, if I cross-train it would be biking or swimming. I do have a goal race in mind in late September, but I did plan for 3-4 buffer weeks just in case something like this happened. I was hoping not to burn through my buffer so soon though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:49 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

It seems like a lot of people are having crepe runs lately! My last two runs have been miserable slogs where my legs feel heavy and I can't get my form or breathing right. I just need a rest day (which I'm ashamed to admit I hardly ever take, despite the fact that I love to preach all of the benefits of regular rest days!). Only easy walking tomorrow for me, and hopefully I'll feel well enough for my 12 miler on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:38 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Does anyone know anything about Chi Running? It's supposed to be awesome for injury prevention and I've been essentially sidelined for months now, so I could use some help in that area. I signed up for a one-day workshop in August. Everything I've read about it is positive, and I even tried to look for negative reviews and stuff. I'm worried it'll be a little too mind/body for me, but I miss the hell out of running so I'm willing to open my mind more than usual.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:54 pm 

Thanks Chickpea and aelle. I don't notice any bruising or swelling, so I'm counting that as a positive, I definitely don't want to aggravate it any more though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:54 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

peanut wrote:
I twisted my ankle on my run yesterday, thought it was fine, but today it is tender. Not unbearable, and not even with every step. I've also got a race on Saturday, so I'm wondering if I should skip my run for tomorrow. I'm on week 3 of the Hal Higdon beginner 10k program, so tomorrow is supposed to be a 2 mile run. So, run or skip it?

I would not skip it, actually I think jogging might help on the recovery. Just be extra careful because the ligaments are not strong and there a risk to twist it again.
If it is possible, I would recommend you to do some strength exercises for your ankles:
Walk 3*10m on your heels, 3*10m on your toes, 3*10m on the outside part of your feet, and 3*10m on the inside part of your feet(I know one can look a little rhubarbed while doing that, but it has worked wonders for me and for my former teammates).
Ice is also always good :)

Quote:
Do you have access to an elliptical trainer? As god-awful boring as they are, you can replace runs with them and not lose out on too much fitness over the short term. I spent lots of hours on the elliptical when I was injured during marathon training. I would have rather rode on the trainer but coach seemed to think the elliptical was the best compromise.

I usually do fartlek on the elliptical to avoid getting bored, 20 seconds fast - 10 slow, or whatever you want at the moment, to me time seems to pass much faster when I do that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:27 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Dave the Cat wrote:
Does anyone know anything about Chi Running? It's supposed to be awesome for injury prevention and I've been essentially sidelined for months now, so I could use some help in that area. I signed up for a one-day workshop in August. Everything I've read about it is positive, and I even tried to look for negative reviews and stuff. I'm worried it'll be a little too mind/body for me, but I miss the hell out of running so I'm willing to open my mind more than usual.

I went to a mini two hour workshop at a company where I worked 3ish years ago and I really liked it! It was almost all form stuff, we didn't get into any mind body connection, but it was much shorter than a full day. The form correction really helped me!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:38 pm 

I always dread going out for a run until I get started but have realized the guilt from missing a run is much worse. I didn't get to run today because it was raining so that makes 2 days in a row without a run :/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:50 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

It wasn't that warm yesterday, but it was SO HUMID. Also there were swarms of these tiny little fly things that get all over your face and in your mouth. Every time I wiped my brow (which was often because I was sweating a lot) my hand would be covered in crushed little flies.

This weekend is supposed to be a little cooler than it has been so I'm hoping that my long run on Saturday won't be as much of a death march as it has been for the past few weeks.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:50 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm up to 7 miles for my long run of the week. It's been so long since I've run that far!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:43 am 

mooo wrote:
I'm up to 7 miles for my long run of the week. It's been so long since I've run that far!

Good Luck Mooo. Hope it goes well.
I was supposed to be doing 9 miles today, which would be the longest I've ever run, but I've hurt my leg. I seem to have twisted it at the top, outside of my thigh. It is so painful and seems a little swollen. It also seems to go round into my buttock. It didn't happen while running. Any ideas what it could be? Any advice? So frustrating as my running has been going so well & I've been really motivated by my new garmin and following this half training program. Bah!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:52 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I screwed up really bad today. Usually I drink about 24+ oz of water before I run, but I skipped it this morning because I was tired of peeing so much. Big mistake! The last 3 miles were hell because I was so tired and dehydrated. I felt faint and nauseous right when I stopped running, and threw up after getting home. Never doing that again.

On the bright side, I did 12 miles today and it was my longest run ever! It was also my longest consecutive run before my half marathon (next week I'm doing about 10 in the morning and a 5k race in the evening, though). I'm proud of myself for not quitting, even though I probably should have quit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 137  Next