| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 139  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:29 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Yay, Nebraska! Bummer, monkeytoes. I hope you're feeling better.

I ran a 10K yesterday and because of lingering injuries I tried to get a slow time instead of a fast one - I decided I needed to be over an hour. I don't run with a watch or anything so all I had to go by was the clocks at the mile markers. I came in at 59:58 so I was impressed with my accuracy! More importantly, today I feel fine and I did not aggravate the injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:10 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Thanks, everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

You are awesome, Nebraskalaska!

I am proud that 6-7 miles is getting easier and I am consistently running sub-10 minute miles. I would not be impressive to my high school self but am quite pleased with myself right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:15 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

After over a week of shitty runs, tonight was magnificent. I felt light on my feet and I could have run further. I was starting to think I am just not able to run in the heat, but now I know that isn't true. Such relief!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:33 pm 
Dead by dawn

Holy crepe. I have been turning the occasional sub-8 minute paces on shorter intervals at track. I wasn't supposed to be running that fast, exactly; my 5k pace is 8:20 and occasionally we do faster-than-5k paces, but that means 5-10 seconds, not 20+. But, we all have the tendency to over-run at track, feeding off of each other, etc... I can't make tomorrow's team track practice so I had my coach send me the workout: 5x800, aiming for 3:48-4:00, which translates to 7:36-8:00! I remember when my harder intervals broke the 10 minute barrier, and when they broke the 9 minute barrier. Running paces in the 8s seemed unreal, officially being instructed to aim for paces in the 7s sounds straight up ridiculous for an old broad who didn't start running until she was 41. Hard work yields results, y'all. (Also, if you accidentally show her you can do it, your coach will soon start to require that you do it.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

My toe nail is falling off! This is the first time it has happened to me. I'm a bit nervous about what to do because I don't want to make it sore and have to stop running. It still seems quite connected at one side but the other side is off completely. I'm worried it will catch and rip. I'm presuming lots of you will have lost nails. Any advice? Please...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:14 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Chickpea wrote:
My toe nail is falling off! This is the first time it has happened to me. I'm a bit nervous about what to do because I don't want to make it sore and have to stop running. It still seems quite connected at one side but the other side is off completely. I'm worried it will catch and rip. I'm presuming lots of you will have lost nails. Any advice? Please...

I haven't lost a nail, but my husband did a few months ago. Doctor told him to keep it bandaged so it doesn't get caught on things, and to let it fall off on it's own. If it becomes inflamed go to the doctor, because it could be an infection.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ouch Chickpea. I get under-the-nail bruising pretty often (and have since long before I started running, interestingly) and after my HM I thought for sure something was going to fall off. Instead my nails just got really thick. After a while the bruising cleared up. Weird. I would definitely put some tape over it (you know what I mean? like... bandagey tape, not a piece of scotch tape. What is that stuff called? Athletic tape?) or a bandaid just so you don't end up tearing it off, which sounds awful.

Monkeytoes, that is awwwwesome. It's nice to be able to see some tangible progress!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

monkeytoes wrote:
Running paces in the 8s seemed unreal, officially being instructed to aim for paces in the 7s sounds straight up ridiculous for an old broad who didn't start running until she was 41. Hard work yields results, y'all. (Also, if you accidentally show her you can do it, your coach will soon start to require that you do it.)

Amazing, monkeytoes! Never ever underestimate us old broads.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

MT I'm awed by your speed!

I got caught in a torrential downpour on my run today. I could barely see, so I cut it short and headed home. As soon as I arrived home the sun came out and now the birds are singing. Seriously, mother nature?!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:44 pm 
Dead by dawn

Arisaig wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
Running paces in the 8s seemed unreal, officially being instructed to aim for paces in the 7s sounds straight up ridiculous for an old broad who didn't start running until she was 41. Hard work yields results, y'all. (Also, if you accidentally show her you can do it, your coach will soon start to require that you do it.)

Amazing, monkeytoes! Never ever underestimate us old broads.

Well, I only held it for 3 of the 5 intervals and then bailed out. I haven't had any appetite since I got sick on thursday and have been struggling to get in 1000 cal/day. Today is markedly better, but the last few days caught up to me! So maybe not amazing just yet. ;)

I do the same thing as Nebraskalaska's husband and just bandage it when it gets loose enough that I'm worried about it getting caught and ripping off. It shouldn't take long before you realize that it's just hanging on by cuticle and can pull it off without hurting. Good times.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll keep it bandaged up for now and hope it sorts itself out soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:51 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Its been one week off and one week easy and my knees are not getting better (welllll i say easy week but i did climb a mountain with 700m elevation over 6k yesterday and that was probably a dumb thing to do). I'll go to the doctor next week when I am back home but in the mean time I am pissed, and worried that I'll have to drop half training altogether.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

One of my main runs up to the cliff top goes through a wood & I sometimes see deer there if I run early enough in the morning. However I've not seen them for a few weeks. Today as I was running I thought, I wonder if I'll see the deer this morning, next thing I know one jumps out of the wood about 30 meters in front of me & stops to look. Then A BABY DEER jumped out! The cutest, baby deer ever... it could only be a week or two old! SO exciting. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to get a picture, but it was so awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:20 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh wow that sounds amazing!!

It was nice and cool on my run this morning which was a nice change. I think tomorrow it will be hot and sunny for my long run.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:34 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I just wiped out hardcore while on my lunch run. Skinned one arm from fingertips to elbow (you can skin your fingertips! I didn't know that!), a huge chunk of one leg, and my STERNUM. Through my shirt!

Of course this happened when I was running on a stretch I run all the time half a mile from work, not on my exciting death-defying trail run yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:48 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ugh C&S that sucks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:43 pm 
A Bad Person

For the first time, the Scheels 5K (always held the weekend before or of the 4th) was not insanely hot! It was actually a really pleasant 70 something degrees with a breeze and overcast clouds! But my running partner and I included a guy we work/worked with and he wasn't prepared at all so we spent a lot of time running slow and I think that was the slowest 5K we've ever run. But it's alright, because we didn't leave him behind and he finished!

There's a 4mi/8mi run on the 4th that I wasn't planning on doing, but my running partner and I kind of felt like we needed something to redeem that slow run. We're too late for online registration, but I'm still considering it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:32 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

This was supposed to be my taper week for my half, so I signed up for a 10k thinking it would be fun and easy. So, so, so wrong. This was the hilliest run I've ever attempted. I was shooting for a super easy 10:30 pace, but my average pace was like 11:30. I actually had to stop and walk a few times which I never ever, ever, ever do! Now I'm kind of worried I ruined my taper, because this run was so much more difficult than any long run.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:04 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I ran 10 k for the first time yesterday! It was raining hard most of the time, I was soaked after 3k. It was hard to keep a reasonable pace, I wanted to run faster to get out of the rain! (But then I wouldn't have been able to finish.) The good thing about the rain was that my mouth didn't get dry like it usually does. And of course I didn't get too hot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:48 am 
Saggy Butt

Ouch C&S. Hope your not too sore.
Congrats Amonik!
Nebraskalaska, I'm sure you'll be fine. I ran one night after work and it was so hard I had to keep persuading myself to keep going. Just get to two miles, you can't do less than three etc until I finally crawled 5 miles. I was so slow and it was flat. I really thought I should give up. The next morning, less than 12 hours later I got a pb for 5 miles! Try not to worry and stay positive would be my advice. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:09 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just went on a 5k run with a running group that sprouted off November Project. 33:45 time at a decent talking pace for me. Challenging but not too challenge. I'm so glad I"m mostly able to run again!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:17 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I pulled the plug and registered for the full marathon in October. I'm running for a local cat rescue and I've already raised $150 the first day! That definitely gives me the motivation to get up early tomorrow and go running in the crazy humidity.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

lobsteriffic wrote:
I pulled the plug and registered for the full marathon in October. I'm running for a local cat rescue and I've already raised $150 the first day! That definitely gives me the motivation to get up early tomorrow and go running in the crazy humidity.

YEEESSSSSS! Awesome, lobsteriffic!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:14 pm 
Married to the wolfman

lobsteriffic wrote:

Yay! Exciting!

Today I passed 1000 miles of running for the year! I expected to have a bad run because yesterday I did some pretty intense hills (14% grade?! IS THAT A THING) but actually I felt great. One of my best runs in recent history.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 139  Next