| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Usually it's hot as balls and super humid all summer and I would have to get up at 6am to survive my run. I'm loving this unseasonalbly mild weather we are having! I can go anytime of the day and not die. Each day it is nice, I am extra motivated to run in order to make the best of this weather. I'm getting spoiled.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:59 am 
Saggy Butt

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Chickpea wrote:
We are birthday running twinsies! Happy birthday!x

Woo! Hope you had a good birthday run!

Thanks c & s.
My birthday run started out great Nebraskalaska but I pulled my calf. It is hot, swollen and painful. I don't know when I'll be able to run again as I'm struggling to walk at the moment. I feel old :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:10 am 
A Bad Person

Butternut wrote:
Usually it's hot as balls and super humid all summer and I would have to get up at 6am to survive my run. I'm loving this unseasonalbly mild weather we are having! I can go anytime of the day and not die. Each day it is nice, I am extra motivated to run in order to make the best of this weather. I'm getting spoiled.

For sure. I'm kind of concerned that it's going to heat up really fast as I'm beginning to run longer distances.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:11 am 
Saggy Butt

Great running, everyone! It's super hot and humid here lately and my runs are a huge sweat-fest.

Anyone have recommendations for buying fun running clothes? Specifically, fitted shorts? I've just recently ventured into the world of shorts (hello, body-acceptance!) and would love patterned or colored tight shorts. I'll be in the US next month so i could order some but can only find booty-shorts in fun colors. I'd prefer 3-4inch inseams. Like so but a bit longer:

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Wome ... 671AN2TXRK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:05 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I did my first long run since the half today - 13 miles. It killed me. It was so much worse than running the actual half for some reason! I totally fell apart the last 2 miles.

I've got 13 again next week, so hopefully I do a little better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:09 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Nebraska, how long has it been? Wasn't that just a week or two ago...?

I did a long run a week after my half and was amazed by how hard it felt. I run daily and didn't stop after my half and didn't THINK I felt fatigued-- until my long run and then whooooooooa.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:20 pm 

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I did my first long run since the half today - 13 miles. It killed me. It was so much worse than running the actual half for some reason! I totally fell apart the last 2 miles.

I've got 13 again next week, so hopefully I do a little better.

I find it easier to do races than regular long runs by myself. My best 20 mile run happened when I ran the extra miles before a half marathon and then did the race. You have support with the fluid stations, potties, and the excitement of a race. I love it when I can find races that fit with my training schedule.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:30 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

C&S, yeah it was 2 weeks ago. I did 6 miles last week. I'm probably still not fully recovered, along with some other factors. I thought I was only doing 11 today, but there was a surprise 2 tacked on at the beginning of the route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My long run today was 12 miles. Running an easy, long distance pace plus walking for 1 minute after each mile is working wonders! I felt great at the end of my run!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:25 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

My pup has gotten me back into running. I hurt my knee eight months ago and only ran sporadically since, but she's forced me into slowly rebuilding and retraining. Since she's only just now 14 weeks old, she's gaining endurance at the rate retraining myself would happen. We're up to two miles on a standard day, and she's managed a 4 mile twice in the last two weeks! I'm so proud of her, and myself for running every day we don't walk over 3 miles (work is just shy of a mile away, and we always walk). It's so great so see her gaining strength and stamina, as well as feel so much more powerful in my own body again.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:08 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

yay for running! But you may want to keep her just walking for a few more months, missD. I've always been told running with pups under a year can be really damaging to their bodies, since they're so young and frail.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:46 pm 

I had an amazing 3 mile run today. It was super hot, but for some reason I just felt speedy and light on my feet. Yay!

And happy to hear you are back to running delaney!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:28 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Simply_Love wrote:
yay for running! But you may want to keep her just walking for a few more months, missD. I've always been told running with pups under a year can be really damaging to their bodies, since they're so young and frail.

She's really good at stopping when she's uncomfortable, but I'll ask the vet when we go in next week, too. Thanks for the advice- I don't want to hurt her! But I definitely see that she enjoys it, too. So, I'll check it out.
eta: damn, now that I'm Googling this, I'm doing everything all wrong. We go on long walks and she plays with tough toys...but they're both things she seems to enjoy, that don't upset her or harm her at all. And it seems like she wants to do these things. If we didn't go on long walks, she'd go nuts in the house. Hm. This is all news to me.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:57 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I think there is definitely a lot more leeway with long walks! That's probably more " whatever she can tolerate" than with running, since it's not nearly as stressful as running on the body.

I think that's the problem with puppies. They're basically the enigizer bunny, and will keep going (and be happy!) much longer than their little bodies can really handle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:42 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I did 13.1 miles today! And it felt pretty good! That last .1 was no joke, though. And I did it in two hours! Not too shabby. I'm feeling much more confident in my ability to do a full marathon!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:00 pm 

Yay mooo!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm having bra chafing issues on my longer runs. Any advice on something I can use that I might already have around? Coconut oil?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:46 pm 
Dead by dawn

Petroleum jelly? You want something that will sit on your skin and not sink in.

I like Body Glide, which is vegan and not tested on animals, if you're looking for a long term recommendation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:54 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Vaseline or lip balm plus a layer of baby powder. Gross but it gets the job done if you don't have any body glide.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:54 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Also, super high five on the 13.1!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:55 pm 
Dead by dawn

Oh yeah, lip balm is a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:27 pm 

congrats on the great run mooo!

In addition to what others have said about lube, depending on where the chafing is, covering the area with bandaids might help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:13 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

wooo mooo! Body Glide works really well for me for preventing chafing.

This week really did me in. I wasn't expecting marathon training to be so intense this soon! My feet are wrecked. I've been having bouts of pain on the ball of my left foot and the outside of my right foot. Today the pain in my right foot got really bad. RICE + ibuprofen appears to be helping though. I already skipped a workout this week and will skip my run tomorrow and do yoga instead.

Other than that, I've just been feeling super run down. I've probably need to take a more active roll in my post-workout recovery. I definitely need to be eating better; more carbs from whole foods and more protein, less sugar and fat. I should also be foam rolling, stretching, and switching out my shoes more.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:43 pm 

Oh Nebraskalaska, sorry about the foot pain. Have you tried freezing a waterbottle and rolling your foot over it? I hope it feels better for you soon.

I was feeling super moody all day today but I forced myself to do an evening run and I'm so glad that I did. The humid conditions that we have been having weren't as bad and it was really pleasant. I am so glad that I went.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:59 pm 
A Bad Person

Does anyone have a recommendation for calf sleeves? I have no idea what to get, other than a huge size because my calves are 18+ inches around.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 138  Next