| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:44 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

C&S that's awesome!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:26 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yay Nebraska and wow, c&s! You are so badass!

Well okay, the internet has scared me out of the pre-run ibuprofen. My family practice doc friend has never heard of kidney failure or hyponatremia from it so I'm not convinced it's a real risk, but honestly it didn't help much anyway. I think I might have been increasing my mileage too quickly and now that I'm in better shape I am feeling a little less pain. Also, the post-run river soaks are amaaaazing!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:47 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

NASIDS are not recommended, but Tylenol should be okay. At least it was last time I trained for a marathon, but everything is always changing.

I have dipped into icy waters after a few races and it's amazing! Take avantage of that when you can!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I ran my fastest 5k tonight at 34:01! Not as impressive as running those 20 miles or anything, but it's a win for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:17 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I totally ran a Warrior Dash! It is like a tough mudder, but only a 5k. All trail running with a ton of crazy hills and exposed roots, big stones, and mud, which I don't really do, plus climbing a lot of stuff, crawling under things, wading through a lake, etc. I finished in about an hr and a half (it is self timed). I did the first two miles in 34 minutes, and was very impressed with myself, but then the last mile we all got stuck walking trails behind people and waiting in more lines for the obstacles. I also got my shoe stuck in mud and it came off, and I wound up with a shoe full of mud and rocks.

It was all pretty amazing. My arms are still really tired three days later, but my legs felt pretty much back to normal after a day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:37 pm 

Awesome ariann! That sounds bad asparagus!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:29 am 

Go peanut!! Go Ariann!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:55 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Now I am trying to find a straight 5k on a Sunday afternoon or weekday morning for the fall. Seems there are none :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:00 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ariann wrote:
Now I am trying to find a straight 5k on a Sunday afternoon or weekday morning for the fall. Seems there are none :(

NJ area? NY? I've had good luck finding races with http://www.runningintheusa.com. If you haven't looked there already, it might be a good resource!

Also, congrats on your Warrior Dash!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:44 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

coldandsleepy wrote:
Ariann wrote:

NJ area? NY? I've had good luck finding races with http://www.runningintheusa.com. If you haven't looked there already, it might be a good resource!

Also, congrats on your Warrior Dash!

This was so helpful. I actually started looking for 5Ks to run in the fall in the NYC/NJ area also so thanks for the link!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:35 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

Hooray for Ariann and Peanut!

I'm In Mammoth Lakes at 8000 feet and did 4 miles this morning. It. Was. So. Hard. I completely understand why elite athletes train at high altitudes now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

This morning I had my first decent run since I had surgery at the end of June. It still wasn't good, but I didn't crepe out and walk the second half.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:33 pm 

Do you runners think what you eat the night before a long morning run makes a difference for you? I've been sluggish again and think I might not be eating enough. Any ideas for pre-run power dinners?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:18 am 
Saggy Butt

Great running, everyone!

moo, I do my long runs on Sundays so we have pizza on saturday evenings a lot. I'm still undecided on whether carb-loading actually works (there is some evidence that it doesn't do much for women) but i like the ritual and sometimes eat leftover pizza for breakfast. I find that eating a pretty solid breakfast about 2 hours before my long run is important or I totally poop out on the run.

A few other things I would think about for sluggishness: how intense has your training been? are you taking rest days and cut-back weeks? are you supplementing your vitamin D, iron and magnesium intake? do you eat/drink during runs? how is your recovery after runs? how hot and humid is it lately? is it possible that your pace is too fast on some runs?

Hope that's helpful!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:57 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Just back from racing-- a 30k trail run. My longest race to date and my first real lengthy trail run. Finished in 3:30 with only minimal corporeal damage to myself.

I feel so happy. Silly happy. Also more confident about my marathon in October.

It's funny to finish a race without a particularly "good" time or an age group award (5th for 30-39, dang 30something women) and yet feel absolutely confident I ran my best race and so pleased with the experience.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:46 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Great running everyone.

I finally got back to it this week after being off with the calf problem. It been hard just doing 4 miles which is annoying because I was up to 10 but hey ho... hope my fitness will come back quickly.

Well done on your race C&S.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:28 am 

Thanks inceptisol, that's helpful!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:11 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I did 13 miles in the mountains yesterday. Boy, was that demoralizing. On top of the elevation I accidentally climbed 1300 feet (I'm pretty sure the crest is just ahead!) And was completely overtaken by an elite high school boys training camp. There were good parts though! I saw a ton of wildlife and there were a lot of amazing views. Also, I'm pretty sure I get to cash in on that altitude exchange rate when I get back down to sea level.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:56 pm 

Congrats on the race C&S!

Nebraskalaska that sounds amazing! I'm heading to the mountains later this week and I'm worried that it will be too hard to do my runs but I'm going to try anyway. Runs on vacation are actually one of the major reasons I want to keep up with running in general. Some of my most memorable runs have been on vacation seeing new places and wildlife in a way you can't if you aren't running.

The other night I was scheduled to run 3 miles but the weather was so perfect and I felt so nice I just busted out my long run for the week (8 miles) early. I usually stick to my training plan, so this was liberating and felt so good. It feels so good to be able to just go and run 8 miles easy; I'm so thankful my body is able to do that and it feels great.

Ugh, there was some chafing. I need new shorts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:36 pm 

My partner's extremely difficult parents are visiting us, and when they found out I'm training for a marathon (so I've had to miss out on some family time to run, darn!) the only thing his mom had to say was, "why would anyone do that? It's horrible for you! Everyone I know who used to do that is crippled from arthritis! What a stupid thing to do!" Now my knee hurts and I seriously think she cursed me. I'm freaking myself out reading about runner's knee, which is what it sounds like. My marathon is in less than two months. I'm going to take a few days off but I feel so crappy if I don't exercise! I'm icing it a few times a day and I got one of those strap things that stabilizes the patella. I am starting to feel like I'll never do more than a half marathon again, sadly, to maintain my ability to run for the rest of my life. I've been running shorter distances happily for fifteen years injury-free and I just don't think I'm built for very long distances. Sad. For now though, I need to fix this knee and my crappy insurance doesn't cover PT so I am relying on the internet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:52 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Mooo, have you checked your shoes? My coach recommended switching them out throughout the week to prevent runner's knee.

Getting above 13 miles has been really difficult for me as well. My cuboid injury has me scared that its going to be an ongoing issue with running anything above a half marathon. I find it oddly comforting to notice that pretty much everyone in my running group is dealing with some sort of ongoing injury and are still managing to get in the long runs.

There was an article in runners world a few months ago about how running is actually good for your joints. Find it and give it to your MIL!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:26 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Mooo, I was also going to say shoes. Also, I used to get runner's knee occasionally, and I also used to sit in my desk chair with my legs folded up in all kinds of weird positions. A couple years ago I made a vow to stop doing that, and I haven't had any knee problems at all. So anecdotally, I would recommend not sitting weirdly.

I'm super envious of all of you distance runners right now because I have been out of the game for so long with my Achilles. I finally decided no more running until it's totally better. It hurts a little when I run but not enough that I would stop in the middle of a run, but I just want to run pain-free again! So even if I don't run the half that I'm registered for in Oct, I'd rather heal completely than carry on unsatisfyingly like I have been.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:34 pm 

oh yeah, the leg folding! I used to cross my legs a lot and it was messing up my IT band and causing knee pain. I made a conscious effort to sit properly and it's really helped!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:23 pm 

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Mooo, have you checked your shoes? My coach recommended switching them out throughout the week to prevent runner's knee.

Getting above 13 miles has been really difficult for me as well. My cuboid injury has me scared that its going to be an ongoing issue with running anything above a half marathon. I find it oddly comforting to notice that pretty much everyone in my running group is dealing with some sort of ongoing injury and are still managing to get in the long runs.

There was an article in runners world a few months ago about how running is actually good for your joints. Find it and give it to your MIL!

What was recommended about the shoes, exactly? To own multiple pairs and alternate which ones you use? What would I be checking? I've bought basically the same Asics over and over for over a decade and never had an issue before, so I figure those shoes work well for me. I'm good about replacing them regularly. And I will have two in the rotation at any given time, a newer pair I use for long runs and an older pair I use for shorter runs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:50 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

mooo wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

What was recommended about the shoes, exactly? To own multiple pairs and alternate which ones you use? What would I be checking? I've bought basically the same Asics over and over for over a decade and never had an issue before, so I figure those shoes work well for me. I'm good about replacing them regularly. And I will have two in the rotation at any given time, a newer pair I use for long runs and an older pair I use for shorter runs.

Yup, basically. Though you're supposed to switch between different styles, and alternate for different types of runs as well.

This article has a lot of good info about switching out shoes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 137  Next