| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:11 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Wonderful. If the PPK loves anything, it's definitely self-proclaimed crassholes. You'll get along splendidly here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:13 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I think bourgeois running gear is silly. Lots of things are silly. Life is silly. Apologies to any who took offense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:05 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Wonderful. If the PPK loves anything, it's definitely self-proclaimed crassholes. You'll get along splendidly here.

+1000.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:55 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

stretchmarkymark wrote:
I think bourgeois running gear is silly. Lots of things are silly. Life is silly. Apologies to any who took offense.

Bourgeois? Really?

Look, it's fine if you want to run barefoot in jorts without drinking water or whatever, but cool it with the value judgments about people who use sport-specific gear. It's perfectly possible to talk about what works for you without trashing what works for other people.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:40 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

17 miles! It's overcast and not very warm out...but super humid! So I was sweating a ton and by the time I made it home it looked like I had been running in the rain. Ew. Hope everyone else is having great weekend runs!

And yes, I was bourgeois and had a fuel belt with me.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:04 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Your watermelon picture made me super jealous lobster! Nice work on your run!

My long run will be tomorrow. I'm trying to make myself do it with my water belt (prepping for my marathon next month) but jeez I hate the thing. Eventually if I keep doing long format trail races where I feel like I really need to carry water, I will probably invest in a running vest.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:30 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

12 miles today for my first "rest" week. I feel AWESOME. I drank Ucan 30 mins before my run, and had a cliff block at miles 6 and 8. I also drank a ton of water/electrolytes. When I was finished I didn't feel faint, dizzy, shakey, or nauseous! I weighed myself and it was about where it was supposed to be. I'm so relieved!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm attempting a long run tomorrow after two weeks of very little running, lots of stretching and quad exercises and biking and swimming. If my knee doesn't let me finish my run tomorrow I'm going to be seriously worried about my ability to do the marathon. I'll try to have some water and calories but my energy or fitness level has never been the limiting factor, just my damn joints.

I'm so glad everyone else is doing well!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:09 pm 

I just got back from a wicked confidence-boosting run. 19kms - 5km warm up and 14km at tempo pace. It was a great run and I felt super strong. I guess my marathon training is paying off?!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:57 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

How long did it take you guys to move from a 10k to half-marathon?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:15 pm 
Dead by dawn

Nebraskalaska wrote:
12 miles today for my first "rest" week. I feel AWESOME. I drank Ucan 30 mins before my run, and had a cliff block at miles 6 and 8. I also drank a ton of water/electrolytes. When I was finished I didn't feel faint, dizzy, shakey, or nauseous! I weighed myself and it was about where it was supposed to be. I'm so relieved!

Fantastic!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

JRL, I had barely ever done 5ks, but I trained w/a group called November Project and they threw a party race with a mystery distance that turned out to be 8 miles, which was above any distance I'd run before (6, a couple days earlier). So i basically said, what the hell, it's only another 5 miles to do a half marathon, why not. So I did one about 3.5 months later. Came in at 1:59:15 or something.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:17 pm 

Speaking of November Project, I'd really like to join the group here. I'm a beginner-intermediate runner, and the group sounds awesome but their FB page & photos look very intimidating. Not one person in the group looks less than elite athlete and I don't want to join a group where my less than stellar physique will be a turnoff. Feedback?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:17 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

SD, I'm not a runner (sorry to be jumping in this thread - I was checking on my earlier modding), but maybe my perspective will be helpful anyway:

I race bikes. I am thin, and probably of all the girls on my team, I look fastest, or maybe second fastest, because I have the body type everyone associates with being a good endurance athlete. Thing is, I'm THE SLOWEST. Well, maybe second slowest. I do one or two things quite well and struggle mightily with just about everything else. The girls on my team are all serious asparagus kickers who all work super hard, and there is a really wide range of body types. We've got women who are 5'0 and 100 pounds to 6'2 and 190. Two of our most successful new racers this year are both bigger girls who you probably would not peg as super athletic to look at them, but they have both KILLED it this year.

The point is, endurance sports are about way, way more than how fit you look. You can look like a fitness model but still have a tiny, two-cylinder "engine," and you can be 30 pounds overweight but have a huge aerobic capacity. And hell, you can be overweight and not have athletic gifts but be a hard worker with a good attitude, and that still puts you ahead of most people. If anyone in the group you're interested in is "turned off" or snotty to you because you don't have the right look, then screw that group.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:11 pm 
Dead by dawn

Yeah, SD, I was overweight and a total couch potato who couldn't run a mile when I joined my team and everyone was nice and supportive and not the tiniest bit snotty towards me. I felt really self-conscious going in but that didn't last long at all. We have people of all shapes and sizes, and people of all athletic abilities and Jordan is right that you can't predict who's who from looks. If you're interested in joining a group like that and they are anything less than welcoming, just know that it reflects on them not you, and that there are groups out there who'd love to have you.

And jrl, I went from 0 to half marathon in just under 10 months. And I do mean zero; when I started I had never run a mile in my life. I didn't really do any 5k or 10k races because I was mostly concerned with triathlon that first year. I did an 8k about six months before my first half marathon. I'm sure I could have gotten there quicker if I'd just concentrated on running. When I signed up for my half, my longest run to date was about 7 miles and a couple of the coaches on my team told me that they thought I could do a half right away (like, it wouldn't be smart and it wouldn't be pretty, but I could do it.) I think I ultimately followed a 10 week training plan that assumed you could do a long run of 6 or 7 miles to start, so lillianp's 3.5 months sounds pretty reasonable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:06 am 

Thanks so much MT and JoPa. You both are totally spot-on. I'm so intimidated by those who are in such better condition than me, and around here, it seems that being a serious athlete is a way of life. I'll never run an 8 min mile, but I can definitely show up and do my best, regardless of my company. Thanks for the wisdom and encouragement.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:18 am 
Saggy Butt

You guys are all kicking some asparagus! Very impressive running.

I'm injured again. A heel spur, I think, this time. I just can not catch a forking break. So frustrating.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:57 pm 

I did 12 miles this morning without too much pain! I mean, my knees hurt, but they both hurt pretty equally so that feels reassuring to me that it's not really an injury. I'm also reassured that I don't seem to have gotten out of shape at all. I could have run so much longer but didn't want to push the knees, so I swam for an hour after my run. Now I am exhausted.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:36 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

SD, if we were friends on fb, you'd see that I'm not the sports model esque athlete. Yes, many of the people who attend look to be in very good shape, but what jopa and mtoes spoke to also rings true with November project. I know in boston most people 'look' fit to our society trained eye, but not all. We have many people gasping through the workout both who look fit and don't. Brogan and bojan really really want this to be a movement for everyone, the workouts are intentionally scale able at least here and no one should ever shame you for being slower if that's the case. (This is the case in boston but I'm sure brogan and bojan have made that clear to the other tribes) They might cheer you on though as they pass.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:50 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

inceptisol wrote:
You guys are all kicking some asparagus! Very impressive running.

I'm injured again. A heel spur, I think, this time. I just can not catch a forking break. So frustrating.

Sorry to hear that inceptisol. Hope it sorts itself out soon.
I've been out the last couple of days with a friend who has run in the past but had a baby n put on weight etc so hasn't done much for a couple of years. We did about 4.5miles of run/walking. It's been good for me to have someone to get me back out running now I'm recovering from this calf strain. She's been so pleased that she's signed up for a 10k in a few months to keep her motivated.
This morning I went out on my own n ran 5 miles in my fastest time for a long time so hopefully things are looking up. Injuries suck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:29 am 

I'm glad you're coming back from injuries, chickpea and mooo!

SD, November Project sounds cool! I echo everyone and say go for it! I tried searching for a Toronto chapter but I couldn't really find anything. Seems like a cool concept though.

I did 5 miles this AM but I kind of had a tummy ache the entire time (not related to running, I woke up like that but though it would go away) so I was slower than usual. I can't believe I've reached the point in my marathon plan where 5 miles is my shortest run in a week!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:02 am 
Married to the wolfman

Ha ha, your post made me smile lobster... I had two days last week where I did about 4 miles and looking over my weekly log I was like "why did I take so many rest days!!!!!!" ... Meaning those 4 mile days.

Yesterday I was arguing with myself about continuing to run at mile 19 out of 21. I seriously thought to myself, "are you going to squander this great opportunity to practice a lengthy descent on tired legs??" It cracked me up once I realized what I'd just thought (and I finished just fine, half a mile later I felt great).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:10 am 

Way to push through C&S! Is the Skyline to Sea all downhill? Out of curiosity, about how many miles per week do you run? I remember a couple of months ago you said you were already at 1000 miles ran in 2014 so it must be a lot!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:30 am 
Married to the wolfman

Not that many really! I was at 45/wk for a long time and have now jumped to 50. It would be cool to hit 55 before my marathon but realistically it's unlikely.

Skyline is interesting in that it has a fair amount of climbing (2500 ft I think) but all at the beginning-- then it drops like 5500 ft steadily, and finishes with 2 miles or so of flat. It starts up at Saratoga Gap and then ends at the beach, if you can picture that!

I was really worried about the descending so I went and read other people's race reports. There was apparently one year where there were 4-5 miles of wasp frenzy and everyone got stung a billion times. Sooooo now wasp fear has overridden any descent related fear in my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 am 

Ack, wasp fear > descent fear!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 137  Next