| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3698 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

monkeytoes wrote:
And here I was just doing it to look cool... thanks spammer!

I thought maybe they weren't a spammer, but just not used to forums. . . Or maybe not too strong in English speaking. Then I saw the copy-paste replies in similar threads. . .

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:01 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I ran my first race/half marathon this morning!

My goal time was 1:45, which was well within reach when I set it. About a month ago the cuboid injury I had last year started recurring so I had to take a week off of training and after that I was consistently slower than usual. So I revised my expectations to sub-2 hour, started the race with the 8:30 pace group. Well, I was passing people for the first 3 miles, then around mile 5 I got a cramp in my chest and went "oh shiitake this is it". By mile 7 I'd worked out of it and accelerated every mile for the rest of the race. Finished in 1:43:40!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

zwingtip wrote:
I ran my first race/half marathon this morning!

My goal time was 1:45, which was well within reach when I set it. About a month ago the cuboid injury I had last year started recurring so I had to take a week off of training and after that I was consistently slower than usual. So I revised my expectations to sub-2 hour, started the race with the 8:30 pace group. Well, I was passing people for the first 3 miles, then around mile 5 I got a cramp in my chest and went "oh shiitake this is it". By mile 7 I'd worked out of it and accelerated every mile for the rest of the race. Finished in 1:43:40!

Congratulations :) That's just amazing.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:12 pm 
Dead by dawn

Nice work!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Hey fellow thick-thighed runners! What kind of running shorts have you found that won't ride up from thigh friction when you run? I'd love a pair of loose-legged running shorts, but they all seem to ride up my thighs if they're not skin tight. I know they exist.. maybe something with a liner? I dunno, I'm at a loss. Suggestions?

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

takecare wrote:
Hey fellow thick-thighed runners! What kind of running shorts have you found that won't ride up from thigh friction when you run? I'd love a pair of loose-legged running shorts, but they all seem to ride up my thighs if they're not skin tight. I know they exist.. maybe something with a liner? I dunno, I'm at a loss. Suggestions?

I'm all about the shorts with a snug liner and a looser, thinner outer layer. I'm a hiker and runner with fairly thick, muscular thighs and they're the thing that works best for me. I have two pairs I love but I cut all the tags off the inside when I bought them, so I don't remember what brand they are.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:49 am 
Dead by dawn

Yeah, I really have never found loose running shorts that work for me. I wear bike short style running shorts when it's too hot for capris. Even the ones with a lycra short underneath aren't usually long enough for my taste.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:38 am 
Nailed to the V

I go with the "two-shorts" method sometimes for spinning. (Running I'm ok, but spinning in shorts I've discovered causes some serious ride up and chafe, but I'm not super comfortable in just bike shorts. I wear the Under Armour shorts (https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/women ... 297899-012) underneath, and then a looser running short on top, and it seems to work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:57 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hey y'all! I've been running casually for a few years now but this year I kicked it up a notch. I ran my first race, a 10 miler, a month or two ago and finished in just under 90 mins. I am slow as heck and it was 8,000 C so I was pretty happy with my time. Overall the race went great, and the timing of it fit in perfectly with my real goal... training for a marathon! I'm following Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1 program.

Training is going.... ok. 16 miles was HARD the first time, but flew by the second time. 18 miles was SUPER HARD the first time, but a breeze the second time. I ran my first 20 miler this weekend and I was DONE by mile 18: I was totally running on empty. I literally staggered around eating wild raspberries for the final mile (probably not a good game plan for race day) and although my track record suggests that I'll get through my next 20 miler ok, I'm scared that I am going to bonk HARD during my marathon around mile 22ish, and 4 miles is a looong time to be staggering around foraging.

About an hour before a run I always drink a peanut butter-banana-soymilk smoothie and chug some coffee, and during runs > 10 miles I munch on dates here and there. I think that I need to work on my diet the day before a run in order to have enough energy to last the entire distance. Or maybe I need to try to eat more during the run itself? Any tips?

Edit: Whoo!! My 100th post :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:02 pm 
Dead by dawn

Fueling for distance is super personal and part of marathon training is training in your nutrition plan: what foods can you stomach during a race, how many calories can you absorb, etc... Personally, I like gels for long runs in part because they are so portable and in part because you know exactly how many calories you are getting so it' relatively easy to adjust. I know lots of people who prefer dates or homemade energy bars, etc... If you really think that you are bonking (versus just getting tired because 18+ miles is a damn long time to run!) the easy answer is more calories. Instead of munching on dates "here and there" pick an interval and an amount to eat (two dates every 45 minutes, for example) and take note of your energy level throughout, how your gut is responding, etc... and then adjust from there based on your results. I tend to take in more calories than I probably need because I can digest them and when I am Ironman training I need to, so I do a gel every 35-40 minutes or so for runs longer than 12ish miles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I agree with monkeytoes this is super personal...
And personally if you run is shorter than 3 hours I think it is a waste of energy to carry and consume something during a run. Carrying that little but extra weight will make you waste more energy than the possible energy you can get out of it.
You need energy to carry the food, energy to digest it, and it takes some time to be digested, and transported to your leg muscles so that you can use it.

What works better and is much more efficient is to burn your own fat as energy.

I know many amateur athletes have these idea that you need to fuel before a race and therefore eat a lot of pasta, pizza or whatever (I used to do that for many many years). Nowadays what I discovered that it works much better for me is to eat almost nothing few days before a race. The lost of weight will make you run more efficient and your body will be ready to burn fats which is also a much more efficient way to burn energy.

Anyway whatever fuelling strategy that you want to follow, try it many times before the big race.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:28 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks for your suggestions!

monkeytoes, I think you're really right that if I'm going to munch at all, I need to be more strategic than randomly chucking a date at my face at miscellaneous intervals. For my next long run I'll aim for a real strategy. My stomach can be iffy but I seem to be able to handle dates - I'm worried to try adding gels now because I don't want to mess up any of my remaining long runs before my race, but I'll pick some up to try later.

worldrunner, lol, I'm slow enough that 20 miles is well into 3 hours for me.. I'm a reasonably consistent 10-minute-miler unless I'm falling apart and going even slower! I usually don't eat anything special in the 24 hrs before a long run (other than avoiding anything unusual or heavy or greasy) but I know from experience that I need SOMETHING in my stomach before even a short morning run. But actually I have gained a few pounds recently so it's encouraging to hear that dropping those could make a difference in my energy.

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:50 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

A quick update: I finished my marathon! My time wasn't wonderful (4h 37 min) but that's because I came very close to running headlong into the wall at 20 miles. I'm mad at myself because I used the advice here to tweak my training a bit, and I started being more careful to eat thoughtfully the day before a long run (carby, low fat, and some protein) and then to be consistent with eating while running (2 dates at mile 8 and every 2 miles afterward unless I really can't eat another bite). My second 20 mile training run went awesome and I was happy. But I stupidly opted out of eating a little more the day before my marathon (which is what works for me), and during the race itself, I didn't start eating until mile 10 for some dumb reason, and as a result I started getting really weak and a bit dizzy around 20 miles. I managed to keep it together by eating as much as I could manage over the next 3-4 miles but by then I was in a really hilly section of the course and I did quite a bit of walking. But considering how I felt with another 6 miles to go, I'm just happy that I finished! Thank you again for the advice!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:51 am 

zaqette wrote:
A quick update: I finished my marathon!

Congrats, zaqette! Marathons are no joke, so my respect to you. I know a really experienced runner with a 15:3X 5k who hit the wall hard in his first marathon and went from being on track for 2:40:XX to 3:17, so awesome job keeping it together until the end.

You guys, I PRed my half marathon by nearly 11 minutes yesterday! 1:33:01 and good for 17th overall/2nd M16-29!

Putting a race report in spoilers for anyone who wants to read because long. Splits are from iSmoothRun on my phone, so they're going to be consistently about 8-10s faster than reality.
Spoiler: show
This was my fall goal race that I downgraded from a full to a half at the end of July due to a series of stupid injuries. This weekend last year I sprained my ankle really badly and couldn't run again until January, so the last half marathon (and first race) I ran at the end of May, I basically went couch to half marathon. Training was super inconsistent for that and I really slacked off in the last 6 weeks and ran a 1:43:43 which I was proud of. However, I knew that with consistent training, I could do better. I picked up Pete Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning and Faster Road Racing, a heart rate monitor, and got to work. Having a book that explained the physiological reasons behind specific workouts as well as a heart rate monitor to keep track of effort level really helped.

I started out on Pfitzinger's 55 mile peak full marathon plan, and then switched to his 47 mpw half plan, which I stretched to peak at 50 because I'd already had a 50 mile week earlier and figured "why not" My longest runs were an 18 miler at altitude back in July and a 16 miler three weeks out where I was hitting 7:35 splits for the last few miles. Ran a couple of tune-up 10k races in 75-80 degree heat with 80% humidity. First was a flat, fast course for a 43:29. Second one was tougher because it was a small local race and I was running alone from mile 4 onward. Let the pace drop because there was no one within sight and hit a small snag where a cop directing traffic didn't expect a 10k runner to show up, so had a truck stop directly in front of me, making me slam on the brakes. Came in at 44:03 for 12th overall and 3rd age group. So I was feeling fit and definitely thought I could PR, but because of the heat wasn't sure how much faster I would be on goal race day. I went into this weekend with a goal of 1:38:15. I was maaaybe thinking I could hit 1:35 if I pushed hard, but I didn't want to delude myself.

Pre-Race
I was running with a couple of friends from school. One who was doing the half and hoping to break 2:30 and the other being the aforementioned 15:3X 5k runner who wanted to break 3 hours in the full. This is a small rural race in New Hampshire where the big draw is Boston Qualifying because the full is downhill for 13 miles. Half marathon friend is a local, so I drove us all up the night before and we stayed at his parents' house. The race is a point-to-point, so we caught a bus to the starting line at 6am. The starting line which was next to a lake behind a mountain and 35 degrees fahrenheit. Froze my asparagus off for about half an hour before going for a ~3 mile warmup with some strides thrown in, and realized my heart rate monitor was losing its shiitake. Heart rate monitor died on the starting line, RIP, so I decided to try and go out at 7:30 and hope I didn't push too hard too soon.

Miles 1 to 3
Splits: 7:19, 6:56, 7:08

I knew based on previous years that I should have started up with the lead pack, but I wanted to start with my friend, so we started mid-pack. Mile 1 was my slowest, trying to get around the hordes. Quickly settled into a rhythm behind 3-4 older guys who seemed to be going about my pace. Ditched my gloves at the mile 3 aid station because who wants to be photographed wearing fluffy white gloves?

Miles 4 to 6
Splits: 7:18, 6:37, 7:01

Just past mile 3, we hit a big hill. At this point I was cursing my friend who had insisted the biggest hill on the course was on the bike path at mile 9. My watch was showing me an average 7:06/mile pace which dropped to around 7:10 (7:20 in reality world) up that hill, but I pushed the effort a bit and stayed about 10 feet behind my pack. We dropped a couple of people. Mile 5 was down the other side of the huge hill. Mile 6 was relatively uneventful. I locked onto one guy (Blue Shirt Guy).

Miles 7 to 10
Splits: 7:09, 7:05, 6:49, 7:07

Blue Shirt Guy pushed the pace a little, I followed. He slowed down, I slowed down. We slowly crept up on another guy who was blasting the Frozen soundtrack(?) on his phone. Frozen Dude and Blue Shirt Guy chatted for the next mile or so. They asked me if I needed space to pass, but I said we still have al long way to go and I'm just hanging out. Conversational pace? Check. I left them both on a twisty steep downhill at mile 9. Took a Gu because I was bored and grabbed my first and only cup of water, didn't drown, chased down and passed a guy in half tights. Not sure if he was slowing down or if I was speeding up. I got high fives from two tiny children which definitely made me faster. Blue Shirt Guy was back by mile 10. We talked a little, then just tried to hold the pace. Watch was showing 7:03 average. Did a quick calculation at the mile marker, and I had 30 seconds banked on my stretch goal of <1:35:00.

Miles 11 to 13
Splits: 6:46, 6:51, 6:26

I knew I had my B goal firmly in the bag. Mentally said goodbye to Blue Shirt Guy, and dropped the hammer. It's only 5k left, I can hold onto any pace, right? Mile 12 was a slight uphill, but not bad enough to back off too much. Saw my watch's average pace tick down to 6:59. Just past mile 13 I locked onto an older guy in a yellow singlet and started reeling him in. Wasn't sure if he had another gear waiting, but I was willing to kill myself trying. Another 100m and I would have caught him. I see the 13 mile sign, we turn the corner, and there's the finish line.

Post-Race
I crossed the finish line with a chip time of 1:33:01, a PR of nearly 11 minutes and almost 2 whole minutes under my stretch goal. Since I started mid pack, I actually crossed the finish line 2 seconds behind Yellow Shirt, but had a chip time 7 seconds faster. He was apparently 40 years older than me, though. I hope I'm that fast when I'm 65.

I walked a bit to cool off and went, shivering since it was 45 degrees at the finish, to wait for my friend to finish because the location of the bag drop pickup was non-obvious. I looked for Blue Shirt Guy, but realized I didn't know what he looked like from the front. Met up with Frozen Dude, though. Half friend finished looking strong in 2:26. We went to find our bags (hooray for sweatshirts!) and then waited for our other friend who was running the full. 2:55:2X and 8th overall.

My 1:33:01 was good for 17th overall and 2nd in M16-29, but we were too cold to wait around for awards so we left.

For the first three years I was running, I didn't race because I was afraid of being too slow. Now I think I'm addicted. Next race is probably a 5k in November. It's a pancake flat USATF certified course along my usual running route and I'm going to 20 minutes or die trying. After that, I'm going to build mileage up to 60 mpw over the winter and (I think) easily break 90 minutes at the May half which is a much faster course than this one.

EDIT: Strava link if anyone wants it (be my friend plz I'll give you kudos every day)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:48 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thank you zzwingtip! :) I added you on Strava (I'm the lady with the cat hat and a snowy background).

Congrats on your awesome half marathon time!! That's an amazing accomplishment! Good luck on your future goals. I wish that I could be so fast!

I also ran for ~3 years before I did any racing at all, and I am also totally addicted. I'm really motivated to do better on my next marathon!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:57 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

worldrunner79 wrote:
I agree with monkeytoes this is super personal...
And personally if you run is shorter than 3 hours I think it is a waste of energy to carry and consume something during a run.

I’m intrigued by the running on empty, so to speak. I do that for my short runs.
I ran 10 miles on Sunday and I downed a gel, more for electrolyte than for fuel. I definitely got a boost from it.

But, I could have just eaten a salt tablet. So, now you have me rethinking things.
What do you think about the eating within 30 minutes after an exerting run?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:13 am 

^I'm obviously not as accomplished or fast as world runner, but a lot of the well respected books on marathon training advocate doing all or most of your training runs on empty to stimulate fat adaptation—I'm thinking specifically Jack Daniels and Pete Pfitzinger, but I'm sure there are others and I think Matt Fitzgerald talks about this in Racing Weight as well. The idea is to get your body used to burning fat for fuel so that you don't hit the wall as early.

They do say to take gels on [marathon] race day, though as there are real physiological reasons why it will boost performance. Primarily that your body can store about 2000 calories of glycogen, which on average will run out around mile 20 (the infamous wall, which is essentially a blood sugar crash occurring at speed). Taking a gel ~1/45-60 min on race day should replenish enough carbs that you don't hit the wall.

Anecdata: I've never needed to take a gel on a run 18 miles or shorter. Definitely gives you a boost, but not really necessary at training paces. your mileage may vary. I usually do all my runs before breakfast, including long and/or speedwork. Don't usually pay much attention to timing of my next meal. I think as long as you eat enough throughout the day, you should be fine for the most part.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:41 pm 

Excellent. This makes sense. I have the Fitzgerald Race Weight book, but the reasoning you and WR have explained is reason enough to change my tactics. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:32 am 

How's everyone doing? I hit all my track workout intervals at a couple seconds faster than 5k goal pace today! Now to string it all together into 1x5k instead of 5x1k...

Also, I got racing flats for 5-10ks and they're an ounce lighter and feel 1000% faster than even my speedy shoes. And my speedy shoes are 6oz so that's saying something.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:58 pm 

I requested to follow you on Strava!
I managed a short run over the weekend, which I planned. I will have to do something long this week.

Keep on keeping on with your training! You are doing great!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:15 pm 
Married to the wolfman

zwingtip, you are crushing it.

I had a foot injury-- symptomwise it seemed like plantar fasciitis, and it seemed to stem from walking long distances in my Tevas?! I took about a month and a half of running rest, only getting exercise in via biking and walking, and I switched my leisure shoes... and now I feel... better footwise. But now I am scared-- both of pushing myself too hard and also not being able to get back to where I used to be. I made the bad mistake of looking at race times from 1.5 years ago, when I was laying down 7 min/miles, and I'm like "howwwww." Sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:13 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You have the muscle memory, c&s. You can get back there! And hopefully not be injured doing so!

I started interval runs at the gym to train for some high altitude trips. So far I'm going pretty slow and my plantar fasciitis hurts on and off but I am definitely getting faster and my recovery time is improving. I'm not super into running because I have knee and ankle problems but the interval stuff feels nice and gentle on my body.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:28 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

This is nothing major, I've still yet to run a marathon or even a second half marathon. BUUUT...I placed first in my age category 25-29 in an Autism 5K two weeks ago. I got a shiny medal and everything. 0.0 I actually had no idea I placed. I left immediately after, but came back because I'm friends with the organizers and had carpooled. I thought it was a joke. I am not very competitive and I crossed the finish alone...totally alone. A bunch of people were about two minutes ahead of me, still within distance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3698 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148