| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weights/core workouts that won't make me look like a doofus
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm in a gym rut. If I don't go to a dance or yoga class, all I feel comfortable doing is some elliptical intervals and maybe a few crunches. I know this isn't the best use of my gym time, especially since I want to concentrate on firming up my arms and core.

The trouble is that I'm intimidated by all the other gym equipment. I'd love to be able to pick up some weights or a kettle ball or something and know what to do with it and also not hurt myself. Sure, I can do some basic bicep curls, but that's about it. I realize part of this is having a better gym attitude and understanding that the whole gym isn't watching me and calling me a doofus. I'm working on that. :) But I also want to add some variety without psyching myself out.

Does anyone have good resources for these kinds of exercises? Good videos maybe? If it helps, I go to Crunch, so if anyone else is a Crunch member and can recommend a non-intimidating, strength-based class, that would be cool too. I wish I could afford a personal trainer, but sadly I can't at the moment.

Post subject: Re: Weights/core workouts that won't make me look like a doo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:04 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I have heard good things about the book, Starting Strength, for learning how to lift weights. You can also take classes or hire a trainer to show you how to use weights.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:45 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Does your gym have weight machines? I feel like those are easier to use than free weights. The weight machines where I work out have little pictures and some written instructions as well. I started on them with the very lightest weight, just to figure out where I was putting my body and how I was moving, and then increased to weights appropriate for me, which in some cases weren't much or at all beyond the starting weight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:08 am 
Huffs Nooch

RavenMcCoy wrote:
Does anyone have good resources for these kinds of exercises? Good videos maybe? If it helps, I go to Crunch, so if anyone else is a Crunch member and can recommend a non-intimidating, strength-based class, that would be cool too. I wish I could afford a personal trainer, but sadly I can't at the moment.

I really like the exrx.net exercise and muscle directory. You can click on the name of a muscle group and it'll show options for exercises that target those muscles. And every exercise is demonstrated with an animated gif so you know what it'll look like. You might want to jump on youtube and search around for more in depth instruction if you like the exercise, but at least you'll have some idea of the complexity of the movement so you can judge whether or not it looks doable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:53 am 
Impressive boner

The goblet squat is a good core exercise with a kettlebell:

Do you know what kind of kettlebell exercises you're interested in doing? I train with them for competition so 75% of my plan involves them. There are lots of different styles you can use, depending on what you want to get out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:58 am 
Saggy Butt

Thanks, friends!

That site is awesome, broseph! Those GIFs are perfect, since I think form is the thing I really struggle with. And I like that is shows a mix of machines and free weight options.

Rhizopus: I do have weight machines available, but for some reason I've been intimidated by those too? I guess they at least make form easier though, since the movement is confined a bit.

8ball: I'm not really familiar with kettlebells at all (ha, also I called them kettleBALLS, whoops) but they've always seemed very adaptable. That squat looks intense.

I do also have a pair of very light free weights at home (5lbs) so I think I'll also work on watching some videos and practicing with those in the comfort of my room. I'm also peeking in on the daily workout thread here for inspiration. Go team!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:04 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i also used to always use the machines. normally the gym staff is more than happy to help orient you WRT form, and I do feel a little less prone to disaster using the machines.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:18 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Stronglifts is good. It's pretty similar to Starting Strenght, and the guy behind it seems quite pleasant and approachable.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:49 am 
Saggy Butt

Update: I'm getting better! Whenever I go to the gym now and don't take a class, I've been using the elliptical and then doing 2 or 3 different things with weights or bodyweight. I've even gotten comfortable doing tricep dips on the bench in front of all the big dudes grunting while they bench press. Hooray!

Pinterest has been a great resource too. Whenever I see an exercise that looks like something I could easily do in the gym or at home, I pin it and refer to it later.