| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meat, Muscularity, and Masculinity
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

Vegans get a lot of flak, but especially from those in the world of fitness. We're stereotyped as weak, frail, and effeminate, and everyone wants to know where we get our protein from. Men in particular are pressured into eating meat, since its tied to our cultural image of masculinity.

So I wrote an article to challenge the "more meat=more muscle" myth, and talk about my own experiences being a veg dude in the world of sports. Probably preaching to the choir posting it here, but hopefully my fellow PPKers enjoy it :)

http://www.happivore.com/blog/meat-free-muscle/

Post subject: Re: Meat, Muscularity, and Masculinity
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:51 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Great article. Informative, well written, not too long!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:33 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Thanks for posting. Really interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:50 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Nice article!

Just my 2 cents but it's silly to consider world class athletes. Genetics and drugs are more important in that circle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:37 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

just gonna throw it out there (more for discussion than for criticism): it'd be cool to drop the masculine/macho/manly aspect of this. I know they're words commonly associated with muscles, but it's a pretty bullshiitake parallel to draw imo. (he says, as a non-muscular dude.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:57 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

joshua wrote:
just gonna throw it out there (more for discussion than for criticism): it'd be cool to drop the masculine/macho/manly aspect of this. I know they're words commonly associated with muscles, but it's a pretty bullshiitake parallel to draw imo. (he says, as a non-muscular dude.)

Yes, I would really like to see the whole muscles=masculine thing challenged more (in general, not just in this thread). I do a lot of sports including aerial circus, and it infuriates me when people suggest that if I have more muscles then I'm somehow unfeminine, or that gaining strength/muscle is irrelevant to my motivations for doing sport, which is based on the assumption that women only do sport to lose weight and/or improve their looks within a very narrow model of female beauty/body image.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

Potato wrote:
Just my 2 cents but it's silly to consider world class athletes. Genetics and drugs are more important in that circle.

It's a common argument that I see, though: People look to the top tier of athletes and say, "Well, the strongest, fastest, most powerful people in the world eat meat. So why wouldn't I? If vegans and vegetarians can be just as strong, then prove it," all while not realizing that there are many herbivores in that circle. It really challenges some people's preconceptions when they realize veg athletes are competing on the same level. For example, a guy in my boxing class years ago would always hate on vegetarians, until one day I mentioned that one of his favorite athletes, Jake Shields, was also vegetarian. He had no idea, but it really opened his eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:38 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

You are absolutely right. I completely ignored the point you were making. The fitness industry is already overrun with misinformation. Throw a vegan diet into the mix and things get messy.

Have you written any other articles similar to this one before? My friend and I really enjoyed this one. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

joshua wrote:

Absolutely. But when it comes to getting more men open to the idea of a vegan lifestyle, my experience is that it's a lot easier to show them that vegans can fit their views of masculinity, rather than trying to deconstruct their conceptions to begin with. Views of manliness are so deeply embedded that even if you rationalize with someone and explain that muscularity has nothing to do with manliness, and the whole machismo thing is bullshiitake, its hard to undo the impact of a lifetime of movies and marketing.

Potato wrote:
Have you written any other articles similar to this one before? My friend and I really enjoyed this one. :)

Thanks! I'm pretty new to the whole blogging thing, and this is my first time writing about fitness. I'm sure I'll write more in the future :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:23 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have nothing more to add but to thank you so much for this blog post! Please do more, I like your writing style.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:07 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Happivore wrote:
joshua wrote:

Absolutely. But when it comes to getting more men open to the idea of a vegan lifestyle, my experience is that it's a lot easier to show them that vegans can fit their views of masculinity, rather than trying to deconstruct their conceptions to begin with. Views of manliness are so deeply embedded that even if you rationalize with someone and explain that muscularity has nothing to do with manliness, and the whole machismo thing is bullshiitake, its hard to undo the impact of a lifetime of movies and marketing.

no no, I get this (I promise!), but my point was that *you* don't have to use those words. they can draw their own dots to connect "muscles" to "manly" (and they will, and that's fine) while still telling the exact same story :) if you're using the words yourself, you're perpetuating the same movies/marketing, y'know?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:35 am 
Saggy Butt

Good point. Changed some of the wording around :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:22 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Nice! Very clear and to the point. I love the last line.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:48 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks, Goodwolf!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:29 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Potato wrote:
Nice article!

Unfortunately you are right, don't have to go to the professional athletes level. People winning in one level below that, are already using chemical substances to enhance their performance. Probably just not in a systematic way as pro athletes.

Anyway some questions:
is it possible to gain muscle mass without gaining fat? (without drugs, If it is possible, even when it is very hard for sure I'll try it)

Do the protein shakes help for anything?(I've use them from time to time, and I've never experienced any benefit, I'm not sure if they just do not work at all or if I should use them in a proper way)

One think that is really hard to get without meat is Iron, I've been eating a lot of cashew nuts and taking iron supplements since I changed my diet, do you know any other way to get enough iron?
(I'm not a big fan of taking pills, but Iron is one of the most important minerals to my knowledge probably for anyone but specially for endurance athletes)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

worldrunner79 wrote:
Anyway some questions:
is it possible to gain muscle mass without gaining fat? (without drugs, If it is possible, even when it is very hard for sure I'll try it)

There are different approaches to gaining muscle. A common approach in bodybuilding circles is to do a "bulking phase," where you significantly increase your caloric intake for a period, and in the process gain both more muscle as well as a deal of fat. Afterwards people go through a "cutting phase" where they then try to get rid of extra fat.

I've never been a fan of this approach, and personally when I want to put on more muscle I just gradually increase how much I'm eating, and shoot for gaining 1lb every 1-2 months. I don't measure body fat, so I honestly have no idea how much fat I put on compared to muscle, but there's no visible increase.

Quote:
Do the protein shakes help for anything?(I've use them from time to time, and I've never experienced any benefit, I'm not sure if they just do not work at all or if I should use them in a proper way)

Protein shakes definitely aren't necessary, and there are plenty of bodybuilders and athletes that just eat protein-heavy meals instead. But they are fast and easy, and then you don't have to worry about eating foods high in protein the rest of the day. There are plenty of times where I just want to snack on fruit, eat a carton of ice cream, or have meals that don't include much protein. Shakes allow me to still get plenty of protein even when I decide to just eat cake for dinner.

Quote:
One think that is really hard to get without meat is Iron, I've been eating a lot of cashew nuts and taking iron supplements since I changed my diet, do you know any other way to get enough iron? (I'm not a big fan of taking pills, but Iron is one of the most important minerals to my knowledge probably for anyone but specially for endurance athletes)

Iron isn't something I worry about; it's in so many foods that as long as you're eating a balanced diet you'll get enough. For example: for lunch I just made a bowl of fried black beans with sauteed veggies, which comes out to over 50% DV of iron in one meal. If you use protein powders it's even less of a concern, since most of them have a ton of iron added. But here's a useful link if you're looking for more iron :)

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:20 am 

worldrunner79 wrote:

Anyway some questions:

One think that is really hard to get without meat is Iron, I've been eating a lot of cashew nuts and taking iron supplements since I changed my diet, do you know any other way to get enough iron?
(I'm not a big fan of taking pills, but Iron is one of the most important minerals to my knowledge probably for anyone but specially for endurance athletes)

Depends on what you mean about the body fat. You can gain weight without increasing your body fat as a percentage but your total body fat in weight is going to be higher. As happivore said the trick is to go slowly. It's easier to do when you are a beginner or change programs. I think, but not sure, body builders do bulking because they want to gain fast or they are already big and it gets harder to make increases.

Do protein shakes help? Absolutely. For best results you need protein and carbohydrates within an hour after working out. Avoid fat in this period. Your shake should have extra BCAAs and l-glutamine. Yes, high protein meals work but the shake is going to deliver the nutrients faster. I've seen some recommendation that even say an hour to an hour and a half after the shake have another high protein meal. There have been studies that say your body can't use more than about 30 grams of protein at a time.

To gain muscle first you need enough calories and second enough protein. The lowest I have seen for recommended protein intake is 1 gram per pound of lean body mass ( the part that is not fat) and most recommend 1 gram per total mass or more. For me to hit the low end of that I need two shakes per day(21-25g) plus at least one other highish protein meal a day. When I first started I could make gains (slow) with lower than that but I want them faster so I added the extra shake in the last week. I guess we'll see if it works.

I don't seem to have any difficulty with iron but I eat a lot if greens. I track with my fitness pal and was at 110% yesterday. I'm not sure if they account for extra needs for physically active people.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:05 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Ok quick background of why I asked those questions. I've been training for middle and long distance running for the last 12 years, besides running I used to go 2 times a week to the gym just to keep my strength and avoid injuries as much as possible.
But for 2013 New years resolution I decided not only to train as an athlete but to look as an athlete too. So besides my normal running program, I started to go to the gym 5 to 6 times a week, and for 3 months I cut my calorie intake in order to reduce my body fat% and have all my muscles well defined. During these 3 months the changes were noticeable. But after that, when I decided that I did not want to loose more weight. I started to want to gain a little bit more muscle, but no gym routine, protein shakes or carefully counting the extra calories seem to work.

That's the reason I asked the questions about muscle gain and protein shakes. Because my newbie gains happened long time ago and I started to question myself whether bulking and cutting(which I'm not planning to do) is the only "legal" way to gain muscle.

Regarding the iron intake, when I commented my running coach about my decision to stop eating meat, he told me to be extra careful about it, because its importance for endurance sports and the difficulty for the body to absorb the iron that comes out of plants. Also it is kind of easy for non-meat eaters to consume a lot of food that work as inhibitors for iron absorption. That's the reason I take iron supplements (whenever I remember which does not happen very often).

So I was looking for some strategies to deal with that issue, I usually eat a lot of greens but will pay more attention to them now :). Black beans... you've no idea how much I miss them... They are not so easy to find over here :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

What are your gym workouts like? What exercises do you do, how often do you increase weight/reps/intensity, etc?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:49 am 
Huffs Nooch

Happivore wrote:
worldrunner79 wrote:
Anyway some questions:

There are different approaches to gaining muscle. A common approach in bodybuilding circles is to do a "bulking phase," where you significantly increase your caloric intake for a period, and in the process gain both more muscle as well as a deal of fat. Afterwards people go through a "cutting phase" where they then try to get rid of extra fat.

I've never been a fan of this approach

Me neither. When I first started training weights seriously I did a bulking phase that ended up with me getting pretty fat. It didn't look good; it didn't feel good; it was completely pointless! I'm now about 20lbs lighter than I was post-bulk but look 'bigger' due to being leaner.

Also bear in mind that the bulk-then-cut approach is principally designed to suit the needs of people taking steroids; if you're training naturally then it's better to make slower, steady progress & keep the fat gain in check.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:18 am 

worldrunner79 wrote:
Ok quick background of why I asked those questions. I've been training for middle and long distance running for the last 12 years, besides running I used to go 2 times a week to the gym just to keep my strength and avoid injuries as much as possible.
But for 2013 New years resolution I decided not only to train as an athlete but to look as an athlete too. So besides my normal running program, I started to go to the gym 5 to 6 times a week, and for 3 months I cut my calorie intake in order to reduce my body fat% and have all my muscles well defined. During these 3 months the changes were noticeable. But after that, when I decided that I did not want to loose more weight. I started to want to gain a little bit more muscle, but no gym routine, protein shakes or carefully counting the extra calories seem to work.

That's the reason I asked the questions about muscle gain and protein shakes. Because my newbie gains happened long time ago and I started to question myself whether bulking and cutting(which I'm not planning to do) is the only "legal" way to gain muscle.

Regarding the iron intake, when I commented my running coach about my decision to stop eating meat, he told me to be extra careful about it, because its importance for endurance sports and the difficulty for the body to absorb the iron that comes out of plants. Also it is kind of easy for non-meat eaters to consume a lot of food that work as inhibitors for iron absorption. That's the reason I take iron supplements (whenever I remember which does not happen very often).

So I was looking for some strategies to deal with that issue, I usually eat a lot of greens but will pay more attention to them now :). Black beans... you've no idea how much I miss them... They are not so easy to find over here :)

Sounds like you already know quite a bit! I'm not an expert or anything, just someone who gets obsessed with things and reads and reads and reads.

If we had more information we might be able to help. Or the others might be able to help.

I have heard it is much harder to gain and build if you are doing a lot of endurance work, but you probably knew that. I think Brendan brazier said he builds as much as he can off season because he knows he'll lose some of it when he's racing.

If you are really low in iron you can feel it. To me it feels like it's hard to breathe when you are only trying to walk across the room. I haven't been that low in a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:18 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Great article! I've always gone back and forth between drinking protein shakes or just sticking to regular food for my protein intake. I have a pretty petite upper body and have always found it difficult to gain muscle and wondered if I wasn't getting enough. It's silly, but when you hear the low protein fear mongering so often, you start to believe it a little. Chances are, it's just my work out style that's the issue. I look forward to reading your next blog post, glad you joined the PPK :)

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:03 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

My gym workouts:
I do legs on day 1
Shoulders, biceps, triceps on day 2
chest and back on day 3
A little bit of everything at high intensity and almost no rest but with little weight on day 4.
Day five I rest from the gym, and then I repeat everything again.

Every 6 weeks I try to change the exercises, weights and number of sets and repetitions.

For example right now I'm on the 4th week of doing 3x10 of every exercise, and so far I've increased the weights two times because the previous weights became easy.

Before this routine I did 6 weeks of 4x10 with light weights but as explosive as possible.
And before that I did 6 weeks of 5x5 with really heavy weights.

Once this 6 weeks finished I probably will go for some pyramids

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

Maggie Muggins wrote:
Great article! I've always gone back and forth between drinking protein shakes or just sticking to regular food for my protein intake. I have a pretty petite upper body and have always found it difficult to gain muscle and wondered if I wasn't getting enough. It's silly, but when you hear the low protein fear mongering so often, you start to believe it a little. Chances are, it's just my work out style that's the issue. I look forward to reading your next blog post, glad you joined the PPK :)

Thanks! Happy to be here :) If I'm eating foods high in protein then I usually skip on shakes that day, since there's no point in drinking hemp while eating tempeh. A lot of the times when petite people have trouble putting on muscle it's caloric intake that is an issue, and not the protein. Have you tried upping how much you're eating? I just did a new blog post, but it's on animal documentaries instead of fitness. Guessing most vegans have already seen films like Earthlings and The Cove, but hopefully the veg-curious will wander onto the page.

http://www.happivore.com/blog/3-documentaries-that-will-change-how-you-look-at-animals/

worldrunner79 wrote:
Every 6 weeks I try to change the exercises, weights and number of sets and repetitions.

It sounds like you might be changing up your workouts too frequently. Increasing weight/sets/reps as you get stronger is great, but you shouldn't change the exercises you're doing so often. I've seen people go to the gym year after year, and make little progress because they would try too many routines and programs, and never stick to one thing consistently. Consistency is key to letting your body adapt and build more muscle to deal with the stress you're putting on it. So if you change from pushups to bench press every 6 weeks, etc. it's hard to consistently amp up the intensity. I would pick core exercises (if you're doing weights then shoulder press, squat, deadlift, and benchpress) and just stick to those same exact exercises, increasing the difficulty every 6 weeks like you're doing. Gaining muscle takes a lot of time, so just keep at it and stay motivated. Progress is better measured in years than weeks or months.

It might also help to mentally focus on gaining strength instead of gaining muscle. Instead of thinking, "I want to put on 3 lbs of muscle," set goals like, "I want to add 30lbs to my deadlift." Muscle and strength development go hand in hand, but with strength you get instant gratification because progress is so easy to see.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:44 am 
Huffs Nooch

worldrunner79 wrote:
My gym workouts:
I do legs on day 1
Shoulders, biceps, triceps on day 2
chest and back on day 3
A little bit of everything at high intensity and almost no rest but with little weight on day 4.
Day five I rest from the gym, and then I repeat everything again.

For example right now I'm on the 4th week of doing 3x10 of every exercise, and so far I've increased the weights two times because the previous weights became easy.

Before this routine I did 6 weeks of 4x10 with light weights but as explosive as possible.
And before that I did 6 weeks of 5x5 with really heavy weights.

Once this 6 weeks finished I probably will go for some pyramids

Jusy my 2 pennies worth, but to me you need to adopt a simpler full-body routine and, as Happivore mentioned, stick to it. As a beginner there is absolutely no point doing isolation work for your small muscles like biceps, triceps & shoulders, nor doing complex rep patterns like pyamids. Instead you should be focusing on compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, chin ups & dips.

A simple routine like this would be best IMO:

A
Squat
Bench
Barbell/Dumbell Row

B
Deadlift
Military Press
Chin Ups

Just rotate these 2 workouts each time you hit the gym, but don't workout on consecutive days as your body needs time to recover. A rep pattern like 3x8 or 4x8 will give you a good balance between strength & size gains.