| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gym Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:48 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

worldrunner79 wrote:
Perfect that one is there 100% focused on a workout, or that having had a bad day and do not want to meet anybody.
Yet it is very easy to spot someone who is 100% focused in their workout or who had a bad day and does not want to be disturbed at the moment, but that once finishing an exercise, tells you its your turn, or at least smiles at you.

And people who every-time go inside avoiding all possible human contact and spend most of the time looking at their mobile phone than working out. Usually arriving to the gym super arranged and coming out of it without sweating one drop.

That attitude to my opinion is rude and creates a bad atmosphere.

Personally, I think it's rude to impose my idea of how a person "should" work out on the general population.

Also, what the hell does it matter to you? You're really so offended by people who don't want to make small talk with you, a stranger, at the gym? Really?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:03 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Thankfully i've overcome the idea that anyone at the gym is paying any attention to me, or this would be sending my anxiety through the roof.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:01 pm 
Semen Strong

Its important to remember that no one owes you any attention. Men often have encultured expectations that women should give them attention "Just smile!" and need to politely listen to their attempts to make contact or advice. And if they don't then the woman is the one who is "rude" or "a bisque" etc.

It creates a really hostile environment for many women and we can't win - if we don't talk to you we are rude and if we do, then we're not working out efficiently and standing around chatting, not breaking a sweat and socializing instead of working out. Either way, its problematic to think that anyone has license to criticize how another person chooses to manage their own workout time.

I go to the gym to work out, and I don't owe any of the other members any of my time to have a conversation. If I talk to you, its because I choose to. And with very limited time to myself, I honestly just want to listen to a podcast, get my workout in and then go home. And I suspect many women feel the same way.

And my absolute pet peeve of all time is when some big dude comes over and tries to be my trainer. You don't know my health history (which includes 2 blown ACLs), and your assumption that you know my limits better than I do is frankly insulting. If your advice were useful, someone would be paying you for it.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:10 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yeah I go to the gym with the express purpose of working out, focusing on myself and not talking to anyone. It's MY time, not chat time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:39 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

If I went to a gym and everyone started talking to me and said things like, "I'm really glad you came out today" or whatever, I'd leave and never go back.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:40 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My worst gym pet peeve is being stared at head to toe (and I mean they make it obvious) the minute I walk in the door, as if I am being sized up or compared. Of course this isn't limited to the gym. It seems everywhere you go people look at your waist or legs or whatever before they actually make eye contact and acknowledge you as more than a body if at all. I've seen it happen to others too. I'd rather just be ignored than stared at like that but I am getting better at tuning it out and doing my own thing. A few times I have actually smiled and said hi to someone (man or woman) who was staring me up and down. It throws them off guard lol. For the most part, like others, I just go and workout and if I want to have a conversation with someone I do, if not, I don't. No big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:31 am 
Impressive boner

Robinwomb wrote:
A few times I have actually smiled and said hi to someone (man or woman) who was staring me up and down. It throws them off guard lol.

Saying hi or winking is normally a pretty good way of getting them to realise that they were staring at you in the first place haha! They usually look embarassed and scuttle off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:15 am 
BAD PASS

lobsteriffic wrote:
If I went to a gym and everyone started talking to me and said things like, "I'm really glad you came out today" or whatever, I'd leave and never go back.

There's a gym attendant at the Y that is so invasive with small talk and condescending praise that I would avoid going when I knew she'd be working.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Tofulish wrote:
If your advice were useful, someone would be paying you for it.

I have to remember this, it will surely come in handy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:14 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

torque wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
If your advice were useful, someone would be paying you for it.

I have to remember this, it will surely come in handy.

I love that.

I agree that it makes for a more pleasant atmosphere if people are basically cordial to each other, a nod/smile if appropriate, whatever (which I think was worldunner's point?), but full blown, interruping conversations peeve me. To the 2 guys at the gym: I don't need to put down my plate that I'm hauling across the room because some inconsiderate person stacked all of the 45 pounders on the leg press, pause my music (because you seem to think I can hear you through them), only to realize that your big urgent message to me is "wow, that's heavy, that's the workout already." Double peeve because I know the "that's heavy" comment might as well have been finished with "for a girl." And its actually not that heavy so just stop it already. (3 peeves in 1 this was)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:14 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Ugh, emmalv, that's horrid. My peeve is that dudes and dudebros seem to like using the squat rack for deadlifts and rows. GTFO and let me squat!

I find it really interesting between the two gyms I go to (YMCA network) that at one there are some women doing there thing mostly not heavy lifting but enough that I'm not singled out and at the other I am 97% of the time the only woman. Thankfully, I usually get no shiitake for it. And they leave the damn squat racks open for squatting!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

omg. omg. some dude was using a machine near me and another guy asked if he could work in. original guy was like no and kinda brutish about it. five minutes pass and he goes to me, "yo i hate mexicans!" the guy trying to work in was latino. i just said, "what can you do?" because im not going to get into with some guy and i wanted to finish my set. but i swear this guy looked latino too, though he could have been cape verdian. then he tries to pick me up! what the everlasting hell i. wrong w peeps!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:41 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

And that is why no one should talk to each other at the gym.

Or anywhere else.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:46 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

My own peeve for the day is people who talk during exercise classes. This happens every so often at the barre classes I go to (luckily, it gets shut down and/or doesn't happen at yoga), and it drives me nuts! These ladies will just jabber on or laugh through the entire class. It's so rude to the teacher and other people who are paying to be there and trying to pay attention.

But then again, I always hate it when people talk through any sort of class/demonstration/etc. It happens a lot when I teach on Saturdays, too; parents will just talk to each other over me while I'm trying to give the lesson to their kids. I see this as some sort of entitled behavior that I just can't wrap my head around.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:51 am 
Level 7 Vegan

allularpunk wrote:
My own peeve for the day is people who talk during exercise classes. This happens every so often at the barre classes I go to (luckily, it gets shut down and/or doesn't happen at yoga), and it drives me nuts! These ladies will just jabber on or laugh through the entire class. It's so rude to the teacher and other people who are paying to be there and trying to pay attention.

But then again, I always hate it when people talk through any sort of class/demonstration/etc. It happens a lot when I teach on Saturdays, too; parents will just talk to each other over me while I'm trying to give the lesson to their kids. I see this as some sort of entitled behavior that I just can't wrap my head around.

This!
There is a few women who talk all the way through kettle and body combat classes and it drives me nuts. It makes it hard to hear the instructor and I always think if they can talk that much then they need to work harder.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:21 am 
Seagull of the PPK

+1 yummo!! i love my pilates teacher, she is awesome, but she has a little side chitchat with the girl in the front row often, and when i have my frigging asparagus up in the air and one leg perched on an exercise ball and the other pointed at the ceiling and every muscle in my body is trembling and my calves are cramping, i want nothing more in life than for the teacher to forking count down and tell me to stop, not to yikyak about how Foofalina is pregnant again.

And last week we got a new woman who really isn't interested in pilates, which is fine, but she is really loud about it, and every single exercise gets a "no way!" "that will never happen" "holy crepe" etc and then she yaps to her neighbor the whole time and i can't hear the teacher.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

Exercise class instructors who deem it motivating to crank their (usually krappy pop) music to volume 11. If I am going to the gym to improve my health, how does damaging my hearing fit in with that? Not only that, but I noticed my co-ordination would take a nosedive when the music would go to those levels, and I would just start feeling generally effed off.
The last gym of which I was a member, although I enjoyed the classes and most of the instructors were lovely, I had to make sure I got a position the farthest away from the speakers, and wear earplugs to boot, or I would leave with my ears ringing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:57 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

My pet peeve is people who squeeze in next to me at yoga. Dude, I came 15 minutes early to get a spot. Why should I have to sacrifice my space and comfort because you showed up 1 minute before class starts? Especially couples who come together and CANNOT POSSIBLY have their mats not next to one another. Isn't yoga an inward, self-focused sort of thing? Do you really need your S.O. within 6 inches AT ALL TIMES?

Yoga is enormously helpful to me in managing my anxiety- having uncouth people all up in my personal space is very counter-productive to that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:26 am 
Ninja Master

The space thing is one of mine. It used make me especially ragey in body pump when they'd put their mat right forking behind you. How am I supposed to do a lunge if you do that, moron?

In the end I started putting my mat way back from my step and all my weights and stuff between them so no one could park in my dance space!!

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:40 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i think i may be the person you all are talking about!! There are 30 people in my class, but six in the front insist on ten feet between mats (judging from the looks I get. Also all of their mats are always pointing the wrong way, and every single forking class the teacher needs to remind them, mats go sideways please, after a year? I'm always perplexed with this.) then the rest of us are crowded against each other in the back of the room, unable to hear or see the teacher! (who is still gossiping)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:23 am 
Hip Goiter

PERFUME

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive been working out pretty hardcore (for me) for about 3ish months now at the gym. previously when i would go to the gym i would do the elliptical for like 20 minutes then leave.

now i go and do the elliptical then i do about 6-7 weight machines and if i have time i might walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes.

my absolute biggest pet peeve (and i just read through the thread and i dont think i saw it mentioned) is when you are on a cardio machine and te person next to you is basically looking over your shoulder at your phone/what youre doing/etc.

drives me forking insane. i know im fascinating and everything but my texts to my husband about whether or not our daughter ate anything that date really arent that fascinating.
it was so bad on Friday i almost opened up facebook to post a status in capital letters (to make extra sure said person could read it) how annoying the person next to me at the gym was.

other peeves:
the big giant bro dudes who camp out on one machine for like an hour. this doesnt seem to be quite as bad lately but for awhile there was one machine i really wanted to incorporate into my routine and i repeatedly had to skip it because dudes would just sit on it for like an hour

people who dont wipe the sweat off their machines after using them is an obvious but ive noticed people who wipe the machine down BEFORE they use it but not after. i meant yay for trying but you need to wipe your own nastiness off.

also i usually have to go to the gym when my husband gets home from work so it's prime "news" time and half the tvs have the news on so i usually have to stare at Donald Trump's ugly face for most of my workout which invokes my gag reflex

my other pet peeve isnt really about the gym itself but it seems like since ive started working out so hardcore my skin (face) has gotten worse not better. i dont have bad skin or anything but it seems working out is giving me more breakouts. i sweat like a disgusting beast so i dont know if that is part of it. my skin is combo skin (not sure thats the right term) so it's delicate and can dry out but tends to be greasy in the T zone areas.

usuaully i wash my face in the morning and night. i started washing it (when i remember which isnt often) before i go to the gym so it wouldnt be greasy BEFORE i started working out and sometimes i wash it after to get all the grossness off but if i remember all those times that's potentially 4 times in one day which seems excessive.
thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:38 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I would skip washing before and concentrate on washing your face consistently after you work out. For me, I usually get sweaty enough during a workout that it's just my practice to shower right after and wash my face in the shower. I'm sweaty and gross and touch my face a lot when I work out (wiping my nose, wiping away sweat, adjusting sunglasses, etc.), and I don't usually have problems with workout-related breakouts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:46 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I actually hate socialization at the gym. Not hate as in "people shouldn't do it," because people can do whatever they want at the gym, but it does irk me a little bit because I feel like maybe I'm expected to participate in the small talk. I don't want to be rude, and according to one person's opinion here I AM being rude, but honestly I see it as disrespectful to the purpose of the exercise of working out to allow so many distractions.

I dunno, when I was a ballet dancer from a kid to an adult, we'd get reprimanded for socializing during class, because what you need to bring to class is FOCUS, and that doesn't involve socializing, not even with partner work. No one seemed all hurt if everyone wasn't smiling at them all the time. Maybe that would come later in the change rooms, or maybe not. I guess ballet dancers are very serious, but so are other focussed and driven athletes. Even if I'm out of shape and running for 30 minutes on a treadmill, I still view it as a self-focussed and rather serious activity, and would expect others to respect that and not have a neediness for my small talk and attention before, during or after.. I guess I'm a dick at the gym.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:03 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm also a dick. I'm training for some long distance mountaineering, not to socialize. I have neither the time nor inclination to chat. Maybe if I saw the same people at a small gym I would smile and wave hello but I go to a 24 hour fitness that services a large crowd.

My pet peeve is people (men) staring at me during my strength training. I can't tell if it's creepy or pure curiosity/boredom but when I'm planking or doing weighted step ups or lat pull downs I'll frequently look over and see some dude straight up staring. It really bothers me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next