| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gym Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

today's peeve is brought to you by people who sit on weight machines and chat with their friends for 20 minutes straight during the busiest time of the day.

get off the machine!

i literally did 4 machines and almost left while two people were sitting on machines chatting the other day
ARGH!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:52 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Current pet peeve - instructors that teach to the advanced regulars in the class and not to the whole class. The Zumba instructors at my gym are absolutely horrible about this. They teach the class assuming everyone knows the choreography to every song, and will just stop dancing to stand there or do their own thing or yell out encouraging things. I don't expect them to never miss a step, but they will do this at the beginning of a song when I have no idea what the choreography is going to be, or just stop when a new part of the song comes on and expect us to know what to start doing. They'll also let people on stage to give themselves a rest - which is sometimes good because most of them are better at the choreography and cuing than the instructors, but sometimes the person will have no idea what they're doing, and the instructor still stays off to the side. I swear it's like they're hungover or lack the cardio fitness to even get through a class.

Another class related pet peeve - people that come in super late. At Zumba, they do this and stay on the back row, resulting in the back rows basically tripling in density during the course of the class. In yoga it's disruptive and unnecessary, yet people will come in even, like, 30 minutes into the class sometimes. (I think they go to, say, an aerobics class from 9-10, then want to go to the 9:30-10:30 yoga class.) There's a sign on the door saying to not come in late but people still do it. If you come in 2-3 minutes late, I'm okay with that, we all hit traffic or have to pee at the last minute sometimes, but there's no excuse for being 30 minutes late. Plan to be there on time or skip that class.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yaylentils wrote:
Current pet peeve - instructors that teach to the advanced regulars in the class and not to the whole class.

omg this happened to me and my aunt several times for a hot yoga class we used to go to. thankfully we both knew at least the basics but it was supposed to be a "beginner" class and it was soooooooooooooo not. by the end we were both half dead. he was obviously catering to the super duper bendy stretchy people who came all the time. change the name of the class! i have a good amount of yoga experience so i should not leave a "beginner" class about to die!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:08 am 
Nailed to the V

Unfortunately, in addition to becoming the most popular gym in town since opening a year and a half ago (that I'm fine with, though you need to be very motivated to get a machine) my gym also became known as THE place to find a hookup. (Totally not why I'm there)

The guys who hit on me in the weight room I can turn down and ignore pretty easily. What's worse is the guys (and it's happened a couple times now) who find me through the gym's facebook page, and start messaging me, requesting dates, or "meet-ups" and won't go away. Then I see them at the gym and have to stay way clear....ug.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:29 am 
Nailed to the V

Unfortunately, in addition to becoming the most popular gym in town since opening a year and a half ago (that I'm fine with, though you need to be very motivated to get a machine) my gym also became known as THE place to find a hookup. (Totally not why I'm there)

The guys who hit on me in the weight room I can turn down and ignore pretty easily. What's worse is the guys (and it's happened a couple times now) who find me through the gym's facebook page, and start messaging me, requesting dates, or "meet-ups" and won't go away. Then I see them at the gym and have to stay way clear....ug.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:47 am 
WRETCHED

I just joined a new gym but it doesn't open for 2 months so I'm looking forward to all of these. I find in general that if I go to the gym during off hours, I encounter less issues but at my last gym you still saw people doing things like bicep curls in the only squat rack. Like really people? Or put their stuff down on a machine/location they aren't using. There was a stretching station that I used to use that people would put their stuff down onto all the time but never use it.

The new gym will have multiple squat racks (6 or 7!) so I'm excited.