| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gym Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:19 am 
Semen Strong

The pricing has changed dramatically in the last 5 years. I used to belong to New York Sports from 2007 - 2011 and it was $85 per month for just one location. Because of all the new gyms opening up - Blink, 24hourfitness, LAFitness - they have had to drop their price to $10 a month to compete. Its amazing. We got a $10 a month membership at LAFitness because they have a swimming pool, and the giant guys grunting over weights was kind of boring, but they had loads of equipment and it was all in good shape and relatively nice.

I wonder how they even make money at those prices - New York Sports offers free childcare and that costs $10 for 2 hours (not prorated if you spend less time).

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

omg.
to be fair, my currency is worth less (and less every day!), but putting it into perspective (in my currency, not dollars)....
my mortgage is $1000. I make about $50 an hour. It costs about $120 to fill my (little) car with gasoline. A weekly grocery run (no trader joes-- or vegan convenience foods, for that matter-- so it isn't too high, yukyuk) is about $125. A dinner for two with some beers, nothing fancy, will run about $100.

I want to say when we were in the US 8 years ago my Y membership was something like $70 a month- worth every penny, I might add.
Tofulish, really, I do wonder how they make money, that is nuts!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:47 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

worldrunner79 wrote:
make up, etc. Of course wearing headphones and avoiding all possible eye and human contact

Why are you watching me at the gym?!

I don't wear a ton of makeup daily, but it's silly to take off your makeup to get sweaty and then need to clean your face again. If i'm wearing lipstick i'll wipe it off because that's easy, but i'm not going to spend 10 minutes and a bunch of makeup remover to take off my winged eyeliner so i'll look like i'm serious.

I also don't go to the gym to socialize. I go there to work out and not have to listen to All About That Bass for the 500th time because they always manage to play the same 5 songs in the time it takes me to get changed before and after, I would wear my headphones while getting changed if it wasn't awkward.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Working out at the gym is not necessary to attain and maintain almost any level of fitness desired.
If one really does want to avoid all type human contact and listen to the desired music one can work out at home, it is way cheaper and less time consuming.

In my opinion the gym indeed is a place to work out, but were one is exposed to society and therefore should behave in a cordial way towards others. Acknowledging others presence and greeting them is about being polite and having good manners. Members of a gym share the same space for a couple of hours a week, purposely ignoring their presence is impolite and rude. The same way it is impolite and rude not letting others work out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:41 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

mrsbadmouth wrote:
not have to listen to All About That Bass for the 500th time because they always manage to play the same 5 songs in the time it takes me to get changed before and after, I would wear my headphones while getting changed if it wasn't awkward.

ain't that the truth!!! and also at such ground shaking volume that there is no way on earth even the good noise canceling earbuds have a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:42 pm 
Cranky

worldrunner79 wrote:
Working out at the gym is not necessary to attain and maintain almost any level of fitness desired.
If one really does want to avoid all type human contact and listen to the desired music one can work out at home, it is way cheaper and less time consuming.

In my opinion the gym indeed is a place to work out, but were one is exposed to society and therefore should behave in a cordial way towards others. Acknowledging others presence and greeting them is about being polite and having good manners. Members of a gym share the same space for a couple of hours a week, purposely ignoring their presence is impolite and rude. The same way it is impolite and rude not letting others work out.

We've clearly never been to the same gym! I've never seen a gym where this is how things work, and I think it would really creep me out. When I go to the gym, it's to use equipment that I can't afford/don't have space to own myself, or to run inside when the weather is bad. A lot of the things I can do at home exacerbate injuries that I have and don't give me the same kind of workout. I don't particularly like talking to people when I'm sweaty and out of breath, you know? I'm self conscious enough without having to actively deal with people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:07 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I got to a corporate gym so it doesn't cost me anything, I have social anxiety and when I go there are a max of five people in there. I say hi to anyone who says hi to me but no, I don't appreciate it when people interrupt my workout, making me stop, remove my headphones, and lower my heart rate so they can ask me a random question that has nothing to do with the gym.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

worldrunner79 wrote:

Lots of people have all kinds of insecurities and anxieties about the gym. I don't think it's fair to call people rude because they don't want to engage in even a menial level of social niceties. Sure, people can do body weight exercises at home if they don't want to be social, but they probably don't have squat racks, eliptical machines, or TRX classes. I don't understand why it matters so much to you how other people behave at the gym, assuming they're not leaving sweat all over the machines or whatever. Just let them use the gym the way they want to use it, and they'll let you use it the way you want to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This thread reminds me why I get panic attacks at the idea of going back to a (non physical therapy) gym.

Everybody can't work out at the same level. Some people have injuries or disabilities, even if they are not apparent through judgemental glances.

Count me in as one of those awful people who will be there for a short time, using the machines on the lowest intensity setting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh people talking to you at the gym can be the worst! I worked out at Crunch for years, and they had so many thirsty trainers, that would talk for ages and try and make you feel like crepe about your body or your work out so that you'd train with them, and often they weren't very good! I have the worst resting bitchface when I work out, because I have things that I need to do that don't including having a sales conversation.

I met my ex, who was a trainer at my gym, so I do sometimes talk to guys at the gym. My ex was so lovely. ::reverie::

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:12 pm 
BAD PASS

I have a strict no eye-contact policy at the gym.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:19 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I don't like to talk to strangers, and even at my fairly intimate yoga studio it takes me a lot of time to warm up to people. I reserve the right to ignore whomever I want.

Including the socially inept guy who was chatting me up (unwillingly on my part) after class this evening about what I wanted to do with my LIFE and whether I even HAD any DREAMS. Get out of my face, goodbye.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I kinda love the social aspect of the gym. My boyfriend and I saw a couple from the gym at Target only we didnt know they were a couple! They are both ALWAYS at the gym and it was kinda like seeing a celebrity. They are both really tan and ripped.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:40 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

lavawitch wrote:
This thread reminds me why I get panic attacks at the idea of going back to a (non physical therapy) gym.

Everybody can't work out at the same level. Some people have injuries or disabilities, even if they are not apparent through judgemental glances.

Count me in as one of those awful people who will be there for a short time, using the machines on the lowest intensity setting.

Yes!

Also, you never know when a person is on an active recovery day, not feeling well, or struggling with whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If people talk to me at the gym, I'm gonna be pissed. The thing I like most about mine is that everyone seems focused on doing their own thing and not worrying about what everyone else is doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:48 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

jordanpattern wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Yes!

Also, you never know when a person is on an active recovery day, not feeling well, or struggling with whatever.

I didn't mean to say that people who come in for short workouts are bad or wrong! I was just really confused by the 3 minute weight lifting, but some people here gave me some good insights into that. I hope I didn't contribute to scarring anyone away by asking why someone would do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:18 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

torque wrote:
you describe the situation in gyms here to a tee! I have been here 8 years and only this year found a gym where the situation you describe is not the case. Interestingly, it is a women-only gym, which I always found kind of a funny concept, but decided to give a try since it was close to my house. None of the meat market preening, no caveman weight throwing, no people sitting on machines for long periods of time while forking about with their cell phones and people are waiting to use the machines.

I just joined a lady gym and I love it! I don't get creeped on and I don't feel intimidated in the weights area. Best thing is I don't feel like I have to wear a big tent shirt and die from heat exhaustion just to hide my giant bouncing boobs and pokey nipples. It's so calm and lovely! I wish I'd found it sooner.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:15 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

jordanpattern wrote:
worldrunner79 wrote:

Lots of people have all kinds of insecurities and anxieties about the gym. I don't think it's fair to call people rude because they don't want to engage in even a menial level of social niceties. Sure, people can do body weight exercises at home if they don't want to be social, but they probably don't have squat racks, eliptical machines, or TRX classes. I don't understand why it matters so much to you how other people behave at the gym, assuming they're not leaving sweat all over the machines or whatever. Just let them use the gym the way they want to use it, and they'll let you use it the way you want to.

Where to start...
The attitude of entering into a gym and not acknowledging the existence of anybody for whatever reason communicates:"The world would be a better place for me, if you were not here." We are all sweaty we are all out of breath, we are all self-conscious. The gorilla grunting lifting the heavy weights is, he is hurt and desperately looking for someone to say to him: "Hey you are ok, I'm glad you came today". The tired guy who can't keep up with the routine and therefore pretends to be on an important call or SMS reply, not letting anybody else use the machine that he is occupying. Really everybody is self conscious there to a certain degree, and the tension and self-consciousness increases by not showing empathy to each other.
To me the gym is a place where I like to spend a few hours of quality spare time. If it was for getting fit only really I could train all of my muscles in all intensities I want at home, also cardio. As a place where I like to spend quality time, I like to feel greeted and welcomed whenever I'm there. Going to the same gym and being there at the same time, specially once you go regular makes you part of a team, those guys are my team, we go there and work our assess for the same goal, "become to our singular point of view a better version of ourself."
The atmosphere in a gym where everyone greets each other changes a lot and makes it a really pleasant place to be and feel good. It doesn't mean to go there just to talk, a small greeting from the distance, smile when you see the other guy struggling with something, etc. Those little details make such a big difference on the overall experience on spending your time there. When there is one or two who go there with the: "no eye contact, policy" is no problem. But when around 1/3 or more of the people goes there acting like that the overall experience of being int he gym decreases drastically. Everybody instead of being part of a team becomes a rival, and people start thinking that as long as they do not left the equipment sweaty, their selfish, apathetic behaviour at the gym is impecable.

The difference between working out in the gym than working out at home is that the gym offers the opportunity to work on your self-confidence, empathy and many other social skills that can't be worked out at home.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:31 am 
WRETCHED

Going into a gym in your own world means you are there to workout and not socialize, not that the world would be a better place without other people.

I've belonged to all sorts of gyms over the years. Certain places tend to be more social - Crossfit, smaller gyms and class based gyms or classes within gyms. Larger gyms though have people of all types and a lot of those people are just there to get their workout done and get out. My job is not to stroke the ego of some guy who is probably lifting wrong and looks like he is about to hurt himself.

I'm a bit more social than most introverts and I belong to a small gym now where people do tend to greet each other but I knew that going in. It is also a 24 hour gym so if I wanted to really not talk to anyone, I could pick a time to go where I wouldn't have to. Larger gyms are definitely more geared for the people that are heads down in their workout but even at my smaller gym, there are many people who are that way and that is ok.

I work out in a gym because as much as I love my kitties and puppies, sometimes I'd prefer to have a dedicated workout where I don't have dogs running around, cats meowing at me or whatever else. It is a way to get away from the distractions and be able to focus on 1 thing, a workout.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:25 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Perfect that one is there 100% focused on a workout, or that having had a bad day and do not want to meet anybody.
Yet it is very easy to spot someone who is 100% focused in their workout or who had a bad day and does not want to be disturbed at the moment, but that once finishing an exercise, tells you its your turn, or at least smiles at you.

And people who every-time go inside avoiding all possible human contact and spend most of the time looking at their mobile phone than working out. Usually arriving to the gym super arranged and coming out of it without sweating one drop.

That attitude to my opinion is rude and creates a bad atmosphere.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:28 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I think you have less of an issue with gym etiquette than you do with introverts in general.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:37 am 
WRETCHED

I will say I never go to the gym when its super busy because I don't like being around that many people so I never have people waiting for whatever I'm doing plus I do a lot of my own thing. If someone is occupying an area I want to be in, I do something else. So it is perfectly easy to go in, get a workout done, come out sweating and never talk to anyone.

But yes, sounds like you don't like introverts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:50 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

worldrunner79 wrote:
The difference between working out in the gym than working out at home is that the gym offers the opportunity to work on your self-confidence, empathy and many other social skills that can't be worked out at home.

Perhaps you should reread this and take your own advice.

I am not at the gym for anyone's amusement but my own. There are times where I don't particularly feel the need to socialize with random strangers, one being when I am covered in sweat.

It's quite simple. If someone doesn't want to engage in a philisophical conversation about life with you, they don't have to. It doesn't make them rude or lack empathy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:57 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Forget entire conversations! They don't even have to smile if they don't want to!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:06 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

allularpunk wrote:
Forget entire conversations! They don't even have to smile if they don't want to!

Yes! Social interactions of any kind are not required by any means!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next